Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson lost two fingers in a fireworks accident, in which the explosive device he was holding failed to fire as he expected.
According to Coleen Harry of WBTV, Wilson’s father said his son lost the middle and index fingers during a Fourth of July party gone wrong.
He was holding a Roman candle-type device, which exploded as he held it, rather than firing outward.
Wilson is undergoing a second surgery now, although to this point his medical records have not been published.
The 25-year-old cornerback was back in his hometown of Lincolnton, N.C., where he had just completed a football camp to give back to his community.