Jadeveon Clowney wasn’t impressed by Nick Saban

Getty Images

“I’m not going to be the Alabama coach” Alabama coach Nick Saban thrives at the college level and sputtered in the NFL because he’s a great recruiter — and because recruiting has much greater value where there’s no draft or salary cap. But not everyone thinks Saban’s forked tongue is coated in silver. (That’s not a specific knock on Saban; pretty much every high-level football coach tells something other than the truth from time to time, usually for strategic reasons.)

Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, in a quote from a new book about Saban, wasn’t impressed by one of the most successful coaches in the history of college football.

I don’t see no big deal like everybody else,” Clowney said in Saban: The Making of a Coach, via Greg Rajan of the Houston Chronicle. “They’d say, ‘He’s the king of all of football.’ The guy ain’t nothing but 5-5. He’s a short guy. Everybody’s going crazy on Nick Saban.

“He talked the whole time he was there. I was dozing off. He can talk. A lot. He talked for a whole straight hour.”

As it turns out, Saban was wasting his time. For Clowney, there was one factor that kept him from going to Alabama: The 3-4 defense. If Saban ran a 4-3, Clowney would have signed up right away.

88 responses to “Jadeveon Clowney wasn’t impressed by Nick Saban

1. While Clowny’s point of view may be spot on, he really should keep a low profile based on the results of his first season.

Saban got beat by a 3rd string QB and also from a run back of field goal which should never have been attempted.

Saban has had the same success as Rodger Goodell.

Goodell is successful because the company he works for has everyone fan and business want to be part of it no matter how hard he tries to screw it up. Same thing with Saban’s Schools.

2. “He’s a short guy.”

I guess its a good thing we dont judge the success of a coach based on their height then, huh Jadeveon???

-Abraham Lincoln

3. I’m pretty sure that the direct-to-video Sleeping Beauty VI had a plot where Sleepy and Dopey have an injury prone kid named Clowney.

4. There’s more to sports then athletic ability and you are going to find out this season when you play against professionals. I always wanted this guy to do good but Saban is one of the greatest college coaches of his era and I hate Alabama.

5. Saban is right where he should be. In college. As we’ve seen, he’ll excel when the talent advantage of his players absolutely dwarfs that of his peers. And he can crack the whip on the college kids too.

In the NFL, the immense talent advantage cannot be created by an aggressive team of recruiters and a sales pitch.

And trying to be a hard guy on full grown men, NFL players no less — doesn’t fly quite as well either.

Finally, the stressors at the NFL level dwarf those at the college level — and as we often see, Saban gets pretty edgy time and time again, at the stresses produced at just the college level.

6. Sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

-Abraham Lincoln
    ———
    Pretty sure that quote is Mark Twain
    -Albert Einstein

7. I’m not a diehard fan of Saban but hearing Clowney remark about Saban’s height shows how simplistic of a mind he possesses.

8. Never been a fan of Saban, but seriously, anyone who doesn’t have even an elementary school grasp of the English language shouldn’t be allowed to say anything.

9. NFL players should get lessons on presentation and speaking skills, like business people do.

Jadeveon Clowney sounds like a clown when he speaks.

10. Once again Jadaveon has opened his mouth and gone all clowny. As anyone with and fraction of a brain knows, the job of the head coach is to run a program that wins a lot of games and height/weight combos obviously have little to do with coaching acumen. This is a classic case of a dumb guy showing off how dumb he can be when given the opportunity.

11. I’m sure Saban “don’t see no big deal” Ina first overall pick with little to no team contributions to date. The Texans already wised up and jettisoned your play buddy DJ SwearICantCoveringer…….they’d be even wiser to make Clowney next

12. Clowney was smart to keep his mouth shut during the recruiting visit. Had he said anything to Saban, Saban probably would have realized that Clowney wasn’t a top character guy. In fact, Clowney should probably use that strategy a lot more.

13. Clowney?? does he play football.. or is he always injured or taking plays off?? I never thought much about him, still dont..

14. Haha. Once again an athlete tells us how he really feels and we hammer him for it. I guess we all just like the boring mundane Tom Brady style responses. Oh well

15. Not that I’m a Saban fan because I never watch college football and don’t care the slightest about it, but if his big criticism is the guy is short I have to think that Clowney isn’t very smart if he equates raw height or physical size as the main factor in success.

16. How in the world does someone with a college level education speak that poorly? Is English his 2nd language? Goodness man, my 4 year speaks better and more coherently than him.

17. In about 5 years when Clowney is out of the NFL and has blown all his money, he’ll probably be impressed by guys coming into the McDonalds he’ll be working at and ordering a supersized meal.

18. Wow didn’t realize Clowney was so limited in his abilities to speak coherently.

Saban has mastered college football just like Calipari has mastered college basketball.

Meanwhile I don’t see Clowney having the work ethic or intelligence to last more than 4 or 5 NFL seasons.

Terrible #1 pick

19. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jul 10, 2015 12:53 PM
    _________________________________________
    Not being critical of you at all because I have found its very hard to watch as much college football as I used to since leaving College, but I wonder do you not have time or just not like college football?

While the college system has flaws just like the NFL does, I like to be able to watch the guys develop that i will be cheering for or against in future years….It also seems to limit some of the unwarranted hated I have towards teams because they draft players I really enjoyed watching in college like Leveon Bell, AJ Green, and Eli

20. hey, at least they didn’t draft Manziel #1.

thanks again though for passing on Bridgewater, who probably wasn’t worth #1 but would’ve been a steal at 33.

21. He was asked, by the author of a book about Saban, about his recruitment by Saban and his impression.

He gave his recollection of what it was like during that recruiting visit. So what’s the problem?

Some of you posters need to look in the mirror. I’m guessing you won’t see anything close to successful as Clowney.

22. rjpats says:
    Jul 10, 2015 12:02 PM

-Abraham Lincoln
    ———
    Pretty sure that quote is Mark Twain
    -Albert Einstein

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has also been attributed to Benjamin Franklin.

-Harry Potter.

23. Good thing Clowney is a player and not a decision maker. He’d probably hire Manute Bol as his head football coach.

24. Why people care so much about minor league ball ill never get. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the minor league teams nearby, but its just something to kill an afternoon, nothing to be obsessed about.

25. bksk07 says:Jul 10, 2015 1:29 PM

———————————————————-

I see you’re attempting to say something….Do you need to try again?

26. Clowney on the verge of being one of the biggest busts of all time and he’s talking smack about one of the greatest college football coaches ever?

27. Clowney is the prototype rock-dumb football player. Why do we need to know what his opinion is about anything? I guess if Nick Saban were 6’6 and 275lbs he would be something?

Moron.

28. Who will be in the Football College Hall of Fame, Clowney or Saban . Also I love to see Clowney IQ next to Coach Saban IQ.

29. What does height have to do with the mental aspect of coaching and being an executive of an organization? You don’t have be a giant or even a former NFL player to be a great coach. One of the greatest military commanders in history, Napoleon Bonaparte, was only 5’5″.

Also, the last sentence contradicts his previous statement that he wasn’t “impressed” with Saban. If he was so unimpressed with Saban then what difference would the defensive scheme matter? Last, if a recruit fell asleep while we were talking to him, I would have have sent him packing right away, no matter who he is.

30. rjpats says:
    Jul 10, 2015 12:02 PM

-Abraham Lincoln
    ———
    Pretty sure that quote is Mark Twain
    -Albert Einstein

In conclusion, there is no substantive evidence that this popular adage was coined or employed by Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain. The earliest ascriptions to these famous figures appeared many years post death. QI thinks that Maurice Switzer is currently the top choice for coiner of the expression though future data may reveal alternative claimants.

31. steelerben says:
    Jul 10, 2015 1:19 PM

rjpats says:
    Jul 10, 2015 12:02 PM

-Abraham Lincoln
    ———
    Pretty sure that quote is Mark Twain
    -Albert Einstein

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has also been attributed to Benjamin Franklin.

-Harry Potter.

************************************************

And Oscar Wilde…

– Keyser Söze

************************************************

And the Bible…

-Ronald Mcdonald, but not that Ronald Mcdonald, the other one, the one whose brother owned a farm

32. Saben is incredibly overrated as a coach. I think he’s a very good college coach, but that’s it. He couldn’t hack it in the pro’s because of his inflated ego. He makes excuses when he loses and never compliments a team that beats Alabama. A good coach can coach at any level. He can’t. The guy is a stone cold tool.

33. Of course Clowney dozed off when Saban spoke. Clowney has been doing that his whole career, which is why he’s nothing more than a waste of raw physical talent and will never achieve even a fraction of what he should.

34. I hope they interview this idiot after every game.
    SC you should be proud at what you have produced. Did he graduate? And to think school never cost him a cent. Sad.

35. As a Texans fan, I wanted Khalil Mack at #1 and Teddy Bridgewater (or Derek Carr) at #33. Everyone called me crazy because Clowney was a “once in a generation talent”.

Yeah, how’s that working out?

36. Clowney will be a bust. All his hype came from one play against Michigan in a bowl game where he hit the Rb in the backfield becaus r he was unblocked. He’s another espn created hype job who will never live up to his supposed “upside” and “potential”

37. No wonder everyone questioned it when this clown was drafted. Not even 1 measly year under his belt and he’s already showing his RG3-style colors.

38. Sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

-Abraham Lincoln
    ———
    Pretty sure that quote is Mark Twain
    -Albert Einstein

It was actually from Proverbs 17:28 about 6 thousand years ago.

39. Didnt the Texans interview this guy before they drafted him? if he is that dumb where he can’t speak elementary English….geez….another Pacman Jones…” I didn’t go to no strick club.”

40. Wait, what?

“I don’t see no big deal”

So he’s saying he does see a big deal. Thanks for the insight Jadeveon.