Report: Kam Chancellor wants more money, threatens holdout

Getty Images

Seattle safety Kam Chancellor may not be there when the Seahawks report to training camp.

Chancellor wants more money and has told the Seahawks he is strongly considering a holdout, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

The 27-year-old Chancellor still has three seasons remaining on the contract he signed in 2013 and is scheduled to count $5.65 million against the Seahawks’ salary cap this year, so he wouldn’t appear at first blush to have a lot of leverage.

But he’s an important part of the league’s best defense, and he becomes even more important with the Seahawks’ secondary depleted by the shoulder injury suffered by Earl Thomas in the Super Bowl, an injury that may keep Thomas out at the start of the regular season. And the Seahawks showed last year with Marshawn Lynch that they’re willing to re-do a player’s deal if that’s what they need to do to get that player in camp.

So Chancellor might have a shot at a raise if he plays his cards right. And if he holds out for a significant period of time, the Seahawks will be scrambling at safety.

128 responses to “Report: Kam Chancellor wants more money, threatens holdout

1. Unlike the others who held out for the Seahawks for Money, I actually think we should give him a slight raise due to his importance to this Seattle defense compared to the others who have been asking for money,(Bennett,Irvin)

2. Love it. Now we will see if Pete can compete with Bill when it comes to keeping a contender together for an extended period of time. Your move Pete.

3. Great I hope all this festers all season long and these guys have a 2015 like my niners did last year. I want to come here and opine on every derogatory article posted and to laugh at every loss and point to the fact that everyone is happy when everyone is getting peanuts. Kam knows Wilson is about to blow up the cap with his mediocrity disguised by Lynch and Kam as the enforcer similar to Arn Anderson of the 4 horsemen. This is riveting entertaining mess all orchestrated by a gum chomping megalomaniac who insist on running a loose ship. Couldn’t happen to better people

4. The Patriots circle the wagons and prepare to fight….The Seahawks are all about themselves…PATS WIN AGAIN!!!!

5. Love it. Now we will see if Pete can compete with Bill when it comes to keeping a contender together for an extended period of time. Your move Pete.

He can’t hear you. He got wind of some sort of cheating scandal in the NFL and went into hiding as a reflex.

6. Compared to the other safety contracts and especially the guaranteed money he definitely deserves to be paid more.

7. .
    The Seahawks success is starting to bite them in the butt. Part of the reason for league parity is that teams ” can’t pay everyone”.

Unfortunately for Seattle fans, it looks like their season will be 50% salary issues and 50% football issues.

8. He just wants more money because he knows he’s never gonna win another title with seattle with the new drug testing policy

9. Once the Seahawks restructured Marshawn Lynch’s deal, the other guys looked around and ask, “What about me?”

Bennett, Chancellor and others see Russell Wilson, holding out for ‘respect money,’ and they have to feel they are just as important to the team’s success as Wilson.

10. The inevitable growing pains of having the best and deepest roster in the league. It’ll all work out over time with some patience (and financial engineering)!

11. Once this team re signs Russ they are screwed. I believe 40 percent of their cap is tied up between Sherman and Thomas. Throw in Cam wanting more and Russ and other key players will be gone. I think I can speak for most of us when saying I cannot wait for the Hawks to be irrelevant again.

12. Wow Wilson hasn’t been paid in his NFL career as much as Kam is going to be paid this year and people are calling for Kam to be paid before Wilson? makes sense.

13. The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round….and fall off.

14. whynotjustadmitit says:

2nd best thing after hearing Brady suspension is upheld is hearing another Seahawk player wanting more money.

==============================

interesting, so your only thought of how your team could possibly improve is to tear down the top two teams.

what a loser’s mentality that is.

1969 Jets
    1978 Dolphins
    wide right Bills

is that you?

15. Beauty of the salary cap is it forces teams to make tough moves, but jeez how many of these players are going to turn into Revis and just hold out every time they want a raise?

16. gdbroker says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:12 PM

——————————————————

Bill has never kept a contender together, it’s why he’s only won 4 superbowls and not 8.

A good GM and the Pats could have won 10 in 15 years.

17. So it begins, Seattle. Too many super stars on one team. Can’t keep the band together forever.

18. This “report” is an Ian Rapoport tweet.

If I’m not mistaken, Mike Florio discredits him at every opportunity.

No reason to believe Kam will miss time.

19. mississippininerfan says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:15 PM
    ___________________________________________________
    You’re kind of a sad person, aren’t you? I feel sorry for you to have such anger and bitterness.

20. warrensip says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:38 PM
    gdbroker says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:12 PM

——————————————————

A good GM and the Pats could have won 10 in 15 years.
    ________________________________________

How many SBs has the current Seattle regime won? Let’s not forget how many SBs the Hoodie lost, i.e., made it to, either. I think Hoodie has done alright.

“Only won 4.” That made me laugh out loud.

I wish Tomlin had “only won 4” so far.

21. I get the impression that an internet search of the words “cap” and “strapped” will soon result in about a zillion references to the Seahawks.

22. Why are all these people commenting want to see the Seahawks fail. Why not hope for your teams success rather than the dimise of another team. How sad.

23. Kam should have Russell ask his BFF God what he think he should do and how much he should ask for…

Give full credit to Pete Carroll on drafting talent extremely well… but that gravy train/window is over and now players are holding their hands out.

Honeymoon is over.

24. Kam definitely deserves a raise as he is the best and hardest hitting SS in the league. The Hawks will be a great team again this year but I can’t see a way where that locker room isn’t going to be filled with dissension.

25. Screw it, as a Hawks fan I liked this team so much better 3 years ago. So this is what success and egos do..this is pathetic.. I even have a # 31 jersey.. the bottom line is they signed a CONTRACT.. honor it and drive on..

26. wonder if the fans will hold out and wait to get paid..i mean they do believe they are the 12th man right..

27. Boona says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:45 PM

—————————————————————-

Because their arrogant, obnoxious bandwagon fan base brought it upon themselves.

28. If I was the GM I would tell him to come to work or get sued for breach of contract.

29. I saw this happening after their super bowl win. I knew there was no way they would keep that secondary together. Not when there are teams out there that would pay any one of those guys 8 to 12 mil a year. My Eagles just paid the worst one an average of 9 a year. So yeah, Cam is underpaid. I’d have probably taken him over Maxwell even though corners are generally regarded as more important than safeties. Cam is a beast and underated on that squad. I always felt Cam and Wagner were the heart of that D.

30. Get him out of there. A player or players who become a cancer on the team need to be given the boot.

31. But Wilson can carry this team to the SB all by himself right seahawk fans? Isn’t he the best qb ever and deserves to be the highest paid qb in the league despite how it’s going to tear this team apart.

32. bostontdparty

It’s simple really. If your team struggles, my teams chances improves. NFC is won through you.

If anything take what i said as a compliment ya big baby.

33. @ the posters calling me sad I will be that. The arrogant players, coaches, especially fans have forced me to hate everyone associated with that organization and yes I don’t care if my team looses every game as long as that team and fan base ultimately experience the same pain as me and many niner fans have the last three years. Butlers interception started it and all indications are that these guys have dissension within the ranks and I hope it destroys them.

34. Teams often take their cues ftom the QB, when your QB is acting like a passive aggressive diva that seems to care most about being the highest paid at his position, what do you expect?

Seattle is learning the realities of the salary cap world.

#Lifecomesatyoufast

35. I’m sure if Wilson was under contract for $10 mil a year, they’d give him what he wants. Right? I know Brandon Browner, Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell, etc., etc. would agree. But stick to that talking point for those billionaires who fed it to you that if they pay Wilson, they’ll have to “destroy” the team. You’re good at parroting it.

36. Once they caved & gave Beast Mode a raise last year, the mold was cast. You can’t blame the players either. You don;t get more money from an employer unless you ask for it in most cases. This one falls squarely on Schneider.

How is this team going to field an O-line and D-line with all the other players that need to be paid? If I were one of the legions of bandwagon Hawk fans, the losses and lack of proven players in the trenches (aside from Bennett) is what I would be concerned about the most.

37. Love all the Hawks hate… you bunch of pussssieies have fun watch your teams do nothing next year V’s and watching Hawks get to SB….Cheatroits***..Gay Bay…Hackers/Chokers….etc…

38. Its harder to find a good QB than it is to find a good safety and besides that, Kam already signed a contract.

39. Hold out Kam. It’s on you. Seahawks need to get tough on this garbage. I’m fine with less football success for this team if it means they get back to the love of football and not ridiculous contract drama.

Football is a business. And greedy players are draggin this business into the dirt. So upset with my team right now!

40. Damn, my team is turning into the Seattle “Me-Hawks” ! Logically, if you’re saying Russell Wilson doesn’t deserve more than $21M per year (which at this point i’m inclined to agree with) based on the fact that a large contingency claims that RW is only as good as he is due to the defense then according to that though process management should pay the defense “anything” that they want. It’s all about them correct? However, the guys got “3” years remaining on his contract and he’s Whining??? Damn, we are in trouble…..

41. Goddammit, every time I become a huge fan of a player for what they do on the field, they disappoint the crap outta me by showing what kind of person they are off of the field. I’m trying to think of one player who I respect because of their actual personality (as opposed to despite or it). I’m drawing a blank. Oh wait, Joe Montana – still Class.

42. The Cheaphawks are up to their same old tight-wad ways.

Russ and Kam deserve to be paid like the highest paid players in the league.

Time to open up the vault Pete…

43. robo1212 says:
    Jul 29, 2015 1:27 PM
    What ever happened to honor a signed contract.
    ———

What exactly is Kam doing that’s not honoring his contract? There are penalties involved for a player not showing up for training Camp or games and with Kam holding out and being subject to those penalties he IS honoring the contract. If he decides he is not going to pay the penalties and the Seahawks push it that would be not honoring the contract.

If owners wanted to prevent veteran hold outs they would have placed a clause in the last CBA that prevents any contract renegotiation throughout most of the contract…..just like they did with rookie contracts. But they didn’t so hold outs for renegotiated contracts are a part of the game….just like teams threatening to cut players unless they renegotiate to a contract more favorable to the team is a part of the game…..shrugs……make all NFL contracts fully guaranteed and prevent holdouts or stop talking about this phantom “honor” your contract clause that doesn’t exist for either side.

44. gdbroker says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:12 PM
    =====================

You mean Pete has to come up with various methods of cheating?

45. Isn’t it fun to be rooting for a good football team that has to deal with stuff like this? We’ve spent a lot of years here in the Northwest wondering if our team was going be able to win 8 games, this is great. When all is said and done, the Seahawks are a better team this year than they were last year. Much more and better depth, not to mention a certain star tight end. The schedule seems a little tough, especially early, but in the end they will be right there again competing for another championship. I Love these guys.

Its also great hearing all the whining and jealousy from fans around the country wishing and hoping for the Seahawks’ demise. Especially the 49ers. Sorry fella’s, ain’t happening anytime soon.

And I don’t get the Patriots’ fans on here all the time running down the Seahawks and their fans. Didn’t you guys win the game? You sure sound like a bunch of losers to me.

46. Can’t wait for the 12th man to hold out for more money. It’s a matter of time… i mean they’re just as important as Lynch, Wilson, Chancellor, right?? Just ask them.

47. Seahawks are screwed man, good luck paying all of these studs. Just wait for Sherman he’ll probably ask to be the highest paid corner in history

48. So much concern about the Hawks and so many “long time Hawk fans” with brand new names that are now down on the team.

You know other fans are worried when they go to the trouble of making up new names.

LOL

49. particular rosters have a window of opportunity of 2-4 years. Injury, salary cap, age shuts that window pretty quickly. That may be happening now to the SeaHawks.

50. A bunch of hating childish comments as usual. Anyone who thinks Kam should only be making $5M per year is a total idiot. You darn right I’d hold out. Nobody puts his body on the line and through more abuse than Kam.

Back to your hate fest you babbling crybabies.

51. Release him and watch the stampede of 31 teams trying to sign him. He deserves more. Give it to him.

52. Not hating (anyone who reads my stuff knows that I hate the Cowboys but I also give them their propers when due) on Seattle, just being a realist. That’s why some of the Seattle fans talking about a dynasty a few years ago were told to slow their rolls. Dynasties are hard to achieve and maintain in the era of free agency and the salary cap. I’m NOT saying Pete and John can’t do it in Seattle (they’ve done a decent job so far) but you can’t pay ALL your personnel who deserve to be paid. Say what you will about him but fair-minded folks MUST give props to Bill Belichick for being able to manage his cap and personnel and keep his team relevant for almost 15 years.

53. This is what the salary cap is supposed to do – tear down the top teams.
    Time to trade some stars for draft picks Seattle.
    You can’t be emotional about it.
    Just look at the Patriots giving Seymour to the Raiders.
    Seymour is the best lineman the Pats ever had (sorry Vince but it’s true) but you can’t pay everybody.
    Turning down Revis is just the latest painful move in 15 years of understanding that it is a salary cap league.

54. purplepride11 says:
    Jul 29, 2015 1:30 PM

No one has mentioned how they have to pay a large salary to a tight end who can’t block.

——————————–

Brilliant move by Pete and John, my Saints are paying Jimmy Graham’s $13 million salary this season.

55. higheriqthanyou says:
    Jul 29, 2015 2:02 PM
    gdbroker says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:12 PM
    =====================

You mean Pete has to come up with various methods of cheating?

=====================

While at USC, Pete has forgotten more ways to cheat then Bill will ever know. They don’t call him “Cheat” Carol for nothing…….

56. Hey John, after this team implodes and is irrelevant again in 2-3 years, you will be welcome back to Green Bay with open arms, and just in time for Ted to retire.

57. Call them the MEhawks.

IMO, i’d pay the QB first before all others. How many teams are starved for QB vs other positions, namely safety?

58. Bill (Walsh) also had a tough time when the salary cap was put into place. He was also the beneficiary of working for a generous and wealthy owner who wanted to win.

59. LaCanfora is a hack! No one else is reporting this. He’s done this before, …starting baseless rumors. Like Benett, he probably made a comment about wanting to get a raise and LaCanfora runs with it as “Cam demands trade or will holdout!” He’s such a hack!!!

60. So in your mind, the biggest challenge to playing at the level they did last year is going to be a slightly injured shoulder for Thomas? Not the fact that Maxwell is playing in Philly?

61. rogerrodgers says:
    Jul 29, 2015 12:34 PM
    Chancellor holding out is music to the rest of the NFC West.

• • • • • •

Maybe Vernon Davis does have a bounce back season now 🙂

62. They could take a page from the Broncos book and cheat the salary cap to win SBs.

63. Chancellor wants to hold out but Wilson is willing to come to camp. Wilsons agent is crazy. No way my client would go to camp without a deal better than Cam Newton.

64. Kam’s problem is he is only a value to the team he is on.. In that system he is a great player. But only few teams still use an in the box safety as much as the Seahawks do. Kam might find his open market value not even as high as his current contract. I think what Kam can’t do hurts him in this argument.

65. This is getting too funny. I live in the Pacific Northwest and there are so many bandwagon fans here, its not even funny. When the Hawks and Steelers played in SB XL, there were minimal Hawk fans. Now, they are everywhere……It’s really quite sad.

Stat of the day: Russel Wilson has NEVER won a game where the defense has allowed 24 points or more!

66. This is for those Seahawk fans who think it will all work itself out. It won’t, you can only pay so many players like superstars. Russell Wilson will take whatever money is left.

67. So we have a lot of new fans. Why is that an issue? We have a lot of old ones too.

Do you think that Pittsburgh might have picked up a few new fans in 1984 after only making the playoffs 1 time in their 1st 40 years of existence?

You probably are one. I know a couple of guys who were in junior high in the 80’s and now they are life long Steeler fans. Never been to Pittsburgh in their lives but they sure love their Steelers. Now they’ve turned their kids into Steeler fans. Its kind of funny when you think about it.

68. While it’s easy to hate on the Seahawks due to their cheating coach, cheating and loudmouthed players, and bandwagon fans who have an un-explainable chip on their shoulder about the SF Bay Area, the team needs to pay their stars. They can do it by paying the core stars and fill the rest through younger players on rookie contracts. They’ve proven they have a good eye for talent.

69. The Seattle players must follow my friend “seahawksboymike” on comment sections. Seahawksboymike told me the Seahawks have a whole bunch of salary cap room. He told me they could sign Wilson to a 30 million dollar per year deal, extend everyone at top dollar and still sign Suh and AP (When Suh was available and the trade rumors were out about Peterson). Seahawksboymike would say give everyone good deals. No need to worry about the salary cap, Seattle will have 140 million in cap space in 2020. They won’t have anyone under contract, but they will have plenty of cap space, so they might as well spend it now. Right, Mike?

70. shlort says:
    Jul 29, 2015 4:27 PM

=========================

Huuhhhh, actually he didn’t.

You must be confused easily.

He said the top players had ALREADY been extended other than Wagner and Wilson.

He said NEXT YEAR after Wilson’s contract runs out the cap will go up and we could afford Wilson even at $30M per year.

He said “too bad we can’t afford Suh unless he’d take a reduced contract to win a SB”

Three strikes, you’re out.

71. Kam Chancellor took the 5 year $25 million contract a year before he became a star safety. The Seahawks will not at any point cut Chancellor during the three remaining years of his contract. Therefore, he should play it out and hopefully get another big contract.

72. dmwilliams0124 says:
    Jul 29, 2015 3:49 PM

=========================

Stat of the day…

No QB in NFL HISTORY has been as good as Wilson through their first three years!

73. If Wilson get more than $20 million/ year every player on defense will ask to redo their contract because the defense is the reason they’re winning not Wilson.
    I feel sorry for Bobby Wagner of all the players on the team … he is the most important piece. Remember the Seahawks slump last year … it happened the same time Wagner was out … hmmmmm.

74. 3rd in the division this year. They are heading in the wrong direction. Losing too many guys on the defense.

75. Kam’s problem is he is only a value to the team he is on.. In that system he is a great player. But only few teams still use an in the box safety as much as the Seahawks do. Kam might find his open market value not even as high as his current contract. I think what Kam can’t do hurts him in this argument.
    ———–
    Are you bleeping nuts!? KC is a FOOTBALL player! He’s a LINEBACKER playing SS! How many other LB’s play SS in the NFL? EVERY team in the NFL would make a positive use of KC’s talents, and KC would make EVERY NFL teams defense a better defense. The basics of football are about hitting and tackling. What SS does that better than KC? Who intimidates an offensive player more than KC? Stop with the nonsense, you sound plum foolish!

76. Seahawks can’t bend to any of these players demands at the moment.
    What happens if they pay one and not the other? Their brittle egos would be shattered.
    The only player I think the Seahawks should pay is Bobby Wagner.
    Hold Wilson off until next year.
    These other players making demands with multiple years left should be left to hold out until making more money means showing up to practice and playing the games to avoid the Fines, and No Pay.
    The NFLPA messed up the last player bargaining agreement. Everything is slanted towards ownership. It’s a raw deal, but it is what the players’ own union agreed to.
    I was hoping to have the Seahawks hold it together for one more Super Bowl run, and as a fan, if they won two out of three, with the top scoring Defense, again, it would be Historic on many levels.
    Second team to make it to three consecutive Super Bowls, but the first to win at least one. (poor Bills)
    To have another top scoring defense, would certainly vault this team above the 85 Bears, and the late 60’s and early 70’s Vikings who held it for multiple seasons in a row.

77. sumkat says:
    Jul 29, 2015 3:10 PM

___________

I take it you’re a Philly fan and I’m sure you’re excited about Maxwell. But don’t get too excited. He’s not an elite corner by any stretch. He’s good, maybe slightly better than average, but don’t expect him to be a Sherman/Revis/Haden/Grimes/Vontae Davis level corner. He’ll make good plays here and there but he gets absolutely abused way more frequently.

78. What it comes down to is this, money isn’t everything, its the ONLY thing. Everyone has a price! Money Money Money Money Moneeeey.

79. Kam is to the defense what lynch is to the offense. Essential. He would be the biggest loss followed by Wagner. They have to make him happy.

80. Man, these guys are whiny. Maybe you shouldn’t sign a 4 year contract if you’re going to get pissy one year in. He just wants a bigger piece before Wilson breaks the bank (will get to much, imo). Seattle needs to tell him to put on his big boy pants and get back to work.

81. The NFL is pretty much a joke. You have millionaires whining about not being paid enough and signing contracts that amount to little more than a sheet of toilet paper. What’s the point?

82. Hey non Seahawks fans on here. If i told you, based on what you know about how Kam plays, that he makes less than 5 Million, what would you say?