Junior Galette is no longer facing a civil suit in Louisiana related to his arrest earlier this year for misdemeanor battery.
The Redskins linebacker was accused of injuring a woman at his house and she later sued on grounds of mental and physical abuse. The criminal charge was later dropped and the civil suit was dismissed on Monday because, per Mike Triplett of ESPN.com, the woman failed to appear in court or hire a new lawyer after her initial one left the case in March.
Galette’s attorney Ralph Whalen said in a statement that he expected this outcome all along.
“From day one, we were confident that the frivolous civil suit and meritless criminal case would be swiftly dismissed,” Whalen said. “The civil suit came only after we flatly rejected her ex-lawyer’s shakedown to pay her $2 million in exchange for their not filing this baseless suit. Now, Junior can focus on football and put this incident, where he did nothing wrong, behind him.”
Galette was released by the Saints last month amid reports that he was a negative presence in the locker room and that the team had tired of off-field issues. He met with the NFL about those and may face league discipline at some point in 2015 even with both the criminal and civil cases off the docket.