Tom Brady gives $50,000 to the Jimmy Fund

AP

There was a bogus report making the rounds that, in court on Wednesday, the NFL and NFL Players Association would announce a settlement resulting in no suspension for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, no admission of guilt, and a $50,000 fine.

As it turns out, Brady will be paying $50,000 — as a donation to WEEI and NESN’s annual Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon.

Listen live to WEEI here, and visit the Jimmy Fund’s website to give something less than $50,000. Or more, if you are so inclined and able to do so without robbing a federally-insured savings institution.

43 responses to “Tom Brady gives $50,000 to the Jimmy Fund

1. Good post Mike. I’m a Brady fan (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A PATRIOTS FAN), and this is one of the many reasons why.

I encourage you all to give whatever you can to the Jimmy Fund, the support they provide for children and families dealing with this horrible disease can not be overstated. You will be hard pressed finding a more deserving charity. Even if it’s the $10 bucks you’d spend on lunch today, every little bit helps. Bang the link to WEEI and listen to some of the families and children talk about their fight and how the Jimmy Fund helped change their lives by making the best of an unimaginable situation.

2. Please no jokes here. This is a wonderful charity for the study to fight and cancer in children and support kids with cancer. The charity was started by the Boston Braves and continued by the Red Sox. Nice gesture by TB12 and I hope nobody ever has to experience what those kids and those families go through at Dana Farber.

3. skawh says:
    Aug 19, 2015 1:40 PM
    Send it back. It was earned from tainted wins.

iamkillerfin says:
    Aug 19, 2015 1:43 PM
    TAKE YOUR SUSPENSION FOR CHEATING & QUIT TRYING TO BE A GOOD GUY!!!
    ________________________

The hater is always more disturbed than the hated. Get some help

4. skawh
    Aug 19, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

Send it back. It was earned from tainted wins.

iamkillerfin
    Aug 19, 2015, 1:43 PM EDT
    TAKE YOUR SUSPENSION FOR CHEATING & QUIT TRYING TO BE A GOOD GUY!!!

******************************************

Both of you should be ashamed of yourselves for letting your hatred of a sports team/player, overshadow acknowledging (or just not commenting on) such a great deed. I hope neither of you ever find yourself in a situation where you need help from an organization like this, funded by generous donations by men like Tom Brady. I wonder if you’d be critiquing his contribution then.

5. 50k, wow.

That’s 10% of a game check before taxes not counting any bonuses.

Certainly noteworthy. Or it isn’t. It’s almost as if Tom is saying “I hired this PR firm to help repair my image and I pay you AND have to give more money away?”

6. If you know nothing about the Jimmy Fund, please don’t post here thinking you’re being funny. You’re not.

Hats off to you, Mr. Brady. Some of us can discern between the player and the philanthropists. The kids of New England who need the help will certainly appreciate it.

7. Bills fan and you know I hate the Patriots and I certainly don’t care for Brady, but even I can put those feelings aside for this great charity. Props to number 12!!!

8. Again the Jimmy Fund is an EXCELLENT charity & Brady has been in the league how long & donates just when he’s trying to clean up his image??? Kudos Tom but you are a cheater, & the patsies have been cheaters for years!!!

9. Great Charity and Great work done at Dana Farber…I know this personally…I have a friend who is alive today because of the help he got from Dana Farber…In fact he’s been written up in many medical journal’s as “a living miracle” for the treatments he had to go through…To see a thumbs down for a charity is just dumb…Thanks Mike Florio for pointing this out…And yes, I did make a donation through weei.

10. Jimmy Fund telethon has been going on for 14 years. I’m fairly certain Brady has donated before, only we are only hearing about it now because everyone is so hyper sensitized to everything Brady related.

That said, anyone who is dismissing the value of charities, in particular this one, which if you only do a little googling you will see is an AMAZING charity, simply needs to reevaluate their lives.

Hate Brady, hate the Patriots all you like, but try to be human about things that actually matter.

11. You can hate on TB, but don’t hate on the Jimmy Fund! and don’t hate on the Pan Mass Challenge!

Some would suggest $50k, whoopdy doo, he makes a gazillion. Before you dis, I ask you, where else does he donate? And to all, where do you contribute? Think about it. What can you do? and I point you back to my first paragraph, or comparable’s in your community. This is a GOOD thing, not a negative!

12. justwinbaby29 says:
    Aug 19, 2015 1:55 PM

That’s nice. But that’s like me putting a dollar in the church basket.
    ======================================

And I’m sure your church is grateful for all that you can do!

13. To those suggesting that the timing of Brady’s donation is questionable……..the Jimmy Fund telethon occurs annually around this time of year and Brady has made a donation EVERY year. He has no say in when the fundraiser occurs.

As suggested by others, can you dopes PLEASE separate your lust for the head of a sports figure from your indifference towards a deadly disease.

14. justwinbaby29 says:
    Aug 19, 2015 1:55 PM
    That’s nice. But that’s like me putting a dollar in the church basket.
    __________

Well, no. It’s like you putting $50,000 in a church basket. It doesn’t matter how much money Brady makes, overall. His 50 grand will do a lot more good than your dollar.

15. Are your own lives really so pathetic that now there is something wrong with charity?
    The hater is always more disturbed than the hated. Get some help

Great comment Jag! I couldn’t say it any better. The trolls keep exposing how sad and pathetic they are over a made up scandal that is being exposed in court. When you attack a guy for donating to a cause that fights cancer in children, you really have to be a loser! If you thumb down this comment, you are just they type of person I am talking about!

16. frankfortschooldropout says:
    Aug 19, 2015 2:07 PM

50k, wow.

That’s 10% of a game check before taxes not counting any bonuses.

—————————————————————-

And I assume you just agreed to donate 10% of your paycheck to charity? Since it is such a negligible gesture I’m sure you plan on exceeding that generosity and making it 20% of your next paycheck. That’s good because charities like the Jimmy Fund can use every dollar they get.

Good on you Mr. Brady.

17. Seriously, this is getting pathetic. Some of you need help for this Patriots/Brady hatred. I’m not joking. Step back and take a good look at how you’re spending this time in your day. Some of you post this stuff on every single Patriots/Brady story. I’m urging you to re-evaluate.

As others said, this charity fundraiser goes on every year at this time (I’ve volunteered twice for it, its awesome) and takes in millions (they were over a million as of this morning, haven’t checked it since though). Celebrities from all over the world (including the Yankees and Donald Trump) donate money. They don’t have to and they don’t need others scoffing at the amount. Its not up to others to decide how much people have to give. Just because you’re rich doesn’t mean you donate millions for everything. Every dollar means the world and if you’re not going to open your wallet (and even if you do), you have no right to dictate how anyone spends their money.

18. it’s $50k more than goodell has contributed… seems like a lot of you could use some time at church so hopefully the collection plate will get some love.

no press release, no text to adam schefter, just an email to someone running the telethon. hey NFL, maybe you should leak that one?

the man has been nothing but a class act. a fierce competitor on the field, sure, but has given back so much to the community over the years. this $50k is just the tip of the tip of the ice berg.

shoot, mort just reported brady hasn’t donated 11 of the past 12 years so i must be wrong ; /

responding to the trolls only fuels them. ignore them until they crawl back under the bridge where they belong.

19. Here is a thought for all of you who hate Brady, and think he’s a no good cheater:

The Jimmy Fund is well known throughout New England as being a great source of funds for the Dana Farber Institute which treats children with cancer.

It is the very best type of cause there is.

I challenge all of you Brady haters to go to WEEI in Boston on their website, and make a pledge of $20 each, it is time that you guys can outshine him, and hs $50,000. It’s time for you haters to put your money where your mouths are, for a good, no great cause, defeating childhood cancer.

20. Hey Florio, THANK YOU for publicizing the Jimmy Fund telethon. It is one of the most worthy charities out there.

Having lost several family members to cancer, its good to know that the Jimmy Fund does such great work for those most vulnerable.

+1 to Florio.

21. justwinbaby29 says:
    Aug 19, 2015 1:55 PM

That’s nice. But that’s like me putting a dollar in the church basket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, actually it’s not. 50 grand is 50 grand no matter how much money the giver makes. For most of the people I know that is a whole year’s salary. Are you saying what they make is insignificant?

And giving to a TRUE charity like the Jimmy Fund, one that the money goes directly to the affected families of children with serious diseases, is absolutely nothing like contributing to your own community church, where you get benefit. So you can collectively pay the professional minister, or pay the taxes on the church’s property. A church is just a religious country club and why it is exempt from taxes is a whole ‘nother discussion, not from here.

Lets just agree that a true charity does good for people in need, and the Jimmy Fund is a true charity.

I do find it amusing that the traditional few Pats haters are always first on any discussion related to the Patriots or Brady. You guys are really pathetic. You need to take a good long look in the mirror.

22. That’s cool…..but, I do have a couple questions.
    Has he made this kind of donation in prior years?
    Why was it made public?

Yes, I am saying that this looks like a PR move.

23. it’s $50k more than goodell has contributed

…more likely, it’s less…its just that Goodell doesn’t feel the need to bray about his good works.

24. Anyone posting negative comments on this thread (or even just trying to be funny) should be really ashamed of themselves….
    These people are actually much “sicker” than any of the Brave Kids fighting this battle!!

Negative commenters and haters on this thread: I challenge each of you to go to weei.com and donate to help these kids, and to put an end to this horrible disease….

You have time enough to comment on these threads; do you care enough to put your passions to something worthy???

25. skawh says:
    Aug 19, 2015 1:40 PM
    Send it back. It was earned from tainted wins
    ———————

28-24 looked all sorts of legit to me and everyone else.

Ouch.

26. Alas, people that don’t often diminish the acts of the people who do.

Brady is a doer both on and off the field.

That’s a fact.

27. The fact that people are criticizing a charity donation tells me all I need to know about Patriot hating trolls. Get a life