Glover Quin: Don’t blame the preseason, God meant for Jordy Nelson to get hurt

AP

When Packers receiver Jordy Nelson suffered a serious knee injury in Sunday’s preseason game, it intensified the already prevalent questions around the league about whether it’s time to cut back on the preseason. But one NFL player believes that there’s no point in doing that.

Lions safety Glover Quin said today that God will decide every player’s fate, and changing the NFL’s preseason schedule can’t change that.

“I hated Jordy got hurt, but in my beliefs, and the way I believe, it was — God meant for Jordy to get hurt,” Quin said. “So if he wouldn’t have got hurt today, if he wouldn’t have played in that game, if he wouldn’t have practiced anymore, and the next time he walked on the field would have been opening day, I feel like he would have got hurt opening day. So in that sense, now they’ve got three weeks to make adjustments and prepare before opening day, as opposed to it happening opening day and now you’re in the season and now Jordy gets hurt. It happening in the preseason, you hate that it happened, but that gives them time to make adjustments and try to find something.”

Quin is entitled to believe that God decides everything that will happen on a football field, but if we follow his logic, where do we stop? Should the NFL not bother with any player safety rules because God will decide which players get hurt? Should NFL teams not bother having doctors on the sidelines because God will decide which players to heal?

Although Quin made clear that he respects Nelson and feels badly for any fellow player who gets hurt, his comments don’t make a lot of sense. The NFL has an obligation to take steps to keep players safe, and it would be wrong for the league to simply shrug off injuries as God’s will.

172 responses to “Glover Quin: Don’t blame the preseason, God meant for Jordy Nelson to get hurt

1. So what/who made Rodgers decide to throw the ball high to a wide open Jordy Nelson? Maybe if it wasnt a high ball he wouldnt have landed in a bad way.

2. “God intended for this to happen. Next time one of the guys on MY team gets hurt though, the guy responsible had better get suspended.”

3. Most overrated secondary in the league. Rodgers will still torch you with a high school wide out. The Lions DBs are going to get heavily exposed without Suh anymore. He will regret saying this, karma will get ’em!

4. Every time I think I’ve heard the dumbest thing ever said, someone manages to top it…

5. icanspeel says:
    So God is not a Packers fan huh
    ______________________

I wouldn’t bet on that. He certainly has a lot more love for them than he does for the Lions anyway.

In any case, God proposes, man disposes.

6. khenien says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:29 PM
    This right here is a perfect example of what turns people off to religion.
    _______________

Having an IQ over 50 turned me off to religion.

7. Pretty pathetic theology. I’ve read most of it, and for thousands of years, human free will has always been primary in pretty much all religion. If you read the history of the subject, this is pretty weak.

8. Players get hurt, driving home, or cutting up cole slaw, or once a player was shoveling snow and slipped, fracturing a wrist,,,IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PRESEASON

9. In the case of the Lions, GOD is Bobby Layne. And although he didn’t “write it in stone” he delivered the message that still stands today.

10. contra74
    Aug 24, 2015, 1:27 PM CDT

————

If I were you, I’d be a little more worried about why teddy can’t seem to connect with a WR who is more than 7 yards downfield, why Patterson doesn’t seem to have any clue where to run, and why Walsh can’t even make an extra point (hint: it’s not Loeffler’s fault).

11. But let’s not forget that through this fully planned and out of your control existence god has created for you that you also have the free will to be who you want.

Makes perfect sense.

12. Glover Quin, you don’t know God’s plan, no human does, so please shut up and keep that nonsense to yourself

13. I understand why everyone chooses to make fun of this, I really do.

But, if you think of it from the other side what he’s saying also makes sense. One would assume that he believes that God is omnipotent. This means that God is everywhere and doing everything, including the “more important” things everyone thinks He/She should be doing. If you believe that God has a plan for everyone, then it makes sense to believe that God wanted Jordy Nelson to be injured to help him fulfill that plan.

I’m not saying that *I* believe this. Just that I can understand why Quin does. It is too easy to judge without thinking, which is the problem so many have with religion.

14. Now that we know that Glover Quin has a direct line to God, could you kindly ask him what on God’s green earth did the Minnesota Vikings do to fail so miserably on the grand stage in all 4 Superbowls and the last 5 NFC championships?

It’s almost like the Devil is a Viking fan, or least so it seems.

15. For a guy on a team whose QB gets injured just getting out of bed, I’m a tad bit surprised by the statement.

2015 season

W/L
    Packers 2-0
    Lions 0-2

Points For
    Packers – 68
    Lions – 23

Quin can thank God for the Bears too right away, while he’s at it. May be the only team they beat all year.

16. The over/under on how many regular season games Glover Quin plays before karma catches up with him is 6.

Place your bets, Thumbs up=more, thumbs down=less.

17. This is the same mindset as that terrible “Jesus take the wheel” song. Every person’s fate is entirely in the hands of God so even if I stop steering my vehicle, God’s will will be done.

Hey, people can believe what they want to believe, but this seems like an infantile view of the world.

18. In a sudden turn of events, the courts have overturned the concussion settle with the NFL. It appears GOD, not the NFL, was responsible for player concussions. Ironically, the NFL does see any difference in the ruling.

19. It’s sad when individuals think God hurts people. Accidents happen, in the end God will judge us on how we handled all situations during our life time…..

20. God must really really hate the NY giants then. God must love their training staff though because they retain their jobs year after year, after half their team is hurt year after year.

21. if everything that happens is god’s plan, including all of the suffering of innocent people throughout the history of mankind, he is one weird and sadistic jerk that no one should be worshipping.

22. khenien says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:29 PM
    This right here is a perfect example of what turns people off to religion.

106 12

Those people are already “turned off” to faith. Glover does not speak for God.

23. Well, Jim Caldwell has said several times he prefers to have players with strong moral values, including faith in God.

Who knows what the hell Caldwell is preaching to these guys?!? As he is one of Jim’s mentors, have you ever heard some of the nonsense coming out of Tony Dungy’s mouth?

Guess God didn’t very much like Stephen Tulloch doing the ‘discount double-check’ dance last year, either.

At the end of the day, neither God nor the refs have much love for the Lions.

24. Dumbest comment I have seen from a player. He doesnt understand how it works. God gives people free will and because the world contains sin, bad things will happen. It does not mean that God wanted the bad things to happen. God wants to see if people put their faith in him to help them make better decisions with their free will. No one truly knows why bad things happen to people. But we do know that God can help people get back on track if they trust in him. So, stating that God makes bad things happen ignores a lot of other variables such as free will, sin, circumstance and the devil himself.

25. If this is true, then “god” is an a-hole. People are supposed to bow down and pray to someone who causes injury to them? When will these silly religious people realize that “god” is nothing more than Santa Claus for adults.

26. shayeezy says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:53 PM

0 1

Read the Bible… and you might understand the answer to that question. If you think that your mortal existence is the end goal then it is hard to understand. If you believe there is another goal then you might

27. skinsdiehard says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:55 PM

1 0

Great post…..

28. Every comment I read about “God” makes the believers sound less and less intelligent.

29. What an idiotic comment. Why should we have laws then … every murder must be God’s will. Ridiculous thinking.

30. In the world of Wilson and Quinn God calls the shots, wins and loses games decides the fate of everyone. So what is the point. I took 5 to get up and down from a green side bunker at the weekend and I thought I needed to practice more lol.

31. That is the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. So if someone gets raped then god wanted them to get raped? If a child dies from cancer god wanted them to die?

God has nothing to do with football or anything for that matter. Jordy landed/planted funny and he tore his ACL. It is as simple as that.

32. travishenryismydad says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:56 PM

I wish everyone could see the real problem here. I’m down a starting wide receiver in fantasy football.
    ——————————————————
    Fantasy Football Rule #58

“Don’t have your draft until the final week of the preseason”

33. I guess his god also is responsible for all these kids around the world having cancer to?

he sounds mean

34. another crazy who thinks he’s a christian. blaming God for everything DOES NOT make you a Christian.God doesn’t watch football.

35. Another person using religion as the vehicle to destruction. It’s fine to have your own beliefs UNTIL you let them start ruining your and others’ lives by not taking responsibility for your actions.

By this logic, no person who has ever sinned should be punished since it was “God’s will”.

There is also a saying that some much more intelligent Christian quoted – “God helps those who help themselves.”

Keep the preseason, only play players within their first 1 -3 years (or however many is universally necessary), or make it voluntary for veterans to play.

36. If Rogers didn’t like to inflate his balls so much, the ball wouldn’t have gone so high. That led Jordy into jumping higher than expected. The NFL Needs to check the PSI in Rodgers balls.

37. If there’s no God, there won’t be you, but to say God intended for people or players to get hurt is sometimes untrue. Only to people God had in plan. You should do more bible reading and learn more about God before you open ur mouth. It’s true if ur going to war, doing exorcism and u believe in him, pray God to be in your side he will help u, but other than that God doesn’t make decision, especially on games.

38. From the look of the play, he could have just as easily tore his ACL going down a flight of stairs. He wasn’t touched when he went down.

39. If there’s no God, there won’t be you, but to say God intended for people or players to get hurt is sometimes untrue. Only to people God had in plan. You should do more bible reading and learn more about God before you open ur mouth. It’s true if ur going to war, doing exorcism and u believe in him, pray God to be on your side he will help u, but other than that God doesn’t make decisions, especially on games.

40. You sure this isn’t Geraldine (Flip Wilson) talking, saying:

“The Devil Made Me Do It!”…..

Seriously, anyone named Glover should be seen and not heard.

And, using Glover’s logic, I guess it was God’s intent that Glover should be a moron?

41. I know what he is trying to say, because talk like that is nothing new in sports. He just communicated it terribly…

As for Jordy, he looked better than most while hopping off the field and moving around than others with bad knee injuries. I’m sure Glover will also say God was looking out for Jordy if his MRI turns out better than worse case scenario…

42. f1restarter says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:43 PM
    Which god is he referring to? There are literally thousands.

_______________________

Maybe he was referring to those darn football gods.

43. I saw this coming. I had a fantasy draft with God on Saturday. Lets just say he was NOT happy when Satan picked Jordy with the pick before him!

44. I’m gonna hazard a guess that this simpleton hands over some of his hard earned to Pat Robertson, or one of his many, many acolytes. “And on the 8th day, god created the Dallas Cowboys, and he left a hole in the roof of Texas Stadium, so he could watch them on Sundays.”

45. Belief in god is the ultimate expression of mans vanity. I mean, if mighty man can’t explain it, it MUST be of Devine design right?

46. PATRIOTSDYNASTYLIVES says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:27 PM
    Oh boy Ive heard it all now…….

—————

Not yet.

“God allowed the balls to be deflated.”

Now you have.

47. By God do you mean Roger Goodell, because he’s the only God I know looking over the players of the NFL? He’s a jealous God too, so watch out, he can hurt you real bad, all he needs is a little fresh “air” and he can feed the entire nation of NFL owners, troll hating fans, and anyone who watches ESPN.

48. Whats pathetic is how many of you grown adults believe in fiction. No proof whatsoever, other than what church and your parents brainwashed you to believe growing up. There is absolutely no proof to the existence of a god. The Bible was written by man. And interpreted from the old testament to what you grew up reading. When will people think for themselves rather than listening to what others want you to believe?

49. God takes Sunday’s off. I guess he had nothing to do and had some money on the game with St. Peter.

50. God should have trained Jordy better in the offseason to strengthen the muscles in his knee that would prevent such non-contact injuries.

51. Most of you are pathetic. Just because you dont believe in what he believes in doesnt make you right. If you think it does it makes you a bigot. I am not religious but this is America and the last time I checked he could believe in anything he wants.

52. Whats really sad is that most of you dont like this talk about god. But you are ok with 3% of the US poplulation telling us how to think. I am not talking about politics either.

53. “Every comment I read about “God” makes the believers sound less and less intelligent.

At some point we’ve got to stop listening to these people/taking these people seriously. They have an impact on our society and that scares me.”

AMEN Brother

54. Get this guy out of football. What Nelson needed was a “fall guy” for pending injuries. It makes as much sense. God is personal and should not be applied beyond self.

55. God had nothing to do with Nelsons injury,God from what I always read in the Bible when I was young was always the ultimate healer. what mr. Quin doesnt realize yet is that the Packers wont miss a beat at wide reciever because God and Ted Thompson saw to it that the Packers got stocked at exceptional players at the position and Nelson is just one. hopefully God has deemed Aaron Rodgers should stay nice and healthy this season and set a lot of NFL records

56. packfaninchitown says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:43 PM

There is no God.
    ______________________________

I disagree. But I respect your choice, please respect mine.

57. Mr. Quinn, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

58. It’s funny how most “god folks” will say ridiculous things like this. But as soon as somebody says it out loud they realize how foolish it sounds and completely disregard it even though deep down it’s true.

Either you believe in god and therefore all things are done because of him (good and bad) or youre 99.9% of the religious people in this world who follow a religion because your parents probably did and don’t have the hindsight to recognize what a hypocrite you are in everything you do and say.

And I say this because I’m not religious, therefore I don’t blame any one thing for all the problems in the world. But if i did that “any one thing” would be called religious people.

59. After years of trying to understand the Butt Fumble, now I get it – God wanted it to happen.

60. The latest Shady Brady defense … Brady didn’t deflate the footballs. It was God’s will. That’s about the only thing left to get him exonerated.

61. greggfletch1 says:Aug 24, 2015 4:00 PM

____

And nobody is trying to stop him from believing in anything he wants… but, contrary to popular belief, not all opinions are created equal, and they should not be treated as such. If you’re gonna say something (anything), others have equal opportunity to agree or disagree.

62. You are the one making a big deal out of this. The man is a football player, not a theologian. He’s entitled to his beliefs, even if you (or I) do not agree with them. All the NFL needs to do is what you should have done… ignore the man.

63. And you guys thought God didn’t have a special place in his heart for Russell Wilson.

64. I guess if you believe in an invisible man in the sky controlling everything going on down here you’re prone to saying something stupid every now and then.

65. I wish God would stick to burning bushes … and turning water into wine. Useful stuff. Messing with an NFL player’s ACL is not the best use of his talents.

66. I kind of think he is trying to say what my mom always said “that there is a silver lining to every cloud” Maybe Jordan will find something positive out of this….who knows?

With that said I don’t believe if you flying on an airplane that a terroist blows up, that God ever wanted that for you…..Not sure why some God Squad people twist it up to complete nonsense.

67. ‘God wanted it to happen’ is the typical explanation that small minds are satisfied with when they can’t explain why something transpired.

68. Let’s see how elite Aaron really is.

If he is ‘Leet’ he will take some no name and make him a star in Nelson’s place.

If he isn’t… well then enjoy the perennial Pro-bowl appearance. I think we already know the answer….

69. emoney826 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 3:44 PM

this is like the parable of Deflatgate. I keep hoping people will think for themselves as well, but I’m losing hope.

70. As far as I know, God is still suspended for the first four games of the season and is dealing with more important issues right now. I’m not sure why he would want to injure Jordy Nelson when he plays in the AFC, and the Packers are in the NFC. Unless he knows he would have been playing the Packers in the Super Bowl? #BradyOnlyKnows

71. God has always been hated by the world who continue to say there is no God. He says so in the Bible, for example Psalms 14:1. If you are a true believer, you should not be offended by these comments people are making to make fun of Him.

72. I’m religious and I’m also aware that God doesn’t have time for pettiness like sports or my lottery ticket. I’ll reason that I have free will and the ability to choose,otherwise why do I exist. I’m sure the guy upstairs didn’t condemn me to be a Browns fan, I choose that torture,and I’m pretty sure he didn’t say ok Jordy,you need to be injured because I’m God and surgery. Ridiculous.

73. Might as well say Jordy tripped on an invisible black cat…

Good grief. What year is it again?

74. adrianbeatason said:
    Aug 24, 2015 9:43 PM
    Football and religious stupidity – a match made in heaven.

—————————————————–

Don’t insult football like that…

75. lionsfan0and16wearegarbage says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:31 PM

—-

76. “Is that why our Bears with Marshall, Jeffery, and Bennett haven’t been able to beat the Lions in a few years?”

The Bears have been beating the Lions since the beginning of the NFL: 96-69 Bears.

It’s not a few years, the Lions have only been able to beat the Bears during the Trestman/Tucker/Emery era, which only lasted the past two years. Beating the Bears in the past two years in nothing impressive, it actually makes you look desperate and pathetic, but you’re a Lions fan, not a Bears fan so….

77. I think Glover has it all wrong–Bill Belichick didn’t have anything to do with Jordy Nelson’s torn ACL.