Report: Patriots sign Reggie Wayne

Getty Images

When the Colts host the Patriots in Week Six, they may be welcoming more than a team that routed them twice during the 2014 season.

They could also be welcoming back one of the greatest players in franchise history. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Patriots have signed wide receiver Reggie Wayne to a one-year contract.

Wayne, who had triceps and knee surgery this offseason, took a physical with the Patriots over the weekend. It would appear he proved healthy enough for the Patriots to see if there’s still enough left in the tank for Wayne to help their offense during the 2015 season. If not, the Colts will avoid seeing a franchise icon in another uniform although they’ll still have to figure out a way to beat New England.

Wayne’s arrival will also give the Patriots some more options at receiver while waiting for better health elsewhere in the group. Brandon LaFell and Julian Edelman have missed almost all of camp and Brian Tyms, Aaron Dobson and Brandon Gibson have also been dealing with recent injuries. The move will also leave the Packers to look elsewhere if they want to bring in outside help in the wake of Jordy Nelson’s knee injury as they were reportedly interested in talking to Wayne if things didn’t work out in New England.

139 responses to “Report: Patriots sign Reggie Wayne

1. Chris Harper looked great against New Orleans. If Wayne pans out the Pats will be fine at receiver with Edelman, Amendola (having a good camp), Lafell, and two or three good backups.
    Not to mention Gronk and Chandler. Can’t wait for September 10th!

2. Good move for the franchise and player. Even if Wayne is not what he used to be, he will bring a great work ethic and veteran presence to the young offensive corp.

3. B b b b b butttt I thought Reggie Wayne the high and mighty ex colt would never come play for the “cheaters”???

Didn’t all the clots fans say that this morning?

SB Champs > AFC Finalists

4. Never understood the love for Reggie Wayne especially after he threw the Superbowl for his hometown of New Orleans to win by letting that pick 6 happen. Not sure why nobody else can see that too

5. 35 receptions, 410 yards, 2 TD’s. Cut before and resigned the first regular season game. And, instantly, thousands of people have made their fantasy football teams weaker.

6. I think Reggie will prove to be a great signing for the Pats. Belichick always expressed fondness for Reggie and I think it’s mutual. Reggie wasn’t healthy last season and the Colts had other weapons to exploit and develop. That accounts for his non usage during the playoffs. Yes he’s been slowed by injury but why don’t you try catching passes with a torn triceps. Most players would be on IR.

Hate to see you help the Pats but best of luck to you Reggie.

7. I hope he keeps a diary.

I hope he writes down every little thing.

It must be an all-time-over-the-top freaky situation. To go from the Colts to the Patriots.

To work for Belichick after so many years of hating Belichick.

Talk about an adrenaline high.

Imagine what’s going on inside his head.

8. Even Wayne will pound that soft and weak Colts defense for at least 100 yards on the ground. 🙂

9. Could Belichick have signed him to keep him away from the GB? I am a Vikings fan but the team to beat this year looked like the Packers.

10. neilbarne says:Aug 24, 2015 1:30 PM

as a colts fan, I just threw up a little…

And now you know how I felt when Vanateri signed with you guys……..misery loves company

11. He matches the prototype receiver needed by the new Tom Brady.

A possession receiver that can get open for a dink and dunk, and catch a legally inflated football.

12. The Pats WR corps is pretty depleted. So it doesn’t hurt to sign some older talent. Hell, I would being Moss in as well. One year, incentive based contracts for everyone!

13. Great signing for the Patriots, who really needed reliability and depth to the wide receiver corps. I doubt Reggie will be able to wear #87 though!

14. .
    A really low risk signing……

If he produces, great. If there’s nothing left in the tank, all you’ve lost is the signing bonus.

15. This was recorded by Reggie Wayne while in the visiting locker room for New England…..

Tom Brady can throw 5 yard ducks, but trust me I can catch them.

16. .. And immediately traded to the Pack for a third round draft pick. Bill wants his picks back one way or another.

17. This is reminiscent of when the Patriots signed Ocho Cinco, right before he was put out to patsture… lol

18. Just for the lulz Wayne should tell the Colts that the rumors are true and he saw the hidden mics in the visitor’s locker room but he ain’t telling.

🙂

19. My soul is sad. More than sad. It has been ripped out and stomped on. The universe is wiping away a tear. The very turf at LOS, nay, the RCADome, is itself weeping in pain. This is a dark day indeed. I can’t even bring myself to wish him luck. Had he signed with anyone else (except maybe the Jets or Steelers), I could have been OK with it. But this, this shocking betrayal wounds me to the very depths of my being, causes me to question my 51-year support of my beloved Colts. Et tu, Reggie.

20. Guess the Packers will have to call Dolphins and make 2 first RND draft pick for Greg Jennings, just to help them get to the lady place in the nfl north.

21. Ditch the zero and get with the hero!

Welcome to down. Pick up your ball deflation needle and your locker room bugs at the counter.

22. swagger52 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 1:42 PM

Tom Brady can throw 5 yard ducks, but trust me I can catch them.

This was recorded by T-Fizzle while in the visitors locker room in NE.

Dang.. Our D was too stupid to know who to cover even though the ref was telling us who was eligible and who wasn’t.

23. Wayne’s arrival is a cross conference steal for the Colts intelligence alone.

Not that they needed much intelligence to pound the Dolts into submission repeatedly the last several games.

24. Also kind of confirms that the Packers are going to call him report was false. His agent would have had him wait a day to see what Green Bay had to say if there were any truth to that…

25. Reggie, you were our man, but now you become like the ones you hang out with, CHEATERS.. in the words of Chris Carter find you a fall guy

26. The Patriots’ receiver corps is seriously depleted. Edelman and Chandler have been missing practice for a while. BB likes Wayne. Hopefully he can help our team while the others recover. We don’t even know the nature of their injuries. The Patriots is the best place to rehab careers. They will make you look good.
    Aaron Rodgers will be just fine. He is an elite QB and can handle sudden negative changes just like Brady.
    As for the Colts? They might tamper next year to get Wayne back just like their buddy the Jets tampered with Revis.

How about Moss? He’ll play for Brady. Get Brady some geriatric buddies. They’ll romp like puppies in the field.

27. Reggie Wayne one of the all time great receivers of this game. I wish him well. Has he ever had a bad Quarterback throwing him the ball? His luck that the Colt’s sucked for Luck, after Manning and now he as made his own luck by picking the Patriots and Brady. No doubt “Hall of Famer” no matter what he does this year.

28. thermanmerman99 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 1:31 PM

======================================

What was he supposed to do, tackle Peyton Manning?

29. Wayne can reveal how the Colts regularly pumped in crowd noise, turned up the heat in the visitors locker room, and in general whined about everything for his 14 years.

30. 4ever19 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 1:48 PM

Now you know how the Patriots fans felt when Adam signed with Colts……get over it ……the players are thats for sure!!!

31. Belichick likes to bring in that really good older vet who balled elsewhere and was hungry for the chance to win a ring (Seau, Otis My Man Smith, Rodney Harrison, Testiverti, Flutie). Nice to have those guys on the team.

32. I can’t wait to see Wayne quoted that Tom Brady is the best QB he’s ever played with.

🙂

33. OK Reggie let’s show you around. Those things? Oh there just the phony mics we put around the place to make Tony and Peyton freak out. Really doesn’t take much to do that as you probably already know. We put one in Tonys’ bible once which distracted him the whole game.

34. Welcome to the NFL Reggie.

For the 1st time in his career…..he will have a QB throw balls to him in places where he does not get killed.

35. jimmybeaterson says:
    Aug 24, 2015 1:59 PM
    Old slow Reggie…. Enjoy that Patriots fans. Young CB’s are going to eat him alive.

—————-

Consider this. BB has always liked Reggie. He wants to give Reggie the pleasure of pounding the team who would not re-sign him into submission. Expect BB to design some running plays especially for Reggie to ram down the Colts’ throats. Reggie could easily gain over 100 yards rushing in week 6.

36. Unless he’s in a LOT better condition than last season, this is pretty meaningless. Maybe some experience in the locker room and practice, but Wayne was nothing but a possession receiver the last couple seasons, and last year he wasn’t even that. It got to the point that Luck didn’t even throw to him (after being his favorite target the first couple of years).

37. “to get the inside scoop on the”

Huh I thought the Pats bugged their locker room and never needed any “scoops” from former Colts.

Oh that’s right, the Colts never found any bugs and just showed themselves to be the whiny, paranoid crybabies they are.

38. He had 64 catches for a little over 700 yards last season.

That’s not bad considering he will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

Any team would take that.

Only CRYBABY NATION will try to put a negative spin on this.

39. firecracker87 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 1:39 PM
    to get the inside scoop on the colts

The inside scoop on the colts? It’s simple, you run right through them.

40. darkneptune73 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:07 PM
    Patriots keep on doing the plug-the-hole signings. I wonder how long it’ll take before plugging holes in the roster fails to work anymore?

Every team in the league does plug-the-hole signings in pre-season and throughout the season, and have been doing so for decades. Some times those signings work for the Pats and others, and some times they fail. All Pats fans can provide plenty of examples when signings did not work. Hopefully the Pats can help Reggie Wayne get another SB ring (and vice versa).

To paraphrase one of the Tom Brady emails that did not have to be released for public consumption, but was…

It’s always a big deal when it’s New England

Ridiculous but true.

41. Maybe Reggie can give Belichick the inside scoop on how the Colts conspired with John Harbaugh and Goodell and Mike Kensel and Troy Vincent to conduct a prejudiced, biased sting operation as a way of getting back at the team they can’t seem to beat.

42. gtrav says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:14 PM
    firecracker87 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 1:39 PM
    to get the inside scoop on the colts

The inside scoop on the colts? It’s simple, you run right through them.

———————

Yes, that’s pretty much it. And given their offseason it doesn’t appear that will change any time soon….

43. He may have lost a step from his glory days but I doubt he has forgotten his hallmark, running precise routes. A WR over 5’10” that can actually hit his spots? Not sure what his YAC will be but count on Brady finding him.

44. “35 receptions, 410 yards, 2 TD’s. Cut before and resigned the first regular season game”

Actually last year he had 64 catches for 779 yards and 2 TDs, but don’t let the actual numbers get in the way of your “analysis”

Lolz

45. A good signing for sure. He may be on his last legs and not even make it out of camp (IE: Torry Holt a couple years ago). I think he’ll be a decent option at WR if he can play, but he obviously will not be a primary option. Belichick will cut him the second he looks like he cant play anymore. I always liked Wayne so I hope he can have a little bit of a rebirth here this year.

46. Seems Bill is desperate. Signing old wayne. No other Reciever but Gronk who will be double teamed all year.

No Corner backs. Your #1 option a Corner is now out for the year. Good Luck NE fans, Patriots go 8-8 no playoffs!

47. darkneptune73 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:07 PM

=========================================

It’s been working out okay for going on 15 years now. I wouldn’t hold my breath if I was you.

48. “Welcoming back” is one way of putting it…

Wayne will get a hero’s welcome in Indaianapolis one day. But that day will not be in Oct 2015.

49. People keep talking about his drop in production.

Torn knee ligaments often take 2 years to heal before the player is truly 100%.

This is exactly 2 years.

Another genius Belichick move. Huge potential with limited, if any down side.

50. Umm, for everyone saying the guy is done, he had 64 catches for 774 yards last year with a torn triceps the final 2 months of the season. If he gives the Pats 70% of that production (and makes a few clutch catches in big moments with those hands), it’ll be a heck of a signing. We’ll see, but I know I’d take his veteran savviness and hands on a big 3rd down over Dobson or Tyms right now. Let’s go.

51. darkneptune73 says:Aug 24, 2015 2:07 PM

———-

It’s worked for 15 years and counting. I guess they’ll keep doing it.

52. # 1 WR JE 92 rec 972 yards
    # 2 WR. Lafell 74 rec 963 yard

Gronk 82 rec 1124 yards

Plus add Scott Chandler (another 6’4 275 lb TE)

I think there O will be okay

53. Hope he’s healthy enough to play. He was running in slow motion last year. Maybe he wasn’t fully recovered from his injury. He was like a ball and chain to the Colts. Sad to see a pro bowler end his career like that. Maybe it’s not the end. Good luck Reggie!

54. I can’t wait till Wayne talks about the sting operation and the Colts deflating footballs 🙂

55. Glad to see him get signed but wish it wasn’t with that franchise. He’s too classy to be a Patriot.

56. hehateme2 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 3:09 PM

The pats receivers are mostly Dolphin rejects….. shocking!

Let’s see…Amendola was on the Rams, LaFell on the Panthers. Edelman’s always been a Patriot, as have Dobson and Boyce. Wayne comes from the Colts.

Welker’s been in Denver for a couple years now. Is he the guy you’re thinking of?

What’s up with the “mostly”?

57. I’m a Patriots fan who respects the hell out of Mr Wayne (for all of the days he’s burned the Patriots).

That said, I expect literally zero out of him. I don’t expect him to even make the team. Our WR core is garbage passed the usual starters (and even some of them are questionable) and yet at this point I don’t see him making an impact as well as getting in sync with Mr Brady.

I hope I’m wrong, but this feels like Adrian Wilson more than Junior Seau.

58. The Colts have just found a way to stop the Pats rushing game.

Jonas Gray breaks through a gaping hole and appears set to rumble for 30 when one of his WRs suddenly trips in front of him, dropping him just short of a potential gam-winning TD as time expires.

Wayne immediately enters Indy’s ring of honor.

Well, a guy can hope….

59. It won’t do anything for either party. Reggie is old and the Patriots aren’t winning again.

60. darkneptune73 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 2:07 PM

____________________________

I’d say another 15 years sounds about right.

61. unionjack1776 says:
    Aug 24, 2015 5:03 PM

—————————————

you said that last year and the last 15 years….you were wrong then and are wrong now.

62. I’m a Patriots fan since dirt was identified as an element. My dad was a season ticket holder when they played at Fenway Park. 2007 was a wonderful season except for the last 3 minutes. This is another year when The Patriots never, ever ever take their foot off of the throttle.

63. willyshock says: Aug 24, 2015 5:20 PM
    —————————————
    This signing strikes fear into the hearts of no one!

It’s a 36 year old Reggie Wayne, not a prime Randy Moss.

64. Clearly I’m a Colts fan with little love for the Pats but I love Wayne and I wish him well. Whatever uniform he wears he will always be the best receiver in Colts history.

65. Hey – your team is also looking for a competitive advantage. It’s part of sports. Difference is the Pats are better coached, work harder and have a better QB. Due to this the Pats defy the parody the NFL wants and dominate year in and year out. Go to your team cheats dot cm and read all about your fav NFL team. You’ll find they cheat, problem is in most cases the advantage doesn’t result in championships.

Admit it. You hate us cuz you ain’t us.

Go Pats – Dominategate on 3 !

66. I I like how nfl players are backing Brady. Suggs Sherman and Thomas to name a few. Reporters apologizing for false leaks. King ect. Pats sign an all time great Colt. Nfl looking foolish in court yet you still have these tool bags talking smack. Hahha sounds like a bunch of hating to me! Instead of the pats being classless how about the fans of the other 31 teams who won’t shut your mouths and for once worry about your own team. Pats must not be that bad to SIGN REGGIE WAYNE!!!! hahahha