Report: Cowboys add Christine Michael in trade

Getty Images

The first notable move of Sunday was a fairly predictable one. Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Cowboys have added running back Christine Michael in a trade with the Seahawks.

The cost is a conditional draft pick. The move makes sense for both teams because the Cowboys need running back help and the Seahawks added veteran Fred Jackson late last week after he was cut by the Bills.

A late second-round pick in 2013, the 220-pound Michael was never more than a part-time contributor for the Seahawks. He played in 14 games over the last two seasons, carrying the ball 52 times at an average of 4.9 yards per carry.

Rumors throughout the last week had linked the Cowboys to other backs potentially available for trade such as Montee Ball of the Broncos and Terrance West of the Browns. The Cowboys kept three running backs Saturday when they cut their roster to 53: Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar.

71 responses to “Report: Cowboys add Christine Michael in trade

1. Taken one pick before Travis Kelce…yikes.

Wouldn’t have needed Graham, would still have Under, oline wouldn’t look so average and still have a first round pick as icing on the cake.

2. He’s due to breakout. Couldn’t seem to get the staff’s trust though, from missing blocks to carrying the ball in the wrong hand to fumbling. Has lots of potential though.

3. The upside to this kid is huge. I was hoping to see it with the seahawks. He’s better suited to become an all pro and a defenses worst nightmare with this team. Good luck C – Mike

4. Cowboys are still bringing in running backs. I thought their line would allow anybody to become the NFL rushing leader, but it’s becoming obvious that they’re running scared.

5. My first reaction as a Hawks fan was, “good.” Maybe we’ve been spoiled by Beast Mode, but it seems like Christine Michael was always ending up with little gain, if any, or even a loss. And he got plenty of chances in the pre-season games against #2 and #3 backups. Hey, best of luck to him, and back to the drawing board for the Hawks regarding the eventual replacement for Lynch.

6. I bet anyone here one million dollars that The Dallas Cowboys, America’s Team, will win the Super Bowl this season. No takers? Yeah, I didn’t think so 😉

7. Duh, runingbacks are easily replaceable. Maybe, but you better have a top five QB The Cowboys are going to learn a hard lesson this year.

Look at teams who make the playoffs. Most have 2 things. Great Defense and run game. When have the Cowboys ever been a Super Bowl contender without a great back?

8. I’m expecting this to be much like the Seahawks’ trade of Ahman Green to the Packers about 15 years ago, another RB with “fumbling issues” that went on to have several great seasons.
    C-Mike could go down as a bust or could still become a top ‘back in the league, especially behind the Cowboys’ great OL. Because of the potential for the latter, I wish they would’ve found an AFC trade partner.

9. If you follow the Seahawks, you know that Christine Michael showed potential in Seattle but reportedly not the focus or work ethic to be consistently good. If the Cowboys can get some productivity from him, good for them. They certainly have a better line. That said, I’m not optimistic.

10. Men DeMarco was dogged big time on his way out by the Cowboys and some fans, guess they are finding out that the three headed backfield may not be the answer. 1800 rushing or whatever is not kids play, yeah the offensive line, but you have to give him massive credit.

11. vicksdawgpound says:
    Sep 6, 2015 12:57 PM
    He could actually be good on the Cowboys.
    —-
    Said no one ever. The most mediocre franchise in sports.

NFC East Standings 2015
    Washington REDSKINS 12-4
    The New York Team 6-10
    The Dallas Team 5-11
    The Philadelphia Team 2-14

12. web276 says:
    Sep 6, 2015 1:11 PM
    @abninf. I bet anyone her $100 that you don’t HAVE a million dollars
    *******************
    I thought exactly the same thing.
    I’d take that bet easily, but abninf wouldn’t be able to pony up.

13. seahawksbmx says:
    Sep 6, 2015 1:11 PM
    **********************
    If Michael fails in Dallas, he won’t be able to make it anywhere else.

14. Wow. Now that’s three players that will rush for a thousand yards behind that O Line. How will they ever be stopped???

15. Another thing about Michael: I don’t think a zone blocking scheme was a good fit for him. He’s too fast to wait for the hole to open. Dallas just lines up and creates a new line if scrimmage 2-3 yds downfield. Michael goes down easy, so he’d have a lot of negative carries from contact behind the line or running into his own linemen before busting a 10-15 yard run. In Dallas, those losses will become 1-2 yd gains followed by explosive Peterson-like runs. I’m worried that this will come back to haunt Seattle if/when they face Dallas in the playoffs potentially.

16. I’m a Cardinals fan so obviously I have no love lost for the Cowboys but lol at a few of these comments.

Who are the Cowboys running scared from? The Kirk Cousins Redskins? The Mark Sanchez Eagles (b/c Bradford ain’t playing 16 games).

Demarco Murray is a product of that O-line. Not saying he’s not talented but no way he has the same year in Philly.

I think this is a good move by the Cowboys, adding some talented youth at RB. I wouldn’t say 4.9 ypc is something to sneeze at.

17. Michael has averaged 4.9 yards per carry in his short career.

Seahawks “fan” above claims he watched Michael usually run for little or no yards.

Stats > fan’s biased eyes.

A late-round guy for someone who’s averaging a 1st down every two carries and was talented enough to be a 2nd round pick, good history at Texas A&M…

He and Randle are the 2 guys that will combine for 1,500 there.

18. abninf says:
    Sep 6, 2015 1:06 PM

————————————
    Are you talking about the same Dallas Cowboys that lost to Colt McCoy and the Washington Redskins? Hum… Too bad you don’t have a million dollars, eh?

19. Cowboy fans, before you get super excited about his amazing running style, he only holds the ball in his right hand and is a fumble liability. He also can’t pass block hardly at all.

20. The last time the Seahawks traded a talented but fumble prone RB, he (Ahman Green) went on to become the leading RB in the storied tradition of the Green Bay Packers.

21. He has so much potential and with the right opportunity can breakout. Hawks were hopeful he would be the replacement for Beast Mode but it didn’t work here. Man he might just have a breakout season with that line. Wow

22. Michael is about as physically gifted as any RB in the league. If he can keep his head on straight in Dallas, he’ll have a chance to contribute big-time.

For a 7th round pick, there is almost no downside to this… but the upside is huge.

Good trade for Dallas.

23. Wow here are the HATERS again…don’t worry about the Boys we will prevail just like we did in 2014….hey logicalvoicepft….The Boys 5-11 really and who’s your team, try 11-5 or more Go Cowboys

24. I think Christine Michael is ready to break out, I’ve watched him the past few years in preseason and when he gets a chance in games and he’s got what it takes. The Hawks wouldn’t have kept him this long unless they knew he had enough of what it takes. So, I believe he’ll be a really good pick up for Dallas (and I hate to give them any kind of advantage ever!).

For me the bigger story, here in Seattle, is why are Carroll and Schneider bringing in a back up RB right now, someone of Fred Jackson’s age and quality sends a real message, but what is the message? We haven’t seen Marshawn at all this preseason (well 2 runs in game 3). So what gives? Presumably Jackson would be on the field for passing plays and used as a blocker? I dunno, there’s some mystery here.

25. Raideralex- Seahawks “fan” isn’t necessarily wrong. Michael could usually run for little/no yards then break out a handful of huge runs and have that average… Averages you know.

26. squ4k

the only mystery is how you’re a hawk fan who thinks Lynch not playing in the preseason is somehow newsworthy.

27. Thi s is a great trade. Seattle is great at finding rb. The issue with this guy is Marshawn lynch. Michael will never play if lynch is healthy. Yeah he may fumble but guess what Murray fumbled to and also had over 1800 yards. I think we have our starting rb in Dallas for the next 3 years at least

28. raideralex, typical Raider fan, can barely read. My question is “why bring in Jackson and trade Michael?” It’s impossible to know how fit Marshawn is because we have only seen 2 snaps, so what does Carroll and Schneider know that we don’t?

29. That move was so “predictable” (as the article indicates) — that this site never once even mentioned that predictable trade as a mere possibility.

30. dallassux says:
    Sep 6, 2015 1:22 PM

I see it take 3 running backs to replace Murray.
    ——————————————————–

And Bills fans are saying it takes three RB’s to replace McCoy.

31. oreo51 says:
    Sep 6, 2015 12:54 PM
    Michael, could do well behind the that line in Dallas. Good luck, to the young man. He was stuck behind Marshawn in Seattle.

——————————————————————

No, he was “stuck” behind his own ineptness.

He almost never sniffed the field, even when Lynch needed a breather. SEA had no confidence in him. Didn’t know the playbook, couldn’t pas pro, wasn’t a team player. SEA wanted him to take over for Lynch, which is why he was a 2nd round pick.

They knew he couldn’t do it, which is why Lynch got a new deal this year to return for one more year. Trust me, they would’ve much preferred CM with a rookie contract to take over than to give Marshawn another $9M. They are tight on the salary cap.

Good luck in Dallas. I’m not holding my breathe.

32. Add to the trio of bums at rb for my Cowboys. In response to logical voice up there saying the redskins will be 12-4, that’s maybe the most idiotic comment I’ve seen on pft. True Colt McCoy won the mnf game in Dallas. The second game you got massacred on our way to the NFC East title. Your coach sounds like an absolute moron and your owner will dish out 16 mil guaranteed to RG Knee because he can’t accept the fact that he drafted an absolute joker.

33. Has anyone read his stats? Guy is a bust. 267 yards in 2 seasons. Fumbles and can pass block. Drops passes. Beat out by undrafted rawls.
    And to that cowboy fan, ill bet my imaginary million against your imaginary million

34. logicalvoicepft says:
    Sep 6, 2015 1:18 PM
    vicksdawgpound says:
    Sep 6, 2015 12:57 PM
    He could actually be good on the Cowboys.
    —-
    Said no one ever. The most mediocre franchise in sports.

NFC East Standings 2015
    Washington REDSKINS 12-4
    The New York Team 6-10
    The Dallas Team 5-11
    The Philadelphia Team 2-14

………………..

Cowboys were 12-4 last year, and NFC East Champs

Redskins were in the cellar.

Get a clue. The Skins will be a disaster again this year, and for the next few

35. A whole corral of backup running backs. Let’s move ’em out
    One, two, three, four

Rolin’ rollin’ rollin’

36. Someone brought up fantasy with this guy? I wouldn’t pick any of their RB. Running back by committee is no way to go, yeah the line yadda yada. They show no commitment to one player.

37. 4.9 ypc. I like how people are bringing up fumbles when Dallas had a RB last year that had a similar problem. If he gets his pass protection skills shored up, he’ll start soon. I hope he gets on the field Sunday.

38. Irregardless of his football skills, I give him mad props for sticking with that name all these years. I would have knocked it back to “Chris” a long time ago. Shame on his parents but I’m sure it’s given him plenty of motivation through the years.

39. @sq4ck

The reason they traded Michael & brought in an “aging” backup rb is because Fred Jackson can do everything Michael can’t. For example, pickup a blitzing defender, memorize the playbook, & in general just knows how to play the position. Christine Michael on the other hand has speed; that’s it, that’s his ceiling. They say you can’t teach speed, well, apparently you can’t teach Michael either cuz he sucks.

40. The reason he was stuck behind beastmode was because he cant block, catch the ball, and has fumbling issues. He was a bust for the seahawks. That being said I hope he figures it out. I just wish it was for a different team.

Go hawks

41. These comments are very reminiscent of a similar trade we made two years ago when we traded for Rolando McClain. All of the keyboard critics said how little production if any we would get and how a horrible trade it was for us. 2 years later you see the results..

I’m not saying Christine will be chasing ED’S record or anything but for the talent he has a 7th rounder is a no brainer.

If Jason could get anything out of Rolando… I’ll take my chances with this guy.

42. I think that’s pretty harsh criticism for a guy sitting behind Beastmode and Turbin. He’s numbers are decent, 4.9 ypp, sure he isn’t perfect, but he’s decent young talent coming up and Jackson is a bit past his due date – but in Pete and John we trust, onwards!

43. Dallas fully intends to use up RB’s this year spreading out that production among 4 different backs.

We all know 1, possibly 2 are going down with injuries for some games, maybe the rest of the season.

None of these guys are long term answers, which is why they’re going to be used up brutally in this year’s campaign.

44. cowboys are gonna really miss murray. and romo, who has held together with glue and scotch tape last year, won’t last this yr. I predict he, and thus the cowboys, are toast by t-giving. eagles run away with nfc east this year.

45. Yeah he’ll do great in Dallas behind their “better” OL. Even though, you know, the Seahawks have led the NFL in rushing for like 3 years running.

46. abninf says:

——————————————————————

I’ll take that bet. And if I lay off $100k at 18/1 with Vegas that they do, I literally cannot lose.

I either win $700k, or more likely, your $900k.

Not that you have it.

47. I understand Cowboys fans happy about getting Michaels, but do they truly know that Michaels was a complete bust here in Seattle? That suggested 4.9 yards per carry was mostly garbage time when games were decided. Michaels displayed virtually zero second effort, and soon as the first tackler approached him, usually after a 1 yard gain, Michaels went down. In 3 years I never observed Michaels exert any second effort. Just the same, good luck in Dallas…and frankly, I’m shocked Seattle got a future draft pick for Michaels…Shocked!