Seahawks face a tall order: Stopping Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau

Getty Images

When the Seahawks head into Lambeau Field on Sunday night, they’re going to try to do something no one has done in Green Bay in the last two years: Intercept Aaron Rodgers.

Saying Rodgers is pretty good at home is like saying Donald Trump is pretty rich and pretty controversial. In the last two seasons at Lambeau Field, Rodgers has completed 241 of 350 passes for 3,375 yards, with 33 touchdowns and no interceptions. Throw in the Packers’ two home playoff games in the last two seasons, and Rodgers’s numbers improve to 282-for-411, 3,868 yards, 37 TDs, 0 INT.

Really: 37 touchdowns and no interceptions. That works out to a passer rating of 128.5.

The last time Rodgers threw an interception at Lambeau Field was in a December 2, 2012 win over the Vikings. That interception was on an odd trick play, the kind of play the Packers really don’t need to run when they have Rodgers as their quarterback. The Packers are just fine lining up with Rodgers and letting him run the offense. The Seahawks will have a tough time stopping it.

81 responses to “Seahawks face a tall order: Stopping Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau

1. Vikings fans could only have a QB like this in their wildest dreams, yet they’ll be on here saying how crappy he is.

2. As a person who has watched every Packers game since opening day 1989 how anyone can say Brett Favre was a better overall QB than Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous. Favre got to play several years with a top 3 defense that included Reggie White, LeRoy Butler and many outstanding players. Yet the only SB win he had was in 1996 when the Packers finished 1st in offense, defense and special teams. Rodgers went 15-1 with a 32nd ranked defense that allowed the most yards in NFL history.

For all the blame Aaron got for the championship game and his playoff defeats he has never come close to all the horrible games Favre had in the postseason. 6 ints in St. Louis, OT interception against the Eagles. Two game changing interceptions in NFC Championship games (1 which I attended and froze through).

3. Wow, December 2nd is the day I proposed to my now wife at lambeau. As packer fans we are truly, extremely fortunate. I dread the day we don’t have qbs like favre and Rodgers.

4. Grim reality has set in for Seahawk fan boys and housewives. A hobbled Earl Thomas, a missing B Maxwell and Chancellor have rendered that defense neutered. I mean Nick Foles shredded you guys…Nick Foles!!! Let that sink in for a moment.

Crisis counselers standing by in rainy town USA

5. Its going to be a helluva game, that’s for sure. The offense should have no problem putting up points, it is all going to come down to the D. Hopefully week 2 will bring a better performance from them.

6. I respect what the GBP have done. Most fans do. There are always a few loudmouth fans from each team that spew drivel and make a bad name for the rest.

7. This version of the Pack have no ability to beat the Seahawks in any circumstance. It’s in the head of every Packer and they know that no matter what happens for the first 59:59 the net result of the score at 60:00 is they lose! Forget the fans that think they own this franchise, the real owners are those big bad boys from the NW!

8. All the bravado notwithstanding, me? I am going to hold my breath until after the final whistle on Sunday night. Just saying. And Jhein23, you nailed it, but I have been watching since about 1959 or so, can’t remember exactly anymore. Also lived in Dallas with a Packer bumper sticker on my car, and got pulled over a lot for phantom stop signs that I allegedly ran. Yes sir, no sir, and they let me go. Go Pack, Beat the Hags!!!

9. Really tough for the Hawks and I would be (pleasantly) surprised if they win.

Hawks have to run, run, run and keep Erin on the bench.

Take a page out of how the Niners beat them in the past.

Having said that, I have no doubt Bevelle won’t stick with the run regardless of how successful. Just because you’re a highly paid NFL coach doesn’t mean you’re bright.

10. Jhein23,
    The answer is relevance. Before Favre arrived, Green Bay was AWFUL in the 80’s. There were only 2 teams besides them that could arguably be considered worse…Tampa Bay, and New Orleans. Then through leadership and will power, Favre turned that program around and made them relevant. I am not saying Rogers is not as talented as Favre in any facet of the game. I am saying Rogers climbed Mt St Helens to Favre’s Everest. And you can’t argue that learning from Favre for a few years didn’t help Rogers become the QB he is today.

11. Most of the NFL world will be watching this game between 2 exceptional teams, and extraordinary franchises. And it’s happening at the epicenter of the football universe – the legendary Lambeau Field.

Sunday will be glorious.

12. if foles dropped 34 points on seattle then i see rodgers dropping 40 points. seattle’s poor offence will put up around 16 points.

13. fartweasel says:
    Sep 19, 2015 10:33 AM
    They have to beat Rodgers and the hometown zebras.

———

As a Hawks fan, the most significant impact I remember the refs having on a Sea/GB game was the, “Fail Mary” from a couple of years ago. Not a good feeling.

I just hope it’s close late in the 4th (of course a commanding win would be great) and the Hawks can pull off some truly inspired victory!

Go Hawks!

14. I am no Green Bay fan, but if you can’t admire that statistical run, you’re a fool. Or a Seahawk fan. I guess there isn’t much of a difference. I can barely wait for the current run of that franchise to pass and watch the fair weather fans once again disappear. Don’t think it will happen? I am sure that’s what the Mariners thought back in the Griffey and Randy Johnson days, but that stadium has been silent since those guys left.

15. Seahawkboymike, and the Seahawks were going to sign everyone, extend everyone and land Suh and trade for Adrian Peterson, remember? Oh, and they would still have cap space left. You weren’t right then, what makes you so confident your predictions for this game are going to come out as they do in the fantasy world you live in?

Do you not feel even a little embarrassed about you complete lack of knowledge?

16. @jhein23 “As a person who has watched every Packers game since opening day 1989”

As somebody who has watched every Packer game a lot longer than that, you are very biased. As somebody who loves Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre, to say Favre’s football teams were much better than Rodgers is absolutely ridiculous.

True, when Favre won his SB he did have the number 1 ranked Defense, but Rodgers had the #2 ranked D when he won his. The year the Packers lost the SB, that defense was ranked 5th and gave up 175 rushing yards to the Broncos which kept the ball out of Favre’s hand for most of the game, despite this Favre still threw for 3 TDs. To blame Favre for that loss and not the defense you think was great or the horrible coaching by Holmgrem and lack of halftime adjustments is nonsense.

Rodgers also had the benefit of having a lot of advantages over Favre. Favre has had to go through several head coaches while in GB and his WRs were never as good as the group Rodgers had to work with most of his career so far. Also, Rodgers has had the benefit to work in an offense and a league which is much more pass prolific than any offense Favre was ever in.

Nice try cherry picking a few stats out of context jhein23, but a lot of people on this site are not as dumb as you think.

17. I agree, but as a huge Packer fan I think stopping Lynch and company will be a tall order for our defense. It will come down to mistakes and turnovers.

18. This may sound crazy to some but this match up for Seattle is far better than the Rams.

Look at the way the Rams have played Seattle with that defensive line. Green Bay basically got run over last week and I don’t see anyone on that defensive line that is going to contain Wilson/Lynch. If they load the box I see Graham and Lockette having solid games.

People point to Kam being out, well Packers offensive line isn’t that deep and they are missing their RT versus Avril/Bennett. Go Hawks!

19. Yes Seahawk fans, your team has won the last 3 contests all at the Clink but lets not forget that 2 of those wins were improbable at best. The “fail mary” game and the epic collapse. Your luck has to run out some time.

Rodgers and the Packers are a lot better at home as the article states but McCarthys teams are notoriously slow starters early in the season so there is that for ya.

Having said all that, until they actually do beat this team I am skeptical that they can given their recent history. Is that humble enough for ya, gasblaster?

20. Hmm. Weren’t the Packers/Rodgers the “Belle of the Ball” in last season’s NFC Championship Game and were about to close in on a Super Bowl berth when in the last 3:00 of the game, the Seahawks/Wilson pulled out the win? The Packers’ Rodgers, like Big Bro Manning, is just so overrated — I mean, if Rodgers and Big Bro Manning are really that good, then why don’t either of them have multiple SB wins already? Everyone needs to stop overbloating Rodgers and Big Bro Manning and genuinely start underinflating them lol

21. The seafrauds will be playing from behind the whole game and will come up short in the end. GB will win by a couple points. This is what I think will happen.

What do I want to happen? The Pack to CRUSH the frauds and send them home with an 0-2 and egg all over their smug mugs.

22. Correct me if I’m wrong…but wasn’t it the Packers only a couple years ago that couldn’t even sellout a HOME playoff game?!? Corporate sponsors having to give in and eat up those tix preventing a BLACKOUT!! Now that right there is true fan dedication! BUT please…continue to call out Hawks fans for being ‘fairweather’.

23. Rdubluv12…the NFL and the packers have changed their playoff ticket buying because of that game. Season ticket holders were required to buy tickets a few weeks before the start of playoffs began and it seemed inevitable that Green Bay would be out. Then Rodgers and cobb worked magic and got them in on the final week. Many ticket holders didn’t buy when they had to which lead to a surplus of tickets. I was at that playoff game.

24. Or not. Unlike the Bears, the Seahawks actually have some pretty good players on their D. I wouldn’t read too much into that tune up game last Sunday.

25. rdubluv12 says:
    Sep 19, 2015 12:26 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are wrong. Very wrong. The only reason there were tickets to be had was the screwy system the team used… they sent out non refundable invoices for playoff tickets to the season ticket holders at a time when it looked like the Pack wouldn’t make it to the playoffs due to Rodgers’ broken collarbone. Many of those season ticket holders passed because they were non refundable. I can’t blame them for that.

26. rdubluv12 says: Sep 19, 2015 12:26 PM

…………………………………………………………………..

you are wrong.. the WAITING LIST for seasons tickets would nearly fill another Lambeau which holds the 3rd most fans in the league. jerryworld and Washington are the ones that hold more… plus the population ao green bay is 100,000. uneducated think that it is a suburb of Milwaukee, but it is 118 miles north. lambeau capacity 80735 and the link is 67000

27. “-harrisonhits2 says:
    Sep 19, 2015 10:15 AM

Vikings fans could only have a QB like this in their wildest dreams, yet they’ll be on here saying how crappy he is.-”
    – – — —– — — —–

lol, first, you’re like what..? the third or fourth comment in and already you find some way to bring the Vikes in AND attempt to trash them in an article that has absolutely ZERO% relevance or suggestion to the Vikings. As a Homer you can’t even focus on the main point of the story and the amazing significance of how good your QB really is!

now second, that is just not even true! (yes, I AM A BLEEDING PURPLE VIKING FAN) and on a daily basis I read viking fans commenting on everything from our “off season championships” to arguments with Cheeseheads about which team is most relevant in the “NFC North Champion category” to Obnoxious Trash Talk All around about every little detail of both teams.

However, the ONE THING I have never seen a “Vike Fan” “PackerHater Vike Fan” “Delusional Vike Fan” or even the couple completely obnoxious and moronic (yes even to me) Vike Fan Trolls, I’ve never seen one come on here claiming Aaron Rodgers isn’t a good QB!

No matter how “Delusional” we may get at times, Twice a year, EVERY YEAR we are consistently reminded of How Good Aaron Rodgers really is!!! We may make a lot of crazy (and to some, even, ridiculous) claims and predictions every season and pre-season. Yes, we try to get in your bags about your Pack in every and any way possible, but truth of the matter is, All of us are actually Human, and any and every real, true Human Being knows that Aaron Rodgers is Too Dang Good!! anyone who tries to claim that Aaron Rodgers is in any way shape or form Over rated, or even try to deny that (yes, I am going to say this, and yes it’s going to cause significant internal and emotional pain but….) Aaron Rodgers isn’t the GOAT! simply is not a Human Being and I couldn’t tell you what planet they come from.

As A Viking FAN, I can tell you straight up right now no hesitations that no matter what I end up saying, insinuating, no matter what names i think of to call The Pack and their Cheeseheads every week. There is NOTHING that can ever make me forget that we play the GB Packers twice a year, and that is because you have a GOAT QB from a different planet!!

and no matter who we ultimately ever have under center as a QB it doesn’t matter how good he is, will be, could be..etc. it doesn’t matter how much I support him. because truthfully, He will never be Aaron Rodgers, and truthfully that………….REALLY SUCKS!! lol.

and I guarantee you would be hard pressed to find any actual comments from any actual Vike Fan saying “how crappy Rodgers is”!! as i’ve said, we may be Delusional but we aren’t Dumb!

28. rdubluv12 says:
    Sep 19, 2015 12:26 PM

==============================

First, the reason that happened was that the Packers made their season ticket holders that year buy there tickets to the TWO playoff games in the middle of the season AND if the Packers didn’t make the playoffs, the money would NOT be refunded, but would be put towards next year’s season tickets.

Fans in Wisconsin aren’t the richest folks in the world so that’s a lot of money to front. They realized their mistake way too late.

Factor in that the game forecast was -20, and there you have it.

I went to it, and cheered my butt off. I’m on the season ticket waiting list mind you – number 80,000 or so. My grandkids may get seats someday when they are 50. According to Wikipedia, its up to 115,000.

It’s been that way since I was born.

29. squackduckhawk says:
    Sep 19, 2015 11:17 AM
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

From the day Rodgers arrived, Favre resented him. Rodgers has become the quarterback that he his through hard work and good coaching and most of all…….great receivers, which is also the result of good coaching.

Rodgers may have benefited from observing and not being thrown to the wolves for his first three years, but Favre had nothing to do with it. When asked if he could please assist mentoring Rodgers, Favre said no, that was the coach’s job.

Favre isn’t all you think he is. He may be softening in his old age, but it was all about him while he was playing. You can find nice things to say about Benedict Arnold too.

30. they sent out non refundable invoices for playoff tickets
    ———————–
    First the Packers organization takes advantage of its fans by dupping them into buying fake stock then it sticks it yo them again by selling them non refundable playoff tickets before they qualified for the playoff

31. Judge Smails says:
    Sep 19, 2015 12:52 PM
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

You’re repeating a very selective deduction made by haters. Dive into it and learn the truth. I was there. A very poor purchasing requirement for season ticket holders caused everyone to wait to purchase tickets until very near game day. This policy has since been changed. There was also low odds of making the playoffs that year and a fierce winter storm hitting at the same time. Then they made the playoffs and the scramble for tickets was on, storm or no storm.

I was there. It was filled. No vacant seats. A few corporate sponsors took advantage of the available tickets, bought them up, and distributed them to charity groups for free. They wouldn’t have had to do it though. The walk-ups left hanging were in the thousands.

It was epic, not the tragedy you’re describing.

32. Every single other team in the league has already scored more points than the Vikings. That’s why Vikings fans spend most of their time haunting Packers and Patriots articles.

33. The “Fail Mary”, the “Great Collapse”?? No, those were, a “Great Reception”, and a “Kick Azz Comeback”. I’ve seen a few packer fans on here, saying it was just “LUCK”, and that the Seahawks “LUCK” was about to run out in Lambeau field. As a Seahawks Fan, I couldn’t agree more. That’s right, I said it, the Seahawks “LUCK” will end Sunday night, and the Football world will see the Seattle Seahawks convincingly BEAT the Green Bay Packers, leaving No Doubt about which is the better Team. As much as the Packer fans say the Seahawks “LUCK” has to end, I say that the Packers LUCKY streak at Home, will be Ended by the Seahawks 34-17. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

34. Rogers has to be great to make up for that terrible defence.

Might as well not have a defence on the field.

Just go out and say, Rogers, if you beat 70 points you win.

35. stellarperformance says:
    Sep 19, 2015 1:00 PM

————————————————————-
    There is no disputing the fact that Favre didn’t want to mentor Rodgers, but you can’t say that Favre didn’t have anything to do with Rodgers development. Having 3 years to observe one of the NFL’s great QBs lead a team definitely contributed to Rodgers’ success.

And as for the “Benedict Arnold” reference, consider how you would feel if your company hired a guy, and made no bones about it being known that when he was ready, you’d be fired – and if you can honestly say you would groom him and move on with no shred of resentment, then you are a better person than most.

36. “First the Packers organization takes advantage of its fans by dupping them into buying fake stock”

Everyone in Wisconsin understands exactly what the souvenir stock is and is not. It’s only in Minnesota that it cannot be grasped, even after several attempts at teaching you.

Enjoy your new “McStadium.”

37. I am sure that’s what the Mariners thought back in the Griffey and Randy Johnson days, but that stadium has been silent since those guys left.
    ———————-

Yeah hi how are you doing. Actually Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr played in the kingdome which no longer exists. Ichiro and the Mariners won the most games in regular season history in 2001 long after those guys left. The Mariners play at Safeco Field now in case you were wondering.

But don’t worry, facts and truth aren’t really a big thing around here

38. I don’t know who called me out about the Rodgers Favre debate but I apologize I angered you so much. I personally like them exactly the same. I wasn’t cherry picking anything – he played amazing football – 95 percent of his games were magnificent but when he had a bad game it was obvious to all it was a clunker or a devastating pick. Aaron Rodgers has a bad game and its an average game for most QB’s yet he gets more heat than Favre used to. I just don’t understand that part of it. Maybe it’s Aaron’s personality that rubs people the wrong way.

And this is coming from someone who was at Favre’s last game where he threw perhaps his most devastating interception towards Donald Driver in overtime. Pictures later showed the only very well covered receiver on the play, everyone else was open.

39. And to the best of my recollection, which is usually pretty good, corporate sponsors didn’t need to buy the tickets. As soon as it was known that there were tickets to be had, the fans scooped them up.
    ——————————–
    Packer fan always thinking that they as fans are the best of the best of the best of the best and anyone who does not think so too is disrespectful. They really do think a lot of themselves and that they are infallible.

The franchise had to get help, though. In addition to fan sales, a group of Packers corporate partners, led by Associated Bank, purchased the remaining available tickets Friday to ensure the sellout and TV broadcast. Other corporate partners were Fox TV affiliates WITI (Channel 6 in Milwaukee), WLUK (Green Bay) and WFXS (Wausau); Mills Fleet Farm; and Bellin Health.

40. Playing at home and on two good legs (which he may need given the RT situation) he ought to do very well against the Hawks.

41. A few corporate sponsors took advantage of the available tickets, bought them up, and distributed them to charity groups for free.
    ——————————————————
    Charity? More disillusion.

Cliff Bowers, an Associated Bank spokesman, declined to say how many tickets the bank purchased but said all the tickets will be distributed to bank employees and customers.

42. It was so nice around “PFT world” for a few days. The Vikings got hammered and the trolls hid out. A few of the sane Viking fans from times past even made an appearance to talk football sensibly.

Sadly, 0-1 wasn’t enough to KEEP the trolls in hiding. I guess all we can do is hope that Detroit further exposes the Vikings, drops them to 0-2, and sends the trolls into even deeper hiding.

43. We know that we are faced against the best QB in the league in GB and GB knows what they are faced against our tenacious defense and Beast Mode. It should be a great slugfest to watch and may the best team win.

44. .
    In the Super Bowl the Patriots threw everything short and quick. Patriots RB Shane Vereen had 11 catches, 7 for first downs. I’m certain the Packers took note of how New England had success against Seattle’s tough defense.

45. 6ball, until avril went out that was all the Patriots could do against the pass rush.
    Brady passer rating was 25 until Avril went out with a concussion. Brady also had better players to go to.

46. New year, new game, new teams…both top tier.

Seattle clobbered Green Bay last year to start the season in Seattle we will see how things go tomorrow in Green Bay. Last year the Seahawks beat Green Bay twice and were better… this year could be different who knows… only a blowhard would tell you for sure he knows who’s going to win. The season is young. Whoever loses tomorrow’s game could easily still win the conference

47. @coldgoldenscarlett

So the Seahawks having been to two straight Superbowls, dismantling the best offense in history in one of those Superbowls, are frauds? LOL ok buddy. No bias there!

48. what will they do if it’s 4th & 1 with the game on the line? we know they can’t throw it and now we know they can’t run it either…maybe they’ll punt it???

49. This Seattle Seahawks vs Green Bay Packers Monday Night game reminds me of the 48th Super bowl where Paton Manning’s high powered Bronco offense suppose to easily thrash the Seattle Seahawks. That’s what all the Pundits said. We all know, what happened was quite the reverse, unless you were born yesterday. I have a strong feeling that’s going to be the case on Sunday night, besides Seahawks thrive on being the underdog…

50. 12coltsfan12 says:
    Sep 19, 2015 5:58 PM

======

Pats first fumble of the season came in at play 45, their long term average BEFORE they started deflating balls when it went to once every 75 plays.

I’m sure Belicheat is working hard on another cheating scheme.

51. noteamforlosangeles says:
    Sep 19, 2015 2:19 PM
    We want the ball and we’re going to score!
    ********
    Yes we did! Maybe a few years later but last year we completed the comeback in overtime when…”we got the ball and scored”!!! GO HAWKS!!

52. When I think of Seattle and Lambeau Field, the vision of Al Harris taking an INT for the playoff game winning score put a HUGE smile on my face.

Looking forward to seeing the Sea Chickens come to Lambeau for some payback.

53. Superpatsfan3 – earth is a nice place you should try living their sometime.. You must be in outer space mentally… The national narrative after the SB was how stupid and or unlucky they were for GIVING THE GAME AWAY to the Pats.. Brady not only was TERRIBLE until injuries got out of hand but Seattle went into the game extremely banged up in the secondary.

Did you forget…

Sherman torn ligament in elbow needed Tommy John surgery

Kam – torn mcl the day before game played with brace half speed..

Earl Thomas – torn rotator cuff /labrum..

Jeremy lane – gets an interception early in game then breaks arm and tears his ACL..

Not to mention cliff avril leaves with a concussion and they were missing both starting Dts going into the game..

Your logic is embarrassing homie.. Their is 3 all pros and 1 pro bowler out of 6 mentioned that were missing and or severely injured.. How TF is that torching a healthy seahawks team. I get it you want to live in LA LA land and everything the Pats do rules the world. In reality the Pats are deserving world champs but they achieved that bc Seattle GAVE THEM THE GAME AND had a series of unfortunate events and injuries that otherwise would have guaranteed a Seattle victory.

GB vs Seattle was the Sb. Seattle lost bc they were injured which Sucks to admit the Sb was decided by injuries and dumb play calling but it is what it is, the Pats were completing two yard passes and looking terrible until injures made the playing field unfair. 4 players in the secondary who needed surgery who are playing injured is DIVINE intervention oh and that just so happened to be one of the top 2-3 secondary units of ALL TIME and they all got hurt at the same time..

GB vs Sea was definitely the Sb either team should have beaten the Pats but divine intervention took over.