Peterson, Bridgewater help Vikings hammer the Lions

Adrian Peterson is back, Teddy Bridgewater is good and the Vikings are a better team than they showed in Week One.

Those are the conclusions after the Vikings put a beating on the Lions today in Minnesota.

Another possible conclusion: Maybe the Lions just stink.

Bridgewater completed 14 of 18 passes for 153 yards, with a touchdown and no interceptions, and looked poised and in control — quite a bit different than he looked in the Vikings’ Week One loss to the 49ers. Peterson added 134 rushing yards and 58 receiving yards, making a big statement that he’s back. The one concern the Vikings may have about Peterson is his fumbling: Peterson lost the ball three times, though he recovered one of his own fumbles and got bailed out by a Lions penalty on another, so it could have been worse.

The Lions’ offensive line didn’t give Stafford a lot of time to pass, and couldn’t open any holes for the running backs. Both Ameer Abdullah and Joique Bell were repeatedly hit behind the line of scrimmage, including on a desperation two-point conversion attempt after the Lions scored to cut the deficit to 26-16 with less than two minutes left: On that play, Bell had absolutely nowhere to go, and the Vikings won by that 26-16 margin.

That’s a good description of the Lions’ offense for much of this game. Detroit fell to 0-2, and the Lions — a surprise playoff team last year — look like a mess.

But the 1-1 Vikings look like they may be able to get something going. This was a big win.

93 responses to “Peterson, Bridgewater help Vikings hammer the Lions

1. The Vikes responded in a big way. Great team win. Teddy looked sharp, O line was good, D was dominant. AP’s fumbles are concerning, though. Time to focus on San Diego.

2. While the Vikings won, there are still many problems that need to be solved and solved quickly!

They looked much better than they did on MNF but still have work to do, especially on defense. Offense was a million times better, but still have problems to get over.

A win is a win is a win, but the Vikings cannot play like that and expect to win many more games.

8-8 would be lucky if things do not improve!

3. Yep, get the fumbles cleaned up and it’s back to business as usual for AP, haters really gotta be annoyed to see him back out there punishing defenders and Teddy out there just getting it done. Nothing flashy, just defense, running the ball and timely completions.

4. Awesome! Congrats to the Vikings today.
    We really appreciate you guys taking down the Packers biggest adversary this year.

With the Lions sinking to 0-2, and already having a divisional loss, Green Bay’s path to another NFC North crown just got a little easier.

5. Just like I predicted.

The Minnesota Vikings will come back from all adversity.

It’s in our genes.

We win.

Notice how great Teddy Bridgewater and Adrian Peterson played?

Notice how much our defense dominated Matthew Stafford?

We have the best overall team in the NFL, and this proved it today.

We don’t have a single weakness.

The Dynasty is in full force.

#15-1.

Skoooooool Vikings!

6. No trolling, seriously, just curious.

I’d really like to know.

7. I believe the offensive line suffered without Brandon Pettigrew. They couldn’t/didn’t attempt to run the ball and couldn’t provide Stafford adequate protection for timely passes.

8. 53 pass attempts to 16 rushing attempts.

They got away from any kind of balanced attack. Can’t be that one dimensional and try and win in the NFL.

9. The game was not as close as the scoreboard.

I give the Vikings credit for good overall defense, but the Lombardi/Caldwell combination seems unable to scheme an open receiver. Even on the few and far between plays Stafford actually had time the guys seemed to be running around with no plan. I thought Stafford showed a ton of grit and played well considering what he had to work with.

Good win Vikings fans, hope the Lions can defy the odds and overcome an 0-2 start to at least be in the hunt.

10. wafflestomp says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:26 PM

Awesome! Congrats to the Vikings today.
    ************************

After the choke job and getting destroyed in the opening game last year, I would think fans would be paying a bit more attention to the game at hand.

How is it going to feel when the Packers are tied with the Vikings for the division lead at 1-1?

11. Feels good. Heck of a player/human being that made a personal life mistake. And I suppose wafflestomp is perfect. Rename to jesustomp, please.

12. Good team win. That call on 4 th down for the Lions was horrendous. Dude was over a foot short, refs acted clueless and let Stafford get a play off. Real score 26-10 Vikes. Pack loses tonight, good weekend.

13. wafflestomp says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:30 PM

No trolling, seriously, just curious.

I’d really like to know.
    *******************************

While I think he shouldn’t have ever been allowed to play on any NFL team, I think I would rather have him on the Vikings instead of Green Bay.

14. All you fools hating on Teddy, tell me who your qb is! unless he’s top 5 good luck trying to beat his 78% comp rate or 120 qb rating!

Sometimes trolling makes you look like the clueless basement dwelling losers you are!

15. @getsome636
    LMAO at these stats- 0 int’s, 1 TD rushing 1 TD passing for Bridgewater, 172 all-purpose yards for AD……..and most importantly ……a W. Stats say whatever you want them to, victories are what count.

16. How does it honestly feel to cheer on a child abuser that didn’t even want to play for your team?
    ——————————-
    I won’t lie, it feels good.

To give you some perspective on how good. It was just a bit better than watching Packer fans be befuddled when Favre joined the Vikings but not quite as good as watching the end of the NFCCG last year. That was a hoot.

Thanks for asking.

17. Yes, dominate. The Lions were never really in this game. The last Td came after the refs completely blew the Lions coming up short on 4th down. Lions were missing their best defenders, but the Vikings were missing their two best offensive lineman… idiot…
    __________________________________
    Dominate? With 3 defensive starters missing for the Lions, including their best defender? 10 points is dominating? Interesting…

18. purpleandgoldforever says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:35 PM

wafflestomp says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:26 PM

Awesome! Congrats to the Vikings today.
    ************************

________________________________________

Honestly, I like the Packers chances tonight.
    How will I feel if they lose?
    There’s no shame in losing to one of the best teams in the conference, let alone the NFL.
    Especially, when you realize everyone else in the division has to play them too.

Look, I’m just pleased the Lions lost.
    The NFL aint no sprint. 16 games is a long haul with many ups and downs.
    And if it weren’t for our early season injuries, this would be a very pleasant start to our season.

As for tonight, facing the Seahawks, we’ll see what happens.
    But, playing at home, as I said before, I like our chances.

19. Detroit is in big trouble. Suh leaving only highlighted that this talent cycle is coming to a close for the team and was mostly wasted.

Caldwell is not a strong enough coach to win without having far superior talent to put on the field.

Sorry Lions fans, just the way it is.

20. GenXJ says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:37 PM

________________________________________

No, I’m not perfect, but I raised 2 children without feeling the need to bloody them with physical abuse.
    And if I had, I certainly wouldn’t walk around complaining like I was the real victim.

Calling Peterson a Heck of a human being?
    How do you honestly do that with a straight face?
    Or are you one of the Dolts that still contribute to his “charity”.
    skoLOL!

21. It’s only one game… and it’s not like the Vikings could have been worse than they were on MNF. They reeled in Theodore and let AP do most of the work… why that wasn’t the case the first game is beyond me. We will have to see if the Vikings can be consistent after a good showing today though.

22. Vikes needed that one. It’s good to see them get back to a more physical style of play, on both sides. I think they are lucky that AD’s fumble issues showed up early in the season, and in a win. Hopefully, it will be more of a focus for him moving forward.

On defense, they need to stop showing their hand so early. Stafford knew what was coming every time, and often checked into a better play.

Lions look to be a bit of a train wreck so far this year, but a win is a win.

23. 250dollarnflowner | Sep 20, 2015, 1:59 PM PDT
    Good win from start to finish. My only concern with this team is Blair Walsh
    _________________

That’s one of mine as well. He seems to want to continue to hit the little push fade, which is fine. But why line up on the left hash if that’s the ball you want to hit? If he kicks that from the right hash, or even straight on, he essentially “widens” the goal posts. I just don’t get that.

24. Vikings attempting to establish home field advantage by have parachutists smash into visiting players!
    Skydivergate! Someone call Goodell!

25. It’s amazing to me that the Vikings get a WIN, and packer fans who own a piece of paper that they call stock, chime in about how bad the vikes are.

You better hope Rodgers is protected tonight.

26. harry hands says:
    Sep 20, 2015 5:05 PM

It feels great waffle…how you feelin?
    Why so bitter?
    Let it go dude…you’ll feel better.
    ____________________________________

Bitter? Are you serious? (In a calm, soothing voice)
    I’m not bitter and I feel great.
    Perhaps you should go back and review my posts.

I even took the time and congratulated the Vikings on a big divisional win today. And I meant it.

I wont pretend to hide my disdain for Peterson though.
    He physically abused more than one of his children.
    And then had the unmitigated gall to play the victim card.
    He ran a “charity” that allowed him to employ underqualified family members to rent hotel rooms and hookers for sex romps.

But, for the most part it’s the systematic abuse that I have a serious problem with and the fact that most of their fans don’t even seem to care.

If Aaron Rodgers found himself in the middle of an abuse scandal like this.
    After seeing those pictures and the apathy that followed, I could never don his jersey or cheer for him again.
    I just don’t understand how easy it is for most of you.

But I digress, Congrats on your win, enjoy it.
    Cheerfully yours, WaffleStomp

27. The Lions are heading for the NFC basement so Zimmer’s record of beating below .500 teams continue.

Peterson has a history of fumbling (ask the Saints) so he may be back but it comes with its own set of problems. And anyone who thinks Bustwater throwing for 153 yards represents a NFL franchise QB quality outing is in for a big surprise, starting next week.

28. beer4guy says:
    Sep 20, 2015 5:32 PM

But why line up on the left hash if that’s the ball you want to hit?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The kicker doesn’t get to decide where to place the ball on field goal attempts. Ball placement is dictated by the end of the previous play. The ball is snapped from wherever the ball was downed, if between the hash marks. If it was outside the hash marks, the ball is snapped from that side’s hash mark.

29. sparty0n says:
    53 pass attempts to 16 rushing attempts.

_________________

That thinking went out with leather helmets. In today’s NFL you have to play to your perceived strengths versus a particular opponent. In the same game the Vikes only attempted 18 passes and 30 rushes, not much balance there either.
    Elsewhere today 59 pass attempts to 12 rushing attempts resulted in 522 yards and 40 pts. Perhaps it is not so much about balance as it is about mistaken perception.

30. sparty0n says:
    53 pass attempts to 16 rushing attempts.

_________________

31. The Almighty Cabbage | Sep 20, 2015, 3:08 PM PDT
    beer4guy says:
    Sep 20, 2015 5:32 PM

But why line up on the left hash if that’s the ball you want to hit?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

________________

Yes, but the kick he missed today was an extra point. Don’t kickers get to choose which hash, or center, they want to kick the extra point from?

32. Yeah, when AP is not beating his kids, he is busy making new ones to add to his stable of 7 kids with 6 women or whatever. Piece of trash hasnt even met all of his kids.

33. Great gut-check for the Viking players and coaches. Zimmer said last week felt like 0-10. If the singular, week-by-week focus continues they will be better and improve on last year’s record. San Diego will not be easy! Rivers at the top of his game right now.

Proud!

34. I appreciate waffle’s post. It is quite a dilemma rooting for the team. As a long time fan, I cheer for the team but lost all respect for AP. An argument could be made that he made a mistake, but to act the victim is what makes it impossible to swallow. All that said, I will still cheer for the team and appreciate when AP held the team win. I won’t ever wear my AP jersey again but his actions don’t change the team or some of the fans.

As for tonight: go Seahawks.

35. vancouversportsbro says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:20 PM
    That sounds like it was written by the pftpoet.
    ——–

I think MDS is pftpoet, his articles are so pro-viking you would think he was on the payroll. Biased joke.

36. minneanderthals says:
    Sep 20, 2015 6:16 PM
    I think we can all agree that Adrian Peterson is the scum of the earth and that anyone who cheers for him is even worse.

yep totally. he is way worse than ISIS members

37. Tough crowd. I take the time to explain a rule to a Viking fan, even in a polite manner, and I get a thumbs down for my trouble.

Apparently the rumors are correct… not only do they not know anything, they don’t want to know anything.

38. beer4guy,

Yes, I think on PAT’s they do get to choose. I didn’t know what he missed, or that he even did miss one for sure. We didn’t get the Vikings game on TV here. We got the Bears game.

39. Waffles romp says:

No trolling, seriously, just curious.

First, “no trolling?” Most ridiculous statement ever made. anywhere. By anybody.

Second, the sack have employed more rapists than any other NFL team. From Mossy Cade to Darren Sharper, and several in between. Don’t lecture about child abuse unless you burned your Chewie jersey in effigy. The line between legal and illegal is a lot closer in AP’a case than with all those Green Bay Packer sex offenders.

Bottom line, this is Teddie’s team, not AP’s and you’ll see him winning the division regularly in the next few years.
    I’d really like to know.

40. minneanderthals says:
    Sep 20, 2015 6:16 PM
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    you allow him to say that and MOD ME OUT FOR CALLING HIM HIS USER NAME?????
    seriously?

41. minneanderthals says:
    Sep 20, 2015 6:16 PM

darren sharper is way worse

42. I wouldn’t call that domination — nice bounce-back win, but once the Lions were forced to be one-dimensional due to the early lead, the Vikes had a huge advantage.

Not sure I understand the cheesers Bridgewater bashing (other than the usual moronic trolling I guess), since he only had to throw less than 20 times because the Vikes ran so effectively — a completion percentage over 70% and QB rating over 120 ain’t bad. I suppose if he’d thrown for 300 yards, they would have trashed AP’s inability to run the ball.

43. Peterson isn’t an evil guy. They say hurt people hurt other people and that is definitely the case with him. That said being abused as a kid it is truly a joy to watch him get shut down on TV now. That is more than enough entertainment to have the NFL let him play. But as for his character compared to the rest of the league, he is harmless compared to some of these guys.

44. Ah, my bad. I should have clarified I was referring to extra points. Walsh has lined up every extra point, even in the pre-season, on the left hash and continues to hit his push fade. I just don’t understand the logic there and have no confidence in him right now. Glad the game didn’t come down to him needing to hit a FG, or even an extra point for that matter.

45. 3 fumbles by the child abuser, and looks like he is running about a 5.5 40 now. LMAO. Check down teddie makes ponder look good. This is going to be funny watching the purple and yellow tears roll down the ladies checks as this season moves on for the real teams in the NFL, and as usual come December the playing for pride Vikings are making the usual excuses for missing the playoffs…..again

46. I love all the people that complain about AP having kids and being a child beater and babies mamas etc…..blah,blah,blah…..the same people that never gave him any credit before he had any legal trouble, saying he can’t catch or doesn’t block, you people will always focus on the negatives, keep it up, we love it. Any time you take the time to chime in on Vikings players and the team in general it shows how much this team is in your thoughts, far more than I think about any of your teams, but hey, to each their own. It really makes me laugh that after each victory we get to see how you determine it’s not a good win. That the stats were not good and the team got lucky to win. If that’s how it has to be, so be it.

47. afflestomp says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:30 PM
    No trolling, seriously, just curious.

I’d really like to know
    ___________________________
    Not a whole lot different than cheering on a serial rapist FS and voyeuristic QB that no longer wanted to play for your team.

48. Tough crowd. I take the time to explain a rule to a Viking fan, even in a polite manner, and I get a thumbs down for my trouble.

—————————
    Now you know how I felt yesterday explaining to you about the Packer home playoff blackout.

49. afflestomp says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:30 PM
    No trolling, seriously, just curious.

I’d really like to know
    ==========
    You should know… You used to cheer for a guy who Sexually assaulted a 17 year old babysitter in a hot tub and a guy who snuck into a woman’s home and dedicated in her closet.

Packers = holier than thou

50. One thing for sure Walsh HAS to go.
    He has always had a ton of leg, but his FG’s
    were always just inside the post. Now that they have narrowed the posts AGAIN, he just doesn’t have the accuracy! He is going to cost the team this year!
    I’d rather have a kicker with a 45 yard limit than one that cant hit an extra Point!

51. 250dollarnflowner says:
    Sep 20, 2015 8:44 PM

*deficated
    ==================================
    It’s “defecated” by the way. Keep working on it. You’ll get it soon.

52. Do Viking fans ever not complain about, and directly attribute the outcome of games to, the officials?

They honestly believe there is some mass officiating conspiracy to make the Vikings lose all their games and the Packers win all of theirs.

53. SGUIRE……

What you said is perfect.

Packer fans have always been the classless bunch of the NFL, sweeping their chokers under the rug when it comes to rapes, child molesting, assaults, drug dealing….Jolly anyone???

And let’s not forget when a draft pick stinks, we’ll just go kill his dogs…..(Tony Mandarich)

Stay classy Choker fans…stay classy.

54. Great run defense today. I’m glad they got that fixed after last week’s debacle. Detroit never really put up much of a fight so there wasn’t any need to throw the ball much or take any risks. Teddy still needs to show that he can win a game on his own with downfield passing, but I’ll take a dominant win this way over a shootout. I was hoping Walsh could make it through a game without embarrassing himself again, but I guess that isn’t to be this year. Much more optimistic about the Vikes after this week.

55. cribbage12 says: “Bridgewater on pace for 8 TD passes this year. Seems about right – assuming he plays the full 16 game slate.”

Teddy Bridgewater – 18 att, 14 comp, 153 yds, 77.8%, 8.5 y/av, 1 TD/p, 1 TD/r, 0 int, 120.6 qbr

Aaron Rodgers – 33 att, 25 comp, 249 yds, 75.8%, 7.5 y/av, 2 TD/p, 0 TD/r, 0 int, 116.9 qbr

When are you cheeseheads going to finally admit that Teddy at ripe young age of 22 is MORE THAN capable of putting up numbers just as good, or even better than, your 30+ year old qb? In only his 2nd year of playing in the NFL no less… something that took Rodgers 3 years to accomplish.

56. Fumbling isn’t really a concern as much as his inability pick up a blitz. He had fumbling issues versus the Saints a few years back in the NFC title game, but it hasn’t been a problem since. I think chalk up these drops to rust, he hasn’t seen any real action in over a year. He will tighten it up.

His inability to pick up a blitzing line backer is the faf bigger concern. His big reception was on a last second shovel pass that Teddy was forced to throw becuase AD missed his assignment. When the Online is shaky you can’t be missing or Teddy will get killed and things turn into a hot mess. Speaking of hot mess…the Detroit Lions ladies and gentlemen. Let’s see how the Vikes fair against the Broncos in a couple weeks before we declare who they are. That said what we saw yesterday was much closer to the team we expected in week 1.

57. Hopefully AP and the team will see those fumbles were because he was trying to gain that extra yard. Easily correctable. I like that Coach Zim still went back to him after that.

58. Vikings Griffen said they would win and they did. They looked pretty good too. Bell acted like he was “charged up” & going to do something about the comment but did little all day. Lions fans can’t be happy with Caldwell. He is a dud, ownership continues to let that franchise down.

59. I get some people just won’t let a game go by without giving AD some hate. But it will be a long season for you. He looked really good Sunday.

60. J Bell was charged up before this game started. What would have looked like if he wasn’t?Griffen said what everybody else thought. The Vikings would beat the Lions at home.

61. One of those 14 completions was a dump off to Peterson that went for 49 yds. If you look through the play by play you see a lot of this:

3rd and 23 at MIN 44
    3rd and 5 at MIN 24
    Teddy Bridgewater Pass for 4 Yrds, Mike Wallace
    2nd and 6 at MIN 24
    Teddy Bridgewater Pass Complete for 4 Yrds to Charles Johnson

62. sparty0n says:
    Sep 20, 2015 4:32 PM

53 pass attempts to 16 rushing attempts.

__________________________________

Patritos threw the ball 59 times and ran it 10. They won

63. It was a win but it was the Lions who may not win a game this season, yet Viking fans are mentioning the Packers during the game who then go onto to beat the Seahawks. interesting

64. WOW THE DETROIT LIONS PUT BRIDGEWATER AND AP IN THE HALL OF FAME NOW CO NFL MVP’S AND SUPERBOWL MVPS WE WARNED YOU ALL DURING THE PRESEASON END THE SEASON NOW AND JUST GIVE US THE PROPS IT WILL SAVE 31 TEAMS AND THEIR FAN BASES HUMILIATION AND PAIN