Greg Hardy: Best thing for team is making “quarterback feel pain”

Getty Images

Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy’s first outing of the 2015 season had some individual highlights even while his team was getting beaten 30-6 by the Patriots.

Hardy sacked Tom Brady twice and hit him five times in the loss, which is exactly what the Cowboys were hoping to get when they signed Hardy in the offseason. Rookie defensive end Randy Gregory will join Hardy in the lineup against the Giants this weekend and that should help the Cowboys implement the plan that Hardy believes is needed to end a three-game losing streak.

“Hit him in the mouth,” Hardy said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “The best thing for any team is to make the quarterback feel pain. You’ve got to be respectful of the rules of the game and honestly you don’t want to hurt anybody, but to make him feel you is to bring his eyes down. You don’t want a quarterback like Eli Manning looking down the field, ever. Ever, ever, ever.”

The Eagles sacked Manning three times and got consistent pressure last Monday night on their way to a 27-7 victory, so it’s a blueprint that makes sense for the Cowboys to use as they prepare for Sunday’s game. Pulling it off could also leave less on the shoulders of an offense that won’t have Tony Romo and seems unlikely to have Dez Bryant.

59 responses to “Greg Hardy: Best thing for team is making “quarterback feel pain”

1. DoomsDay Defense. Hardy, Crawford, Gregory, DLaw Mincey, Lee and McClain. This defense and running game HAVE to win games until Romo and Dez get back on the field. Weak division. Winning this game will put the Cowboys right back as the division leader just like that.

2. I get what he is saying, but for some reason coming from him, and knowing full well he is trying to stoke the media and get attention by saying it, just makes me sick

3. Its this kind of disingenuous attitude that bothers me the most about many football players. You want him to feel pain but you don’t want to hurt him? You can’t have it both ways.

4. Except that didn’t work against the Patriots. Yes, you brutalized Tom Brady, but he’s one of the toughest in the league. He just kept getting back up and throwing TD’s.

5. robbieboston says:
    Oct 22, 2015 9:10 AM

*****************************

Giants and Eli are no where near the Patriots and Brady caliber….

6. Right, except after the Eagles loss – Macadoo is going to game against Hardy all night. Good luck getting to Eli with the ball in his hands – the Giants won’t let it happen again, and Dallas’ outside coverage can and will be exposed.

7. How about winning the game?, these “look at me” players somehow forget the game is more about their own stats
    ——————————————————————

Hardy was answering a question. Like what do you have to do to beat Eli Manning type question. What do you expect a defensive end to say?

8. Greg Hardy might be the biggest jerk in the world. I can’t say, because I’ve never met him. But what he’s saying is 100% truth, and 100% of employees from every single NFL team are doing/saying/thinking the same thing. Players, coaches, GMs, owners. That’s why good Left Tackles make so much money, and go high in the first round. If J.J. Watt was quoted saying the same thing, we’d all be saying what I just said.

9. @beersbudnbevo
    Your right Eli and The Giants are no where close to Brady and the Pats……we are better!
    Or do I have to remind you of those 2 super bowl loses

10. He is a dog.. I like dogs on defense. Charles Haley was a dog and he is in the hall of fame. Give me a bunch of dogs on defense and a bunch of scholars on offense. Ill take it.

11. This dude’s gotta choose his words a little more carefully. First the “guns blazin” comment and now this? If he would have just said something about how it’s good to hit a qb early in the game so he’s rattled/skittish/hearing footsteps, that would have been fine. He needs to understand he’s on thin ice and ease off these types of comments that perpetuate the public perception that he’s a creep woman beater.

But that won’t happen because he doesn’t make good decisions and he is a creep woman beater.

12. The Eagles in the second half showed the rest of the league the blueprint for shutting down Odell Beckham. I’m sure the Cowboys will copy that. That’s big trouble for the Giants because their O-Line is not good, it only looked that way because their WR’s were getting open so quickly. I want the Giants to win but I don’t see it happening…

13. abninf says:
    Eli will be broken into tine little pieces. He’s already scared.
    _______________

It’s not exactly easy to break Eli, no one has managed it in 183 consecutive starts. As for scaring him they don’t call him Ez Eli for nothing. I freely admit 90% of QB’s would be rightfully concerned facing that pass rush behind that line especially with the limited weapons he currently has at his disposal but Eli isn’t one of them. He may have his flaws but underneath it all Eli Manning is a bad bad man in his own right, he is as tough as they come and only a fool would attempt to deny it.

14. “There are doubtless many technical subtleties to the Eagles game-plan for slowing down Cam Newton this week.

But at its core, Eagles defensive end Fletcher Cox said the plan was simple.

“Get him uncomfortable,” Cox said, via Ed Kracz of the Burlington County Times. “Hit him, hit him, hit him, hit him, hit him, even when they run the ball, hit him. I think that will shake him up a bit, make him frustrated and that’s when all quarterbacks start doing crazy things.”

But no one says any thing about this…..

15. robbieboston says:
    Oct 22, 2015 9:10 AM

*****************************

True, but Brady gets to repeat and rinse this week against the JETS and next week vs. the Dolphins.

I hope your using Head and Shoulders Tommy Boy.

16. beersbudnbevo says:

whatsthat123 says:
    Anybody who thinks Eli is better than Brady is a complete idiot. Jeez..
    ________________

whatsthat123 is absolutely right. At least 10% of all teams fans are yahoos, Giants included. Please don’t judge the rest of us by that 10% lest you be judged by your teams.

I am a long time Giants fan but no QB in the salary cap era, and possibly ever, has been better than Tom Brady. I am married to a hardcore Pats fan so it pains me to admit this but anyone who doesn’t at least have Brady on the Mount Rushmore of QBs is indeed a complete idiot.

17. I hate to admit it but that goon will probably have a huge game against the Giants O-line.

Then again, wasn’t he going up against a backup tackle in the New England game?

18. rogerbueno11 says:
    Oct 22, 2015 10:35 AM
    robbieboston says:
    Oct 22, 2015 9:10 AM

*****************************

I hope your using Head and Shoulders Tommy Boy.

——————

Brady will rinse and repeat…..and the Pats will still be undefeated two weeks from now.

19. Hardy has a lot of class, too bad it’s all low!

Cowturd fans only wish they had a QB as tough as Eli instead of princess Romo

20. gpete1962 says:

Hardy has a lot of class, too bad it’s all low!

Cowturd fans only wish they had a QB as tough as Eli instead of princess Romo
    ———-

Hardy is a Delta Bravo, albeit a talented one. I wanted to thumbs up this post until I read the last 4 words. You can question some things about Romo but his toughness isn’t one of them. Dude played with a punctured lung. Wish more people understood wins actually feel better when you beat an opponent you respect

21. It’s only a matter of time before this Hood Rat will be behind bars again.

Great role model!!

Stay Classy JJ

22. jag1959 it’s nice to see someone with some common sense
    here.. I’ve always liked and respected Eli, he is a pretty good QB. I’ll never forget him taking that shot and getting up looking out his ear hole. Those two Super Bowl match ups were great games, damnit I wish we would of won them!! Lol
    4 rings for Brady, 2 for Eli.. Nothing wrong with that 🙂

23. To the “look at me” “its about wins crowd” He is a defensive end and is paid to hit the QB as many times as possible. The more times he does it…the more likely they will win.

If I was paying him 8 figures I’d be a little concerned if he said I try to gently brush up against a QB.

24. divan22 says:
    Lot of scared Little Giants fans talking trash.
    ——-

And yet to this point I have only seen 2. There actually seems to be a pretty fair amount of respect being shown for the ‘Boys just none for the scumbag, as it should be. Obviously @divan22 has a different definition of “lot” than most people.

25. I see most of you guys calling out Greg Hardy, about beating up a money grubbing, crack head girlfriend, but I don’t hear you guys calling out Johnny Manziel for beating up his drunk Girlfriend and we do have it on the police dash camera.

26. Let’s be honest, the Giants WR are not that great. OBJ is a 1 year wonder so far and he was completely shut down in the Cowboys first game that was without Greg Hardy. It’s sickening how folks take previous years and apply them to current years. The secondary isn’t amazing, but it is by far better than it was last year, the year before, and so on.

Julio Jones exposed this secondary. He has also exposed every other secondary he has played against. This secondary made Gronk look human.

Give them credit where credit is due.

27. dg0122 says:
    Oct 22, 2015 8:57 AM

What a fine human being this guy is. Nice move Cowboys
    ———————
    The NFL is not a social club. When you get past the pink gear and other warm fuzzies, football is a game of violence. Accept it for what it is, or go watch some soccer.

28. OK this guy really is taking his script from Rocky III now. I was joking about it before with Brady’s wife comment. “Hey Woman!”

29. I personally have no issues with his statement. He’s just saying what’s on his mind and, more than likely, what’s on the mind of majority of defensive players when posed the same question.

But to the posters saying Giants fans should be scared, I really don’t see any reason as to why we should be. I may be a die hard fan but am also realistic. Could the team make a run with the remaining games? Yes, it’s not impossible but highly unlikely with the Swiss cheese O line and inconsistent play on both sides of the ball. This season is more than likely a lost one for us. There’s a big chance they also lose this next game against the Cowboys. But see, I can’t really be concerned or to use your words “scared” of a Cowboys team that, and again to use your words, have taken the last 5 or so game against the Giants because I know they won’t do anything with that win. The last couple of wins the Giants probably won against the Cowboys and Philly, was more than likely when they went to win their last two SBs. So I know and can tell when the Giants would go on a playoff and a SB run. The same cannot be said about Dallas and Philly. They may win ALL, not some, ALL games against the Giants but come February they are always with us watching the SB. So you see, the last thing I’m concerned of is how many wins the Cowboys or the Eagles have against us.

Additionally, you can question Eli’s toughness and his play but I would take Eli over Romo all day everyday. Romo is a tough SOB but he has what, one playoff win with, wait, let’s not even talk about SB wins, just experience. What is it… none, right? Like it or not, Eli has not only been to the last NFL game of the season twice, he’s won both as well. So you can keep Romo and keep trashing Eli. With EZ E, we know exactly what we have, a winner when it counts. Oh wait, that’s right, with Romo, you Cowboys fans also know what you have….. lol!!!!

30. Dallas has too many drama queens, that’s why their nickname is the “girls”. Too much drama!!!!!!!!!