Lacerated kidney, abdominal injury sideline Andrew Luck

AP

A lacerated kidney and a partial tear of an abdominal muscle will sideline Colts quarterback Andrew Luck, the Colts announced Tuesday.

The team said Luck will miss 2-6 weeks with the injuries.

“The injuries happened at the end of an early fourth quarter scramble when Andrew was doing everything he could to get us the win,” Colts coach Chuck Pagano said, via the team. “Andrew was sore after the game and was feeling a little worse Monday afternoon so we sent him to get tests.”

The team statement also said Luck would not require surgery but quoted Pagano as saying “it’s too early to guess” exactly how long Luck will be out.

The Colts got their biggest win — and probably played their best game — of the season last weekend against the Broncos to move to 4-5 on the season. They’re off this week and play at the Falcons on Nov. 22.

Matt Hasselbeck won both of his starts earlier in the season while Luck battled a shoulder injury.

106 responses to “Lacerated kidney, abdominal injury sideline Andrew Luck

1. Liars

We all know you’ve been hiding injuries to Luck for weeks. This a desperate attempt to keep from being fined or worse

The Indianapolis Laughingstock, proud to be the softest team in the league

2. Huh? Those are big ticket injuries to just get noticed a few days after a game. Maybe they’re lingering issues that were left off the report a few weeks ago.

3. They Sucked for Luck, and now it Sucks to be Luck with that pitiful franchise. The ownership, front office, and coaching staff all need to be fired. Grigson and Pagano are disasters, and Irsay oversees it all.

4. So Indy decides to not originally report lucks rib injury, (cheating!) now evidently irsay shared some of his pain meds w/luck, & he consumed so much oxcy he never felt his kidney when it was sliced! Way to go shoes!

5. It’s been a perfect storm of injuries and chaos throughout the AFC this year. Only the Bengals have somehow managed to avoid any of their key players suffering serious injury. As much as I’d be shocked to see Andy Dalton win in a big spot, the stars have aligned for him to lead the Bengals to win at least a playoff game or two.

Hell might freeze over.

6. terripet says:
    Nov 10, 2015 8:53 AM
    Colts will win 6 out of 7 and finish 10 6

Yeah, probably not!
    It doesn’t matter they would have lost to NE AGAIN if they made the playoffs.

7. Luck may have been hiding rib injuries but there’s no way he was hiding a lacerated kidney.

Best of, um, luck to Andrew. My institutional contempt for the Colts is reserved for Irsay and Grigson – Luck seems like a decent guy.

8. Problem with counting on Bengals to win playoff games is that the 2-3 game in the AFC playoffs is liable to be brutal. Arguably the three best teams in NFL right now are in AFC, and certainly three of best four.

9. I like Mr Luck. Good man, competitive as they get. Hate to see him or anyone hurt. But I have to wonder if possibly a broken rib didn’t lacerate that kidney? The guy played with reckless abandon and has clearly paid the price. For his sake I hope a new regime takes over the philosophy going forward and a talented QB isn’t wasted. OMG I just wished the Colts well? No, a good man who deserves better than the hand he’s been dealt.

10. So when hearing about ownership’s intervention in recent weeks, did ownership insist Luck be put on the field or was ownership lobbying that Luck NOT play?

11. This thread is everyone talking smack on the Colts, who just beat the undefeated Broncos. It’s news of an injury. You’re all terrible people.

12. As a Pats fan, Luck is a very tough guy. The hits he took during that game were brutal. And to play through all the injuries he’s had is impressive. He’s a great quarterback and here’s wishing to a speedy recovery.

Real Patriot’s fans don’t wish injuries on any team and once the Colts start winning some games against us, we may start to take your franchise seriously again.

13. Poor kid got absolutely demolished in that game against Denver, I couldn’t believe it was possible for him to actually make it out of there unscathed. The fact that he played through all of that to pull out the win just proves he’s the toughest QB in the league, unlike that Ugg wearing princess in NE who does a fainting goat impression every time a defender gets within 5 feet of him. Get some much needed rest Andrew, we’ll see you in December!

14. I couldn’t believe he got up after one of the hits where he was scrambling and got hit pretty hard, and as he was going down got awkwardly crunched by a big d-lineman running in full speed from behind. I think I’d be at my funeral right now if that happened to me haha

tough dude

15. 6 games is too many for Hass, especially since he already has 2 under his belt.

Which of course means that Grigson will fail to sign another QB and so week 11 will see Ryan Mallet starting just 48 hours after stepping off the plane.

16. As a Pats fan, Luck won back a LOT of respect from me with that performance Sunday night.

More than the yards and TDs he managed, it was his courage to stay in the pocket and deliver the ball time and time again knowing he was going to get pummeled . So news of his injuries aren’t a huge surprise to me. What was surprising was that he kept getting up and performing at that high level.

If he gets in the right system and a decent OL, Luck truly CAN become one of the elite QB’s of his generation. To do that and stay in one piece, he might have to get out of Indy after next year. No one can expect him to take such a beating year after year and not have it affect his play.

17. whispersd says:
    Nov 10, 2015 3:19 PM
    …My institutional contempt for the Colts is reserved for Irsay and Grigson – Luck seems like a decent guy.

I am on board with the above statement.

Hopefully Luck comes back strong and soon.

18. 3-2 while he is out. Easily make the playoffs and this will give him time heal other aches and pains. Will be in good shape for playoffs.

No worries.

19. Two truths that I hold as self evident based on viewing the Colts-Broncos game. Luck is very tough man. TJ Ward is a dirty player.

20. Grigson’s going to get this kid killed. What a bum GM. Luck’s blood is on your hands you crybaby snitch.

21. Ribs arent near the kidneys for all you wannabe doctors out there….look at the footage of the hit that caused this. He got doubled up by two Denver players and took a direct kidney shot.

Regardless this is due in part to Grigson not addressing to line. Part is just Luck being Luck and trying to make the play. The fact he continued to play shows ridiculous toughness. But stop with “it was ribs all along and they were hiding it” bc it’s BS. He wouldn’t have been able to play as he did Sunday with cracked ribs. And again, the kidneys are no where near the ribs everyone “thought” he had injured

22. Guy took a beating, some of it on very questionable hits. Certainly can’t question his toughness. I have a burning contempt for the colts as an organization but it doesn’t extend to the players. Hope he has a fast and full recovery.

23. enochmh2 says:
    Nov 10, 2015 3:11 PM

only need 6 wins to get you afc south anyway

Was going to say they might need 7; but, no sir, you are correct

24. Rotoworld says Luck will be a free agent after the end of the 2016 season…maybe he will really want to get off of Irsay island.

25. Everyone commenting that these are lingering injuries but I’m not so sure after watching the Broncos/Colts game. Plenty of times throughout the game the Broncos got off many late & cheap shots that the refs turned a blind eye to. That’s unfortunate news after Colts played their best game of the year but they should still be fine with Hasselbeck under center.

PS-I’m not a Colts fan at all, but a Pats fan. Hopefully Luck will be fine in time for the playoffs.

26. A lacerated kidney would cause blood clots in the bladder. I’ve been there, developed bleed after surgery. The flushing of the bladder due to blood clots is something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. Luck has my sympathy.

27. The Colts stepped it up when Luck was out, I suspect they will do it again. Their remaining schedule is soft – only 2 teams have winning records. The other 5 teams, 3 of which are in the Colts division, are a combined 13-28. I don’t see how the Colts can’t win their division.

28. get well soon, Andrew. so sorry about your lame GM. what a cluster of a front office. time to rebuild COMPLETELY around you all starting by firing the GM.

29. I’m a Pats fan who admires Andrew Luck and has respect for the team. Their game plan against the Patriots this year was very effective until they abandoned it. I do not think the Colts are soft, as so many trolls have stated. I think they have many pieces in place and with a few proper draft picks can be a real contender. In medicine, sometimes you chop off the hand to save the arm. For the Colts, I think you need to chop above the neck to save the body.

30. If the Colts had any common sense, they would put Luck on IR, and make Hasselbeck the starter for the rest of the season. Give Luck time to heal, and he will be ready to play next season.

31. Houston may steal afc south from indy with this luck injury window of opportunity. with mallett no longer a distraction and gone from team, hou and hoyer are playing better

32. competitivecompetitioncompeter says:
    Nov 10, 2015 3:30 PM
    6 games is too many for Hass, especially since he already has 2 under his belt.

_________________________________________

You are assuming Mallet won’t miss his flight.

33. Tough as nails. Get well Andrew.

Result of playing hopped up on pain killer with hidden broken ribs? Maybe. Looking forward to that NFL investigation protecting the integrity of the game… And also evidently protecting Luck’s health.

34. I watched Luck being banged around during the game and I wondered how their coach can do that esp with the rumor that he was hurt but not reported. I have an inkling that this would happen. As much as I don’t like their coach etc, Luck and the other players are nice. Hope he gets a long rest and get well soon. Their back QB is not shabby. They’ll get by.
    Let it be understood that Pats quarrel is not with Luck and their players. We respect those guys…

35. no surprise that he’s was hurt after the game they needed an ascus for him being hurt when every one knows he had broken ribs that way they don’t get a fine from the NFL the hole team are liars where is the investigation there won’t be one Goodell is a joke now they will lose the wrest of the season so they can get a good draft pick like a O-line man Goodell should but won’t take their first draft pick

36. rexdarteskimospy says:
    Nov 10, 2015 3:16 PM

———————————————————-
    This. As a bengals fan, seeing this team healthy right now is absolutely amazing, but we haven’t forgotten last season when Dalton was throwing to RB as his 2nd WR in the playoffs. Hoping the health stays around through feb. WHO DEY!

37. Another Pats fan with no contempt for Luck (just Irsay and Grigson).

But he is like like many of the “new breed” of QB, who feel a need to put themselves in harms way by running when the play breaks down, rather than just tossing the ball away and depending on your defense to hold the opponent.

That’s the big difference between a well balanced team and one that depends on their #1 draft pick to carry the team.

38. Why would Andrew Luck stay in Indy? He’s hurt, his play is obviously compromised and the Colts just hide his injury and his coach throws him under the bus. Add to that his idiot GM wasting picks on skill guys instead of linemen that can keep him healthy.

39. CURSE OF DEFLATEGATE…..continues.

Grigson and Pagano…lied, fabricated, and used that as an excuse for their failures. Truth is…they got Luck killed out there.

Irony is…his last game, he helped the Patriots out…..the Curse has many avenues.

40. Pats fan here. I have the upmost respect for Andrew Luck in the way he plays the game. No need to throw him in with all the Karma crap and all that mess Patriots fans. The man has a lacerated kidney and who the hell else knows what. He got it after getting smashed for about the 15th time in that game. Have some respect for that.

41. Some of these comments are sick.
    Do you also poke fun at people when they are in car accidents and lacerate their kidneys?
    Screw 2-6 weeks to play football.
    How about 2-6 weeks to function as a healthy human?

42. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Grigson / Irsay degraded the offensive line so W-L record would be bad, Pagano’s contract not renewed and Colts could pay Luck less in his next contract.

43. I hope AL gets better soon and has his pain managed properly.

The thought of him pissing out blood clots while Roger Goodell enjoys a little more Bailey’s in his coffee on a first class trans Atlantic flight makes me puke in my mouth.

Go Pats!

44. I dislike the Colts just like any other Pats fan but you have to respect the way Andrew Luck plays his position and think he takes far more heat than he deserves at this stage in his career. You have to tip your hat to they way he sacrificed his body against a tough Broncos defense. I believe he will be an elite quarterback in this league for many years to come. Hope he gets well soon and makes it back in time to lose to the Patriots once again in the playoffs.

45. After reading all these posts from Pats fans, I see that we can all agree on one thing. We both want Grigson gone.

He has done a horrible job protecting his most valuable asset. BB has always put a premium on protecting Brady, and the guy never gets hit. Seems like a pretty basic concept that somehow Grigson has failed to grasp.

46. Pats fan here, I feel terrible for Luck. He seems like a good kid. I posted earlier today that he got hit so many times in the game Sunday that he looked like a pinata. I blame Irsay, Grigson and Pagano. If I were Luck I’d take the first opportunity to get out of Indy and go to a team where they’ll build around you and give you some protection. Still have no use for the Colts; but, I would never wish any of them to get injured (and as someone with kidney disease, I know, a lacerated kidney is nothing to take lightly. They’d better be darned sure Luck is ready to go when he comes back).

47. gacoltfan says:
    Nov 10, 2015 5:23 PM

———–
    I actually posted last week on a different site that the Pats and Colts have the same “enemy”. I would love nothing more than to go back to a good, old-fashioned rivalry rather than this animosity that I blame Grigson, Irsay and Goodell and his minions for. Goodell loves to play one fan base against another. The Colts players deserve better.

48. Hmm, it seems broken ribs are a pretty good cause of abdominal tears and any internal organ being lacerated, but that’s none of my business.

49. gp1390r.: Wrong. The lower back ribs protect the kidneys. As an operating room nurse, I can tell you that our kidney instrument tray includes a “rib shear” as we sometimes have to remove part of a rib to get at the kidney. You’re welcome.

50. Watching that game the other night, I thought to myself, this guy isn’t a quarterback.

He’s a football player.

51. “JaminJake says:
    Nov 10, 2015 3:18 PM

Tank for Tackles is in full effect now!”

Now that’s funny.

Thanks, I needed a laugh after wading through all the boring bitter brady gals that just keep posting the same whiny, paranoid delusional crap ad nauseum.

52. It’s rather refreshing to read all the “nice” thoughts for Luck from Patriots fans. I think all fans want to get back to simply enjoying the game and the special men who play it. We lose sight of the fact that these are real men with real emotions and suffer real pain. I find it encouraging to see respect for the adversary who puts it all on the line.

53. Forget the deflate-gate karma… someone in Colts management chose to play Luck while he was injured…despite the fact that Hasselbeck went 2-0 in relief of him. I don’t wish injury upon any player, regardless of uniform (though Greg Hardy is pushing it with me, IMO) This is same management team that set off deflate-gate & fudged in the injury report all season long… I don’t need to tell anyone what would happen if the Pats were suspected of doing the same thing… Speedy recovery to Luck & remember Colts fans, I hate your management, not your players

54. gp1390r.: Wrong. The lower back ribs protect the kidneys. As an operating room nurse, I can tell you that our kidney instrument tray includes a “rib shear” as we sometimes have to remove part of a rib to get at the kidney. You’re welcome.
    ————————————————————
    Let me set this straight. IF he did have any rib injury, it would have been the upper front section. If you watch the clip from the Titans game where he winces when Hasslebeck pats him ON THE UPPER CHEST you’d know that. But again, this was a separate injury. He was hit hard in the lower back. On a scramble. By two separate defenders. Stop with the conspiracy theory nonsense. If the Colts knew he had cracked ribs there is no way he plays. He is their franchise. IF he really did have cracked ribs he didn’t tell them. But again, the two injuries aren’t related. You can hate the Colts all you want, but they wouldn’t subject him to further injury if he did tell them he had cracked ribs, or it was discovered by team docs. Especially when Hasslebeck was playing well. They have held out other players for much less severe injuries. Stop this nonsense

55. Oh and I’ve been hearing how terrible the Colts offensive line is. Yes, they aren’t awesome. But they have given Luck the 4th longest time to throw according to Pro Football Focus, however Luck takes the 3rd longest time to throw. Dallas has the best line in the NFL and Romo still went down with a broken collarbone. Plus Luck was injured on a scramble. Luck is going to be (unless he makes some major changes) a lot like Big Ben and will miss games from time to time. He needs to stop hanging in so long and also learn to slide. Fact is, this is the best line he has had in his 4 years with the Colts. I love Luck’s competitiveness but he has to reign in the reckless play