Aaron Rodgers on Lions: “Just kind of fell our way the last 20 times”

AP

Aaron Rodgers has been around the league long enough to know that anything can happen 24 times or so.

The Packers quarterback apparently tried to keep a straight face when asked on a conference call about the current Lions’ 0-for-Wisconsin streak, and the advantage that might confer to his team.

“That’s a good question, but I don’t really think it does because there are probably some guys on both teams who weren’t born when that streak began,” Rodgers said, via Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “I’ve been a part of a lot of the games. There have been some close ones over the years, some battles. It’s just kind of fell our way the last 20 times or whatever but it’s always been very competitive.”

There was then a pause for laughter from the questioners, but Rodgers was trying to be nice.

“Come on now,” he said. “Keep it together. Keep it professional.”

Perhaps the Lions should try. They haven’t won a game at Green Bay since Dec. 15, 1991. And Rodgers is right, 11 Lions players weren’t even born when that happened.

Including a playoff loss, the Lions have lost 24 straight in Wisconsin since then.

“You know how I feel about records,” Lions safety Glover Quin said. “If it’s there, somebody’s going to break it at some point in time. Some streak is going to get snapped at some point in time. And this is the perfect year to go up and snap the streak.”

Sure, it can happen. After all, Rodgers hadn’t lost back-to-back starts since 2010 — until last week.

70 responses to “Aaron Rodgers on Lions: “Just kind of fell our way the last 20 times”

1. The Lions may be at the bottom of the division, but leave it to Rodgers to be smug…Not much class there…

2. This week is the last chance the Lions have to do something a little meaningful for themselves this year. I hope they break the streak. Hope usually doesn’t win games.

3. Anyone else think this is more about how awful the Lions have been rather than how good the Packers have been?

4. After all, Rodgers had never lost back-to-back starts since taking over as the Packers starter — until last week.

——————————————-

Yes he did! In 2010 against the Washington and Miami

but that’s ok cause the pack won the Super Bowl that year too

5. Rodgers lost back to back games in his first season as a starter – Week 3/4 2008….Cowboys and Bucs…in fact he lost 5 in a row as the starter from weeks 12-16 that year, before stopping the slide at Lambeau vs….the Lions, of course. Lions finish their season 0-16…..don’t think the Lambeau record ends this weekend!

6. step 1: ridicule and talk trash to the other team
    step 2: play poorly and lose
    step 3: whine about the comments/actions from the team that just smoked you
    step 4: repeat in 7 days

7. Aaron Rodgers could possibly be the greatest pure passer in the history of the league. He also has a very disturbing tendency to urinate down his leg in big moments, especially on the road.

He usually says the right thing but he often comes across as a smug jerk the way he says it as most non packers fan know.

If he has a great team around him, especially a great defense (the packers had the second ranked defense in the entire league the year he won the SB). Rodgers is the guy you want leading your team.

If your team is behind in the 4th, I’m taking someone else, especially on the road.

8. Might as well not even get off the plane or the bus Lions. It’s too bad they can’t “forfeit” and not even step on the field. An angry Packers team with 2 straight losses is going to slaughter them.

9. This is why Rodgers is one of my favorites.

Dude has some personality. Who wouldn’t laugh at that?

He should have followed that up with, “God has chosen us to win I guess”.

Best troll ever.

10. Trap game?
    Abdullah runs for 200+. Mancans (Stafford) throws 3 tds.

Rodgers throws 2 ints. CM3 gets scalped. Lacy eats every hot dog delivered to section 117. Moobs (McCarthy) flogs Capers.

11. I hate interviews leading up to lopsided games. Opposing coaches and players gush like they’re facing the ’84 Niners or something. Just once, I’d like to hear somebody like Rodgers this week state the obvious – “The Lions are really horrible this year, we’re going to grind them to a pulp on Sunday.”

12. scoops1 says:
    Nov 12, 2015 8:20 AM

——————————————-

Yes he did! In 2010 against the Washington and Miami
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, 2010 was the third season in a row that AR lost back to back games.

In 2008 he lost three in a row early in the season, lost back to back in the middle and then just for good measure lost 5 in a row in the last part of the season.

13. Wow, who would of thought that an article about the lions and pack would have a comment section full of Viking posters. What a surprise…that never happens. My God we are in your heads. Sad really.

14. “Sure, it can happen. After all, Rodgers had never lost back-to-back starts since taking over as the Packers starter — until last week.”

It happened last in 2010 against Redskins and Dolphins during the same regular season.

15. Not bulletin board material. Most of the Lions players weren’t there for 90% of the streak and most of them don’t want to be there now. I have a feeling the Packers are going to take out some frustrations in this one and the Lions are finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also love that so many are writing the Packers off after 2 road losses to elite teams. They play much better as underdogs with a chip on their shoulder than as frontrunners.

16. For me having watched both teams a lot this year it comes down to the pass rush.

1. Lions and Pack have the two worst pass defensive teams in football; toss up
    2. Lions and Pack have so so running games this year with injuries and what ever; toss up
    3. Stafford and Rogers have both been less than stellar at times but both can light it up also; toss up
    4. Lions and Pack special teams; not so special
    5. Lions and Pack O lines have been average at best and not protecting QB; toss up
    6. Lions and Pack pass rush will be the secret. The team that can put the most pressure of the QB wins the day.

Forget the fans. Mostly drunk cheese heads who start crying for long periods when something goes wrong. They are anything but boisterous like Seattle Fans.

17. I found it rather funny. I guess most on here would prefer the standard answers….both teams are talented, any given Sunday any team can win, we’re all just going to go out and play hard. O yea and all thanks to God…..can’t forget God…….Every time a player shows a little personality leave it to fans to try and smack him down.

18. pkrlvr says:
    Nov 12, 2015 9:34 AM

——————————————————————
    Not a Viking or Packer fan but the way the Vikes are playing and the quality of players on both sides of the ball there is no comparison with the Packers. I can easily envision the Pack losing to the Lions and the Vikes and being down two games in the division in two weeks. The wheels fall off that wagon if that happens.

19. He has evolved into an arrogant and smug q/b! That’s very sad…I expect him to tell another team’s coaches to “learn the rule book”, very soon!

20. He’ll be happy with more than 77 yards this week. Then it’s up to his softfense.

21. “Sure, it can happen. After all, Rodgers had never lost back-to-back starts since taking over as the Packers starter — until last week.”

Packers fan’s fictionally made up Aaron Rodgers.

And then there is the truth:

“Rodgers lost back to back games in his first season as a starter – Week 3/4 2008….Cowboys and Bucs…in fact he lost 5 in a row as the starter from weeks 12-16 that year, before stopping the slide at Lambeau vs….the Lions, of course. Lions finish their season 0-16”

“Also 49ers ended the Packers 2013 season with a Loss and the Seahawks gave the Packers a Loss to open the 2014 season. Different seasons, but back to back losses by Rodgers.”

It also happened in 2010.

I understand why a lot of packers fans would prefer their made up version of Rodgers.

Unfortunately for them, his teams have only gotten to one SB the entire time he has been a starter (that time with the 2nd best defense in the entire nfl) in large part because he ain’t that guy.

22. mortalkondek says:
    Nov 12, 2015 8:31 AM

Really sucks when you’re team is the laughing stock of the league.
    —————————–

Come on. The Packers aren’t that bad.

23. Such a smug jerk. This is why he is disliked everywhere but in the little village known as Green Bay.

24. mp4pack says:
    Nov 12, 2015 9:37 AM

————-

They were underdogs the last two weeks and they lost both games. Try a new theory.

25. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Nov 12, 2015 10:36 AM

The Packers were favored in the last 2 games. Try a new understanding of the word “underdog.”
    ————
    Judging how they played, I assumed they were underdogs. Looking back, they definitely should have been.

26. I think the Viking trolls should be more concerned about Oakland than assuring themselves of a trip to the Super Bowl at the expense of Green Bay.

He who laughs last……laughs best.

27. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Nov 12, 2015 10:36 AM

_________

According to your definition, that means the Packers choked in those games.

28. What you wish would happen in the Lions locker room by the coach something like, “Well guys new GM and CEO coming and I probably won’t be here either and probably many of you, and yes we are not going to the play-offs this year, but you know what the heck with it, lets play this for pride, for yourselves, lets give these guys a 3 game loss. Let’;s show them that we have some talent, pride and honor in this room. Let go and beat them packers.”

What you will get is, “Well huh, it is almost time to play, eh lets go.”

29. Hoping they take this game as a given, the Lions are a very dangerous team right now . Wouldn’t be the least surprized it h curds take another loose .

30. mortalkondek says:
    Nov 12, 2015 8:31 AM
    Really sucks when you’re team is the laughing stock of the league.

————-
    And which team would you be talking about? Lions or Packers?

31. It is funny the same way that Peyton Manning talking about the injury report for reporters was funny. It wasn’t particularly disrespectful or mean spirited. It was silly.

If you don’t want a guy to rip on beating you 24 times in a row at home, then try winning the occasional football game.

32. It doesn’t matter what Rodgers says- Vikings fans would find fault with it if he had just said “Hello”. It’s a knee-jerk reaction by one of the less respected fan bases in sports.

And I like the inferences that the that the Packers may lose to the Lions.

Do Vikings fans realize that they lost to the laughingstock of the league, the 49ers?

33. lindacaseauthor says:
    Nov 12, 2015 12:56 PM
    mortalkondek says:
    Nov 12, 2015 8:31 AM
    Really sucks when you’re team is the laughing stock of the league.

————-
    And which team would you be talking about? Lions or Packers?
    …………………………………………………………………………………………..

My guess he was referring to the team that got blown out in 4 Superbowls.

34. I think there’s a chance the Lions could pull this out, after all they’ve had a bye week to get healthy and two weeks to plan for the Cheeseheads, had a change in coaching staff, and the wrath of ownership is breathing down their necks. It’s a divisional game so emotions will run high. And I just can’t get that Seattle game out of my head, a game AT Seattle, a place where the Cheeseheads have never won in recent history, and if not for that bogus bat out of hell call, the Lions would have beat the Hawks. I dont think a win is impossible. So I guess I’ll say, GO Lions!

35. lindacaseauthor says:
    Nov 12, 2015 6:08 PM

===================================

36. it was smug and disrespectful, but I understand those traits are SOP for Packer fans, so they probably don’t understand why normal people are offended…

37. Anything can happen. I mean, the horrible 49ers, with the worst offense in the league in both yards and scoring, absolutely embarrassed the Vikings earlier this year.
    ——————-
    That was the first game of the season, cheesy. And if we replayed it today, YOU KNOW we would blow them out. I’m sure the Vikings wished they would have that game back like the Cheesers will wish they had the Lions game back.

38. lindacaseauthor says:
    Nov 13, 2015 3:36 PM

——————-
    ==================================

You can call me “cheesy” if you want, but I’m a Bears’ fan from Chicago. Whatever works for you.

Anyway, you’re team is 6-2 against a bunch of teams whose total won-lost record is something like 14-34. The Vikings’ haven’t won anything yet and you’re QB has regressed into one of the worst in the league. But keep talking. It’s done so much for you in the past. What is it, one playoff game in the last 5 years? A loss to the Packers? That and a bunch of Vikings’ fans telling everyone how great their team is every year.

39. No, I don’t know that any more than I know that if they played the Bears again at Soldier Field, they would lose.

—————
    Beat the Rams and I’ll listen to you.