Gregg Williams on Mike Zimmer’s comments: I’m not worried about that

Getty Images

After last Sunday’s victory over the Rams, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer took issue with the hit by Rams cornerback LaMarcus Joyner that knocked quarterback Teddy Bridgewater out of the game with a concussion.

Among his comments was a reference to Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’s suspension for having a bounty program when he held the same job with the Saints. Williams met the media on Friday and was asked about what Zimmer had to say.

“We’re on to Chicago right now and I’m not worried about that,” Williams said, via ESPN.com. “The things that go on in our game … no matter where I’m at, we’re going to play faster, smarter, tougher, for longer than any opponent. That’s all I’m going to say.”

Joyner was fined $23,152 by the league this week for making contact with Bridgewater’s head while he was sliding to the ground, but Williams said he “just trying to tackle [Bridgewater] and called Joyner “exactly what I want to coach.” Williams went on to say that looking at things in slow motion makes it easier to say that a “bam-bam” play looks dirty.

That may be the case and Joyner’s intent may not have been to hurt Bridgewater, but there was little doubt in real time that it was a penalty of the type that always draws a fine in the days after a game.

61 responses to “Gregg Williams on Mike Zimmer’s comments: I’m not worried about that

1. Greg Williams should be kicked out of the NFL.

Give the Minnesota Vikings our rightfully deserved Super Bowl Ring from 2009.

We have the best team in the NFL anyways, so we’ll win one this year.

Poetic Justice will happen.

The Decade of Dominance Continues….

17-2. World Champions.

You Better like how that sounds:

Let the Purple and Gold Confetti fall.

2. “The things that go on in our game … no matter where I’m at, we’re going to play faster, smarter, tougher, for longer than any opponent. That’s all I’m going to say.”

…not against the Vikings.

3. Top 10 Teams in the NFL:

1. Minnesota Vikings.
    2. New England Patriots.
    3. Cincinnati Bengals.
    4. Denver Broncos.
    5. Arizona Cardinals.
    6. Pittsburgh Steelers.
    7. Buffalo Bills.
    8. New York Jets.
    9. Oakland Raiders.
    10. Atlanta Falcons.

4. That’s enough for the NFL to discipline Gregg Williams. His player was found to be in violation of the rules to such a degree that he was levied a large fine.

Gregg’s response is that is “exactly what I want to coach.”

He is taunting the NFL, saying he teaches his team to violate the rules, and wasn’t intimidate by his previous 1 year ban.

NFL, figure it out.

5. If this was any other DC I’d say its an isolated incident, but with Gregg Williams long history of coaching dirty hits to the extent of finanically rewarding them for inflicting injury, it is 100% valid to question basically anything that his defense does.

Bottom line is the NFL doesn’t need coaches like Gregg Williams adding those factors to the game, he should still be banned for life.

6. “The things that go on in our game…”

Hmmmm…it’s really too bad Williams didn’t “go there,” and didn’t bother to finish that thought.

He almost said “everyone does it, so why shouldn’t I?”

In other words, he almost revealed himself as someone who thinks as little of the rest of the league as he does of himself.

7. Smart man. Well, dirty too but besides that. Nobody in the NFL will say anything bad about Zimmer because they know the NFL Fan base loves Him and don’t want to put up with the backlash from fans

8. Yeah because Mike Zimmer was such a saint in his days as a DC. Top 10 in Personal fouls 8 times and top 10 in roughing the passer 7 times. The Vikes won the game and all I see the their fans want to talk about is to whine about a late hit.

9. Right on the next possession, a Vikings player slammed Nick Foles into the ground. I really hope Zimmer told his defense to do that in retaliation, because I would have. Dirty Rams.

10. Its a sorry mentality that the only way for you to coach your player is to hurt the opponent. Greg Williams is a D-Bag.
    Every football fan wants their team to be physical and dominate the opponent. But, fans who get it don’t want to see anyone get hurt.

11. Oh my, please stop the whining.
    My ears are beginning to bleed.
    It’s football. Even your favorite child abusing running back has said as much.

Solution: slide earlier.
    QBs like Wilson, Kaepernick, Newton and yes, even Aaron Rodgers have pushed the envelope for a while now. Deal with it.
    You got your 15 yards. The offending player was fined. Please just shut up about it now.

12. “…we’re going to play faster, smarter, tougher, for longer than any opponent. ”

////////////////////////////////////////////

Lesson learned: Slide sooner, take a sack, stay upright, hit first, or get knocked out.

13. Sorry to say, but, the hit to the knee was more of a direct intent to injure. Pathetic display of sportsmanship. Williams should indeed be banned for Life. It is an utter shame that he is allowed to coach. No remorse whatsoever.

14. wafflestomp says:
    Nov 13, 2015 6:50 PM

Oh my, please stop the whining.
    My ears are beginning to bleed.
    It’s football. Even your favorite child abusing running back has said as much.

Solution: slide earlier.
    _______

Why don’t you tell that to your buddy Stellar? He’s still whining about some kind of touching the punter penalty that wasn’t called two weeks ago in a game that didn’t involve his team.

15. Fisher should be out of football. How this scumbag is the head of the competition committee is beyond me ? His team has knocked out 3 QBs just this year alone.

16. darkneptune73 says:

And I quote

“…we’re going to play faster, smarter, tougher, for longer than any opponent. ”

He’s literally admitting to hitting cheap shots.
    ………………………………………………………………………….

I laughed at this response too. It’s not what I expected him to say. That’s for sure.

17. but Williams said he “just trying to tackle [Bridgewater] and called Joyner “exactly what I want to coach.”

I wouldn’t expect another answer from that bounty coach. Nothing like admitting it.

18. wafflestomp says:
    Nov 13, 2015 6:50 PM

Oh my, please stop the whining.
    My ears are beginning to bleed.
    It’s football. Even your favorite child abusing running back has said as much.

Solution: slide earlier.
    ————————–
    You do realize the media is the one bringing it up again?

Solution: If you don’t want to read about people “whining” simply don’t read an article with a title that will be sure to discuss the incident. Bridgewater slid well in advance of anyone hitting him and Joyner went out of his way to slide after Bridgewater and throwing his elbow into his head. It’s pretty apparent.

19. Do you honestly think Williams still coaches to knock players out?
    Are you really this ignorant?

After his last suspension, where he was close to being banned from the NFL, he would be a complete idiot to allow himself to be put in that position again, especially with free agency what it is today.

All it would take is to have one former disgruntled player to go to the league office and complain about Williams coaching to injure again and we’d have another league wide investigation.
    And Williams would be collecting a permanent unemployment check.

Wouldn’t it be just a little more likely that we have two players who made poor decisions during a Bang Bang play?
    I realize this is probably falling on deaf ears, so by all means, continue your little pity party. Keep enjoying your group cry.

20. I can’t believe people are so upset about this. The defender had committed to the tackle when Bridgewater slid. Do you people realize how fast this game is?

21. It was a bam bam play, I don’t see any evidence of dirty play it’s a football move, things happen. Williams indeed has a dirty history but I wouldn’t be so quick to blame him for every football move that injures a player.

22. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Nov 13, 2015 5:31 PM

Zimmer’s son Adam was on the Saints staff with Williams. Zimmer knows exactly what Williams is all about.
    ===================================
    Yes, but now he needs to work for Daddy so he can keep an eye on Adam’s drinking and give him rides back from work to avoid another DUI.

23. I take it to mean he has his next new look (read: disguise) ready for when they catch him and can him again.

24. I love how Bellichik’s “On to…” has become part of the NFL coach-speak. I’ve noticed a lot of coaches go with what Williams said: on to Chicago…

Oh yeah, Williams is terrible.

25. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Nov 13, 2015 5:31 PM

————————————
    Very interesting. I was unaware of that. Yeah, I would say that’s a pretty good indicator that Zimmer knows about Williams very well so his words should be taken wisely by the NFL.

Why not start another investigation? That’s 3 QBs in 9 games they’ve knocked out of the game. Coincidence? Not looking like it.

What is ridiculous is people buying into Joyner’s story of it being a “bam bam” play. Let me ask everyone on this site. Have any of you been taught to tackle someone by sliding and throwing an elbow? I know I wasn’t. Fact is if you have to go to the ground to make a tackle other than DIVING after someone, you’re doing something wrong. Diving is much different than sliding. Diving is with outstretched arms hoping to grab a leg or foot. Sliding is no way to make a tackle. EVER!

26. “we’re going to play faster, smarter, tougher, for longer than any opponent”, unless we can’t get to the QB, then we will do whatever is necessary to take their QB out of the game.

27. As long as Greg Williams is around, you might as well throw the rule book out the window! If under his watch another player is injured for breaking the rules then he should be suspended for the rest of the year.

28. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Nov 13, 2015 5:31 PM

—————————————

Well, what does he have to say about him?

29. packer fans- Frank B included are absurd. He was well into his slide it was bang bang play he was almost on his back when he was hit. And if Rodgers was hit like this they would be talking about it still in 2021.

30. hurricane6670 says:
    Nov 13, 2015 7:18 PM

))))))))))))))))))))
    I agree but that play was never focused on. Hayes got nothing for doing that.

31. williams should have warned minn to hope they don’t meet in the playoffs. would zimmer want that on the bulletin board!! all his players worried about getting whacked lol GO RAMS!!

32. For those of you who are inclined to defend Gregg Williams’ coaching, I encourage you to go back and look at the Saints/Vikings playoff game in 2009, the year of Bountygate. Williams was the defensive coordinator for the Saints. His defense nearly crippled Brett Favre, the Viking QB, and they got away with late hits and cheap shots for the entire game. (To this day I’m convinced that the refs were on the take. Anyone with eyes could see that the Saints were playing dirty.) Williams has a history of coaching his players to take cheap shots and play dirty. He deserves to be banned from the league.

33. Smart move for Williams to keep his mouth shut. Last time he spoke about his aggressive schemes (“remember me shots” against Peyton Manning in 2010), he opened himself up for scorn and for the NFL to start looking at the Saints. I still have nothing but contempt for Williams and hope the Rams lose out the rest of the season.