Ben Roethlisberger frustrated with way Tomlin described situation

AP

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told reporters earlier that he was cleared to practice today.

But he threw in enough comments along the way that make it seem as if he’s more than a little frustrated with the Steelers’ characterization of his situation.

He initially went on the radio Tuesday to say he didn’t have a concussion, but then coach Mike Tomlin circled back and said he did. That didn’t seem to sit well with Roethlisberger, after he self-reported symptoms and took himself out of last week’s game.

“I took the test this morning,” Roethlisberger said, via Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I was told I can practice. That’s all I know. I don’t know the results of the test, but I was told I can practice. Until coach Tomlin announces something different I’m preparing to practice.”

Zing.

Roethlisberger thought he passed his Tuesday test, but hadn’t yet, leading to his initial proclamation he was OK.

“I said I didn’t know the results then, but I felt good because when I left the training room the trainers told me this looks good,” Roethlisberger said. “Don’t see why this would be an issue. That’s why I said I didn’t have a concussion and would be ready to go. He did say he’d have to check with a third party. Obviously, whether that’s coach Tomlin or another doctor, they said you’re not clear. Whether they’re covering rear ends or what’s going on. . . . I said OK I’ll take it [this] morning. I got the same thing from the trainers. They said, ’Ben it’s fine.’ You’re ready to practice. Until I hear otherwise I’m ready to practice.”

Roethlisberger again said he didn’t experience typical concussion symptoms, other than problems with his peripheral vision that went away shortly after the game ended. That’s why he said he was “confused” when Tomlin said he had one.

“They need to get together and tell their players what’s going on because I was just relaying what the doctors told me,” he said.

It’s easier for Roethlisberger to take himself out of a game than other players because of his financial and positional security. But standing up to his coach and the organization is clearly something only a guy with a big contract like Roethlisberger can pull off.

60 responses to “Ben Roethlisberger frustrated with way Tomlin described situation

1. Is Ben Concussed?

Is Glenn Dead?

Is Jon Snow Alive?

Tune in next week…same Bat-Time! same Bat-Channel!!

2. Boy this guy sure is dumb. Im playing, im not playing. Ben sounds like to me you need to save what little brain cells you have left for life after football. It takes smarts to trick women into hanging out with you in a public restroom

3. Tomlin, like his predecessor, is vastly over rated. Ben does the right thing and self reports and this clown throws him under the bus publicly. I don’t know why these guys even look at the media when they enter a press room.

4. confusion and frustration can be signs of brain injury to the frontal lobe – I’m guessing if Ben has a bad game Sunday we’ll find out he has that on Monday.

5. The amount of Tomlin is bad here makes me think there is a hint of racism here, lol how in the hell is one of the best teams in the NFL have a bad head coach, that offense can match with any one in the NFL, ok he inherited Roethlisberger but how about they drafting of Bell, Wheaton, Antonio and Martavis. People are so uneducated and stupid is just sad.

6. So is Roethlisberger saying that Tomlin lied? You mean the way Roethlisberger did when he was on the stand?

7. I’m not trying to be thick here, but why is it a huge problem if the coach says a player has a concussion? I can see why it would be bad for the coach to throw a player under the bus and say that he does *not* have one after the player took himself out of the game, but in this case it seems like Tomlin is just saying that Ben took himself out for a legit reason.

8. If you’re in the protocol, you have a concussion.

Who did you think the third party was Ben?

9. Nobody ever accused Ben of being the brightest hammer on the tool belt… ‘Bob down at the Hobby Lobby told me I was good to go… why would I wait for the coach/team to weigh in?’

10. I guess you will understand this nonsense when you google “your team cheats”
    Only one NFL team has cheated more than the Steelers

Have the Steelers won a playoff game since Tebow destroyed them in the playoffs years ago?

11. Tomlin haters are clueless. I dare them to name 5 current HCs who are better based on their respective bodies of work. I’m sure the hatred is partially attributed to the color of his skin because it can’t be based on his resume!

12. He needs to stop acting like he’s the difference on that team. All he does is throw deep which make his stats look better then he is. His talent alone doesn’t carry that team so he needs to make sure he’s good to go before he takes another smack to the head. Besides knowing him he’ll come in trying to be a hero and throw a INT like he did in the playoffs last year after he thought he was fine.

13. Awhile back I took a fall and went in for X-rays on my arm. Technician told me everything was fine…an hour later, the radiologist had a slightly different opinion…he said my wrist was fractured…leaving the hospital wearing a cast on my arm led me to believe the technician’s diagnoses was wrong…

Ben should not comment on these tests until after the Doctors release their official findings. Might save himself and Tomlin some trouble.

14. More infighting within an organization that’s about to implode any day now. Now that they are out of the playoff run, it’s back to tearing each other apart. Can wait to see how many 80 yard TDs the Colts score Sunday night!

15. drakescounsellor says:
    Dec 2, 2015 12:03 PM

9 18
    —————————————————————

Well, lets see. Mike pettine and Rex Ryan get more shade thrown at them than anyone on earth (deservingly so). So is there anti-white racism on here?

Why the hell is it that anytime someone of color is criticized it HAS to be a racial thing. Is it possible that maybe he’s just not good?

BTW: Kevin Colbert, the GENERAL MANAGER of the Steelers, and the Pitt scouting dept probably deserves the credit for most of those draft picks, seeing how that IS his job and all….

16. senatorblutarsky says:
    Dec 2, 2015 12:05 PM

What stand? Was never even charged with anything.

17. TebowedOutOfThePostSeasonAndNeverToReturn says:
    Dec 2, 2015 12:30 PM

Steelers are far from out of the playoff run. Even those beloved Ravens are still in the playoff run.

18. Tomlin is one of the worst game managers especially under 2 minutes left in any half.

He was handed a veteran team that was well trained and very disciplined. Those vets responded to his rah rah style of coaching.

Now the Steelers have a very young team which has been extremely undisciplined. The last 3-4 season have displayed terrible tackling, players out of position, too many turnovers, too many penalties, and way to many personal fouls.

Look at the Patriots game to start the season.

I am a lifelong Steelers fan and always will be.

19. Tomlin’s reg season head coaching record = 88-48. Combined with playoffs, his record is 93-52. This just proves that those saying he’s a bad coach are either racist, dumb, or most likely both!

20. You would think that after all the times he’s put his foot in his mouth in the past, Ben would learn to just shut up about his injuries. Get that man to Belichick’s class on how to handle the media.

21. Why the Tomlin hate?
    The NFL best coaches
    1. Belichick 4-2 SB 67%winning
    2. Coughlin 2-0 SB 53%
    3. Tomlin 1-1 SB 63% (Bill Cowher SB 1-1 62%)
    4. Carrol 1-1 SB 57%
    5. McCarthy 1-0 SB 65%
    6. Harbaugh 1-0 SB 61%
    7. Payton 1-0 SB 60%
    8. Fox 0-2 SB 56%
    9. Reid 0-1 SB 57%
    10. Caldwell SB 0-1 54% (I’m shocked about that too)
    11. The legendary Jeff Fischer SB 0-1 52%
    You can make an argument that Tomlin is the 2nd best coach ahead of Coughlin or at worse 5th behind Pete Carol but anything else you either don’t understand football or have an agenda.

22. Hmmm, dysfunctional is what it sounds like. Happens after an emotional loss.
    Handle it guys.Handle it!
    ———–

Dysfunctional….this coming from a Bengals fan, lmao. You know the Bungle is coming, right? There’s no doubt about it. It’s what you do.

23. Why is a white guy, or any one, a racist if they think a man of color isn’t good at his job based on their understanding of the facts at hand? Tomlin is a terrible game manager who has shown no ability to lead his team as his veterans have retired. That is a simple and undeniable fact and it has nothing to do with his skin color.

24. Romophobic, the only problem with your argument is your not basing it on “the facts at hand”. So that kind of blows up your ignorant mini rant.

25. Tomlin used to be one of my favorite coaches…until.

He lied about not impeding the runner against Baltimore TD return.

He tried to deflect criticism, when they were beaten badly by the Patriots on opening night, on a mysterious headphone malfunction. Like the Patriots were to blame.

26. At the risk of being labeled a racist, great or even very good coaches don’t lose to the likes of Tampa Bay, NY Jets, Cleveland and New Orleans in the same season.
    Former Raiders coach Dennis Allen won only 9 games. He was 3-0 against Tomlin.
    Tomlin is 33-27 over the past 60 games.
    The Standard is The Standard.

27. Mike P. and Rex deserve the criticism especially Rex they haven’t won a Superbowl plus their winning percentage is garbage. Tomilison has a Superbowl and has I believe the 3rd highest winning percentage, he is just looking out for Ben. We all saw the Rams quarterback go back in after he had a concussion now he is out for a couple of weeks better safe than sorry. Besides a don’t know any team or coach that wins the Super Bowl every other year. Well the Bills coach was close Mary Levy 4 straight Super Bowls. Some people on here forgetting the Steelers still have a chance to make the playoffs always been winners at least a winning record.

28. They should do the test Dr. Granny Clampett used to do on Jethro, hold a lit candle on one side of his head and blow in his ear, if the candle stays lit all is well, if the candle goes out—surgery!

29. Moral to this story, wait until its official that you do not have a medical diagnosis such as a concussion before you announce the results on public radio.

I don’t see where the confusion is here. The head coaches job is to take every step to assure player safety and be cautious with putting players on the field. Tomlin did say yesterday in press that we need to here from the medical experts before anything else and that means following protocol.

If Tomlin did not do or say anything, he would have been made to look incompetent so, either way its an issue. Ben self reported, took himself out of the game, understands the serious of the concussion and brain injury of athletes, was told that the trainer(clinician needed to check with a 3rd party before clearance).

Again, where is the confusion!

This is coming from a faithful Steelers for life fan.

30. Have the Steelers won a playoff game since Dr Rydze their team doctor went to jail for selling Steroids?

Hey Kremis….do your homework. The Steelers won the Super Bowl the year after the Dr left the team. So yes moron they have won ….sorta ruins your usual rant…..sorry to crush your fantasy.

31. Wow he is mad because his coach was protecting him, what a moron.

If Tomlin doesn’t do anything, then the NFLPA and the media attack him and the NFL for not caring about the players, and if he does the player is pissed.

Wow – just wow, I hope the concussion judge is watching this.

32. massappeal12345 says:
    Dec 2, 2015 1:32 PM
    Tomlin used to be one of my favorite coaches…until.

He lied about not impeding the runner against Baltimore TD return.

He never lied about impeding the runner. He admitted that he made a mistake and took his fine.

He never deflected anything to blame a loss on the headset issue. He was asked about the issue and answered about it. If you would have listened to the whole interview you would have heard him state all of the reasons why they lost.

33. Lol people are making to much of this, if Ben’s ready he’ll play…..if not he’ll sit.

34. I don’t care about records. These are the best coaches in the NFL:

1. Bill Belichick
    2. John Fox
    3. Bruce Arians
    4. Pete Carroll
    5. “Riverboat” Ron Rivera
    6. Andy Reid
    7. John Harbaugh

Guys like Todd Bowles are too early to judge.

After that you have guys with various strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of different aspects to being a head coach, and in game decision-making isn’t necessarily near the top of the list of importance, but Tomlin certainly is not a good in game coach.

I’m not sure what he is exactly good at though. I’ve been watching the Steelers for years and they don’t seem like a well-coached team in the last few years. Obviously his players like him. They seem to have fun playing. Generally I think they do what they want to do and aren’t terribly disciplined and all of it just doesn’t seem to translate into motivated playing. AT ALL. Especially in big games.

So what is he good at as a coach? He’s not a game-planner on either offense or defense and his cordinators don’t seem to be above average in terms of making adjustments. I just don’t understand this guy as a coach. But he’s won a super bowl and his players like him, and the Rooney’s don’t seem to fire coaches, so I guess we’re stuck with him.

35. RegisHawk says:
    Dec 2, 2015 11:53 AM
    Is Ben Concussed?

Is Glenn Dead?

Is Jon Snow Alive?

Tune in next week…same Bat-Time! same Bat-Channel!!

——————–

Maybe.

No (should be yes).

N…ye…maybe (he’ll come back as a White Walker to eat Glenn)

36. Have the Steelers won a playoff game since Dr Rydze their team doctor went to jail for selling Steroids?

———————————

“The year after”…so the players had enough personal inventory to get them through the year after their supplier got busted. The athletes have money, do you really think they were going to their dealer, the “Doctor” every day for their fix?…..

Sorry to crush your fantasy…..

37. Everyone trying to pick a bone with Tomlin when it is Ben who declared himself he wasn’t concussed! The league says he is, how is that Tomlin fault! Ben took himself out of the game, how is that Tomlins fault. Sometimes you can stay in one place to long and maybe that is the case with Tomlin, however, that doesn’t make his not a good coach. He still is, in my opinion, one of the top 6-8 coaches in the NFL! If the Steelers are tired of him, I am sure some other team will be happy to take him off your hand and then you can see who you can find that would be better. The pickings are slim, very slim1!

38. My only thing about Ben is, u “self” reported an issue that u had blurred vision after a hit. You then said u’ll play with any injury except a brain injury. So why are u made when the team puts u into the concussion protocol? After u reported the issue, the team absolutely has to do that now.

39. Before anyone fusses anymore about coach/QB tension… can we all please write the league to ask for a new, well defined rule about what a “CATCH” is in the NFL? 2 feet down, a butt-cheek, something besides a move that makes it look like you’re transitioning to a runner or holding the ball completely through the catch blah blah blah???

40. “I’ll play with any injury except a brain injury”. Says the guy who didn’t wear a helmet when he crashed his motorcycle. Just shat up and throw touchdowns.

41. troy43mvp says:
    Dec 4, 2015 2:54 PM
    ——————————————————-

He crashed his bike at 23.
    He’s worried about this brain & long term affects at 33.
    It’s called maturity.
    Sooner or later we all grow up & realize we aren’t as indestructible as we thought we were as kids.
    Attitudes like yours is why players do not tell coaches or trainers on the sidelines.