Charles Woodson announces his retirement at end of season

AP

Charles Woodson has decided to call it a career.

Woodson, the 39-year-old Raiders defensive back who has had a surprisingly good season this year as the NFL’s oldest defensive player, said he will retire after the season. Woodson decided to announce it today so that Oakland fans would know that the Thursday night game against the Chargers will be his last home game in the place where he started his career and is now ending his career.

“It will be emotional. I’ve been emotional all day, so it will be that way Thursday for Raider Nation,” Woodson said. “It was really fun coming back here and playing, so it will be a pretty emotional day.”

Woodson said his body could get through another NFL season, but he just thinks it’s time to move on with other things in his life.

“Honestly, I think physically I could do it — my body has responded. But mentally, it’s not there. It’s not gonna happen,” Woodson said.

And so there are only two more games remaining in a Hall of Fame career.

92 responses to “Charles Woodson announces his retirement at end of season

1. As a Packer fan i wish to thank Charles Woodson for all he did for Green Bay, by providing leadership and many game changing plays while helping the Packers win a Superbowl in 2010.Thanks again and good luck in your retirement.

2. I have no care for the Raiders whatsoever. That said, this man is one of the most honorable, personable, hard-working, inspiring…. must I go on?

1st ballot HOFer.

3. While I am PATS fan, it is going to be very sad to watch one of my all time favorite players leave the game when he still has the talent left. I might shed a tear christmas eve but I will throw on my Michigan Woodson jersey and raise a glass to one of the best to play this game. Just like you said you will visit the president. You will go visit Canton in 5 years time

4. One of the best to do it regardless of position. Ted should be ashamed he wouldn’t bring him back to end his career where he had his best days. Chuck is on record saying he would have taken a pay cut and he’s still a better player (maybe not this year) than what the Packers have trotted out at DB since he left.

5. The GOAT

My favorite player of all time. Glad he’s walking away while he still can. Great season too. He will have a great broadcasting or coaching career not to mention his winery.

6. One of the classiest men to ever play pro football. The Packers likely would not have won Super Bowl 45 without him on the roster.

Charles, you are one of the greatest to ever play your position. The NFL will not be the same without you on the field next year. Thank you for all you’ve done, and I hope you enjoy your retirement, but don’t forget to put a little time aside in about five years, as Canton will likely expect you to swing by for a little ceremony in your honor.

7. Charles, thanks for the memories. I wasn’t happy when you left the Raiders for the Pack, but glad you decided to come back home and still play better than the youngsters. As much as I’d love to see you play next year, I think you made the right decision to leave while still healthy. Best of luck to you.

8. Awesome career by a great player. As a Vikings fan, I wish you the best in retirement, and look forward to watching your HOF entrance in a few years time.

Thanks for taking the high road and not retiring with the Packers. You were always known as a Raider, and as a Raider you will enter the Hall. Congrats on a great career C-Wood

9. tritz32 says:
    Dec 21, 2015 8:39 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hated seeing Woodson go too but when I look around and see what has happened to teams that have overpaid for aging vets I’m glad that TT adheres to the philosophy so strictly.

The one unpleasant truth about Draft & Develop is that it’s better to let a guy go a year too early than a year too late. In Woodson’s case it ended up being several years too early but nobody could have seen that coming.

10. People always give QB’s the “Cerebral” label, although, I believe Charles Woodson wears it best. Ball-hawk, hard-nosed in the run game, leader, game changer, the list goes on. There is a reason he won the Heisman. HOF is in your future sir.

11. Gotta be in the conversation as GOAT at DB. CWood personifies the greatness of the Raiders… and the league. It’s a perfect time for him to go… on top, but starting to lose a step. Thanks for all the memories, Mr. Woodson.

12. I was wearing my #24 on Sunday ….And now after this year I’ll put it in a frame and hang it on the wall next to #34 and #75,……It’s been a great ride C.W. ….I wish you nothing but the best!!!…and at least you got a ring, not a silver and black ring, but a ring no less……RAIDER NATION FOREVER!!!!!

13. From a Viking fan….
    Much respect for that dude! HOFer….glad he’s retiring. Was getting closer to Paul Krause’s record!

14. If you happen to read these comments at all: Thank you. It’s very inspirational watching you play. Hope the kids learned something.

15. The business side of things let him go from the Packers too soon. It happens. He was one of the best. I’m really glad he got a ring while he was here…..I suspect he is too.

16. Nothing but respect for Woodson… 1st round selection, but does he go in as a Raider or a Packer?? More years in Silver in Black, more success in Green and Gold. hmmm… he’s got a decision to make.

17. Great player. Being a mich fan he was my fav. Then he went to Oakland and so did I in the Navy. Then moved to Midwest, wife big pack fan and he came to the PA kers. Don’t know if I followed him or he me. A real hall of famer for sure.

18. One of the greatest Raiders ever. This hurts, I will miss you Charles. Thank you for coming home to finish your career.

HonkeyT

Raiders4Life

19. If there was a way to get into the HOF while still playing, he would be there already. Honestly why even make him wait? He’s that deserving.

20. I can’t imagine the dedication it would take to be so good for so long after making the kind of money he’s made. Great locker room guy, too. First ballot HOFer. And I’m a Steelers fan.

21. Thanks for everything, CW.
    Come back as a coach next year. We can use your brains. ..
    You will always be one of the Raider greats…

22. kvnhlstd says:
    Dec 21, 2015 9:15 PM
    ——————————–

Apparently, it’s a little known fact that players don’t get inducted into the NFL HoF for a particular team, merely as a player. The plaque has a bio that indicates the teams they’ve played for, but the bust has no team jersey or cap associated with it like MLB does.

23. Great to see C-Wood going out on such a high note.
    Quiet leader. Consummate pro.

Looking forward to seeing his name unveiled in historic Lambeau Field after his slam dunk induction.

Heart and soul of Green Bay’s 2010 Championship run.

“One!”

24. kvnhlstd says:
    Dec 21, 2015 9:15 PM
    —————————————————————
    The Pro Football Hall of Fame does not designate any primary team affiliation for inductees. Their sculpted bust does not have any logo’s on it but there is a plaque that identifies the inductees entire NFL chronology.
    No decisions to be made. As a Packer fan it would be putting CW in a tough spot if he had to make a choice. I consider him a Packer as much as a Raider. As fans, both of us enjoyed having such a great player and a decent human being. Congrats CW. Time to make more wine.

25. For me, Charles Woodson retirement signals an end of an era in the NFL for me. I could say, this was my last “favorite player” left in the league. From being that force in college that I loved to watch, to him being drafted by the Raiders, even when he went to Green Bay, and being back home, Charles was a player I’ve always rooted for. He embodied everything I love about football. Play hard every game. Play every game like your last. The ability to change positions and excel at that. The leadership abilities. What pains me is that he won’t go out a winner. But he already accomplished everything he needed. And there probably won’t be a football player with an overall career like him. Sad to see him go, but every dog has his day. RAIDER 4 LIFE

26. It’s awesome to see fans of other teams give him his due here.
    Good job. That’s the way it’s supposed to be.

27. My Favorite College player ever. One of the best defensive players to play the game in his era. He could cover, tackle, lead his team, and made great plays. Most of all, he was a great person off the field. Will miss seeing him play on Sunday’s.

28. CW was always a class act. A legendary player who helped a legendary team win their 13th world championship in 2010.

All the best to Charles in his post-NFL life.

29. Bummer. I thought he might break Blanda’s record.

You’ll always be one of the most respected corners to ever play in the NFL Charles. You’ll never be forgotten by Packers fans for your part in creating some pretty magical seasons. Happy trails dude.

30. Great player and truly underrated for much of his career. I remember when he left Oakland to go to Green Bay, he sat on the market forever because people seemed to forget how complete of a corner he was during those last 2 injury shortened years in Oakland. Then, he made the transition to safety probably only second to the great Rod Woodson that I’ve seen. Also, the dude grew up a ton from his young brash days out of Michigan to now, so take a bow.

31. Charles Woodson confirmed the tried and true cliche “Once a raider, always a raider ” when he returned to play for the Raiders again. There is no doubt he personifies what a ” Raider” truly is. There is no doubt a Gold jacket will lok good on him while he speaks at his intrroduction into Canton

32. Thank you to Charles!!! He has been the best and it has been a pleasure to follow him since he was Mr. Ohio in H.S.

The final play of his career in Ohio was an INT. Is it too much to ask for a walk-off INT in each of the next two games?

33. Charles Woodson is a class act. He was a blast to watch play for the packers for 7 seasons and he was fun to watch as a gritty veteran for the raiders at the end. Possibly the most complete defensive back of all time and the last defensive player to win the heisman trophy.

34. Of course he could play another season. What a stud. Still in awe after all of these years.

Looking forward to seeing him in a broadcast studio/booth.

Im positive he will be great there too.

Good luck in your next career Mr. Woodson!

35. Thank you C Wood for your great career and making the Raider Nation proud. Too bad we couldn’t get that 4th SB Trophy with you, but you have laid the foundation as to what it takes for the young guys to grab #4 real soon. We are that close! Enjoy life after football.

RAIDER NATION!!!

36. As a Packer fan he was great to watch and he provided a lot of leadership during our Super Bowl year. I hope he goes into the HOF as a Packer but I will have no ill will if he chooses the Raiders and I would totally understand.

37. If my son shows a passion for playing this sport, Charles Woodson highlights be in constant rotation as a impeccable example of how to play the position. It’s been a pleasure “2” “4” .

38. Rod and Charles Woodson the best all around DBs in NFL history (sorry Deon, but the only thing you tackled was air). All time great return men as well. What a great, storied career. As much as he contributed to the Pack’s SB win, he’s a Raider!

39. As a raider fan for life, the best part is the fact he was able to get a ring. Matter not, which team he played for at the time, you truly deserved it. Thankful and honored that you consider Oakland your home.

40. It’s embarrassing he was relegated to going back to the fade to finish out.

He deserved to either stay with the winner he was on, or find another team to win with.

41. Soon to be a member of the Packer Hall of Fame as well as Canton. For a while he seemed to cause every fumble, catch every tipped ball. Only really seen him in a Packers jersey, he must have been something in his prime with the Raiders.

42. sasattack says:
    Dec 21, 2015 11:18 PM
    _________________________________________

Please — it’s fine to praise these guys, but you must be very young. Because there were many great DB’s who played long before these guys who were every bit as good or even better.

43. I guess it really doesn’t matter now so I will just say it this once and only once……Yes, Charles I did fumble. Good hit and good bye.

Tom

44. I feel like the Raiders are so close that I hate to see him retire without them getting a winning record. That said, he has been a great player over an improbable length of time. He never played for my favorite team, but any real football fan has to appreciate him.

45. Come home to Michigan, Charles, and help Harbaugh build a National Championship team. Loved you at Michigan, loved you in the NFL, and would love you back at Michigan again, coaching with Harbaugh, Mattison, Wheatley and the best coaching staff in the country! GO BLUE!!!

46. kvnhlstd says: Dec 21, 2015 9:15 PM

…………………………………………………………………..

CLASS ACT….. as a packer fan…. I would love to see him go in as a packer….. but as a football fan, he needs to go in as a raider….. started and ended his career there….. either way, the packer hall of fame will find a spot for him… thank you Charles …. played the game on his terms and with class

47. I consider myself fortunate to have watched 2 HOFers wear the #24 for the Oakland Raiders – Willie Brown and Charles Woodson.

I’d love to see C-Wood stay with the Raiders org. in retirement, perhaps joining the coaching staff to help the DBs.

48. As a Packer fan…thank you Chuck Wood for being a great player and even a better person. And thank you RaiderNation for letting us borrow him for a few years! All the best to him, first ballot HOF!

49. Before the season, my wife and I decided that we would attend the Christmas Eve game (we go to one game a year in Oakland)… Glad to say I will be there, in the Black Hole, to bid farewell to one of the greatest players in the history of the game. Charles simply did it right.

First ballot HOF. Class of 2020.

50. When the fire is out, it’s time to go.

This is how a consumate Pro does it.

You don’t stick around to pad your stats. Are you listening Peyton?

51. artworkworld says: Dec 22, 2015 2:45 AM

*******************************************

He can’t play forever and forever is what it might take.

52. Woodson won’t be going into the Hall as a member of either the Packers or the Raiders – because the NFL doesn’t do that.

Great player. Great guy. Glad he reached the pinnacle of NFL success, and got his ring and Defensive MVP.

53. I hate to see him go, this is a huge loss for the Raiders secondary. He has been by far the best player in their secondary since he came back to Oakland.

Glad he came back though it was great watching him in silver and black again, and im really glad he got a Ring during his career.

54. slick50ks says:
    Dec 22, 2015 12:45 AM

It’s embarrassing he was relegated to going back to the fade to finish out.

———————-
    It wasn’t embarrassing for him. However, it’s been 45 years since the Chiefs won anything. Even Charles isn’t that old.

55. CWood is an astonishingly great DB. With his ridiculous amount of skill, he played well beyond the age that most DBs could ever dream of. A first ballot Hall of Famer to be sure.

56. That’s right C dubb!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Career. I remember when my Raiders drafted you. Came in like a champ and balled from the start!!!!!!

Glad you brought it full circle and get that love you deserve in Oakland. I know you played for Green Bay and elevated your career, but I think you know deep down, your heart lays with the Raiders!!!!!

Great Career!!!!!!!!!!!!!