After Ryan Mallett’s adventures with the snooze button led him to miss a Texans team flight in October, there were reports of disagreement between Texans coach Bill O’Brien and General Manager Rick Smith about how to handle moving on without Mallett.
All parties involved, including team owner Bob McNair, denied any rift and said that the power-sharing arrangement between O’Brien and Smith was not causing problems inside the organization. That means both men will be back in Houston for the 2016 season and they’ll share in the responsibility to fix the biggest issue with the team.
That would be the lack of a franchise quarterback, of course, and McNair said the team will be doing whatever they can to bring that player into the building.
“I don’t think there’s any question,” McNair said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I’ve been saying that. The question is what’s available, and what’s the price? How many draft picks might you have to give up? You can’t undermine the rest of your team while you’re trying to get a quarterback. This isn’t a department store where they have them on the shelf, and you just pick one up. It’s a question of who’s available. We’re working on that. We think there are some good prospects out there.”
The Texans landed the 22nd spot in the first round and moving up to the top of the draft would likely carry the kind of undermining cost that McNair talked about on Tuesday. One name that’s sure to come up in relation to the Texans’ quarterback search is Christian Hackenberg, who was recruited to Penn State by O’Brien and declared for the draft earlier this month.