Johnny Manziel could be getting the wake up call he needs.
At a time when many believe Manziel wants out of Cleveland so he can play for the Cowboys, WFAA in Dallas reports that the Cowboys don’t want him. Per the report, “a high-ranking Cowboys source says that Dallas is out on Manziel after the latest reports involving the quarterback and domestic violence allegations.” WFAA notes that the same high-ranking official previously expressed doubt that Manziel would be pursued.
The Browns will waive Manziel on March 9, and the Cowboys have the No. 4 spot on the pecking order for making waiver claims. The question now becomes whether a team below Dallas would squat on Manziel’s rookie contract. If he’s unclaimed, the question then becomes whether anyone will sign him as a free agent.
Earlier this week, Ed Werder of ESPN reported that Manziel has told people the Cowboys, Chiefs, and Rams are interested. But that was before the specific allegations of domestic violence arose, a dynamic that in the aftermath of the Ray Rice debacle is enough to make teams sour on any non-superstar.
Complicating matters for the Cowboys is the decision a year ago to take a flier on defensive end Greg Hardy in the aftermath of his own domestic violence issues. So even though owner Jerry Jones has made his feelings for Manziel previously known repeatedly, circumstances have changed enough to make the Cowboys not inclined to provide the 2012 Heisman winner with his next NFL home.