Report: Facebook pulls out of talks to stream NFL games

AP

The NFL wants to find an online partner to stream Thursday night and Sunday morning games this season, but that partner will not be Facebook.

According to Bloomberg, Facebook has withdrawn from the bidding to stream Thursday night games. The NFL and Facebook reportedly didn’t see eye-to-eye on advertising, with Facebook wanting to run ad-free video and the NFL wanting revenue from ads.

The league has already agreed to deals with CBS and NBC to air Thursday night games in conjunction with NFL Network, but the league would also like to have an online streaming partner. The league is also looking to stream Sunday morning games from London.

Amazon and Verizon are reportedly still in talks with the NFL to stream games this season.

41 responses to “Report: Facebook pulls out of talks to stream NFL games

1. Yahoo did the test with the Jags/Bills international game and lied their tails off about viewership. Telling they are not interested in any further broadcasts. #cubantheseer

2. Thank god. FB dev stinks. They have somehow managed to take over most comment sections with really bad programming. I don’t want to ever have to consider how badly they would botch streaming games.

3. ketch20too says:
    Apr 1, 2016 5:17 PM
    Why not stream on NFLN or NFL.com?

Because they aren’t going to pay themselves a billion dollars for it.

4. The NFL already has its own website that it could stream games on if it wanted to. What they want is somebody to pay them for the priveledge of doing what they should already be doing themselves.

5. thrstr says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:04 PM
    zuckerberg makes $0 off of me and it will always remain that way.

You realize facebook is free, right? I’ve been on it since you needed a .edu email to sign up and they’ve made $0 off of me, too.

6. No one to pull for in that battle. FB sucks, and I’m skeptical they wanted to run ad free since they pimp every cm of space on their site. And the league office, well……

7. Hopefully amazon gets it and not Verizon. Having streaming be part of the prime package would be sweet! But if I had to guess if say Verizon will get it since they were already streaming nfl games in the past. Leaving all other carrier customers sol

8. bigredgoog says:
    Apr 1, 2016 5:37 PM

—————————————————————
    Facebook is just the worst, but it’s really popular because the world is full of morons with time to burn.

9. kindbass says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:21 PM
    thrstr says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:04 PM
    zuckerberg makes $0 off of me and it will always remain that way.

~~~~~~~~~~
    They absolutely made money off of you. You just didn’t pay them directly.

10. “TheBrownsareClowns says:
    Apr 1, 2016 4:58 PM
    Why would anyone want to do business with the Mafia, errrrr, NFL? They want everything their way and they want you to pay them a Billion dollars”

————
    The same reason you are on this website, commenting in April, when the next game is 4 months away.

11. I don’t begrudge anybody making their profit, but the NFL and advertising have become a bit over the top.

It IS possible to kill this golden goose, commissioner.

Beware the NASCAR example, although there were somewhat different dynamics there.

12. Does anyone else find it strange that we’re on pft yet there’s supposedly a bunch of NFL haters?

I know I don’t usually spend my time reading, let alone posting about stuff that I hate…

13. The Fact that Yahoo paid the NFL $1 to stream that game that no one watched shows how poorly run Yahoo is. If I was the Yahoo CEO, not the dingbat that runs it, i would be like how much are you paying me NFL?

14. liltifer says:
    Apr 1, 2016 7:27 PM
    _______________

I’ve always attributed the “NFL” hate to actually be directed at the league office and owners. Speaking for myself I love the game itself, it’s the game’s supposed stewards I am often disgusted with.

15. ketch20too says:
    Apr 1, 2016 5:17 PM
    Why not stream on NFLN or NFL.com?

46 0

*****
    Follow the money trail youngster. They want to get paid

16. Two things Goodell is interested in………..making money and the allowing patriots to do what they want. Well at least until team catches them cheating AGAIN and he’s forced to do something.

17. This just in, NFL has reached a deal with North Korea to have exclusive tv rights to all NFL games. USA fans will have to listen on the radio, delayed.

18. I suspect the real reason is Goodell wanted Zuckerberg to validate the Wells Report

19. kindbass says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:21 PM
    thrstr says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:04 PM
    zuckerberg makes $0 off of me and it will always remain that way.

=================================
    Study their business model son. If you have a FB account, of course they are making money off of you. Just because you don’t know how they are selling your information shows how naive their users are.

20. kindbass says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:21 PM
    thrstr says:
    Apr 1, 2016 6:04 PM
    zuckerberg makes $0 off of me and it will always remain that way.

================================
    Study their business model, son. If you have a FB account, they have made money off you. Just because you are not aware of how they are selling your information shows how naive most of their users are, in spite of the fact you’ve had since needing an .edu email account.

21. Why bid to stream Thursday night games, when for the last 2 years they have been the worst scheduled games?

22. “Facebook does not have the male segment down strongly. If they got the NFL it would drive a lot of us to try it.”

—- Or not.