Michael Vick feels like he has one more season in his blood

Getty Images

The movements and potential movements of Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III have been well covered this offseason, which is not something that you can say about one of their predecessors as a quarterback whose ability to make plays with his legs.

Michael Vick was last seen on the field in Week Six when he started for the Steelers in place of an injured Ben Roethlisberger and went 3-of-8 for six yards against the Cardinals. Vick also ran five times for 47 yards before leaving the game with a hamstring injury that led to Landry Jones getting a turn under center.

Vick started three games and played in four overall for Pittsburgh and finished the year 40-of-66 for 371 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. That hasn’t led to any action for him in free agency at this stage and Vick realizes an injury or other unexpected development could be the only thing that changes that landscape. If it does, he says he feels able to answer the call.

“I’m 35, about to turn 36,” Vick said, via Newport News Daily Press. “I’ve got one more dedicated season in my blood, if somebody needs me to come in. But I’m kind of happy where I am right now.”

Vick signed with Pittsburgh in late August in the wake of Bruce Gradkowski’s injury, so it’s not out of the question that he’ll find a way to continue a career that’s taken plenty of twists and turns since he went first overall in 2001.

64 responses to “Michael Vick feels like he has one more season in his blood

1. I think he could fit behind Theodore Bridgewater, Shaun Hill is up there in age, and everyone knows that Zimmer likes “1st Round Picks”

2. Why only one year? I mean how hard is it to sit on your butt and not prepare? Not be ready when called upon and make excuses when things don’t work out well…
    If a team is dumb enough to sign him, they get what they get. (i said the same thing when Pitt signed him)

3. The translation is that Mike wants one more payday.
    He’s been a waste of space on the bench the past few years. Nobody will give him a sniff…

4. I believe he is still better than half of the #2’s in the League and all of the #3’s. Would be dumb to have him replace a young project QB, but he really could be a good #2.

5. Some people also forget, he faced a judge, and had served the consequences that the judge felt was fair for his actions.

What he did was over the top, and brutal, but it was also nearly 10 years ago, and while people actually don’t FORGET that it happened, maybe they just don’t feel its necessary to bring up every time his name is mentioned.

6. @realtruthteller100:
    No one has forgotten that Vick was imprisoned for dogfighting. And no one ever will as long as there are people around like you who will bring it up every chance they get.

7. corkspop says:
    Apr 3, 2016 5:21 PM
    ————————————————-

Better what???? Better looking in jersey n pads holding a clip board….which in his case must be a bingo or keno board

8. Sad state affairs for the nfl if he is still employable. Go clean some cages at the animal shelter.

9. lol the guy really wants to milk the NFL down to the last peny he can.

I think he would be better served to focus on whats ahead for him in the next 40 years of his life instead.

10. No way ! Holding a clipboard for 1.5 or so would make me feel the same damn thing. lol

11. He should feel lucky that he had a good enough friend in Mike Tomlin to basically give him one last year as a charity paycheck. He can’t depend on friends anymore, he’s used them all up.

12. Fun as hell to watch in his early years, you cant deny that..its probably over though.

13. He hasn’t been any good since his prison stay. And he was fading BEFORE prison. Running QB’s just don’t have long careers. The fact that he kept getting work the last few seasons was shocking. He clearly wasn’t up for it. Not smart enough to actually learn the playbook, and not accurate enough to just wing it. No longer fast enough to scare anyone.

14. Will never forget Vick’s incredible night against Washington that ended up 59-31 in a game that was not nearly as close as the score might indicate.

15. I’m not talking trash, but I honestly forgot about this dude. Time to go away Mike.

16. One of the plays I will always remember is his run vs. the Vikings in OT, as Vikings collided just a step behind him as he took off for the game winning TD.

His crazy athletic ability makes you wonder what would have happened, had he not made those poor choices.

17. “Michael Vick feels like he has one more paycheck he can get.”

There you go. Better.

18. jchipwood says:
    Apr 3, 2016 8:07 PM

If your a black qb and was cut/released by Tomlin……..your career was over 4 years ago.
    ————————————————————-
    Tomlin may have his flaws like stopping kicks returned for touchdowns, but this is a bad take. Bad opinions are bad.

It doesn’t help when the wrong form of you’re ( <–the correct form) is used.

19. Vick does not want a starting QB position, you have too much responsibility and you have to work too hard.

He’s much rather get a cush back-up job where the pay ain’t bad and most of the time you’ll never have to actually play.

That year with the Jets, he was unprepared, and with the Steelers, injured hammy–no help there either.

He wants a football paycheck but he’s done working.

20. The Vikings would never sign Vick, any more than they would sign Johnny Manziel.

Rick Spielman would look like an utter fool if he ever signed anyone who was better than Teddy Bridgewater (or could potentially be better).

21. Bad choices cost him the millions he had, the millions he lost in legal fees & mllions while in prison. Of course those bad choices are going to follow him after football. A life sentence of sorts.

22. Mike Vick is probably the only one that thinks he has something left. I thought he had something left last year and believed it was a good pick up for the Steelers. But his consistent inability to get the ball to a WIDE OPEN at times Antonio Brown, showed otherwise.

23. Vick admitted he was unprepared when called upon to play for the Jets. He wasn’t any better when called to play for the Steelers.

Anyone who gives this guy money to be a backup might as well give it to me as I can’t play QB in the NFL either.

24. Please, for the love of God, let his days collecting a check from ANY NFL franchise be behind him forever. The way he played last season proved he no longer has any football ability left in his dog-killing body.

25. I have not forgotten what Michael Vick did. It will be forever etched in my brain. I am a true advocate for animals great and small. On that note however, he paid his dues, he has not gotten into trouble (people have tried to get him into trouble, all false claims, as we found out later), I believe in second chances, and if some team believes in him, well, that’s their prerogative, isn’t it? Look at what’s out there and tell me that he is not a better choice at backup than some others??? I wouldn’t throw in the towel on him just yet, he has to work out and make the team just like everybody else these days, so give him a chance.

26. One more dedicated season? Isn’t this the guy who when they put him in last year said he “wasn’t prepared” They should rename the article “Vick feels he has one more paycheck in his blood”

27. jchipwood says:
    Apr 3, 2016 8:07 PM

_____________________

Ouch! That is unfair to Dixon, who was 5 times as productive as Vick when he started.

28. Yes,he has one more season left in him to stand on the sideline and collect a paycheck. God forbid he actually would have to enter a game. That’s not part of his plan.

29. His ‘one more’ season must be in his blood, because it certainly wasn’t on the field.

30. In other words I have no marketable skills can not get into broadcasting and I am broke

31. He’s done. Although with his style of play, he probably got 3-4 more years than expected.

Career highlights=Chanpionship Game while at Va Tech, the game against the Vikings with 170+ yds passing and running, playoff win at Lambeau, and the comeback with the Eagles.

With P.Manning retired, Vick is the current #1 overall in the league the longest-2001.

32. How quickly people forget that Mike was once the most exciting player in the NFL. There wasn’t one year as a starter with the Falcons where the team underachieved because of Mike’s play on the field.

He did the crime and he did the time.

It’s time for people to move on.

33. montrealraider says:
    Apr 3, 2016 6:05 PM

lol the guy really wants to milk the NFL down to the last peny he can.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that exactly what Vick is trying to do? He IS preparing for the “next 40 years of his life” by trying to milk the NFL for every penny he can. It’s not as if he can get a single cent out of endorsements anymore or has any prospects using his “education”. He’s doing what the only thing he knows how to do, play football.

34. Mike Vick is probably the only one that thinks he has something left. I thought he had something left last year and believed it was a good pick up for the Steelers. But his consistent inability to get the ball to a WIDE OPEN at times Antonio Brown, showed otherwise.
    ———————————————————-

Makes me think about the play when Vick threw a perfect bomb between AB’s numbers in his chest in the endzone vs the ravens and AB dropped it. Vick is far from perfect, but so is everyone else, incl AB. Just sayin.