The Browns traded the second overall pick of the draft to the Eagles earlier this week and the Titans traded out of the top spot earlier this month, making this the fourth time since 1967 that each of the first two picks have been traded ahead of the selection.
In those years, the third overall pick was also traded away. According to Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco, there’s going to need to be an uptick in activity if it is going to happen this year as well.
Speaking at a pre-draft press conference on Friday, Telesco said, via Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, that inquiries from other clubs about moving into the third spot in the order have “really slowed down” since the Browns and Eagles completed their trade. There were reports about the team fielding offers for the pick earlier this week.
As you’d expect, Telesco played it close to the vest in terms of who the Chargers would pick if they stay put and said they’d use “all the time allotted to us” to make the pick come Thursday. Names like Ole Miss tackle Laremy Tunsil and Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey have been thrown around as possible selections and the Chargers would likely feel that plugging either one into their current lineup would be an upgrade over what’s currently on hand.