Jerry Jones closes door on Hardy return to Cowboys

Getty Images

The Cowboys have closed the door on Greg Hardy returning to the team, owner Jerry Jones told reporters Friday night.

The news comes as no real surprise — Hardy has been a free agent for seven weeks — but Jones going the no-comment route is the most definitive statement of disinterest to date. The Cowboys have gone three rounds into the draft without adding an edge rusher, but the team doesn’t see Hardy as a solution.

Stephen Jones, Jerry’s son, has said the the team is looking for pass rushers, and that search will continue into the final day of the draft and apparently beyond. Hardy had six sacks for the Cowboys last year.

Their pass-rush issue is compounded by the situations facing Randy Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence, who are facing four-game suspensions to start next season.

“Ultimately we want to find a dominant type of pass rusher,” Stephen Jones said earlier this month. “Obviously that’s easier said than done.”

The Cowboys-Hardy experiment simply didn’t work out, and the Cowboys figure having to get creative to address their pass rush is better than dealing with Hardy-related headaches.