Getty Images

When he discussed the prospect of a long-term deal for quarterback Kirk Cousins recently, Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan said that he told Cousins the organization would take care of him if Cousins plays well and understands that waiting to do a deal under those circumstances could make for a bigger hit to the team’s finances.

During an interview Monday, Cousins said that approach works for him as well. Cousins, appearing on “Grant and Danny” on 106.7 The Fan, said that he thinks “there’s a chance” that a contract will get done before the July 15 deadline for a multi-year deal, but that he understands why the team would want to see what happens next season before making a longer commitment.

“If they feel like they have enough information and want to make that call right now, then great, too,” Cousins said. “But I think the ball’s in their court and I will react accordingly to whatever decision they make. But I am totally comfortable playing more football, and frankly if I don’t play well next season, I don’t deserve to be back. I don’t deserve a long-term deal. So I want to go out and earn it, and prove myself, and if I need to prove myself again, that’s fine. I’ll go see if I can do that.”

Cousins got some offensive help in the draft when the Redskins took wide receiver Josh Doctson in the first round to provide him with another target as he tries to provide the proof that will force the team’s hand in negotiations.

64 responses to “Kirk Cousins: If I don’t play well in 2016, I don’t deserve a long-term contract

1. “…if I don’t play well next season, I don’t deserve to be back. I don’t deserve a long-term deal. So I want to go out and earn it, and prove myself…”

Respect.

2. The difference in response between a QB like Cousins who had to earn an NFL starting QB job and Sam Bradford who never had to earn it is huge.

3. One game I know he’s not going to play well in is on December 19.

#YesILikeThat
    #KeepPounding

4. We can go 7-9 and the season will still be a success. Skins are still a year away from being a true contender. I think Kirk has a solid season and signs for something around the 20 mil a year hes making now with some heavy guaranteed money.

5. Cousins will play well. He always has, once given the chance to compete. He’s just going to get better and better the more he learns about NFL defenses and what they’re trying to do. He was green as the hills last year, but his play improved a bunch from the beginning of last season to the end.

6. lets face it the NFC East stunk it up last year (big injuries and skins were healthy) and is the only reason the skins won the div. boys are stacked with an Adrian Peterson back and Morris, Giants are loaded up and Eagles as well which means the skins will be right back in the cellar.

Boys
    Giants
    Eagles
    Skins
    Book it!!!! Boys will win 2 SB’s over next 4 years…..

7. I’m not a Redskins fan, but I like Kirk Cousins a lot. Rooting for him to succeed.

8. sure.. something(or somebody) needs to be booked…take deep breaths..the nice people from the county human heath services will be with you shortly

9. Just got a job at my local grocery store but i’m here to judge Kirk Cousins

10. It’s a good thing he doesn’t play a violent sport where injuries are commonplace.

11. The big problem with this statement is whose definition of “play well” is going to be used.

12. Cousins dislikes Snyder, that is evident. He signed on to do a paid weekly call in with the competing sports station in the DMV to Snyder’s owned sports talker.

The thing you like about Cousins is that he views his relationship with the Skins front office as business. Cousins has not warmed up to the fan base ,yet, as the vocal ones have crushed him since day 1. The guy just works on his game, and improving the team.He doesn’t want the attention for anything but what he does on the field. He is a guy you would want the fans to rally around, but what happens with the Snyder fan base, they are never happy and think they know how to get it done. Wouldn’t be shocking if Cousins keeps making them tag him until he can leave.

13. @boysroll

The skins were healthy? What team were you watching, their entire defense was 22nd and 323rd stringers just about. One of their cbs, had never even played the position, and the rest were guys off the street, except for Breeland. You are delusional, the Cowboys defense is horrible, and both of your defensive ends are suspended. And you can’t compare Elliott to Peterson when he hasn’t even played a down yet. Everybody thought Trent Richardson was a monster, and we’ll you see what happened to him. Not to mention Romo will be hurt by week 4.

14. jgedgar70 says:
    May 2, 2016 12:17 PM
    One game I know he’s not going to play well in is on December 19.

——————————

Not to mention week 1. Ouch!

15. Sam Bradford broke 2 ribs and blew out both knees reading those comments.

16. Kirk Cousins 2015 season stats:
    16 games played
    Record 9 – 7 (winning)
    4,166 yards
    69.8% completion perentage
    29 TDs (1.8 per game)
    11 Ints (less than .75 per game)
    101.6 QB Rating (5th best in the league for the year)

Sam Bradfords
    14 games played (can’t stay healthy)
    Record 7 – 7 (500% – best season record in career)
    65.0% completion percentage (1 less out of every 20)
    19 TDs (1.3 per game)
    14 Ints (1 per game)
    86.4 QB Rating (26th on league – no typo there!!!)

Who out of the two of them has the stronger case to make that they are a franchise QB. Bradford needs to look at his career objectively and get over being the 2010 #1 pick. One can argue that the jury is still out on Cousins, but the evidence on Bradford is undisputable.

17. No matter what team he plays for, you have to respect and appreciate his mentality. He may not have the arm you’d like, but his savy, determination and leadership will make up for that.

18. Why is it that when Dallas drafts a couple of decent players their fans go nuts and start predicting Superbowls??????

With those burn victim DBs they have,I cant see it and besides that,No way Romos`s 36 year old surgically repaired shoulder is going to hold up!!!!

19. Wow! I love that honest attitude. I’m sure the NFLPA doesn’t like it, but Cousins sure earned a lot respect from hard working Americans everywhere. I hope he plays great and earns a deal that is beyond his wildest dreams.

20. Smart to act modest in case he crap the bed with more offensive talent. We saw Dalton regress under Gruden so let’s see what happens.

Obviously people should support their team but it’s the offseason. Chill on all the praise. Your starting running back averages 3.2 ypc and a fumble every 17 attempts

21. @boysroll @coyboys2016
    Remember last year when a healthy Tony Romo threw 3 interceptions (2 for pick six) against the Panthers on Thanksgiving day? Yeah, that was AWESOME!!!

Good luck with that….#delusional

Signed

Skins fans

22. I am not a ‘skins fan, but anyone has to like that attitude. He is a good guy.

But there was a commentor above who said how “green” Kirk was last year and how he grew thorughout the year. Yes he did and as the year progressed he did better and better. Not to be a killjoy, but defenses did not know what to do against Cousins last year either. With a decent amount of film on him now, the team coming off a playoff year, teams will also be better prepared for Cousins. Cousins and the ‘skins won’t sneak up on anyone. That coupled with teams in his own division improving, this could be challenging for him.

Btw, I am a Ravens fan and begrudgingly give Redskin praise. But I see good things for him if he stays healthy.

23. oscarxray says:
    May 2, 2016 1:10 PM
    It’s a great time to be a mediocre QB.

_________________________________

I take it you mean mediocre as in set all but 1 franchise record in his first year as a starter? I do like that..

24. boysroll says:
    May 2, 2016 12:42 PM
    Book it!!!! Boys will win 2 SB’s over next 4 years…..
    _________________

When will cowgirl fanboys learn what they do on Madden doesn’t count.

Props to Cousins. Serious respect for any player willing to bet on himself with that much at stake.
    A Giants guy

25. bunkmcnulty says:
    May 2, 2016 2:17 PM

“Not to be a killjoy, but defenses did not know what to do against Cousins last year either. With a decent amount of film on him now, the team coming off a playoff year, teams will also be better prepared for Cousins.”

Cousins is a pro-style pocket passer. We’re not talking about some super dynamic player when it comes to figuring him out. Everyone knew what he was going to do last year. And he still lights them up anyway.. The only difference this year is teams will go into training camps knowing that he is for real and is something they well need to take seriously.

26. This is the type of guy I want as QB of my team. All the players could learn from him, rookies and veterans alike. Love you, Kirk!!!!

27. bunkmcnulty says:

“…Everyone knew what he was going to do last year. And he still lights them up anyway..”

You mean teams with a losing record right? in 4 years he hasn’t beat a team that is better than .500. So, chill Winston with the hyperbole.

Or are you expecting 16 games against losing teams this year?

28. Cousins hasn’t been in the NFL as long as Bradford! Who proved himself last year with a respectable year for Philly! Cousins hasn’t had the injuries that Bradford had in St. Louis b/c they wouldn’t spend the money to protect him! Bradford isn’t fond of being the bridge to the 2017 Season. With uncertainty in his situation. You can’t blame him for wanting some certainty in his life can you?

29. I imagine he will play well, but I cant see him playing up to the level of his 19M salary when Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers make less! I will eat my words if they win the division again though – he is worth it if they can accomplish that!

30. Look for Cousins to take a Folesian fall next season. He didn’t beat a team with a winning record, and looked like the old Kirk Cousins against Green Bay in the playoffs. Smart move not giving him a long-term contract. They would have regretted it.

31. Cowgirl fans, ha ha ha, Romo can shatter at a moment’s notice and JJ just got done saying he wished they’d drafted a different QB than the one they did. Bow to the Redskins.

Hail

32. ‘and frankly if I don’t play well next season, I don’t deserve to be back. I don’t deserve a long-term deal.’

I betcha he whines for a new contract sooner rather than later.

How many times, in ALL sports, have we seen a guy say on camera ‘I’d play this sport for free if I had to’, and a year later that very same player is holding out for more money.

33. harveyredman says:
    May 2, 2016 2:55 PM
    bunkmcnulty says:

Or are you expecting 16 games against losing teams this year?

______________________

That was not my quote at all. It was the gentlemen who quoted part of my earlier post.

Rip me for what I said, that’s fine. But the part you quoted came from jake6879, not me!!!!!

Actually, I somewhat agree with you post. But the kid is smart and reads defenses well. I think he may be able to improve. Depends on how well he adjusts to the defensive looks and packages he sees this year.

34. I really appreciate his honesty but you play for a league that brings in billions and billions of dollars a year. Everyone around you is flush with money and you will never again in your life have a window of earnings potential as great as this one. Wake up already and GET PAID!!!! If you under perform you can feel bad later as you’re counting your piles of cash instead of wishing they were there.

35. jake6879 says:

____________________

You did read the last part of my post also, didn’t you. The part that says… “What I think bodes well for him, is he reads defenses well. Teams can game plan all they want, but if he continues to excel in reading defenses he should continue to improve. That and I think Gruden is a good coach for a young QB.”

Figuring a guy out has little to do with “pro-style pocket passer.” How does he respond to coverages, looks, disguises in coverages, different blitz pressures and coverage packages. There is now a lot of film on him. It takes a while to see a guy’s tendancies under all those situations. Defenses will be better prepared. But he’s a smart kid, who reacts quickly and reads defenses well.

Nothing alarming at all in what I posted. I believe it was spot on.

36. Kudos to Kirk. He just needed continuity of play and commitment from coaches so that he could grow into position. He did a lot of off season work last year and it showed later in the season!

37. kurdishpats1 says:
    May 2, 2016 12:03 PM

Respect.

——

Agreed, if he means it. Let’s see what he says next offseason if he doesn’t play well.

38. boysroll says:
    May 2, 2016 12:42 PM

Boys
    Giants
    Eagles
    Skins
    Book it!!!! Boys will win 2 SB’s over next 4 years…..

______________
    As an Eagles fan, we are anything but loaded. The defense needs to be rebuilt to fit a 4-3 again (well on their way), the offense needs to upgrade every “skill” position except TE (and hopefully QB, but we won’t know that for 2-3 years). Their current WR and RB core are anything but “stacked”

I do expect the Giants to be better, Dallas may be, but like every year it’s going to depend on Romo staying healthy (and their D is still questionable, so they need the offense to be putting up numbers).

I would see the Skins as a team that “could” fall off. Cousins has never had to be “the man”, their defense is anything but elite, and they don’t have an exciting stable of RB’s at the moment. But it’s anything but a given.

Right now, I’d have to say, Dallas/NYG/Skins/Philly, but I think it will be another year where the 1st place team has 9 MAYBE 10 wins, and the last place team has 6 or 7

39. Sounds good to the average Joe. Very noble and such, but why as a QB would you NOT want security right away. Bradford gets bashed, but he did the right thing because he’s experienced three of the worst things for a quarterback: Injury, lack of supporting talent and bad coaching. Stump for your dough now before you become a victim and a backup again. How can you crow over a 9-7 record in a division with one winning team?

40. Kirk Cousins told Sam Bradford not to do this in a speech at Media Day in 2011. (Watch it on YouTube)

Here is a professional that set out to learn and then perform with the best of the best. He is a leader by example as he is highly intelligent and not a captive of his ego. This college players peers selected hm to speak on their behalf and he represented them honorably with integrity at the forefront of his message.

Arguably he is still a work in progress and coming off a franchise record setting statistical season, where they won their division. He’s done nothing but prove and remain humble to his craft and respectful to us work ethic.

The NFC East Champions are going to be much better then last year and are hungrier then ever. To predict future success based on historical results would point towards the Redskins as easy favorites in comparison. This is soundly because of what you can expect from Kirk Cousins.