Las Vegas mayor believes the Raiders are coming to town

Getty Images

The mayor of Las Vegas believes the Raiders are ready to make a move.

Mayor Carolyn Goodman told ESPN that Raiders owner Mark Davis isn’t just using Vegas as leverage to get a better stadium deal in Oakland. According to Goodman, a move to Vegas is close to happening.

“Mark Davis has assured us that Las Vegas is not getting played in a Raiders stadium deal,” Goodman said. “I know we will have a team.”

The proposal for a domed NFL stadium in Las Vegas includes the Raiders paying $500 million, the Sands Corporation paying $150 million and taxpayers paying $750 million. To pass the tax increase, the Nevada legislature would have to act.

“The Raiders will come if Nevada handles this properly,” Goodman said.

Some around the NFL believe the league is simply too averse to gambling to allow a team to move to Vegas. But the league isn’t averse to accepting hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer money to build a stadium, and if Nevada approves the deal, it would be hard for the NFL to say no.

115 responses to “Las Vegas mayor believes the Raiders are coming to town

1. I know it’s Vegas and all as it gets super hot. But with the humidity, I would take dry heat over swamp like weather. Raiders playing in a Dome is just super weird to me. Raiders are an outside team, playing on real grass and getting their jerseys dirty. But hey…times change, people change..blah blah

2. I still think the Raiders end up in LA after San Diego agrees to stay and build a new stadium. Sorry Las Vegas but you ARE getting played.

3. You’re crazy if you think Nevada is going to approve $750 million in taxpayer dollars. Doesn’t matter if the NFL is okay with it or not; it would be the highest subsidy for a stadium deal in the history of the NFL. Mark will go stumbling back to Oakland with his pants down by his ankles yet again.

4. This guy Goodman may be the main reason the NFL wants no part of Vegas. He’s pretty much the most crooked lawyer this side of Hillary Clinton this country has ever seen.

5. I’m a Broncos fan. But I’d really love to see the Raiders in Vegas. I think it’s the perfect to make the move there. Vegas has way more to offer than Oakland as far as accommodations.

6. “Some around the NFL believe the league is simply too averse to gambling to allow a team to move to Vegas.”

Are these the same ‘some’ that think DFS is a skillful activity? And before we here about other states with casinos, the alleged concern is with sports books. Nevada is the only state with legal sports books. However there’s one on every other corner in London. Any concern is purely about image, not reality. Vegas would be the perfect Super Bowl destination

7. So with 750 people living in the state of Nevada, each gets a tax hike or $1,000,000.

It’s an exaggeration, but my point is that with only 2.8 million people residing in the entire state (compared to CA’s 30 million), the taxpayers are gonna feel it.

8. …..I thought it might have a chance until I heard the 750,million tax bill……no way that happens. I still think San Antonio/Austin Texas is the destination to go for……but Jerry Jones and Bob Mcnair are too intimating for Davis Jr……Dad would make it happen though…….

9. I don’t care where they play..if I can fly/drive/sail there I’ll be pulling for the Raiders. From the womb to the tomb baby..

10. What about the half a bill relocation fee? I was under the impression Mark Davis wasn’t extremely wealthy in terms of cash. He’ll have $1B in costs between stadium and fee.

11. It won’t be too hard to find some place to build the stadium. Tack on a nice convention center next door, maybe host the draft or even (gasp) the Super Bowl. Huge area for tailgating. Expand the monorail line from downtown for easy access. Would be nice if it had a translucent or retractable roof and capability to slide the field out for multi-purpose events. Use the latest in solar and wind tech to help power it, plenty of both out there in the desert.

This could be a world-class stadium. Don’t blow it, Nevada.

12. This guy Goodman may be the main reason the NFL wants no part of Vegas. He’s pretty much the most crooked lawyer this side of Hillary Clinton this country has ever seen.

__________________

Lol, the Goodman in the article is Carolyn Goodman, Oscar Goodman hasn’t been the mayor since 2011.

13. Casinos in other states with NFL teams are lacking 1 crucial component. Sports books. The NFL won’t take issue with casinos. They’re going to take issue with sports books however.

14. Bravo to those saying they will remain fans, even after the move.

I have been a life long Cardinals fan, even though they left me behind in St. Louis 28 years ago…

: (

15. Can Oakland just get it together? The raiders are on the rise and sold out the stadium for the first time (ever?) so its a product in demand.

also they are letting the warriors move to SF… what is wrong with the city of Oakland?

winning teams bring jobs and revenue to the city… what is the mayor doing?

I am a season ticket holder for the raiders and live in sacramento. our mayor got it done and got the sac kings a new deal …. why cant Oakland get something done with their teams? shm

16. -Think we’ll get there by midnight?
    “Midnight? Baby, we’re gonna be up five hundy by midnight. They’re gonna give daddy the Rain Man suite.”

17. Just spitballling, but can the Las Vegas population support a premiere-level professional sports franchise? What percentage of that population is the demographic that is both non-transient resident and NFL fan?

18. js36js36 says:
    May 10, 2016 1:42 PM

==============

The taxpayers in this case will undoubtedly be passing a tax hike along to the 42M plus visitors that go there each year. A retractable roof facility in Vegas would print money. Over 21k conventions go there annually as it is. A stadium would probably run out of available dates before it ran out of events

19. To the folks citing how close NFL stadiums are to casinos…you can’t bet on sports in those casinos.

_________________________

Casinos have no interest in tilting the books, they make the most money on even and fair action.

20. Just spitballling, but can the Las Vegas population support a premiere-level professional sports franchise? What percentage of that population is the demographic that is both non-transient resident and NFL fan?

______________

Yes, we can, its only eight games/year. The challenge won’t be filling the stadium but filling it with fans of the home team.

21. js36js36 says:May 10, 2016 1:42 PM

True. That’s why city council in Vegas said no way. So billionaire big shots Addison and Wynn are talking to personally pay another 500-600 mill. Leaving about $300 mill for tax payers. Fairly reasonable.

And fyi,
    everyone here in Vegas wants them here. Many many football fans here like myself, that’d go to games for the experience, instead of traveling out of state to see games

22. raider8er says:
    May 10, 2016 1:43 PM
    Young NFL players (Raiders or visiting teams) in Vegas? What could possibly go wrong?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is it really all that much worse than South Beach in Miami?

23. well I do not think there is the slight of chance that the City of Oakland is willing to spend 750 million of public money to get a deal done. With that said why is the Sands paying only 150 million….where is MGM, Ceasars, (other casino’s)etc….money????? If Mark Davis is funding 500 million, is it then the Raiders venue….I think the thought of the Raiders playing in Vegas could be reality, but the numbers here do not make sense.

Go Raiders!

24. First, as a fan I would welcome ANY team to Vegas. How awesome to go party, eat, gamble and see an NFL game with 100k global fans vs the same old rif-raf.

Second, I think Vegas fits the Raiders, and is a quick flight or drive for the vast majority of the fan base. I know it’s not Oakland and all the tradition. Bothers me too, but willing to let it go for a real stadium and better times with my franchise.

25. You can walk to a casino easily from Arrowhead for example.
    —————————————-
    Arrowhead? The closest casino is ten miles away.

26. I hope it happens.
    I love tax payer handouts to football owners.
    $750 million is a lot of money, go for it Las Vegas!

The question I have is:
    How much can the Raiders make via PSL sales?
    Enough to cover the $500 million put up by the team?
    There aren’t enough full time football fans in Las Vegas to buy >70,000 PSLs, so where is that money coming from. No one builds a stadium without PSLs. And what about luxury boxes? The home team gets to keep all of that revenue.
    How many luxury boxes will the raiders sell in Las Vegas.

That’s the beauty of the 49ers stadium. Huge number of luxury boxes, and astronomical PSL prices. Its very lucrative for the 49ers.

27. The LV Casino’s will all chip in to get an NFL team. Nevada won’t need all 750 million from the tax payers.

28. What? The Raiders aren’t moving to that football hotbed known as Toronto? I’m shocked I tell you,
    just shocked!!! Huh, you actually have to buy
    tickets and support football? Toronto, 4th biggest
    market, world class city blah, blah, blah…….

29. thingamajig says:
    May 10, 2016 2:35 PM
    ———————
    Only if they get a piece of team ownership.

Casinos aren’t exactly in the habit of just handing out money…

30. I want them to stay in Oakland, I have been a fan since 1971, it was hard enough saying LA Raiders……but they need a respectable stadium to play in. So if Oakland can’t/wont step up to the plate, Las Vegas here we come!

31. All those casinos in Vegas and they are going to try and stick it to the taxpayers for $750 million? If I lived in Vegas, I’d tell them to stay in Oakland.

32. As a Vegas resident, will I be able to buy seats for under $300 a pop? Bringing them here is one thing, but being able to see them is another.

33. If the league wants years of sell outs, they will get the OK to move to LV. Can you imagine every casino in town will have a luxury suite and comp them to their high rollers. Not just for NFL games, but I’m sure they would have a Bowl game there, Supercross, indoor X-games, Final Four, concerts, you name it. And being that tourists fly in there all day long, it would be an incredible place to have a team. The only thing stopping them is the “old guard” of league owners, which will be gone in about another 10 years or so. If they want to do what’s best for the league, they should move one team, any team there. And they still get to keep L.A. as leverage for getting new stadiums done elsewhere in the country.

34. So, what’s the problem? Pretty much wherever you go, just go online and bet. Most states will allow it. Just let Caesars have their take. The NFL can’t be a nanny. Besides, the NFL is being a hypocrite. “No, you can’t place a bet. But you better fork over for that betting money for a seat at the game”.

35. mack2x says:
    May 10, 2016 4:01 PM

—————————-

As mentioned about 500 times, the $750 million is going to be paid by the millions of visitors Vegas gets every year.

36. Hmm, can’t wait till the “Stadium Resort Fee”of $35 gets added to the existing scam Resort Fee on hotel bills. Resort Fee, still the best legal scam hotels have to offer. Why I have to pay for a phone only used to call the front desk to fix the broken items in my room is beyond me.

37. I love reading the utter disconnect with reality that is shared by some of my fellow earthlings. This will never happen.

38. steelerben says:
    May 10, 2016 2:16 PM
    raider8er says:
    May 10, 2016 1:43 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is it really all that much worse than South Beach in Miami?

+++++++++++++++

You could lose your shirt in Vegas just playing roulette.

39. “You can walk to a casino easily from Arrowhead for example.”

For sports wagering, or slots? Hell, but that logic, Bingo is gambling.

40. And once again, the Raiders turn their backs on their die hard fans and run to the highest bidder. Loyalty? Family?? Marcus Allen is laughing! Commitment to $!

41. There’s no income tax in Nevada, so players making $10 million dollars per year will save about a million dollars in state income taxes (depending on states w/ income tax). The Las Vegas Raiders would attract even MORE free agents because they’d save so much more $$$ having Nevada as their living address.

42. Los Angeles, San Antonio, St Louis, Las Vegas, San Diego, Irwindale, Sacramento, Etc. One thing is for sure- EVERYONE WANTS THE RAIDERS! Wake me when its done. This stuff is old and has been for years. We Raider fans will still be fans if they play on Mars. However, they belong in Oakland

43. yeah mark has 500M for relocation fee and 100M cost of moving, new staff to get new season ticket holders. Only took the team many years to cultivate the current mix of season ticket holders. So why is;t the raiders willing to help make it happen in Oakland. simple: he does not want to.

44. I would love to see my Dolphins play the Raiders in Vegas. Every home game is going to look like an away game with rival fans flocking to Vegas for a weekend of gambling, cheap drinks, and football. No matter how good or bad the team is that stadium will alway be packed. Mark Davis is going to make a mint on this deal.

45. The guy who posted above is correct. It has been reported around 500 times that the tax will be tacked on to the already absurd room tax and ???

Not sure why this isn’t in the headline article.

Nevada doesn’t even have a State income tax.

Individual citizens of Las Vegas won’t be paying a dime.

The Sand’s guy, Adelson seems to be the one really making out on the deal.

46. I’ve lived in Cleveland my whole life and the Browns are my team. I hate to see teams moving around, you can’t imagine the feeling that comes with your team leaving town. On top of that, look at what we have now. Keep the Raiders in Oakland, start a new team if you really need to have one in Vegas.

47. Sadly Oakland fans will NEVER get a stadium there.
    The city is run by uber liberals and no money can be diverted from the welfare corruption , city scams

48. @olskook711

Yes, Mark Davis is selling out to a billionare who can along with the NV politicans woo him with golden pyramids so to speak. The tourists get rooked and the Raiders damage their brand by throwing their lot in bed with grotesqueness that is Las Vegas. Bay area fans will be done once and for all. Mark my words, this is not a good move for the franchise. Die hards we’ve been there all along will leave and history and all that franchise stood for will die. The team will be as memorable as Vegas – inspiring no loyalty, a weekend of “fun,” and superficial glitz. The opposite of who they have been historically. Mark has been unable to close a deal in Oaktown due to his bungling. When he makes a good step as he did on the lease renewal, he goes and mucks it up again causing resentments.

@Benton2016. Yes, Raiders leave Oakland, the Raiders logos and colors STAY in the bay area. Mark must rename and recolor the franchise. The Raider brand is not Vegas and should never be tainted by it. The NFL did the right thing making Art Modell as part of his move to Baltimore reimage his club.

Cheers.

49. The NFL has become a corrupt organization under Goodell’s leadership. Las Vegas is a perfect match for an NFL team. Go for it. Why not?

50. Sad for the city of Oakland. Just when their team starts getting good/has signs of a great team they’re going to move them….

51. Don’t believe a word the league or owner says. NFL is a cartel
    They will do what they want even if it violates their own rules

52. This makes me sad and I’m not even a Raiders fan. Give Vegas an expansion team and don’t uproot a historically significant franchise for a few bucks.

53. After ten years of Goodell the owners have pretty much thrown up their hands at the whole, “avoid even the appearance of impropriety” thing.

54. I hope the NFL allows the Raiders to go to Vegas or they give them an expansion team. That means the NFL doesn’t have a leg to stand on when it comes to NJ legalizing sports gambling.

55. Last thing Mark Davis needs to be is a city filled with cocaine and prostitutes.

Last thing the NFL needs is their players a step away from gamblers anonymous getting comped for hotel rooms and booze just so the casinos can get into their deep pockets.

I guess this all makes perfect sense.

56. $750 million in public funds? Who the heck would ever sign off on that?

I assume it would mostly be in the form of taxes paid by tourists and gamblers, as opposed to a new regular tax on residents, but that’s still revenue not going toward the public good.

Looks like an appropriately bizarre story playing out ahead.

57. I’m looking forward to the Raiders moving to Las Vegas. Oakland has zero to offer. Unless improvements and/or expansion can be done on Sam Boyd Stadium, the move won’t take place until 2020. Sam Boyd Stadium is not adequate as a temporary home.

It would’ve makw sense for the Raiders to play three “lame duck years” in Oakland. Hopefully they can work this out so that the Raiders can play in Las Vegas in 2017.

58. “The Las Vegas Raiders” has a really nice ring to it, and it’s about time the NFL had to maybe own up to their hypocrisy on gambling by having a club based out of there.

59. In reality, Mark Davis and Sheldon Adleson should be able to pay for the stadium themselves. Adleson has money out the wazoo. They will also make money from the naming rights. Can’t wait until ground is broken for the new stadium.

60. it would be a cake walk to raise the 750 mil in vegas….with 29 mil visitors a year the tax would be easily hidden in all the visitor taxes,sales taxes and ‘resort fees’…….as they said in the ‘blue brothers’ :…..’5,000,no problem,we will have it to you tomorrow’…..vegas would be the easiest place for the nfl to raise A LOT OF MO’ to build a new stadium….. …..just sayin’ …………

61. And five years from now Mark Davis will be desperately knocking on every city door begging for a new stadium that he won’t pay for. This is pathetic. Seen this movie way to many times. The Davis family has proven ovah and ovah that they don’t know how to profitably operate an NFL franchise. Goodell, speak to your owners, let the NFL take this mess over. The Raiders have a wonderful mystique that needs to be restored now! Make them relevant again!! The pieces are in place. Just somebody, give them guidance and get them out of that sewage tarp pit!

62. Another thing about the move to Las Vegas is that it cuts into 3 different fanbase the Arizona Cardinals, the Rams, and the Chargers fanbase.

Also why would you want a team to play in a city that’s in the middle of the desert where there is absolutely nothing to do but gamble and drink liquor? Where the Casinos want nothing else but to get in the NFL’s players’ pockets..They’ll probably have casinos at the practice facility.

63. Genius move by Owner Davis Jr.

Hold training camp in San Antonio, and move the team to Las Vegas.

L.A. Raider fans get the best of both worlds.

Vegas Raiders 2017!

64. I can see where they’d need a domed stadium. Playing outdoors there in September could be kind of dicey (no pun intended). But I like the idea of Vegas having an NFL team. I just don’t know if they have the population base in the metro area to fill a 70,000 seat stadium.

65. The stadium and the Raiders won’t even be within the City of Las Vegas for which Mayor Caroline Goodman is the Mayor. They will be within the township of Paradise in unincorporated Clark County, for which the county commission has governmental oversight. Mayor Goodman’s only dog in this fight is that she is on the board for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitor’s Authority. The city for which she is the mayor has NOTHING to do with this potential move or the stadium

66. I hate ready sports gambling stories….. cause no one does that…(prob how jerry world got built..him betting against the boys”I dont care if pete rose sat guys to win money….best player ever to play should be hof…him and bonds….

67. And five years from now Mark Davis will be desperately knocking on every city door begging for a new stadium that he won’t pay for. This is pathetic. Seen this movie way to many times. The Davis family has proven ovah and ovah that they don’t know how to profitably operate an NFL franchise. Goodell, speak to your owners, let the NFL take this mess over. The Raiders have a wonderful mystique that needs to be restored now! Make them relevant again!! The pieces are in place. Just somebody, give them guidance and get them out of that sewage tarp pit and into an environment that somebody can manage. Jesus, all the other teams have new stadiums and are making money hand over fist!

68. Fool us once, shame on the NFL owners….. Fool us twice, call us morons, we deserve it……………..

Look Davis can open his big mouth and tell the mayor anything. He knows dam well the 750 million aint coming anytime soon. Enough time for Oakland to immaculately come up with a stadium plan. The Vegas council doesn’t even meet again until 2017 and that is just to consider using hotel tax money. If they say no, you got a lot of time wasted, nothing done and the team going nowhere.

I think a Raider Vegas team would be cool but color me not buying this guy.

69. Funny thing is out if the $500mil Davis is pledging $200mil of it is G-4 which by NFL rules can only be used in the home market..So why don’t u make it an even 1billion$ Vegas cuz your dealing with the broke Bowl Cut! The owners will vote this idiot down any way u cut it just because he’s Al’s kid so back to Oakland u go Marky Boy! Oh wait that’s right there’s always LA ya Kronke owns LA and he’s gonna come to terms with Davis to Rent? Not happening and yep the Raiders are approved but they gotta come to terms with someone who will never let him over shadow the Rams in LA, ask yourself would you?

70. $1.4B seems kinda pricey for a football stadium in Las Vegas. What is this going to be? The Taj Mahal of football stadiums?

71. Wow … billing the taxpayers 750 million is just nuts.
    The casinos should be fitting the bill seriously all of them will be making millions of dollars every home game.

72. If any team should move to Vegas, it should be the Raiders. Al Davis would have loved being there.

73. A new stadium will pop up in Oakland after 2 consecutive playoff appearances!

74. Immafubared stated:

…The Vegas council doesn’t even meet again until 2017 and that is just to consider using hotel tax money. If they say no, you got a lot of time wasted, nothing done and the team going nowhere.

The Las Vegas mayor and the city council meet at least weekly, but the bigger picture is that THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS! Zero, Zip, Nada. The stadium is not within the Las Vegas, it will be built in unincorporated Clark County. And the Clark County Commissioners, which control a significantly larger tax revenue than the city proper, meet at least weekly themselves. It is the state legislature that does not meet again until 2017 and the governor could always call for a special session, but currently the only state issue is that the land belongs to UNLV and that is covered by the independent board of regents.

The issue here is convention space. Adelson wants the county to scrap their plans on expanding the LVCVA’s convention center where the Riviera currently stands and divert that money into the stadium. The convention center’s expansion directly compete’s with Adelson’s Sand’s Convention Center and would benefit all of the hotels in the area, but take money away from his floor space. With the stadium being built with public funds he would partially control the newly added convention space, for which the stadium would also have. As far as the tax payers of Clark County, for which I am one, it’s almost a wash if the money is diverted from one project to another. Yet I think this is something that the private sector should have to tackle on their own.

The bigger stumbling block for the currently proposed site is the too close vicinity to the airport and the traffic around it being disruptive during Sunday home games during the airport’s busiest times. Maybe this will finally get the monorail extended to the airport.

75. Very few people would like to see Oakland lose the Raiders.

On the other hand, fans look at this as billionaires holding their teams hostage for the ransom of a new stadium. The billionaires are looking at this as you build us a new stadium or we start fielding offers from elsewhere for a new stadium and more, more money. They see it as reality.

All football fans look at Oakland as stubborn, typical Norcal activists that want to prove a point and won’t budge on something that is, in essence, a free-market reality.

If you want the team to stay in Oakland, build a new football stadium in Oakland and see what happens.

If not, then watch as Davis’s franchise triples its new worth by moving to Vegas.

Its called the real world.