Adam Gase on Ndamukong Suh: His way of preparing really works for him

Getty Images

When Dolphins coach Adam Gase was on PFT Live last month, he said that he hadn’t heard anything from players to suggest that there was anything to a report that they were “privately steamed” about DT Ndamukong Suh missing voluntary practices.

Gase didn’t sound the least bit steamed about Suh working out on his own in Oregon during an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio with Alex Marvez and Gil Brandt this week. Gase was well aware that Suh has a long history of working out on his own and says that he has no doubts that Suh will be ready to go when he reports for OTAs.

“The great thing about Suh, he’s in constant communication, he’s always kind of calling and talking to our coaches, he has his iPad,” Gase said. “He calls me every once in a while, just seeing what’s going on. He’s just got his regimen and he’s kinda been doing his deal that way out west for quite a few years now. I know this — come training camp and in the season his body’s ready to go. He has a way of preparing and it may be unique but it really works for him. And I feel like when we get going in OTAs, him being here for all those practices, that is a very important time for us. Just getting him around the building for us when he’s ready to go, that’s going to be great”

There are plenty of areas for Gase to work on fixing during his first offseason as a head coach, which probably makes it a smart move to not spend too much time worrying about the absence of a player who isn’t required to be in Miami right now.

53 responses to “Adam Gase on Ndamukong Suh: His way of preparing really works for him

1. I forgot how awesome he was last year. Wait, did he even play? Adam Gase must be sore from giving his team P.R. back rubs.

2. To me, voluntary workouts are more about team dedication. As long as he isn’t calling himself a leader then cool I guess.

3. Such is never injured & never sits. Why is it he always gets posts about not being at his team’s facility? Gase is right, Suh will be ready when its time.

4. The simple fact that Gase finds it necessary to give a whimpy public defense of Suh is evidence of dissension in the lock room with other players. Add to it that the Fish don’t have a running game and a below average passing game, it all adds up to not a great start for Gase.

5. Yeah…maybe it works for HIM!! But when you are part of a team, you are expected to you know…be a part of the team.
    That includes being involved in things that the team is doing.

6. translated to english – -” i really wanted him here,but when i asked him to show up ,he laughed out loud and said “and if i don’t” …i had no response to that and hung up the phone”

7. Obviously, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, but Suh doesn’t need someone telling him everything he is doing is right…

8. Suh’s not a teamer, but maybe Gase is just hoping that the indiscipline that’s seen Suh fined 8 times, and twice suspended in his career for stamping (though the latest, on Rodgers’ leg, was ridiculously reduced to a fine) won’t infect the other campers too soon, but that come Fall will help the Phins “stomp” to victory – or, more likely, 8-8, 3rd place in AFC East.

9. Does it show he is a team guy who wants to spend time with his brothers in arms. Does it show he wants to be a leader and help the younger guys? Does it show the coaches that he wants to learn the defense inside out so he can be the best he can be?That being said I am sure the Dolfins knew what they were getting so its on them.

10. Also, Suh had one of his best seasons last year.

According to PFF, he ranked 16th against the run among interior linemen, and was the third best pass rusher behind Aaron Donald and JJ Watt.

But please, go ahead and tell me again how he had a bad season. I am sure you will also try and tell me that Tebow is a good QB.

11. Religionisforidiots is a buffaLOSER fan . The most pathetic franchise in all of sports. The only team in all 4 major sports not to make the playoffs since the calendar turned 2000 lmao!!!! Idk what’s more pathetic that loser team or your posts!!!

12. Gase didn’t sound the least bit steamed about Suh working out on his own.

I wonder if he would be steamed if it’s five or ten players only showing up to the mandatory stuff. I think the more time a team is together the better they will be.

13. jvonblohnjvb0013 says:
    May 13, 2016 9:46 AM
    Also, Suh had one of his best seasons last year.

————————————————–
    Great players make their teams good, me players, not so much. There’s been plenty of players who were ranked among the best at their positions but never did a damn thing for their “team.” If Fins fans are happy to stand behind Suh, they learned nothing from the Lions fans who did so for many years and how did “his greatness” improve that team. Archie Manning, Jeff George, Greg Hardy, T.O., etc……what good is one individual “me” player?? Also, in your listing of Suh’s stats from last year, you forgot one very important detail about his “accomplishments”…..teams no longer find the need to double team him like they did when he was with the Lions.

14. One of Gase’s quotes that was omitted from the article…”you think I’m going to tell him how to work out? Are you nuts?!? This guy is is a massive, unstable nut case who could mangle me in mere seconds. I’ll make some suggestions, through a third party, but no way I’m telling him what to do and pissing him off”

15. Exactly, jvon. Suh was a beast last year, despite being misused and getting little help. Why are all these whiners bitching about a grown man preparing for a grueling season the best way he knows how? There’s a reason this period isn’t mandatory.
    I’m thrilled we have a coach who’s smart enough, and secure enough, to not get caught up in a non- issue like this one. If Gase knows his X’s and O’s , the players will respond to being treated with respect.

16. …it usually take at 1 season before a rookie head coach can start cutting/trading selfish veterans that don’t fit in with the program.(unless you’re Chip K). Suh won’t be in a Miami uniform in 2017……

17. He got paid he’ll just do what ever he wants just like what he did in Detroit!!! If he don’t perform this year I think it will be time to cut bait on this cat!!!

18. thejuddstir says:
    May 13, 2016 8:45 AM
    —–
    No matter what Gase did or didn’t do you would take that as evidence of dissent in the locker room so please spare us. If Gase gave a no comment….you would say dissent….if Gase said he would only talk about players in camp you would say that’s evidence. ……if Gase gave a full throated defense of Suh you would say that’s evidence…..

19. Steve Jobs was a loser for doing things his own way. Until he wasn’t. I guess the only question is, where is the line for Suh, what does he have to do to convince enough people that his way works for him?

I’d say that he achieved that somewhere between Detroit and Miami, but I’m just a guy on the internet.

20. I would bet some of the football experts on here never played anything other than pony or little leagues.

As a fish fan, Suh was often doubled and even in a couple of cases tripled with a rb, and he still had a decent season. the man shows up when required. I dont think any player is worth the kind of money the fish are paying.

The fish front seven is depending on numerous players regaining previous form (Williams, Misi, Jenkins)and/or overcoming injury(Wake, Alonso) – the key to Suh returning to dominance is Williams/Wake and Alonso coming to play and produce.

21. Yeah coach… I stepped on a bug this morning… Stomped him… Working out real hard here..

22. iPads and cell phones are a great way to find out what’s going on with your team. I mean, the only other thing that comes to mind is maybe actually showing up for a team workout acting like you care and showing your teammates that it actually matters to you if you win or lose.

But yeah, iPads…

23. This is getting out of hand. Voluntary workouts are a benefit negotiated in the CBA. I don’t get why when players complain about constraints in the CBA fans are quick to point out they signed off on it but when it’s something fans or management don’t like that benefits the players there’s all this whinning. And it’s not just this issue.

When a player is upset about the franchise tag keeping them off the market fans point to the CBA and shrug..but when a player becomes a free agent as defined in the CBA and signs a monster deal….fans are yelling greedy, not a team player blah, blah…..hardly anyone truly cared that Russell Wilson was playing on a rediculously below market contract before finally being able to sign one that reflects his true market value….shrug..CBA….

One thing I’ve learned about a lot of fans while on PFT is that most are true hypocrites.

24. thejuddstir says:
    May 13, 2016 10:07 AM
    jvonblohnjvb0013 says:
    May 13, 2016 9:46 AM
    Also, Suh had one of his best seasons last year.

————————————————–

____________________________________

Suh was constantly being double teamed last year, not to mention cut blocked (which is now illegal).

You don’t like Suh. I get that. But you could put JJ Watt, or LT or Ronnie Lott or anyone one single player on that team, and the Dolphins would still have been a 6-10 team. They had poor CB play and poor LB play. Also, Wake was gone for half the season.

The only ME thing Suh does is works out on his own during VOLUNTARY work out periods. When he was supposed to be with his team, he was. When the Defense was suffering, he spoke up and lead a team meeting. Yeah. Sounds like a ME player.

25. LOL comparing Suh to Steve Jobs. The latter was innovator who INSPIRED others to think outside the box. The equivalent to Suh would be the loner guy in his cube who writes his own code in the basement and doesn’t participate in any staff meetings but gets paid the highest in the company. No one likes him but they tolerate him

26. An easy way to spot people who never watch Miami Dolphins football — Read the comments in an article about Suh.

Seriously, guy has his best statistical year last year, played a majority of defensive snaps, and people STILL think he’s some lazy Haynesworth second-coming.
    If you’re gonna rip on a player, at least rip someone who actually sucks.

27. ReligionIsForIdiots says:
    May 13, 2016 8:24 AM
    Sure worked well the last three seasons! Bahahaha.
    ———
    According to Pro Football Focus, Suh had his best year ever last year.

28. jimnaizeeum says:
    May 13, 2016 9:56 AM
    Gase didn’t sound the least bit steamed about Suh working out on his own.

——–
    If the rest of the team were as good as Suh, he would probably endorse it.

29. bakeberryjam says:
    May 13, 2016 11:44 AM

If you’re gonna rip on a player, at least rip someone who actually sucks.

————-

So he is ranked 16th against the run and top-5 in pass rush…..yet he is the highest paid D player in the league. Doesn’t seem like such a bargain to me. Maybe that’s why both teams he played for have been cellar dwellers.

30. In Detroit, at least they sniffed the playoffs.
    In Miami, he gets at least double-teamed nearly every down, he didn’t have that nearly as much in Detroit because Detroit had other, capable linemen and linebackers teams had to block.
    Miami has (had) Cameron Wake, and who else besides Suh?
    If you have no threats besides one or two guys then you can double or triple-team those two guys.
    EVERY team that wins the Super Bowl has multiple MAJOR defensive threats, Miami doesn’t have that.
    Welcome to Miami.

31. Steve Jobs was an innovator. He found a way to make people line up to buy shiny garbage produced by child labor at sub-subsistence wages. But, sure, he INSPIRED people. He inspired me to mock dopes who think he did something special.

My point was purely about perception. People (idiots like GRANADAFAN) think of Steve Jobs as being successful, because he did things “different.” So why is Suh a jerk for doing things “outside the box” of your defined reality? Oh yeah, I already answered that, because you are an idiot.

32. What can they say? The Dolphins knew what they were getting when they signed Suh.

33. The clear cut evidence shows in the W/L’s of the teams he plays for.

That isn’t to say he’s preparing for last place. It’s clear however that the Dolphins are.

34. This will be year 2 with his new team. If he performs well this year then where he works out won’t matter.

35. Get used to it Dolphins! Suh never has been and never will be a team player. He is in it for himself.

Yes he always does show up in excellent shape and prepared to go for the season, but that’s not the point. By not showing up he’s failing to show respect to his new coach and his teammates.

Same crap, different city.

I am so glad I don’t have to defend this jag off anymore.

36. angrylionsfan says:
    May 13, 2016 3:42 PM

Same crap, different city.

I am so glad I don’t have to defend this jag off anymore.
    ———-
    Meanwhile, the lions gave up more points per game than the Fins.