With Jon Runyan running rules department, the fox is running the henhouse

Getty Images

On one hand, former NFL offensive tackle Jon Runyan is a curious choice to impose fines and other discipline for players who violate on-field rules. On the other hand, who knows the lay of the land better than a guy who wasn’t afraid to take the rules to the limit, and beyond?

Consider the following 2005 interview with the Philadelphia Inquirer, in which Runyan spoke at length regarding his on-field behavior.

The rules are there and you have to push them,” Runyan said. “Every time you push them, they knock them down a notch. That’s the hard part. You know that old line, ‘If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’? It’s that kind of thing.”

That seems like the kind of thing that would have had the NFL to not hire Runyan, given the kind of player he was. Indeed, the on-field disciplinary process works best if there’s an overriding sense of fairness; with Runyan at the helm, players will have to accept the “do as I say, not as I did” mandate from the new boss.

“You have to push the envelope even on a weekly basis,” Runyan said 11 years ago. Pushing the envelope for Runyan included tripping defenders — until he injured himself doing it.

“I’d get out of position and trip people a lot, which is technically illegal,” Runyan said. “I got warned a couple times about it. Then later, I tried to do it and sprained my knee, so I stopped sticking my leg out there so much.”

He may have stopped using his leg, but Runyan wasn’t afraid to use his fist, when necessary.

“I know I punched a guy in the [crotch] once,” Runyan said. “I got kicked out of the game. It was because he pushed me over a pile. It was on a field goal. I was watching the kick. The kick was already gone. [Jerry Ball] took two hands to my face mask and pushed me over the pile. I couldn’t get up off the ground because everyone was underneath me, and I just swung at the nearest thing I saw.”

He’ll be swinging for wallets starting this fall, and it will be interesting to see whether he applies the rules strictly or whether he exercises discretion in recognition of the fact that football inherently is a rough-and-tumble profession, where some of the best players are the ones who get away with as much as they.

44 responses to “With Jon Runyan running rules department, the fox is running the henhouse

1. Makes one wonder how law abiding he will be as an ajudicator? He sounds like a contradiction of law and order. Good luck NFL! Keep hiring folks who are not watching after the good and the order of the Universe and the betterment of Mankind.

2. “That seems like the kind of thing that would have had the NFL to not hire Runyan”

Actually it sounds like exactly the type of thing that would make the league choose him, “See how reasonable we are? We even picked one of your own.” Don’t kid yourself, Troy Vincent was a player once too and a former Eagle as well.

Let’s not lose sight of his congressional connections in his selection either.

3. Well, if there’s someone who can spot a dirty player and knows all the tricks, it’s Runyon. Suh and Burfict might as well start writing checks to the league not to save time.

4. In the interview, only one question was asked:

“Does Tom Brady deserve to be suspended?”

Runyan obviously answered yes and the rest is tainted history.

5. Wow. They can’t help themselves! Are these guys all related or something?

6. This could be a fantastic thing….perhaps some toughness will return to the game and not every little transgression will be fined.

Can already here Brady whining…”Waaaa….the big bad nose tackle came to close to my knee!!!!….Whaaaaa!!!”

7. “I know I punched a guy in the [crotch] once,” Runyan said.

Think of the children! On second thought, don’t. What colorful adjective did he actually use in the interview that you felt it necessary to “clean up” for all our eyes?

8. key2heat says:
    May 17, 2016 4:48 PM

Typical Philly Eagle behavior.

————————————————-
    Typcial troll behavior

9. Got to love Runyan. Man he was a tough one. Linemen pushing the rules is as old as the game its self. And thinking of how tough he is for some reason makes me wonder how Jon Martin even got into the NFL. That spoiled mama’s boy was not football material.

10. You know that old line, ‘If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’? It’s that kind of thing.”

I can only assume that is an accurate quote from Jon Runyan. My next question is, “Why didn’t the Patriots ever trade for him?” Is not like there would be any adjusting to do once he got there.

11. ReligionIsForIdiots says:

Carson Wentz will be a hall of famer.
    ================================

But apparently you think he’s an idiot. Since, you know, he said his Christian faith is number one in his life.

12. trailerparkking says:
    May 17, 2016 5:21 PM
    Pats fans are probably doing back flips.

Hardly. Yet another guy in the league office who lost big games to the Pats.

13. This pick actually makes incredible sense. Who do you hire as your computer security guru? The best hacker out there. Same thing here with Runyan. He knows every which way to cheat and get over. Great pick!

14. you pats fans make me laugh, every move the NFL makes is now a conspiracy against the pats?

So quick they are to forget how the NFL handed them their first title and covered up the biggest cheating scandle in the history of the NFL durring their other titles.

A entire room of tapes taken by ” craft employees ” of other teams signals distroyed at the command of Roger Goodell, the guy pats fans hate so much.

If anything you pats fans should be bowing down and kissing rogers shoes.

15. He was also a Congressman (R) from New Jersey’s 3rd district from 2011 – 2015.

Admitted Cheater, Politician, now NFL Head of Discipline, lol.

16. “You know that old line, ‘If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’? It’s that kind of thing.”

It’s getting almost to the point of a cheat code for unlimited ammunition of happy fun jokes at the expense of Thomas Edward Patrick B.and William Stephen B.

17. I’ll admit that he’s not the first guy that I would think of for this job.

But o-linemen know the game, and its rules, pretty thoroughly.

And I know you’ve reprinted his statements from that interview because the are in such stark contrast to what we should expect from a guy who now must enforce the rules, but none of it is all that shocking. I don’t know how the Runyan of 11 years ago was supposed to know that the Runyan of now we be in charge of enforcing the rules.

And if we had a nickel for every o-lineman who punched, mauled, or tripped his opponents and then bragged about it, we’d have a pretty big bowl full of nickels.

18. Drunkraider,
    They’re completely delusional and are the type of people who always have an excuse or someone to blame for their shortcomings. That is the Northeast elitist mentality. Just ignore them, they aren’t capable of having adult conversations.

19. This is the kind of attitude O linemen should have.

Probably a dying breed as the “safe space” generation moves in.

20. While you will find no bigger believer of the First Amendment and the freedom of association, I think Runyan’s Republican ties and support for Trump disqualifies him from holding any gainful employment with the NFL or, really anyone else in a position to make good money at a job, because like every Republican he will ruin as many lives as his can in support of war for oil and empire.

21. briang123 says:
    May 17, 2016 6:34 PM

you seem to have lost it dude!

22. Alan Page is a judge. He used to be a member of the Minnesota Vikings Purple People Eaters defense. He was very mean and nasty on the field, a complete gentleman off it. And very well respected too.

23. briang123 says:
    May 17, 2016 6:34 PM
    ……………………………………………………….
    ha ha ha , you’re one of the non football people the league has been changing the laws to attract .

24. key2heat says:
    May 17, 2016 4:48 PM

Typical Philly Eagle behavior
    ————————
    Missed by just a level.

Played his college career at Michigan where playing outside the rules is not only permitted, but encouraged.

25. “The rules are there and you have to push them,” Runyan said.

If Goodell had heard this I’m sure he would’nt have been hired. In fact, if Goodell had even been aware Runyan was a former player he wouldn’t be anywhere near the league office.

26. Do as I say and not as I do……it takes one to catch one….If you can no longer do; teach….keep your enemies close…….

So many reasons this is a good hire……….

27. abninf says:

——-

There’s **a lot** of idiots in the hall of fame. It’s not quantum physics, it’s football.

28. How much did “ol carrot top’s”s salary go down, now that he is not unfairly punishing all players for trivial offences? 30 k fine for wearing wrong color shoes is nothing but BS.
    Safety should have been primary concern. Players must play on dangerous substandard fields, and regardless of whether a different shoe might help reinjured limb, make sure you wear right color.