Owners head to Charlotte despite bathroom law controversy

Getty Images

The NFL’s owners head to Charlotte this week for quarterly meetings, undeterred by the ongoing controversy regarding House Bill 2.

The law that requires people in governmental facilities to use bathrooms matching the gender on their birth certificates has prompted multiple musical acts to boycott North Carolina. It has not caused the NFL to change the location of the May meeting.

When owners and/or other representatives of each team gather at the Ballantyne Hotel on Tuesday, chances are that they’ll be asked about the situation. The responses will show whether and to what extent the NFL has issued talking points to the team — and whether and to what extent the teams are complying with them.

Giants co-owner John Mara, one of the most influential figures in the league, has said that he personally finds the law to be offensive, but he questioned the impact of changing the location of the meeting. There should be no question; it would have been a big deal, and it would have created major news.

But it also would have potentially been viewed as a sign of disrespect toward Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, who is still smarting from the colossal failure of his effort to keep the Rams out of L.A.

Ultimately, the desire not to make matters worse with Richardson could have been the reason for the league’s decision to stay put. The inevitable quotes that will emerge from Charlotte this will shed plenty of light on the topic.

85 responses to “Owners head to Charlotte despite bathroom law controversy

1. I can’t believe this is even a topic. Its really very simple: if you have male parts, you go to the men’s bathroom. If you have woman parts, you go to the women’s bathroom. I find it very sad that you get “offended” over the name Redskins, but I find it equally pathetic that where you go to the bathroom is even a debate. Absolutely pathetic.

2. I have no idea who said it but one of the elected representatives said that we can’t govern based on peoples feelings because we can never be sure that we know what someone’s feelings are. However, we can tell what anatomy they have.

Make sense to me!

3. niners816 says:
    May 22, 2016 1:46 PM

– – – – – – – –

4. The solution: make all bathrooms equal; Urinal troughs in both bathrooms and two toilets with no privacy screens. Feel free to use whichever fixture suits your abilities.

5. If you’re a man you use the men’s room and if you’re a woman you use the women’s room. That is not controversial, it’s common sense.

6. The NFL wants to expand into China.

But yet the NFL does not care that China Kills over a 1000 people a year for going against the government.

All the NFL cares about is the Billion people in the country.

7. Well, I have feelings too. So therefore what I say goes. And here it is: I don’t find it unreasonable for women to not want a man who consciously and of alleged sound mind decided to have his male parts chopped off and dress in drag, to use the same facilities that are extremely private and involve a degree of nudity.

Which side is waging a war on women again??

8. If this law was really about keeping children safe, it would ban pedophiles, not transgenders, who have pretty much the lowest incidence of being pedophiles.

9. OK let males dressed as females to enter any bather they wish & you’ll find girls get raped,NOW also with the law is states locker rooms SO tell me how many parent want there 14 yr girls to shower with the boys or boys with the Girls

NOW if you where a BOY who had his parts cut off than GO ahead BUT as a Father & Husbandmen I will be out side the bathroom stall

10. If you are a man go to the MEN’S room, if you’re a lady go to the LADIES room, there is NO Hatred here, just common sense.

11. At the rate everyone is getting offended by everything our society will cease to exist.

Tomorrow is a new a day, I cant wait to find out what should offend me that didnt matter 3 months ago.

12. As with many of us, i try to limit the amount of time i spend in a public bathroom, i am oblivious to my surroundings its in and out. And not sure if NFL owners give two u know what about this, as most people as well.

13. Hopefully none of the owners follow my daughter into the bathroom.

Now that would be true controversy!

14. As Marvin said in Pulp Fiction, “man, I don’t even have an opinion”.

15. Welcome to the America of 2016. Where virtually everyone is supposed to be offended or has been discriminated against by something or someone and if you are not it is only because apparently you have not been properly educated as to just how put upon and oppressed you really are.
    Common sense is no longer just an oxymoron, it has now progressed to the point of being a super power.

16. If they boycotted every state that has a stupid law on the books, they’d have to hold their meetings on Mars.

17. What a joke…. Socially correct has become, in a word, nauseating!!!!

18. Is there a single picture out there of John Mara that doesn’t look like he needs more fiber in his diet?
    In any case it makes for the perfect picture for a story concerning bathrooms.

19. I was at the planet Hollywood in vegas a couple months ago and mistakenly strolled into the women’s restroom. I got about two steps in and a woman in there looked at me and said, “Excuse me.” Obviously I turned around and went in the correct restroom. Now, if that happens, I will just let her know she is a bigot for even suggesting that I don’t belong there.

20. Those of you who are equating the civil rights of transgendered Americans (who aren’t drag queens) to the nonsense PC crap about the Redskins name are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Human sexuality is not black and white as much as your feeble minds want it to be. It has more to do with whats between the ears and not between the legs. And this was never an issue until the right wingers lost their crusade against same sex rights and are now picking on an even smaller segment of society are most vulnerable to attacks from the knuckle dragging mouth breathers commenting here.

Let’s get back to football.

21. As in any major public controversy, there is more to this than what hits the news. And as any good lobbyist knows, the trick is to get agreement on a mildly controversial issue which is actually intended to create a slipary slope.
    So the mildly controversial aspect of transgenders using the bathroom that they identify with is that it can reasonably be said that (at least in the woman’s bathroom) little harm is done because there is generally little to no public nudity. What happens generally happens behind closed doors. Not in all cases but most.
    The slipary slope is when this gets accepted, the same transgender also not only expects to be able to play on the team they identify with ie a boy identifying as a girl wants to play on the girl’s soccer team, but also expects to be able to use the girls’ shower and changing facilities. And to do so without restriction ie they won’t accept special accomodations that provides a closed off area for them to change and shower in private.
    So that means the one born male student who identifies as a girl, expects the other 20 or so born female 14 or 15 or whatever age students on the team to just shut up and accept it.
    Now you may think this is an exaggeration. But think again and look it up on the Internet. A school is going through exactly that issue right now at the risk of losing their federal funding for non compliance.
    Anyone that has had a daughter going through that age period knows how traumatic it is at the best of times. But it isn’t even age related. The laws, unless interpreted differently, currently protect that (supposedly). Of course, the opposite is true. A born female that identifies as male, would expect (and may be forced) to use the men’s showers/changing facilities. And who would be responsible for the probable resulting rapes that would occur?
    So don’t get sucked in to the PC blathering that is so readily accepted in news articles against HB2 in NC. Read about what the next step is (already here) and what will come after that and see if you have the same opinion. If you do, so be it, you are entitled to it.

22. niners816 says:
    May 22, 2016 1:46 PM
    ================================
    I bet that someone like you would be the first to freak out if some blonde with huge boobs stood at the urinal next to you.

23. Having females use one restroom and males another– How shocking!! What has happened to people’s brains?

They should hold the press conference in the women’s bathroom just to show how stupid this supposed controversy is.

24. The last thing we need is NFL owners using the same bathrooms as normal people.

25. Everyone misses the point. There was no problem. When legislatures waste time with nonsense it’s at best a waste of time and tax payers’ money. At worst it’s a distraction from other schit they’re up to. Big money has a stranglehold on NC politics, and part of their agenda is to drive a wedge between voters.

26. More GOP politicians have been arrested for sexual misconduct in bathrooms than trans people.
    Maybe what we need here is a third designation; Men, Women & Republicans.

Besides, this was never about bathrooms, the same way it was never about water fountains in the ’60’s.

27. If you were born a girl and have been living as a boy since a very young age…. Then you need a psychiatrist and your parents need to be imprisoned for allowing you to do so. Do people really wonder why other countries hate us and think we’re the devil?

28. While transgenderism is indeed one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard of, as a guy I think I prefer this law if it will keep these weirdos out of my bathroom.

29. The owners need to address the issue of the Raiders to ensure 2016 is their last year in Oakland. They should expand Sam Boyd Stadium so it can be a temporary home for the Raiders. No point wasting anymore time in Oakland. Oakland has zero to offer. APPROVE THE RAIDERS MOVE TO LAS VEGAS!!!!!!

30. I actually remember a time when… get this…..

You would come to this web page for football news and rumors. The writer would actually explain the ramification of those rumors, and how and why it was important to a football nerd like myself.

31. I’m not surprised, considering that these billionaires own a huge number of public restrooms.

32. The comment sections at PFT have looked like comment sections at the Blaze recently. Right wing nuts.

33. buchopeful says:
    May 22, 2016 2:18 PM
    …If you got an operation to change that, then thats your fault, don’t make the rest of the civilized world pay for your choices.

Agreed. What is worse however is the guy in Federal prison who decided to go through with “the change” and got fixed and all the follow-up drugs and procedures on tax payer dollars.

Would have been better for us in the long run to take him up in a helicopter and dump him out the door at 100 feet and be done with that clown.

34. themanfromtheblacklodge says:
    May 22, 2016 1:54 PM
    niners816 says:
    May 22, 2016 1:46 PM

– – – – – – – –

Jeez, read the post. He said “if you HAVE male parts”. I doubt he meant if you had them cut off and carry them in your purse….

35. The great thing about the third option bathroom is that hardly anyone will ever use it. When the line is a mile long and people are using the sinks…hey this transgender bathroom is wide open.

36. When did every single part of life become a political statement? If they scheduled a meeting in NC, let them meet in NC, for God’s sake. A meeting is not a political stance. It’s a meeting. Get over it.

37. magnumpimustache says:
    May 22, 2016 2:04 PM
    The NFL wants to expand into China.

All the NFL cares about is the Billion people in the country.
    —————————————————————-
    As of May 22nd 450 have been killed by law enforcement in this country. Not even half a year on the way to matching China. Kind of comparing Apples to oranges, I know, but I thought I’d share that startling statistic. BTW I hate the NFL for being Class A hypocrites. No problem setting up a franchise and star player but don’t want to hurt a billionaire owners feelings? Good grief.

38. How about keeping Roman Catholic priests and bishops out of all public restrooms.

That’s about as silly as this whole restroom issue.

39. What if someone was born male but no longer has “male parts” and has been living as a girl and woman most of their life? Would you expect them to go into the men’s bathroom? Should women have to share the bathroom with a man because that man was born a girl, but has been living as a boy since they were very young?
    ———————————————-

If you would like to believe gender is ambiguous, that’s your problem. House Bill 2 was introduced to keep persons that would like to re-engineer society in their place.

40. Hey Giants fans, you have an owner that wants grown men to urinate next to little girls.

41. Florio’s Lawyer says:

Guess what?
    The bathrooms in your house are gender neutral.
    ===================================

Yeah, in a private setting, not a public setting. That’s the weakest arguement I’ve read from you people yet.

42. I wonder if the elites are following protocol with their restrooms.

I did notice they have walls and armed security, but tend to be hypocritical about extending those rights to others.

43. TheWizard says:
    May 22, 2016 6:06 PM
    I wonder if the elites are following protocol with their restrooms.

————————————————————-

I’m an elite and I assure you we follow protocol.

Frankly, this is a great issue to keep you little people distracted while we take all your money.

I might get fined for telling you that. But I don’t care. I’m elite.

44. 1pavikingfan says:
    May 22, 2016 3:37 PM
    Kennedy put a man on the moon. Obama put men in the women’s room.
    ===============================
    quote of the day

45. So I can “self-identify” as a democrat, go inside the democrat convention, raise all kinds of hell and they won’t be able to touch me b/c I’m a “democrat” and the laws do not apply yo me since I’m a “democrat”.
    I can go into the women’s bathroom with all the butt ugly democrat women and make them uncomfortable while they use the facilities.

46. “but seriously, all you people out there that have, lets say, a 10 year daughter (or sister, etc), are you comfortable that some men can claim that they are transgender and can follow her into the ladies room? Seriously? Thank God my daughter is well into her 20s …”
    —————————————————————-
    Let’s say I have a 10 year old son, brother, etc. Are you comfortable that some men claim not to be pedophiles can follow him into the men’s room? The world will be a much safer place when we can start reading peoples minds and their sexual preferences.

47. realityonetwo says:
    May 22, 2016 4:03 PM
    While transgenderism is indeed one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard of, as a guy I think I prefer this law if it will keep these weirdos out of my bathroom.-
    ——————————————————————
    Being the uncle of an intellectually gifted 16 year old girl who is now in the process of transitioning into a male after nearly dying from anorexia caused from the internal turmoil of looking one way but feeling another her whole life, in my eyes, your statement is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard of. Hardly a weirdo she almost died because she feared reactions from those ignorant and unwilling to learn. It took a lot of guts to make that decision and it saved her life. Instead of seeing people as weirdos because they were born unlike you, try seeing them as they are. Human beings who feel and hurt. Ignorance doesn’t choose who to strike either. But for the grace of God.

48. This site makes me wish there was a liberal version of Adolf Hitler —of course there never would be since irrational thinking is the center of conservativism. That and self loathing and weakness.

49. Here’s a solution, start actually learning about the Politician you’re putting in office other than they are Republicans or Democrats. All Politicians. But no. Sheep will keep putting people like Pelosi, Reid, Ryan and obama in office. Use your own mind and voting power or quit complaining ..

50. “We should just get rid of bathrooms altogether.”

New York City has done this. You are free to relieve yourself anywhere you like.

51. “This site makes me wish there was a liberal version of Adolf Hitler”

Hitler was a socialist, dummy. The same people that are at the center of this irrational piece of social engineering.

52. In the past I use to ask for Happy Meals for a ‘Boy’… since you have to declare sex so you don’t get a girl toy when you have a boy. Today I asked for a happy meal for a boy (for my kids)…. and they said ‘all toys are now Unisex’

Ugh… whats wrong with this country!!!!

53. Controversy? Gimme a break. First, do you realize that the percentage of transgenders in the US is minuscule, estimated at 0.003%. Now I don’t want anybody’s rights to be trampled but where 0.003% of the population decided to drop a deuce is hardly an issue that deserves to be described as controversial.

Sometimes I swear, Obama’s Administration goes out of its way to pick a fight to show how caring they are. I don’t know what the 0.003% did before the law but I respectfully suggest they continue to do that because nobody even noticed.

54. My grandfather just rolled over in his grave. Could you imagine the WWII generation dealing with this crap? They would laugh at our pussification, light up a heater and tell a dirty joke.

55. Pure and simple-this is a left wing agenda topic.
    Most democrats could care less about the transgenders issues-they follow like sheeple-they follow party lines.

This is much less a transgender issue, as it is a security/safety issue for young girls and women alike. There are MANY cases across the U.S. that involve issues with pedophiles that are waiting in women’s bathroom-taking pics or filming young girls in stalls. This is the lowest of the low, and yet, those democrats that so adamantly want these types of laws passed-do NOT want to confront the largest issue-SAFETY for young girls and women.

It is common sense. If retail stores want to push this agenda-they should commit to genderless bathrooms-similar to San Francisco. The trangender community feels safe in that environment and young girls and women feel safe that not just anyone can walk in the bathroom freely.

Wake up America-it is common sense!

56. firerogergoodell says:
    May 22, 2016 4:29 PM

bridgeh2osays;

Uhh…..dude…..you haven’t been payin attention.

MOST the posters are right leaning from the gun control issues, to the REDSKINS “controversy”, to the bathroom issue.

You must not have a 10 year old daughter.If you did, and you would verse yourself on the many arrests across the country having to do with pedophiles taking pics of naked young girls and women in the open bathrooms, then that is your fault.

That is the sickest of the sick, and if you believe that is ok, then you are the problem with what is wrong with America.

Keep America Safe!!

57. codiablo says:
    May 22, 2016 7:21 PM
    ____________________________________

You are a real hatemonger. And you are irrational.

58. This bathroom policy is vastly misunderstood and is being politicized to distract people from the real issues affecting those who do need access to bathrooms that corresponds to their self-perceived gender.

There are so many variations now about sexuality and how one looks and how it corresponds to gender. No longer is there a man/woman distinction. Our genetics say there is, but the psyche says differently and now we have a thousand permutations.

Going by appearances only, this was never an issue and you went to the bathroom, did your business, got out. Now we have men walking in but they have a female organ underneath, and vice versa. It’s a problem.

The only way to fix this issue it to have single use open bays where you go in, shut the door, do your business, get out. One person / one user. It will gargantuan reingeneering project nation wide, but it needs to get done to shut everybody up.

When I go to my doctor, there is one bathroom in the lounge area. One room. Men and women and children use it. You go in, shut the door, then get out.

59. Considering they’re an NPO, hence don’t pay taxes, they should stay out of politics.

60. Maybe, just maybe, the NFL is realizing this whole transgender bathroom issue is utter crap. Its not discrimination, its just a right and wrong issue.

61. Let a Charlotte resident explain to y’all how this all came about.

Charlotte City Council (9 Dems, 2 GOPs) and Mayor Jennifer Roberts (D), crafted a revision of the city non-discrimination ordinance to include sexual orientation and sexual identity as protected classes. This included the “bathroom clause” that allowed people to use public restrooms of their gender identity, even if that differed from the gender on their birth certificate.

The NC House (super-majority GOP) and Governor Pat McCrory (R, and former Charlotte mayor for 14 years), called a special legislative session and wrote, approved and signed House Bill 2 all in 1 day. (Geez, I didn’t know we had any politicians with that kind of speed.) HB 2 effectively negated the Charlotte city ordinance by including language that decisions on discrimination were to be made at the state level only.

That is when all hell broke loose. Here are the problems.

1) Roberts and the Charlotte City Council attempted to answer a question no one was asking, as there had been no reported widespread abuse of transgenders in public restrooms. So the ordinance was unnecessary to begin with.

2) The House and Governor badly over-reacted and passed a bad bill that robbed local municipalities of some power to govern themselves.

3) Serious hypocrisy has ensued. Just about every entity that has cancelled business in Charlotte is very willing to conduct their business in places like Saudi Arabia and Russia, where a gay person can be arrested for as little as walking down the street. So you’ll do business where LGBTs are routinely discriminated against but not in a place that has this “bathroom law?”

Not only that, but the boycotts are misguided, at least the ones against Charlotte. It was the city of Charlotte who tried to enact additional LGBT protection, and the state politicians in Raleigh smacked it down. So why would you boycott Charlotte? (Adam Silver, are you paying ANY attention?)

So we have a city passing an unnecessary ordinance, a state legislature that over-reacted with rotten legislation, and a bunch of companies and performers who hear only half the story and start up boycotts, even while doing business in places that are FAR worse for the people they claim they are standing up for.

So yes, I’m glad the NFL kept its meeting in Charlotte. It was the right thing to do.

62. Also a native Charlotte Resident,

The bathroom part of the law was to get a bunch of morons panties all up in a wad. Something everyone will talk about and not talk about the rest of the Bill. The rest of the law was about letting businesses discriminate lawfully and not just against transgender. Also prohibits people from suing in State courts for discrimination. ( Going to a Federal court is way more expensive. ) It also stop Cities from making the minimum wage higher even if the people in that city want it and vote for it. These are bought politicians and are proving it daily. It’s disgusting.

63. My father and Two Uncles who all fought for this country in WWII and Korea are spinning in their graves right now.

The way the Left is insistent on RUINING this Country in Mind Numbing.