Rams still talking contract extension with Jeff Fisher, Les Snead

AP

Apparently six or seven wins a year is enough to earn a contract extension in Los Angeles.

The Rams will engage in contract extension talks with head coach Jeff Fisher and General Manager Jeff Snead over the next couple months, Vincent Bonsignore of the Los Angeles Daily News reports. That’s nothing new; those contract talks have reportedly been going on since February.

In their four years running the team together, Fisher and Snead have gone 7-8-1, 7-9, 6-10 and 7-9. That’s usually a record that would lead to a firing, not a contract extension.

But Rams owner Stan Kroenke seems to want stability in Los Angeles, and so he doesn’t want to make a change at the top any time soon. Fisher and Snead are entering the final seasons of the five-year contracts they signed in St. Louis in 2012.

If Fisher and Snead continue to produce six or seven wins a season, they’re not going to keep their jobs forever. But from all indications, they’re going to remain in charge in Los Angeles for years to come.

69 responses to “Rams still talking contract extension with Jeff Fisher, Les Snead

1. One of the most overrated coaches in the game today. Hasn’t accomplished anything except for a super bowl loss approaching 2 decades old yet teams want his mediocrity over and over.

2. I don’t like the Rams so I hope they extend both of them.

I also hope Goff isn’t a complete bust, just a mediocre QB, so he can keep them at 8-8 for many years to come.
    Hopefully he is an injury free Sam Bradford.
    Pay him and he doesn’t produce.

3. Fisher would be stupid not to stay. You know the NFL will give the Rams a SB win for moving to LA within the next five years.

4. Jeff Fisher is like Howard Johnson hotels, or Wendy’s restaurants. You see the mediocrity and keep asking, “Why? There HAVE to be better options.”

5. Why?

Jeff Fisher is the most overrated HC in the NFL. He should have been fired two seasons ago. He used to be a .500 HC but he can’t even get the Rams to that point in over five years.

6. They must have photos of Kroenke with farm animals, especially Fisher, who must have photos of all 32 ownership groups and Goodell.

7. Why in the world would they want to extend a losing coach’s contract? It’s like extending the contract of a CEO who’s company is losing money every year.

8. Jeff Fisher has helmed 2 winning seasons since 2004. Why doesn’t my boss want to pay me more when I turn in 2 above average performances in 11 years? 🙁

9. Fisher being called an overrated coach or Hillary Clinton reminding us she’s a woman. I don’t know which I’m re-told more often.

10. I wonder when Jeff Fisher’s contract runs out… He definitely hasn’t done enough to earn an early extension. He’s still the same 7-9/8-8 machine that he was when we was with the Titans.

11. Oh, as a Titans fan, this is great – the Titans have the Rams’ first round pick next year!

12. @ ampats says:
    Jun 9, 2016 9:32 AM
    Why? ————————————————————————————————————————-
    LOL – you beat me to it!

13. Fisher is pretty mediocre, BUT how may coaches could take the Rams teams of the past 4-5 seasons to .500?

It’s not like he’s had a lot to work with.

14. Jeff Fisher has only three division titles in 21 years! He is also only 10 losses away from the all time loss leader for a head coach.

15. Wait until LA fans really get a good look at this bunch. And wait until Kroenke starts demanding those TIFs to build his palace complex.

16. I am a long time Rams fan, and I am tired of the losing seasons. But as someone who has actually watched most of their games over the last 10 years, I can honestly say Fisher and Snead cannot take most of the blame. They inherited Bradford, and a team with almost no talent. If you look back, they have hit on several great Draft picks, and are finally fielding a team with some talent. There are not many teams out there that have success without a legit franchise QB. They took a huge risk with Goff, and hopefully that works out. That being said, now they should be held accountable. They have built the team, and if it fails now, they are on the hook. I say give them 2 years from now. If we still are losing, they go. This year will be hard to judge by with a rookie QB, but we should get an idea of things to come.

17. Stan is way ahead of the curve on this one. Why would he pony up for a high quality coaching staff or expensive free agents when he can make just as much money with an inferior product? His cut of the TV revenue pie is the same regardless.

18. Seriously does Fisher know where the bodies are buried or has photos on someone?

20+ years coaching .521 winning percentage, 3 division titles, SIX playoff appearance and a Super Bowl appearance in 1999. I sure he is a great guy but man I just don’t get it.

19. I always thought Fisher was a good coach until it was pointed out to me that his win/loss record is horrible. One Super Bowl loss is the highlight of his career. His players are always known as the dirtiest players in the NFL.

20. Anything beyond a one year extension is just silly on the part of Stan Kroenke. Fisher better hope that Jared Goff is worth what they gave up for him or he is going to be on the street.

21. So a coach gets fired after 1-2 years, it’s too soon. A coach is given more time, it’s too much…so PFT, what’s the magic number then? 3?

22. I honestly don’t understand the leagues infatuation with Jeff Fisher. He’s consistently a 7-9 coach. He has that one superbowl appearance and required a “miracle” to get there. I just don’t get how he keeps getting work

23. canadianfan33 says:
    Jun 9, 2016 10:01 AM

———–

Sorry….Fisher sucks.

24. Jeff Fisher is a quiet Rex Ryan……he can coach the hell out of a defense but has no clue when it comes to the other side of the ball….with a superstar at RB, play makers at WR and a great D you should win more than 7 games…..he beats very good teams but can’t bet the average teams…..that is the coaches fault, his teams play to the level of the competition….he beats Arizona and sweeps Seattle but loses to Bears, Ravens and Skins….. I would have fired him last yr but this has to be his last chance….he gets the extension or his pink slip at the end of the yr….

25. Actually Fisher is being extended for shepherding a franchise relocation, a headache few would want to take on.

Keep in mind Fisher once went 56-24 in a five year stretch. That was a long time ago, but I wouldn’t assume he can never win again.

26. feckyerlife says:
    Jun 9, 2016 9:45 AM
    what a great way to remind the fans that they are getting the same crappy team that left them the first time.
    *******************************

EXACTLY………. This team is fractured from the owner on down if they think Fisher is the answer to anything but mediocrity. I won’t even watch this abortion on TV let alone pay for parking, overpriced seats and overpriced concession stands.

27. jimmyu says:
    Jun 9, 2016 9:55 AM

______________
    Good call; we should all pull for him to catch Dan Reaves. Now granted he is tied with Don Shula in career losses but he is 159 games behind in wins.

28. I know there are a lot of Fisher haters out there, but honestly, what would you do? Your team, who happens to be one of the youngest teams in the league, just moved to LA. All the temptations that will be there for these young, and suddenly famous kids, will be a test. Fisher is known as a players coach, and has shown he knows how to handle the young players. The way he waits to sign the contracts until he has experts in to explain all the new situations they will face is genius. This is a safe, not sexy, choice by Kronke. The last thing this team needs is another change. As I stated earlier, give him this season and next. Let him help with the transition, and then reassess. This team may finally be on the way up, why make a move that could derail that.

29. I feel so bad for the minority coaches and GMs that don’t get this benefit, especially coming from an organization that has the longest drought of never hiring a minority coach or GM in its 80-year history.

30. All I know is Jeff Fisher arrived in Tennessee in 1997. Here’s what followed:

1999 Season: Super Bowl
    2000: 13 and 3 (playoffs)
    2002: AFC Championship Game
    2003: 12 and 4 (playoffs)
    2007: 10 and 6 (playoffs)
    2009: 13 and 3 (playoffs)

Since he left after the 2010 season, my Titans have gone from making the playoffs every couple years to stinking up the joint. Every. Single. Season.

31. backintheday99 says:
    Jun 9, 2016 10:10 AM
    Jeff Fisher gets a Participation Trophy for all of his NFL accomplishments.

Sorry, the only participation acknowledgement is in Lucas Oil Stadium.

32. Stan Kroenke when he did an interview regarding his Arsenal club “I didn’t buy the team to win trophies.” That must be his logic about all of his sports teams.

33. They should have snagged Loser Lovie while he was available. Guaranteed top 5 pick every year.

34. I wouldn’t trust Fisher any more than HilLIARy Clinton.

They keep reminding us how great they are and their record speaks otherwise.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!!!

35. Sorry Rams! This won’t cut it in LA. Stick with those 2 losers and watch LA just lose complete interest in professional football again. Maybe it’s time for Goodell to directly intervene in franchise matters here. If he is truly concerned about “integrity of the game”. Especially with the USA’s largest media market at stake here. I agree with esteemed LA columnist Bill Plashke. Who literally called for dismissal of both Fisher and Snead as a qualifying factor in the move. He and most people felt a complete break with that losing legacy needed to happen to give the Rams a clean & exciting new start in LA. The Ram’s owner need to wake up and smell the coffee here. He’s propping up losers. And giving mediocrity a false sense of security.

36. tennesseeoilers says:
    Jun 9, 2016 12:43 PM

All I know is Jeff Fisher arrived in Tennessee in 1997. Here’s what followed:

1999 Season: Super Bowl
    2000: 13 and 3 (playoffs)
    2002: AFC Championship Game
    2003: 12 and 4 (playoffs)
    2007: 10 and 6 (playoffs)
    2009: 13 and 3 (playoffs)

==============

Fisher became HC of the team in ’95. He was there for 16 years yet somehow you only managed to list his 6 winning ones. hmmmm…wonder why that is

37. One of the most overrated coaches in the game today. Hasn’t accomplished anything except for a super bowl loss approaching 2 decades old yet teams want his mediocrity over and over.

not just today, perhaps ever… He is the definition of average. Also, that Super Bowl that you were referring to? He only got to that game thanks to 1 of the most flukey/questionable calls in history. But he did get there so I cant take that away from him… But yes, He is very, very average at best.
    And if Goff is a bust, there will be more of the same

38. What have those two done except lie in St. Louis and help the team move to LA ? Lets get to the point……. Jeff if you and Less play along with me and get me to LA , I don’t care how many games you win , who you draft or what kind of players you bring in , Jeff you can coach and Less you do whatever Jeff tells you, you
    can both stay as long as you want. Signed The King of California.