Joey Bosa “didn’t win one rep” at first NFL practice

AP

If anyone wants to know just how much better NFL players are than college football players, ask Joey Bosa.

At Ohio State last season, Bosa was one of the best players in college football, which is why the Chargers took him with the third overall pick in the draft. But at his first NFL practice, Bosa was one of the worst players on the field.

“It was completely different,” Bosa said, via the San Diego Union-Tribune. “You’re going against monsters out there. . . . The first day I didn’t win one rep in pass rush probably.”

Bosa said, however, that he already feels like he has improved enough that he can start to play his game.

“Now, I’m really starting to get a hang of it again. My moves are coming back,” Bosa said.

Chargers coach Mike McCoy said Bosa’s athleticism has already made the coaches say “wow.” They expect him to be a great player, but no draft pick steps on the field and is great at his first practice.

73 responses to “Joey Bosa “didn’t win one rep” at first NFL practice

1. They expect him to be a great player, but no draft pick steps on the field and is great at his first practice.

Barry Sanders had a good laugh at that. Barry missed all of training camp his rookie year because of contract negotiations. Proceeded to run for 18 yards his first carry. Ran for a TD his 4th carry. And won rookie of the year and could have won the rushing title but chose not to because he isn’t a me guy like most modern day athletes.

Barry was simply amazing

2. He should have said. “I won as many reps as the Vikings have won world championships”. It would obviously be the same thing just spoken more poetically.

3. If he’s having trouble agains’t the Chargers’s O-Line in practice. This doesn’t sounds good against better O-Line …

4. I remember Bill Parcels giving an interview saying, the first practice Lawrence Taylor ever participated in, he was already the best player on the team.

There have been others players that fit this mold, Deion Sanders, Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss. etc.

5. If I was a Chargers fan I’d probably want to hear a little humility out of a key rookie like this. Usually when you hear ridiculous stories about high draft picks dominating in mini-camp they grow up to be Mark Sanchez.

6. The fact that he said this tells me he’ll be fine. If you’re the 3rd overall pick, and your first day you’re telling people “I’ve got lots of work to do” you’ve got the mindset (and most likely the talent) to be great.

Good luck, kid.

7. Joey Bosa “didn’t win one rep” at first NFL practice
    =====================
    Draft pundits are drooling over that headline. The Chargers simply didn’t do what they were supposed to do. So many of them had Tunsil mocked to the Chargers (that means in their minds, it was MANDATORY the Chargers select him)

When it became obvious the Chargers weren’t going to select OT because they signed big contracts to players already on the team (this information was right on the Chargers website at the time) the experts mocked yet another OT (Ronnie Stanley) to the Chargers. One draft expert who had “first-hand” knowledge of Telesco’s draft plans said drafting Stanley was a done deal.

8. Um, these are “underwear” reps with no pads. You can’t honestly measure a players ability either way. Maybe wait till August when they actually start playing football.

9. I laughed with glee when SD took Bosa over an OL or Buckner. Buckner is going to be a force to be reckoned with

10. Barry sucked at the goal line, too many negative plays that were drive killers…give me Emmitt Smith any day of the week. I need a consistent 4 yards a carry, not a human highlight reel.

11. To respond to that Barry Sanders post…it’s been proven that Running backs adapt to the NFL better than any position De is usually one of the hardest to adapt too so kinda unfair to compare the two positions!!!

12. B U S T, like the whole organization..Raiders and Broncos-3 SB wins, even the lowly Chefs have 1 SB ring..but the Chargers? hahahahaha..none, ZERO, and yet they all came out the same year..sad

13. Bosa is from ohio state. ohio state is not noted for producing physical specimens, even though they have the most knowledgeable man on the planet that trains some of the strongest men on Earth right down the street.

14. nwofolife says:
    Jun 12, 2016 6:35 AM
    Barry was simply amazing
    __________________

Amen. I’ve been watching football for 50 years, seen a lot of great RB’s come and go. Barry Sanders was simply the best. There was no game pass when he played and the Lions were a good not great team so not all that many Detroit games were sent to the NY market but when one was my buddies and I (all Giants fans) would make an event out of them just to watch Sanders.

15. Those were Bosa’s words and he was probably just being modest. That’s a great attitude for a rookie to come to camp with. Meanwhile, the coaches were raving. Bosa played on an Ohio State defense that featured about 11 future NFL players, yet he still received constant double teams. They were strictly coached to be disciplined and stay in their position. Not much free-lancing going on. He’ll actually have a lot more sacks in the NFL than he did in college.

16. I’m sure QB Philip Rivers felt good knowing the guy his GM drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil, can’t even get to him on day one…not good.

Ole Phil is going to get smacked around this year and the Chargers management drafted a player who can’t get around the teams turnstile tackles that other teams had no problem doing last year.

Charger football is going to be fun to watch this year.

17. I was watching a good segment yesterday where NFL Network was actually discussing football. It has Shawn Ohara and Willie McGinest talking about this exact issue of rookie DE and offensive lineman.

Coming out of college rookies take nearly all camp to figure out the subtle things on the line like stances, hand fighting and tells. Basically the veterans whup them until they figure this part out. By the sounds of it what Joey Bosa is talking about is pretty common in training camp.

18. I just got back from visiting my grandparents.

They are huge Raider fans and they were telling me all the badass stories (grandpa’s word–he’s old school) about how good the Raiders used to be. He has one of the shoulder harnesses with the spikes on it (who cares if its a little rusted?) He tried to put it on, but he couldn’t lift it. Grandma showed me some pictures of herself with paint face and a Raider jersey. She actually looked pretty good, but then that was long ago.

I had so many questions. “Grandpa, the Raiders were good at one point? When? I’ve been watching them for 15 years and I’ve only seen them lose. ”

“Well, youngster” (that’s what he calls me) “lets see, that was about 35 years ago, I was just a young man then . . . . . wait, what were we talking about?”

“The Raiders granddad, you were telling me about how they haven’t had a winning season in 15 years. . . “

19. gobolts says:
    Jun 12, 2016 11:07 AM
    I just got back from visiting my grandparents.

you have NO HISTORY of winning..NONE…ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you came in the league the same time the Raiders did and you can’t manage to catch them in SB wins after 57 seasons??? whats up with that?..LMAO!!!!!

20. 57 seasons. Lol, it looks like I’ve upset someone.

In those 57 years, the Raiders have won a measly 20 more games than the Chargers.

Raiders: 444-397-11
    Chargers: 421-420-11

21. Agreed nite2al (in spite of all those thumbs down). Never understood Sanders’ appeal. A look at his stat line usually showed like 110-120 yards in a game on 23-25 carries. But he’d get 65-80 of it on one carry. That’s like 45-55 yards on 22-24 carries. He barely cracked 2 yards per carry on the majority of his touches. Moreover, in spite of his heralded elusiveness, he got caught behind the line of scrimmage a lot. Especially in his two playoff games.

22. Drafting a excellent college football player from an excellent college team is always risky because having a good supporting cast sometimes makes the player look better than they really are. This might be the case with Bosa.

23. The Bolts did win one championship, the 1963 AFL Championship. They beat the Patriots 51-10 in that title game.

24. Like father, like son?

His dad, John Bosa, drafted first round in 1987 (I think) by the Dolphins, flat out sucked, then a couple of years later got injured and never really came back. Some fans though blamed Shula’s DC, Olividotti, for that however.

Shula was one of the greatest HCs ever, but he was also (as with Belichick) the GM so-to-speak and responsible for the Dolphin drafts, and I must say a good number of Shula first rounders were complete head scratchers…other than Eric Kumerow, Bosa was one of the biggest of all!

Good luck, Bolts!

25. this cannot be true, because prior to the draft he was telling us he was the best player coming out this year.

does everyone else suck too?

26. I love the NFL clown college of fans who are calling a guy a bust before he’s even taken one snap.

You guys are great entertainment keep up the textual garbage spewing

27. samsonthebeard says:
    Jun 12, 2016 6:35 AM
    He should have said. “I won as many reps as the Vikings and chargers have won world championships”. It would obviously be the same thing just spoken more poetically.

***************

Fixed it for you

28. Its sad that a NFL team clearly aspires to being decent to good with virtually zero confidence by its team officials, coaches, players, and fans that their team will realistically contend for the SB.

Of course, there are those annual pretenders to the NFL throne who always predict they will get to the SB but never deliver on the feild of play such as the Vikings, Bears, Bengals, Dolphins, Cowboys, Redskins, Falcons, Buffalo, Chiefs, and Jets (before HC Bowles)

29. Barry was a great runner but not a great running back. He could not be counted on to block, or to run a pass pattern out of the backfield or a short yardage situation. He was not a team player……he slept in team meetings and in the end he walked out on his team and team-mates. I will take Walter Payton any time. I will bet that Joey Bosa will be a very good football player.

30. When Julius Peppers came into the (2nd overall pick 2002)NFL, John Fox’s coaching staff had to have a talk with him about not killing Jake Delhomme in practice.

31. I’m pretty sure the 2016 offensive player of the year Ezekiel Elliot stepped onto the field and had a good first NFL practice.

32. 57 seasons. Lol, it looks like I’ve upset someone.

Raiders: 444-397-11
    Chargers: 421-420-11

3-2 in SBs
    0-1 in SBs

duhhhhhh

33. reyoung54 says:
    Jun 12, 2016 12:05 PM
    ——————————————

Did it ever occur to you that it’s hard to run when you have two guys in your face as soon as you get the ball? Watch some old Emmitt Smith film and notice how he is never touched in the backfield. If he and Sanders could have swapped teams, Barry might have had a 2500 yard season.

34. privatecowboy says:
    Jun 12, 2016 2:57 PM

—-

That must have been a confusing conversation for Julius considering Jake Delhomme wasn’t even on the Panthers’ roster in 2002.

35. dreadpirate88 says:
    Jun 12, 2016 5:37 PM

reyoung54 says:
    Jun 12, 2016 12:05 PM
    ——————————————

-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v-v

or watch some current AP film or some of his younger days he gets alot of neg yard plays but he doesnt slow down the defenders do. thats why his 3-4th quarters ypc are higher

36. gobolts says:
    Jun 12, 2016 11:41 AM

57 seasons. Lol, it looks like I’ve upset someone.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    In 57 seasons, the Raiders have established a 55% winning percentage against the chargers.

By the way, that’s regular season. The Raiders playoff winning percentage against the chargers is 100%

The greatness of the Raiders is in the past and the future. The chargers – their just another mediocre football team filling up broadcast space on game day

37. As a Charger fan, I didn’t like this pick from day one. Still, it is way too early to call Bosa a bust.

As for the Chargers’ spending a huge some of their salary cap on the offensive line, it doesn’t matter how much you spend, it matters how well the line performs. They should have drafted offensive line their first pick. I seriously doubt Dunlap makes it through the season concussion free.

This just further proves the point that the Chargers had no business drafting a running back in the first round (Gordon) last year.

The Chargers have had issues with the offensive line going all the way back to when AJ smith was in charge.

It doesn’t matter what skilled players you have, if the core of the team (the big uglies) isn’t up to the task of protecting them.

38. If you’re calling Bosa a bust because of his assessment of his own workout in his 1st ever offseason practice in the NFL you don’t know anything about football. #facts

39. If you have to rely on technique and moves alone to get pressure, then being taken in the 1st round was a reach, 3rd overall a major reach. You should expect someone taken in the top 5 to come in an shine day one.

40. Apparently no one informed Melvin Gordon of this???

=====