Jim McMahon thinks marijuana can help retired players

Getty Images

Jim McMahon, the quarterback of the Super Bowl XX-winning Chicago Bears, had an injury-plagued career and has suffered with a host of injuries in retirement. But he says he has found something that really helps: marijuana.

McMahon was on a panel of former NFL players at the Cannabis World Congress and Business Expo in New York City, and he said there that NFL players need to get off opioid painkillers and get on marijuana.

“There’s so many uses to this plant,” McMahon said, via the New York Daily News. “Hundreds of thousands of people are dying from [painkillers] and there’s not one case of people dying from the hemp plant.”

Former Giants defensive end Leonard Marshall offered similar thoughts.

“My quality of life has improved because of this,” Marshall said.

Despite many former players — as well as at least one current player, Eugene Monroe — advocating for marijuana use, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has said the league doesn’t plan to change its policy of considering marijuana a banned substance.

“It’s an NFL policy and we believe it’s the correct policy, for now, in the best interest of our players and the long-term health of our players,” Goodell said in February. “I don’t foresee a change in that clearly in the short term.”

Despite that stance, American society is becoming more accepting of marijuana use, both medicinally and recreationally. Active players aren’t allowed to use it, but retired players will.

90 responses to “Jim McMahon thinks marijuana can help retired players

1. Hmm…Rog doesn’t seem to care about long term health when it comes to concussions but smoke a little weed and now he’s the surgeon general.

2. McMahon is correct. The NFL shouldn’t test for it. In 2011 Von Miller tested for PEDs and marijuana (and of course later bribed another urine tester). The marijuana test shouldn’t count against Miller, just the PED test.

3. A couple of thoughts on this, from a business point of view:
    First, Marijuana use and distribution is illegal in the US, rightly or incorrectly, still illegal.
    Second, the Asset Forfeiture Act is still in force.

The scenario: The NFL allows employees to use Pot freely without league repercussions. The Foxboro Police Department and DEA raid Gillette stadium and finds a bunch of pot in the locker rooms prior to the AFC championship game. All the players possessing said pot are arrested and hauled off to jail for booking, missing the game due to legal issues. The ame would have to be played under 8-man football rules.
    Under the Asset Forfeiture Act, Gillette Stadium is seized as a drug distribution facility, which would then allow it to be auctioned off, with the cops keeping the money. Look at all the new toys the cops could buy with that money. $$$$$$

Just something to think about.

4. Tough to argue against. Also ludicrous that it is not used more often for minor to intermediate arthritis. It doesn’t necessarily get rid of the pain but it does help you to focus on things other than the pain. Btw anyone surprised Jim McMahon smokes and more probable than not smoked during his playing years?

5. First, Marijuana use or sales are not illegal everywhere in the US.

Second, employers are not required to make sure their employees don’t use weed or any other illegal drugs,…that falls under the purview of law enforcement, not employers…..everything based on that assumption is nonsense.

6. Wow. A retired player known to be a heavy user is championing marijuana use. This is not exactly news.

While I personally don’t care for it, I would love to see weed be legalized, taxed, and regulated- much as tobacco and alcohol have been.

Generally, I expect the notion that marijuana use (by itself) to be less harmful over the long term than either alcohol, or opioids, to be virtually uncontested at this point. But I don’t understand when people describe weed use as if it were some type of sacrament.

Additionally, while I know several people from different walks of life who successfully use marijuana recreationally with little or no negative effects, I can say that EVERY single person that I have ever known that did have an illicit drug addiction (meth, cocaine, crack, heroin, etc.), started their experience in illegal drugs with marijuana. This is not a small sample size, mind you. I’m talking about well more than 20 individuals. I believe that is perhaps part of the reason weed gets a bad rap.

My two cents for whatever it’s worth.

7. NFL will never allow this because to many players not needing it will abuse the privilege. I live in California and use MMJ but since it has been legalized for medical use its being abused by many that are only using it for the purpose of getting high and not for medical reason. We even have Doctors that set up booths at the swap meet selling these medicinal marijuana cards and they give you a flyer listing a bunch of symptoms for it so you know what to say when you get up there. But all in all its not legal in most states so players would purposely sign with a state with it legal rather than a state it’s not. So it will never happen.

8. The weed issue is simple. If you live in an area where it is legal then you should be able to smoke it unless you’re working or operating a motor vehicle. However, if you live in an area where it is illegal and you get caught using it, then you should be arrested on the spot.

9. Goodell can say he doesn’t think this is going to change in the short term, but he is wrong. Society is moving fast on this issue, faster than most people realize. Currently, the public sentiment is in favor of legalization. In five years it will seem abhorrent that the NFL is trying to prevent its former players from obtaining the medicine that can clearly help them.

And that is because it is abhorrent. These people could have fulfilling lives after football by using marijuana instead of opiates, but the NFL is forcing them to put themselves in near drug comas to avoid the pain they could easily avoid with a plant that doesn’t incapacitates them.

Unfortunately, Goodell is more concerned with politics than actually helping his current and former players. The good news is that when the political reality changes, so will Roger’s tune.

10. The gateway drug thing is a fallacy. Causation vs correlation. Weed doesn’t lead to other drugs, people who want to get high start with it because it’s relatively easy to get. I know more people whose first experience was with huffing than weed.

11. It can probably help current players too, but we wouldn’t want that to happen because drugs are bad, mkay?

12. Nobody is saying the NFL should distribute it or allow it in their locker rooms in states where it’s illegal. They should just stop testing for it so that players who want to use it don’t end up losing millions in suspensions. If some players can get it legally that’s fine too. Just stop testing for it. It’s 2016, nobody cares about pot. It’s less dangerous than drinking and has proven medicinal uses.

And the argument that it’s a “gateway drug” was dispelled countless times in modern studies. Take that nonsense somewhere else, Gramps.

13. It’s a neuro protector, it does not cause brain damage. If you INGEST Cannabis, this is how it helps you. Smoking kills 80% of the medicinal value. No, it is not a gateway drug, except for the guy on the street selling it will hook you up with the dangerous drugs, that’s how it works. Alcohol is a much bigger gateway drug. I’ll leave you with some study material to educate yourselves = USA PATENT 6630507. Yes people, your own Fed Gov that tells you it’s illegal, has a patent on the plant. ENDO CANNABINOID SYSTEM…do your homework.

14. The NFL can’t change its position. If marijuana is to made legal, it must come from a national level and only then can it serve as an alternative to opiods.

Personally, I think the NFL needs to look into Blair Walsh’s drug test because what else can explain missing a 27 yard FG to win a playoff game? Saying its the same old Vikings is not a valid excuse.

15. Paper Lions says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:32 PM

First, Marijuana use or sales are not illegal everywhere in the US.

————————–
    In rebuttal:
    First, Marijuana is classified as a schedule 1 drug under US law as listed by the DEA, which, for the uninformed, overrides any state or local law. That makes it illegal to possess or sell ANYWHERE in any territory of the USA under federal law, with resultant criminal penalties.

Second, I run a trucking company that hauls HAZMAT materials; chemicals, fuels and low level nuclear wastes. Under USDOT regulations, I am required to piss test my employees randomly. A failure of a piss test requires me to terminate their employment under penalty of fines and loss of trucking authority.

google is your friend folks.

16. Marijuana is pretty much allowed in the NFL as well as any other street drug. You get tested once a year between May and August. If you can’t stop for that long you probably have a problem anyways. Trust and believe your favorite player probably hits the weed every now and then if not all the time.

17. Wow! The “Enforcer” is against the use of pot but embraces opiates. Can this moron be wrong on more issues? Mother Nature, Ray Rice Videos, Stealing over 100 million from the players association, Concussions, Marijuana….on and on it goes….Oh sorry Haters, I forgot, the ONLY thing he is correct on is the Brady suspension.

18. Lingsun says “It cause permanent brain damage.”
    He doesn’t clarify so I assume he means playing in the NFL causes permanent brain damage, which it does.

There is no evidence, I’m aware of, of MJ causing brain damage.

19. Goodell is a corporate stooge whose aperture of consciousness is restricted to making money and being the powerless face of a huge corporation. Outside the halls of the NFL, he is a sallow faced clown. Not a leader, not a wise man, not a visionary. He cares nothing for players, or really the game. All he cares about is the fantasy of power he lives by, and has spent his entire life desperately pursuing. The NFL, and society in general would be fine if Roger Giidell’s opinion on anything except massaging the ego of billionaires for your own benefit was a curiosity of his audience.

20. The sad thing is very few people realize just how bad the drug epidemic is in our country, whether it is weed, cocaine, meth, or whatever else, and it is killing the morality of our people every single day.

21. The federal government says it’s illegal…so the nfl has to follow suit…simple as that IMO.

Can’t have the team physicians with prescription bottles of cannabis traveling over state lines when it’s still a schedule 1 drug…(yes I know the story is about retired players)

22. Cannabis has been used medicinally for over six thousand years. It’s safety and efficacy are well documented. Cannabis is the original “Wonder Drug”. We need our so called representatives in Congress to step up and relegalize Cannabis once and for all.

23. I have done the research. Marijuana does nothing to relieve pain. But a joint will plant you in a couch for a couple of hours.

My research you ask? I went and tore my Achilles. Then I smoked pot 3x a day for the next 2 months. Pot did nothing for the pain.

You know what did work for the pain of a torn Achilles? Percocet. That worked great. Except for the constipation. That part sucks.

But if you are going to ice your foot for a half hour, watching TV or playing video games, smoking a joint will help pass the time.

24. willycents says:
    Jun 19, 2016 3:00 PM
    Paper Lions says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:32 PM

First, Marijuana use or sales are not illegal everywhere in the US.

————————–
    In rebuttal:

google is your friend folks.
    ——————————————————–

Yes Google is my friend but it must not be yours. Please explain this to me which is a result of a google search:

“Medical marijuana is now legal in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Of those states, Washington and Colorado have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Colorado’s first retail marijuana stores opened Jan. 1 for sale to people 21 years and older.”

Now, I’m in no way shape or form condoning or supporting MJ but just curious about your statements and what actual reality is.

25. “I have done the research. Marijuana does nothing to relieve pain.”
    ——————–

All it took was your 2nd sentence to invalidate your first.

26. The greater picture is this: Many decades ago you couldn’t see anyone without a cigarette in their hand as a normal course of action multiple times a day in life.

There was no evidence they are addictive or even harmful. That was the 1940s

That’s where we are right now with weed.

And guess what happened. as the 40s turned into the 50s and then the 60s, that’s when it was realized they are in fact addictive and slowly hurt you over years.

Then the 70s gave way to the 8os and 40 years later the science was finally there that cigarettes are harmful.

Right now with weed, we are 1940 with cigarettes. We look at old pictures of the Mad Men generation, our grandparents, and see old holiday pictures with a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other and think omg what were they doing, why was it like that??

THAT is why people are anti-legalization. Instead of waiting 40 years for your own grandkids, that came from your probably 5 different baby momma/daddys, to be saying “omg why did they smoke weed so bad and why was it a daily addiction”.. some feel it is better to stop it now as cigarettes should have been done with.

Many of us remember our parents and grandparents hacking up a lung and running out of breath and smelling like an ashtray thinking what is wrong with you why would you live like that where clearly this is bad; so we are seeing, in different ways the same thing: look at you daily high people, multiple times a day, what is wrong with you and why would you live like that where clearly this is bad.

It’s a cop out to say the science isn’t there to say weed is bad; It is in fact there. It’s at the early stage of all science in that it can be argumentatively disputed at this point because it isn’t further along enough yet. Just like the science wasn’t there in the 1940s but the science ultimately was decades later.

Same thing with weed in our current history. Anyone with one sober brain cell can see how bad weed is, the science is there that it’s not good; it unfortunately takes decades to finally be believable.

That’s where we are with weed, a direct analogy with 1940 and cigarettes.

You don’t wait until it’s too late, that’s why it should never be legalized for recreational use. If it does relieve pain, yes then by prescription. Publicly, no.

27. This thread is proof that most of the posters on this site are morons. Nobody is saying teams should grow their own marijuana behind the benches and then pass it out after the game. Simply that the NFL should accept that some players use if for medicinal purposes and the NFL should stop testing for it. If they want to get a prescription (in a state that allows it), fine. If they want to buy it somewhere else, fine. Just stop treating marijuana like it’s cocaine. After all, it’s better than having 1/3 of your league addicted to narcotic pain killers.

And to those saying it’s federally outlawed and that supplants states rights, you’re correct. But there are literally hundreds of federal laws on the books that aren’t enforced. Quite often the US government doesn’t want to interfere with sovereign states’ rights – especially in “petty crimes”. The FBI stopped shutting down cannabis clinics in CA a decade ago.

These “it’s not medicinal…it’s morally wrong…it’s a gateway drug” arguments are ridiculous. Grow up and accept that you lost the battle.

28. Because Goodell & Co. have cut big deals with Big Pharma that line their pockets that would make FIFA blush green with envy and they’re not even for one second gonna consider giving up that cash machine for some simple plant anyone could grow.

29. xdolfan says:
    Jun 19, 2016 4:26 PM

________________

It’s not Goodell. It’s our big business Republican controlled Congress that Big Pharma’s lobbyists
    have paid off.

30. The day of SBXX I was living in Maine in an old farmhouse in CORNVILLE – no kidding – and that day it was snowing to beat hell and I had friends over to watch the game and we all got absolutely toasted/fried/blasted to watch the game and it didn’t turn out too well for my Pats.

The grub we consumed (in mass quantities) on that day, for some reason, was absolutely supremely undoubtedly irresistibly – beyond yummy. (We started with prime rib and took it from there.)

That was the greatest Football team I have ever seen and I have been watching Pro Football for almost 60 years.

And they ain’t done NOTHIN!! since. But that was their day.

I don’t touch the stuff any more but if Mac wants to come by he can sit on the front porch (I live out in the woods) and smoke to his heart’s content.

31. Broncoscheated – your 4:22.

I don’t know if you did it on purpose,but your piece reminded me of the scene in the Movie ‘Mash’ during the football game.

Thanks

Lighten up folks.

32. “I have done the research. Marijuana does nothing to relieve pain”

Absolutely, unequivocally, 100% FALSE.

It’s legal in my state. I grow it and make edibles. Since I started doing that 9 months ago I bet I’ve taken ibuprofen 3-4 times. Prior, I was a very regular user of ibuprofen. I’ve also halved my alcohol consumption, with concurrent health positives there.

It’s a fairly miraculous plant. Believe or don’t, but if you are coming from a place of ignorance, stay off a high horse….

A bunch of grumpy old fârts are gonna need to kick off before this can become more mainstream. Fine. We can wait. We’ve waited this long.

33. I’m retired now but when I was still working (construction) I broke a toe one day and the doctor told me to go home and stay off it.

Staying off it was idiotic – that just makes it worse – but I rolled a j or 2 and felt no pain.

And let’s talk about ‘Fantasia’

34. hempoilcures says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:53 PM
    It’s a neuro protector, it does not cause brain damage.

packerenglishmajor says:
    Jun 19, 2016 3:14 PM
    Lingsun says “It cause permanent brain damage.” [but] there is no evidence, I’m aware of, of MJ causing brain damage.
    —————————————–
    Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how many MJ-fans deny the fact that paranoia and psychosis, depression and mere sluggishness, are all overwhelmingly obvious side-effects of long term habitual use of the drug. I’ve seen it so many times first-hand. The problem is especially acute in those who partake from their teens because the brain has yet to finish growing. It’s much worse than alcohol in that regard (though alcohol causes other problems – eg liver damage). But the last thing CTE-affected retired players need is a drug with notable paranoia and psychosis risks.

35. I have no problem with marijuana becoming legal. But, I feel that laws need to be nationally established. Example, if you get caught driving while high, then you should have buying marijuana taken away from you for 1 year. Get caught twice, then never allowed to buy again. Get caught 3 times, then its a minimum 10 year prison sentence.

Things of that such. While we are at it, then we should reinvent the national drinking under the influence scale and set similar standards.

36. I have this whom uses cannabis for medical. He cites anxiety, stomach pain, loss of appetite, insomnia, meditation, headache and joint pain.

The war of cannabis has failed. Time for change on the affront of cannabis.

37. firecracker87 says:
    Jun 19, 2016 3:53 PM
    willycents says:
    Jun 19, 2016 3:00 PM
    Paper Lions says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:32 PM

First, Marijuana use or sales are not illegal everywhere in the US.

————————–
    In rebuttal:

google is your friend folks.
    ——————————————————–

==============================
    The actual reality is as willycents wrote. It is a federal crime to possess or sell MJ. And federal law trumps state law.
    Whether the federal law gets enforced or not is a different matter. But even in states that have legalized MJ, again as willycents correctly points out, USDOT requires random checks for certain employees with immediate dismissal upon failure of the test. And all as it should be. There are just some jobs that you don’t want folks to be under the influence under any circumstances.
    Why is that such a difficult thing to process? Do you really want someone in a position of ensuring your wellbeing to have their judgement impaired?

38. curmudgeon13 says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:44 PM

Alcohol, though legal is the gatewaydrug…..
    _____________________

Get real.

39. Jim McMahon thinks marijuana can help retired players..
    Umm….Retired Players….I believe Jim has NEVER had a mind of ” Age Discrimination “, when it comes to ” Left Handed cigarettes “..!! db

40. “there’s not one case of people dying from the hemp plant.”-well his name would be Bob Marley… but I get his point.
    Drug companies are not out to HEAL people, they are out to make them dependent on drugs.
    Cause in point.
    Opioid painkillers. The drug of choice for years.
    Never forget they used to have Cocaine in Coca Cola and cigarettes were safe.
    I’m Shocked.
    Jim is right.

41. Mj is no where near the driving danger that booze is. Those that argue they are the same level are ridiculously biased or inexperienced.

42. How about you get off the painkillers and dope and just toughen up. 99.999% of the pro-dope smoking crowd just wants to get stoned. The whole medical angle is all they have to make them look legitimate. Same as the pro-abortion crowd who only talked about the babies killed when the mothers life is in danger, which is like 1%.

43. firecracker87 says:
    Jun 19, 2016 3:53 PM

——————————————————–

_________________

Sorry, cracker, but federal law supersedes state law. The preemption doctrine originates from the supremacy clause of Article 6 of the U.S. Constitution. This doctrine states that any federal law, even if it is only a regulation from a federal agency, supersedes any conflicting state law, even if that law is part of the state’s constitution.

44. How cool would it be to see the trainers handing a bong to players on the sideline instead of pain pills?

By the end of the game they’d probably be playing touch football. Not cool.

45. Jimmy thinks weed can help retired players like I think I’m typing on my computer right now.

46. The NFL bans marijuana use because they feel pot is bad for their image. It’s not because they find it’s ineffective or because they are protecting the players, it’s because they worry about the PR hit they might take if they stopped testing for it. And for anyone who says it didn’t work for them, um, great? My doctor prescribed me Vicodin and it did nothing for me. It doesn’t mean I don’t think it works for others and therefore should be banned. Please stop making it about your limited knowledge or exposure.

47. Stop the lie that weed is the gateway drug. Alcohol from our parents bar, or a friends parents bar is the first narcotic people start with.

48. The week before Super Bowl XX, Mcmahon used Acupuncture and everyone thought he was a quack.
    Today, Acupuncture is very common in America.
    Just saying…..

49. Pretty sure he also was an advocate for marijuana use by active players, too.

50. Medical research proves that marijuana has many beneficial properties and it is in no way dangerous, especially as compared with legal drugs such as tobacco, alcohol and many painkillers.

As usual in America, what’s legal and illegal comes down to the ability or disability of business elites to make money. Marijuana can be easily and cheaply grown, and it effectively yields a good-time high and helps relieve pain. As such, it’s legalization would be very threatening to the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries.

Those industries pay big money to sponsor NFL games, and the NFL team owners want to continue milking that cash cow. That is the sole reason why the NFL tests for marijuana use and penalizes players for using.

51. The number of fatalities directly attributable to prescription painkillers is overestimated. Many people, after the drug washes out of their system, make a conscious decision to seek a black market source, where they discover the cheaper and more potent heroin. Even then most die because they get a bad batch of heroin laced with fetanyl, which is 50 times more powerful than IV morphine.

52. @Williecent

The whole Asset Forfeiture Act is a joke. If I violate the law put me make me do community service, probation, put me in jail or subject me to capital punishment. The Feds have no right to seize property or assets that are mine unless I have not paid the taxes they declare I owe. Just MHO

53. Marijuana does permanently damage your brain.
    You see it in every loser druggie that ruins his body with all those cancer producing chemicals in the smoke.

It is so sad to see former players give up on life just wanting to sit around in misery until they die.

There are so many good and beautiful things to do instead of drugs.

54. Because Goodell & Co. have cut big deals with Big Pharma that line their pockets that would make FIFA blush green with envy and they’re not even for one second gonna consider giving up that cash machine for some simple plant anyone could grow.
    ________________

have paid off.
    _________________________

It’s the Republicans AND democrats, don’t forget the president is in on it too.

55. willycents says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:26 PM

A couple of thoughts on this, from a business point of view:
    Second, the Asset Forfeiture Act is still in force.

Just something to think about.
    _________________________________
    Actually, cannabis is legal in 25 states (plus DC). The Justice Dept. has said they will only enforce the laws according to each state. There truly is no reason to think that, as long as players follow the laws in their states, they would ever be arrested. Silly to give a scenario of pot at the stadium…I’m not sure, but I seriously doubt that NFL teams would even allow players to drink at the stadium…why would players have pot at the stadium?

Cannabis is an incredible herb with unbelievable medicinal value, and the odds are that cannabis will be legal at the Federal level relatively soon. If I were the NFL, I’d much rather have my players smoke some medicinal cannabis rather than having them addicted to pain pills. Hopefully it won’t take another 5 or 10 years for the NFL to see the light.

56. jluns275 says:
    Jun 19, 2016 2:33 PM

My two cents for whatever it’s worth.
    _________________________________
    I get the feeling that most of your two cents is based on second-hand information and the result of anti-cannabis brainwashing conducted by our government for the last 80 years. Regarding your “gateway drug” contention, that’s ridiculous. EVERY single person I’ve ever known with an illicit drug addiction started their “drug” experience with tobacco, then alcohol, then cannabis. Blaming cannabis for serious drug addiction is moronic…it’s like saying that every drug addict was born, so birth is responsible for people becoming drug addicts.

There were more than 450,000 deaths in the U.S. in 2014 caused by alcohol (DUI fatalities and alcohol related diseases). There were nearly 11,000 opioid overdose deaths in 2014. There wasn’t even one death in the entire country in 2014 that was attributed to cannabis use.

There is ever-growing evidence that cannabis has more healing properties than people realized in the past. Cannabis not only gives chemo patients an appetite, but there is lots of anecdotal evidence that cannabis in conjunction with diet changes can actually heal certain cancers. It has been used to slow down/stop seizures. It’s oil has cured thousands of cases of melanomas, even stage 4 cases. It’s pain-alleviating properties are phenomenal. Hemp root cream used externally on joints can neutralize the effects of arthritis and pain. It helps millions of people with anxiety issues. I am only an occasional user…maybe once a month for the last 20 years if I’m having trouble falling asleep on a given night. It hasn’t even once had an ill-effect on me over the last 40 years.

I know all of this from personal experience. I am not really an advocate of recreationally-used cannabis, other than it is a far better recreational drug than alcohol…no blackouts and no hangovers…also doesn’t affect balance and/or the ability to drive like alcohol does (this is in no way meant as an endorsement for smoking and driving). I believe that cannabis should NOT be used by anyone under the age of 21. Medicinal cannabis has been legal in WA State since 1998, and I’ve personally helped thousands of people with pain and dozens of other ailments. Over the last 18 years, I’ve seen with my own eyes people get rid of skin cancers and tumors under their skin.

57. jluns275,

Forgot to mention: there are over 480,000 tobacco-related deaths in our country every year. Tobacco truly has no medicinal value, and it doesn’t even get people high. I can at least see why people would want to have a reprieve from reality and choose to use alcohol or cannabis. Life is difficult for a lot of people.

All tobacco does is create a dependency on nicotine. The only comfort tobacco users get from smoking cigarettes is a way to satisfy the nicotine addiction originally created by those same cigarettes.

In all honesty, people should be much more concerned about the use of alcohol, tobacco and prescription pain pills than they should about cannabis that is being used medicinally.

58. bobnelsonjr says:
    Jun 20, 2016 2:58 AM

Marijuana does permanently damage your brain.

There are so many good and beautiful things to do instead of drugs.

_________________________________
    So what is you contention? That using alcohol and prescription pain pills are a much better option than cannabis. You are obviously completely uninformed and most likely brainwashed.

I’ll put my moral character up against yours any day. I have used cannabis as a sleep aid about once a month for the last 20 years. I am not a druggie. I’ve been married for nearly 40 years and raised 4 awesome kids and I am now enjoying my life with my grandkids. I retired at age 56 and I dabble in various small businesses to give myself something to do because I am somewhat of a workaholic.

Where on God’s earth did you get the idea that marijuana has anything to do with organized crime? Medicinal cannabis is legal in 25 states plus DC. In the states where cannabis is legal, there is no organized crime involved at all. It’s similar to alcohol in that sense…during prohibition, organized crime took over the alcohol industry. As cannabis is legalized in more and more states, the involvement of organized crime becomes less and less. It is the result of our laws, not the result of people using cannabis.

Cannabis is the safest “drug” on the planet that can be used to fight pain. And it doesn’t have to be smoked either. It’s oils can be used on the skin or added to foods that you eat. I’m sure most retired football players have aches and pains…what would you have them do? Get addicted to prescription pills? Become alcoholics? There are numerous Bible verses that state that God intended the herbs for healing. Cannabis is one of those herbs.

And just so you know, as players/people get older, a lot of aches and pains manifest themselves. Ailments like arthritis are no fun. You say there so many good and beautiful things to do, but how can old people do these things when it hurts to even walk? Don’t you understand? Cannabis will help people to enjoy the things that you refer to.

You need to get past your brainwashed view of cannabis. It truly is one of the the most incredible healing herbs on the planet.

59. bobnelsonjr said: “Marijuana does permanently damage your brain… There are so many good and beautiful things to do instead of drugs…. Moral character matters. Marijuana by definition is obtained from organized crime. The NFL does not want any ties or connections with organized crime.”

————————–

Brainwashed much, Bob?

You have swallowed — hook, line and sinker — the propaganda fed to you by the DEA and its overlords, the corporate elites of the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries. Congratulations!

Medical research has proven that marijuana is beneficial in many ways. If you want to see really dangerous drugs, you need look no further than tobacco, alcohol and many painkillers.

Marijuana is only illegal because the alcohol and pharmaceutical industries fear losing profits from its legalization. And, by the way, Bob, do you enjoy the occasional cigarette or drink of alcohol? If so, some may view you as being hypocritical in your condemnation of marijuana use as immoral.

60. The unfortunate thing about this story is those who advocate Marijuana use are brain impaired from its use to begin with. How can a blind man intelligently discuss colors? How can a deaf person intelligently discuss music? How can a mute person intelligently discuss the tenor of sounds and speech?

Granted, the druggie advocates can tell all of their anecdotal accounts, but we never hear from them about the medical, impairment, mental acuity decline, and negative lifestyle impact (DUI, car crashes and deaths to others and oneself, physical falls, perception losses, etc) that chronic marijuana use has produced.

Is there any wonder that surrounding states have sued Colorado over the negative fallouts, financial losses, and deaths that Marijuana use has produced? And drug experts continue to point out that Marijuana continues to be proven a gateway drug to heroin and other major Tier 1 drugs for many of its users.

61. bencoates57 says:
    Jun 19, 2016 9:33 PM

_________________________________
    According to statistics from the CDC, there were almost 12,000 overdose deaths due to heroin in 2014; over 5000 from cocaine; almost 20,000 deaths from prescription opioids (number does not inclde any deaths from heroin); nearly 25,000 when including all prescription drugs.

Just so we’re clear, what is your contention? That prescription painkillers are okay as long as patients don’t eventually end up on heroin? Or do you believe that 20,000 deaths annually is an acceptable level for prescription painkillers?

Just so you know, there were ZERO deaths attributable to cannabis (used in traditional methods) in 2014.

62. Marijuana is decriminalized in many states and soon it will be nationwide and the Federal laws will be changed to reflect that. Just a matter of time.
    Should treat it like alcohol legality wise, even though alcohol is much worse and much more dangerous and kills 100’s of thousands of people every year while marijuana kills 0.

63. I can’t tell who is more delusional, the Patriots Hater, or the Marijuana Hater.

What I can tell is that there are a lot of ignoramuses that post here.

64. It appears that some of you not realize that there is absolutely no legitimate reason that marijuana is illegal, and the fact that it is a schedule 1 drug is particularly ridiculous.

I guess watching Reefer Madness was all of the research that some of you needed.