Last month reports emerged that Trent Dilfer was likely to leave ESPN. Dilfer now says he’s not going anywhere.
“A lot of stuff gets said that isn’t true,” Dilfer told TheMMQB.com. “I’ve been under contract with ESPN and I am still under contract with ESPN. I will be next year as well. I will be back, and in fact, doing more of an expanded role. It will be Monday Night Countdown and Sunday NFL Countdown. The Sunday morning thing is new for me. I’m excited to be working with the new guys, Matthew Hasselbeck, Charles Woodson—and still working with Chris Berman.”
That Dilfer and ESPN waited almost two months to deny that he was on the way out suggests that there were talks about his departure. ESPN has made a number of changes to its on-air coverage of the NFL this offseason, with Keyshawn Johnson and Cris Carter departing and Mike Ditka taking on a reduced role.
Dilfer, however, won’t be joining them. He will remain on the air for at least another season.