Plummer regrets calling Jerry an “a–hole,” stands by the substance

Getty Images

Former NFL quarterback Jake Plummer recently called Cowboys owner Jerry Jones a “billionaire a–hole” over Jones’s contention that a link between football and CTE has not been proven. With some time to think about it, Plummer softened that stance.

Plummer said on FOX Sports 910 Phoenix that he wishes he hadn’t expressed his thoughts about Jones quite so colorfully.

“I was in a passionate moment at that time . . . sometimes I might not think everything through clearly,” Plummer said. “It came out, I said it, I’ll own it, I’ll stand by it. I don’t know Jerry Jones personally enough to call him that, which is probably why I shouldn’t have used that word. But, for him to say those things about the absurdity of a link between CTE and brain trauma – it points to a guy who’s trying to protect his investment or is completely out of touch with reality.”

Plummer, who has been advocating for allowing players to use medical marijuana to deal with pain caused by football injuries, stands by that stance. He just wishes he had approached the matter differently.

“I probably didn’t do well by calling him what I did, but hey it’s what happened at that moment and people are talking about it which is a great thing,” Plummer said. “Ultimately we want to save the game, we don’t want to fight the NFL over this, we just want to help keep the game that we all love to watch, and I loved to play. Keep it alive.”

The NFL has so far been unwavering in its view that marijuana is a banned substance for players, whether used medicinally or recreationally. Plummer is going to keep fighting on that front, but he’ll probably stop calling owners a–holes.

56 responses to “Plummer regrets calling Jerry an “a–hole,” stands by the substance

1. I think it’s pretty safe to say that a self-made billionaire oil magnate can be an a-hole when he needs to be. Also pretty safe to say that people call him that all the time and he doesn’t care at all.

2. The 45 year “war on drugs” is even more ineffective than prohibition was on alcohol in the 1920s. It’s just been a means for both major parties to inflate the government bureaucracy. I myself never do drugs because I think they’re self-destructive, but I have no objection if my neighbor does provided he/she doesn’t infringe on my property (and if drugs were legalized then crime would go down because they would be available much more cheaply to users) .

As for Plummer’s comment about Jerry Jones…no need to apologize. Tom Landry had too much class to voice it in public but I’m sure he felt the same way about Jones – which is why he became a Giants fan after the disgraceful he was treated after Jerry bought the Cowboys.

3. “I was in a passionate moment at that time . . . sometimes I might not think everything through clearly,”

I see what you did there Jake Plummer.

4. Tired of these guys whining. Anybody that doesn’t understand going in on the trade off of playing this violent sport probably already has intelligence problems. Then again the lure of fame, fortune, and unlimited adulation is worth the sacrifice.

5. The owners are making so much now that the salary cap has risen thousand fold over the last 5-7 years. The players are reaping those benefits. Look at the FA contracts signed this year by non pro bowl players.

Its clear the game is tough on people and its made crystal clear by the owners, you can play 3-5 years, retire wealthy & still live a great quality of life. The owners aren’t forcing players to play 7-10, 12 years.

6. Are NFL team owners – possibly – tremendous A-holes?
    As surely as the link between head trauma and CTE!
    Is it a wise choice to utter that word out loud?
    Surely not!

7. araidersfan says:

====================================

Yet the people who want to end the war on drugs want a war on guns, as if that would turn out any different.

8. Why go easy on Jerry, Jake? He’d never go easy on you, or any other player for that matter. Some of the owners take the term “owner” far too literally, in my opinion.

9. @hawk3a1 – How exactly is Plummer whining? And, just to make sure, you’re OK with fellow human beings permanently injuring themselves for your entertainment?

10. Whether Jerry Jones is an a-hole or not is beside the point. You can bet he is not the only owner who thinks this way. He is just the only one unfortunately who voiced how he feels or what he thinks on the subject.

11. He’s right though, every last owner is a “billionaire a-hole”
    _________________________________

Unless you were a billionaire.

12. araidersfan says:
    Jul 1, 2016 7:07 AM
    _______________________________________

What drugs are you talking about (which should be legalized)?

13. harrisonhits2 says:
    Jul 1, 2016 8:52 AM

He’s right though, every last owner is a “billionaire a-hole”

————————————————-
    you are right on and we keep supporting them!

14. Too bad that Plummer didn’t have the passion for the quarterback position as much as he has for firing up the nearest marijuana blunt.

15. Why would anyone be opposed to medical marijuana?

What are you people so scared of? Do you all work for pharmaceutical companies?

16. nyneal says:
    Jul 1, 2016 9:16 AM
    araidersfan says:
    Jul 1, 2016 7:07 AM
    __
    What drugs are you talking about (which should be legalized)?

=================================

Most drugs that I can think of. Certainly marijuana. Also no objection to peyote, LSD, ecstasy, etc. (I don’t do any of them myself). Basically I think that drug abuse is a series of bad-decisions but not really much different to killing oneself by sniffing glue or living on a diet of junk-food (both of which ARE legal). And if someone wants to wreak havoc on their own life, that’s fine as long as they don’t harm innocent strangers or violate others’ property – in which case they (which includes turds like Manziel) should be legally prosecuted for such criminal acts (but not for the drug use itself)

As was the case with prohibition, any drug that’s now illegal can currently be acquired anyway by users from organized criminals at prohibitively high costs which leads to turf-wars by the dealers and break-ins into the homes of innocent strangers by desperate junkies who can’t afford their fix. This would not be the case if the drugs (which will be used anyway) can be acquired legally.,,,so in such a case, crime would decrease.

(and to another poster, I agree that banning guns is also not effective)

17. Plummer retreats from his words, but his bizarre behaviors (which have all been downplayed) are all due to his chronic drug abuse that began while he was in Denver.

Many, including Shanahan, were always perplexed that Plummer could read defenses just fine in one series and then in the next one, throw an interception straight to a defender his damaged brain could not recognize.

Now you know why Shanahan so quickly lost all confidence in Plummer that he went out and drafted Cutler right after Plummer took the Broncos to the AFC Championship game.

18. mmack66 says:
    Jul 1, 2016 10:05 AM
    Why would anyone be opposed to medical marijuana?
    ———————–
    The problem is the context: habitual use of MJ leads to a known greater risk of paranoia, depression and psychosis. Given that these are also known risks from concussion-damage/CTE, giving MJ to players and ex-players seems to be the last thing they should take.

19. Marijuana is NOT a performance enhancing drug. Anyone who has ever “partaken” can tell you that. If anything, it is a relaxant that will make you less aggressive, less coordinated and decrease your physical ability. In large enough dosages it is a hallucinogen that would make you unable to engage in any organized sport. Why people continue to categorize it as a PED is hard to grasp. It has to be their total ignorance of the drug and its effects.

Yes, it is still illegal to have and use in most states. That will change soon enough, as the tide has turned. Much to the chagrin of the neo conservative ignoramuses who are now manufacturing “marijuana induced violence” news reports in CO to prove it should go back to an illegal status there. If there is drug induced violence, it ain’t from Mary Jane.

Oh, and to bring this around on topic: Jerry Jones could use a few hits off the bong and just mellow out a little.

20. troylok says:
    Jul 1, 2016 10:36 AM

I think I would rather be known as an a-hole than someone completely out of touch with reality.
    ——————-

There’s no either/or with Jerry.

21. streetyson says:
    Jul 1, 2016 10:58 AM

————————–

Aside from none of that being true, they have low THC marijuana plants these days, so you can stop worrying about “Reefer Madness”.

22. Plummer is like every other pothead. It’s impossible for them to know how it affects them as a user because they’re under the influence. All they know is it makes them feel good. How many drunken idiots think they’re sober?

23. You are no REAL cowboys fan if you bash Mr Jones on a public forum..we dont need u band wagon fans..and trust me we have millions..ive been a cowboys fan for over 45 years and when things go good alot of part time football followers jump on the cowboys wagon…i cant call them Fans cause Fans watch football all the time..im not trying to have this turn into seahawks with their bandwagon 2012s..so if u claim to be a cowboys fan then keep your opinions about Mr Jones out of the public view so u are not adding to the fire of all these haters of Americas team and our 5 super bowl wins

24. Cowboys fans may think they are “America’s Team” but, really, they are nothing more than a second rate franchise and will continue to be until the Jones family moves on to something they truly understand, what ever that might be.

25. Have ALWAYS loved Jake. He got a raw deal in Denver. One of the many reasons for my disdain of Cutler, but I digress. Again, He speaks his mind, and unfortunately, almost anybody who does that in the NFL usually gets booted OUT one way or another. Not a weed smoker myself and I do have chronic pain, but it would not help my particular condition, so I ‘m not going to use it as an excuse. However, for those that need it and can actually benefit from it, I totally endorse it as a medical professional. Jake keep looking like you do and no “backseys”!! 🙂

26. Jones a billionaire a-hole? Now that’s news. No one knew that before Plummer’s comments, besides everyone. Jones thinks he’s the league, mostly due to Roger Goodell sticking him on stuff like the media committee.
    Media types love Jones because he talks a lot. Makes their job easy because he says stupid stuff and takes them to strip joints like Jay Glaser.
    Wasn’t Jones accused of sexual assault a few years ago? Didn’t a woman say he was paying her off but when he stopped, she came forward? The media won’t write about those, will they?