School official suspended after bringing Ray McDonald in to speak to kids

AP

As it turns out, bringing an accused rapist in to a school to talk to high school students may have been a bad idea.

The dubious decision to bring former 49ers defensive lineman Ray McDonald to talk to a group of at-risk students has led to the official who sanctioned it to be suspended.

According to Darin Moriki of the Bay Area News Group, the Hayward school board placed superintendent Stan Dobbs on paid administrative leave while it investigates how McDonald ended up talking to a group at Tennyson High School.

The 49ers cut McDonald after the December 2014 rape allegation, the last in a series of missteps. He has pleaded not guilty in Santa Clara County Superior Court to the criminal charges.

The reaction to McDonald entering the school was not a pleasant one, leading to apologies from the school district, and a subsequent visit from lawyer Gloria Allred, who is representing McDonald’s accuser.

“I never feel like we should have apologized because, like I told Stan, we didn’t bring him [McDonald] in as a role model,” school board president Lisa Brunner said. “We brought him in as a motivational speaker to convey, ‘Don’t do what I did. I screwed up my life,’ so I was mad about that because none of it was done with the board.”

There are plenty of ways to teach object lessons to school children, but bringing someone with pending charges of the kind McDonald has was ill-advised. And now, someone besides the 49ers has to carry the stain of being attached to McDonald’s name.

The Bears gave McDonald a chance to rebuild his reputation, but cut him quickly after his arrest last May on domestic violence charges.

41 responses to “School official suspended after bringing Ray McDonald in to speak to kids

1. If you buy into the whole “let’s let people who have failed talk to our kids” thing, then I see no distinction from using McDonald vs. someone who was convicted, served time and is out for the same offenses.

2. I fail to understand why this is terrible. If he was found guilty and served time it would have been ok, but since charges are pending, and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, that is somehow worse???

Personally I think a guy like McDonald can reach children more effectively than some 60 year old who spend 35 years in prison. These kids know who he is. They watched him play. They witnessed his down fall unfold right in front of them with their own eyes. This isn’t just some guy who speaks, leaves, and they all think, that guy doesn’t know what hes talking about. But who am I to have an opinion…

3. Lets all just bury our heads under our pillows and lie in fear under the blankets. Pretend that badness doesn’t exist and life is all happiness and sunshine. That will prepare the kids for real life.

4. Our upcoming motivational speakers:
    D. Trump – on diplomacy
    H. Clinton – on honesty
    R. Goodell – on integrity

Actually, come to think of it, those talks would be comedy gold.

5. I don’t have a huge problem with this if he seemed genuine in his message. If I could get ray rice to come and talk to a group of kids I would. Everybody has something to teach you and I believe kids could benefit from seeing someone go from rags to riches to out of a job and possible jail time however it’s easy to see the other side of having a felon in the school.

6. treetyson says:

Our upcoming motivational speakers:
    D. Trump – on diplomacy
    H. Clinton – on honesty
    R. Goodell – on integrity

Actually, come to think of it, those talks would be comedy gold.
    ——————————————–
    This definitely has potential. Roger Goodell talking to teenagers about ‘protecting the shield’.

7. bigredgoog says:
    Jul 1, 2016 8:18 AM

———

I disagree. People that have been convicted, served time and then are allowed to “talk to our kids” more likely than not have come to terms with their offenses, have had time to think about what they have done, and have had counseling. And just as important, probably have an established platform about which they will speak.

This guy has pleaded not guilty to a current charge against him…..I can’t imagine what his platform would be…..unless it is Chris Carter-esque in nature.

8. So he brought a sex offender into a school where I am sure he has an order to go no where near a school ?

9. “I fail to understand why this is terrible. If he was found guilty and served time it would have been ok, but since charges are pending, and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty, that is somehow worse???”

—————————————–

yes, it is, much worse. He’s not going to confess his guilt to a bunch of kids is he? So what’s he going to say as a “motivational speaker”? “Kids, don’t do what I did, don’t mess around with the wrong girl”

10. Assuming he was there to deliver the message of ”
    don’t do what I did”, I don’t understand what is wrong with this.

11. How could McDonald’s message possibly be “don’t do what I did when he has plead “not guilty”? That would sure help him at his trial!

12. donterrelli says:
    Jul 1, 2016 8:42 AM
    “group of at-risk students” What is an “at-risk” student?
    ————————-
    I’m a tad surprised you need to ask, and it’d be simpler to google it than post a question! But seeing as several have up-thumbed it: “at-risk” in this context usually means they’ve troubled backgrounds – either they themselves have been in trouble with the law/drugs in the past and/or their home or social environment puts them at greater risk of being either a victim of such trouble or being influenced (by family or peers) to follow it.

13. Man, if you want to hold out a relevant example to kids in the Bay Area of what not to be he is certainly right up there.

14. The whole LOT of them who were in on this decision should be fired.

It’s not ‘don’t do what I did’… The guy is a waking ACTIVE DISASTER who seems to have changed nothing.

Who’s next on line two… Johnny Manziel… but I guess ONLY after July 1, right?

15. markpackman says:
    Jul 1, 2016 9:47 AM

———

I have a hard time understanding how people don’t get that.

Maybe his message to potential perpetrators is one of these:

“Don’t do what I did, even though I didn’t do it”.

or “Watch out for people trying to exploit you, especially if you earn a lot of money”

or “whatever you do, come up with a better excuse than ‘when she said no, I thought she meant yes'”

To potential victims, maybe it’s one of these:

“Watch out for people like me, even though I haven’t done anything wrong”.

or “No actually means yes”

or “If you’re going to press false charges, it’s easier to be successful against professional athletes because you’ll get more press”

16. peytonwantsaflag says:
    Jul 1, 2016 9:26 AM

—————————————–

==================

I guess you are right, having a convicted sex offender is way better…

It doesn’t even have to specifically involve his particular pending charges. But he knows he made bad choices. If he can help those kids, I say let him help those kids. You are arguing that it would be better to just let the kids turn into criminals, than to have someone speak to them. Got it.

17. He probably rolled up in his chauffeured Bentley with a couple of his “ladies” on his arms.

18. It would be different if they left him in the classroom with a group of female students unsupervised. This whole PC crap is got to end soon. They are making a mountain out of a molehill all in the name of political correctness.

19. @hawksfansince77 says:

Next week, Ray Rice speaking on “Self Defense” followed by Ray Lewis on “Knife Tricks”.

At the conclusion of those classes we’ll top it off with a seminar from Chris Brown on how to handle women.

20. I for one think it is more common sense than it is PC crap.

I’m curious….school board president Lisa Brunner said: “We brought him in as a motivational speaker to convey, ‘Don’t do what I did. I screwed up my life.”

Yet he pled not guilty. What on earth can he say, as a motivational speaker, that is supposed to be a positive influence on at-risk kids?

I’m open to being persuaded to change my mind…..but calling it PC crap isn’t going to achieve that.

Please…..enlighten me.

21. I guess you are right, having a convicted sex offender is way better…

——————————————–

yeah, that’s exactly what I’m arguing. I’d rather have all these kids become criminals than let Ray McDonald speak to them. Because Ray McDonald is the only person that can help these poor kids out of their lot.

I weep for this world daily – the only solace I can take is that they you don’t have to take and IQ test to own a computer or voice an opinion.

22. im not a ray Mcdonald fan, but lets try and remember he hasnt been convicted of rape yet…smh geez. if he got through to one kid, its worth it.

23. At-risk kids aren’t going to listen to some straight-arrow nerds who just tell them to keep their nose clean and stay in school. I think it helps to have some bad dudes show what not to do.

24. donterrelli says:
    Jul 1, 2016 8:42 AM

“group of at-risk students”

What is an “at-risk” student?
    ————————

Potential Raiders or 49ers fans.

25. genericcommenter says:
    Jul 1, 2016 12:19 PM

————————–

Like they are going to listen to some millionaire ex-football player.

They could have at least brought in Johnny Football.

26. How can anyone learn that rape is wrong without having a convicted rapist come into their classroom? No other possible way. Tomorrow, kiddies, the child molester and Friday the mass murderer.