Jameis Winston sheds 20 pounds

Criticized as he entered the NFL for being out of shape, Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston is shaping up.

Winston’s father told ESPN that Jameis has lost 20 pounds, and his trainer, Tim Grover, posted the evidence on Instagram.

The picture on the left famously made the rounds before the Buccaneers took Winston with the first overall pick in last year’s NFL draft. The noticeable gut raised questions about whether Winston takes his conditioning seriously enough. But the picture of the right, taken this week, shows that if Winston didn’t take his conditioning seriously before, he does now.

Winston stopped eating potato chips and other unhealthy snacks, and he stopped eating anything at all after 7 p.m. The results are obvious in the photos. We’ll see soon if that translates to results on the field.

57 responses to “Jameis Winston sheds 20 pounds

1. What was more noticeable was the media ignoring the fact that he’s wearing a tight belt in the pic on the left, which made his stomach look larger than it was.

2. When he dominates in ’16, I’d imagine the people that had their heads jammed too deep in the sand to acknowledge one of the best seasons a rookie QB has ever had will finally accept that he isn’t the “bust” thet wanted him to be.

3. All that time running from the police and prosecuters. Gosh its got to be awesome to be able to commit cries as I please like this guy. Nah, Im good

4. I don’t doubt he’s trying and lost a few pounds. But it looks like his trainer is more of an expert in all those “before and after” diet-ad photos where “before” we see a side view of his relaxed gut, and then “after” we see stomach clenched & front view.

I was 6’3″ 220lbs when I was his age and playing football & rugby. But my weight varied +/-10lbs (or more!) depending on in or off-season and the natural high & low biorhythm within that. Hell, at that age & size, I could lose 8lbs by a single afternoon of training and then standing on the scales before properly hydrating.

5. i’d still take Mariota over him in a heartbeat..Mariota is pure class and humble..this clown is in the Cam Newtown mold of me me me

6. kcchefs58 says:

=============================

A tight belt doesn’t give you a potbelly. And you have no clue how tight it was.

7. @Mike Hunt, when has Winston been all about “me me me ” as you say? Certainly not in the NFL, when he stepped in immediately as the leader of the Bucs and had a great rookie season after a rocky first couple games. Winston has always given credit to his teammates and generally avoids attention off the field, I know this to be true because I actually pay attention to the NFL, unlike you.

8. Mike Hunt says:
    Jul 20, 2016 7:46 AM

Soo was this suppose to be an iinsult? A MVP QB that lead his team to the Superbowl with no WRs, where is clown part @?

9. I saw him at chick fil a 2 months back (no pun intended it was a mall food court not many options) and you can tell how much better shape he was in.. Great guy btw very nice

10. It’s pretty obvious some of y’all ain’t got a clue. It’s ok. We’ll see how funny it is when he makes his second straight Pro Bowl and finally gets this team over the hump and into the postseason.

11. There must be like 15 jokes about crab legs on this article, and they’re all lame. To those that wrote them, not everybody is cut out for comedy. Perhaps just reading the comment sections will suit you better.

12. I’ve lived in Tampa a couple of years now. While I’m not a Bucs fan they obviously are all over the news here. I have to say Winston is a great face for this franchise and community. He does a lot of work in the community, very personable and sincere in his interviews. We all know the stories coming out of college but I judge him on what I’ve seen since he’s been here in Tampa which has been great.

13. Pretty sad when a professional athlete needs a “trainer” to get into shape……

14. A lighter Jameis, will mean a faster and more elusive Jameis. I think he is poised for a fantastic season. The Bucs have several weapons at WR for Winston to get the ball to, Doug Martin and Charles Sims are a potent and talented combination at RB, and the additions of Robert Ayers, Noah Spence and Vernon Hargreaves will undoubtedly make that suspect defense much more competitive. I think an 8-8 0r even 9-7 season for the Bucs is achievable.

15. goraidersgospurs says:
    Jul 20, 2016 8:59 AM
    Mike Hunt says:
    Jul 20, 2016 7:46 AM

———–
    The “clown part” was when he showed his true colors and ran away from his own fumble like it was a live grenade in the biggest game of his life!

16. You lame trolls need some new material.. Blah blah crab legs blah blah Publix.. You sound like idiots. The fact remains the kid has had no negative off field headlines since 2014 and is the best young QB prospect since Luck. Matter of fact, he’s SPONSORED by Publix. That’s the only thing you haters can hang your hats on because his play spoke for itself.

17. unclebluck says:
    Jul 20, 2016 9:35 AM
    Pretty sad when a professional athlete needs a “trainer” to get into shape……
    ———————————————————————
    News Flash: Every team in the NFL employs a training staff, including a conditioning coach. All have very impressive workout facilities.

18. Crazy how that “fat guy” threw for 4042 yards, 22 TDs and had an 84 QBR as a rookie. A few teams would’ve loved to have a potbelly QB have such a decent first year.

19. kcl10 says:
    Jul 20, 2016 9:08 AM
    ============================================

Not to take away from his fine season, but using the Pro Bowl as part of your argument doesn’t work when almost half the QBs in the league made the joke of a Pro Bowl.

20. campcouch says:
    Jul 20, 2016 10:34 AM

—————

Are you really boasting about a 22 TD year?

21. Hey, I didn’t see his belly impacting what he did last year, so even better if he’s more fit, and good that guys like Russell Wilson and Cam Newton help him set his mark. That said, there’s still plenty of jack wagons out there who have to comment on Josh Freeman getting terrible after he got skinny (it depends on WHY he got skinny) and no, the crab legs thing was years ago.

Bottom line is the Jameis Chapter 2 coming up. The action begins in the seaside town of Tampa, Florida, the tropical paradise…

22. At least this guy gets ‘it’. Here is a young guy doing what needs to be done to become better in his profession.

More stories like this of actual NFL players and way less of washouts who are not in the NFL.

23. @ kcchefs58 says:
    Jul 20, 2016 7:16 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That’s my excuse! Belt is too tight!

24. campcouch says:
    Jul 20, 2016 10:34 AM

—————

Are you really boasting about a 22 TD year?
    ———————————————–

For a rookie on a lovie Smith team, yes that is good.

Side note, go tell kaepernick’s fans that his highest pass td total is 20. That was in his third year. Now that is mediocre.

25. friscokid49 says:
    Jul 20, 2016 11:22 AM
    campcouch says:
    Jul 20, 2016 10:34 AM

—————

Are you really boasting about a 22 TD year?
    ———————————————–

For a rookie on a lovie Smith team, yes that is good.

—————–
    Now you want to compare him to Kraperpick? New flash: Kap stinks!

26. 22TD’s is 8 more than Teddy Bridgewater but if you ask Viking fans he’s already in the HOF.

I remember when most of you said Jamies was going to be a bust similar to Leaf, Russell, etc. Ready to eat crow? The kid was made for the NFL.

27. tampamac says:
    Jul 20, 2016 10:22 AM

_______________________________________

He will be good. I can see that. Tampa could be on to something…

Its the last part you said that….’since Luck’……What has Luck done? ZERO. but he participates I guess.

28. sunnyd89 says:
    Jul 20, 2016 7:27 AM
    ===================
    Well, they didn’t exactly have a QB whisperer at the head coaching position. Lovie’s QB track record is dismal at best.

I think this year, TB’s offense should be much better now that Koetter is allowed to run the show. Big emphasis on the word “should,” as Koetter has failed in the past.

29. Interesting to note that Marcus Mariota actually added 5 pounds.

Anyways, Winston did better than I thought last season overall, but it started off poorly. Winston’s inconsistent year should not be drawing so much praise from the fans here. One decent last-place year in the NFL, and everyone thinks we should totally drop our “bust” predictions? He still has plenty of time to be a bust. Ask RGIII. He looked even better after year 1 than Winston did…

I’m not discrediting Winston or even predicting that he’ll be a bust, but just saying we really don’t know. He’s hard to predict. Watch out for Mariota.

30. nhpats says:
    Jul 20, 2016 11:37 AM

Brah, go back and re-read my post.

Kap=mediocre.

31. Ex gf now lives in Tampa and has met Jameis multiple times, she said he is a really nice/down to earth/sharp guy. I used to be a hater, but he’s grown on me, and he played damn well last year as a rookie.

32. I was going out of my mind this time last year thinking this guy would be a bust. I WAS WRONG! This guy gets it. He understands that he was given a gift by God to play football at this high level. And he is doing his damnedest to take advantage of the opportunity.
    As he settles into the role as a team leader, he will hold himself and his teammates accountable for the product on the field.

Jameis is no Manziel, JaMarcus or Leaf.
    Fire the cannons!