“Bronco for life” Von Miller says everything is back to normal

Getty Images

With the dust settled on his record-setting six-year, $114.5 million contract, Broncos linebacker Von Miller met with reporters on Wednesday in conjunction with the opening of training camp. Less than two weeks after the protracted negotiations ended, Miller provided an assessment of the situation.

“It’s back to normal,” Miller said, via comments distributed by the team. “I’m ready to go. I’m ready to go play football. I talked to John [Elway] this morning and I told him that I get to play with [receiver Demaryius Thomas] for about nine years. I get to play with [cornerback] Chris [Harris Jr.] for 9-10 years so that’s some of the stuff that I’m excited about. I’m aware of the expectations, but we have high expectations for all of us. I’m ready to get back to work and contribute to the locker room, the same stuff that I’ve been doing.”

On several occasions, Miller reiterated his sentiment from the day the contract was signed — that he’s a Bronco “for life.” But it’s really not a “for life” arrangement. Even under the interpretation of Miller’s deal from those who negotiated it, the commitment may be as little as four years. The Broncos think the minimum duration is only three years.

Miller has played five years; unless he plans to retire after only eight or nine seasons, there’s a chance he’ll eventually be playing somewhere else.

For now, though, all is well.

“Everything is great,” Miller said of his relationship with Elway, whose negotiating tactics at times privately angered Miller. “Everybody know the type of respect that I have for Mr. Elway. I was his first draft pick here. We’ve always had talks. Not only this year, but my first year, my third year, my fourth year; all of the way up until this point. I don’t expect anything to change.”

Will Miller be in shape after skipping the entire offseason program?

“I never got too far away from working out or grinding,” Miller said. “I worked the same as I would during the season or during the offseason. I just had a lot of stuff in between to do, but I feel that I’m in shape. We got a great strength and conditioning staff with Luke Richesson. I’m going to follow their lead. They got me to this point to where I am now. I feel totally confident in my ability to get back on the football field.”

Despite a contract that makes him the highest paid player on the team by far, Miller resisted the notion that he’s the face of the franchise.

“I feel like our locker room should be the face of this franchise,” Miller said. “We got a great locker room. There’s not a locker room like this in the National Football League. Talking to the guys in the locker room that have come from other teams, that’s the first thing they say, that, this locker room is ‘second-to-none’ type of camaraderie that we have in the locker room. The leadership that we have, you just don’t get in the National Football League so that will be the strength of our football team and I’m a part of that.”

Miller definitely will be part of that for at least the next three or four years. And the pressure will be on him more than any other player to chase down and secure about Lombardi Trophy or two.

20 responses to ““Bronco for life” Von Miller says everything is back to normal

1. So when’s he cutting that check to Derek Wolfe; because, you know, he did it for all the players…

2. @boogerhut, et al.

If you insist on using the word queue, you should at least know how to spell it. Your ignorance is stunning.

3. Indybear says:
    Jul 28, 2016 6:35 AM

@boogerhut, et al.

———————————–
    If you expect perfect spelling on comments on a football blog you’re ignorant. We come here to get away from people like you!!!

4. orange and blue own the nfl says:
    Jul 27, 2016 9:41 PM

More than any other player, this guy OWNS Tom Brady.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NE owns a 100,000 acre lot in your head.
    Obsess much?

5. Indybear says:
    Jul 28, 2016 6:35 AM

@boogerhut, et al.

—-
    cue
    noun
    1. anything said or done, on or off stage, that is followed by a specific line or action:
    or
    noun
    1.The definition of a cue is a signal to a person to do something.

Indybear…MIC DROP

6. “NE owns a 100,000 acre lot in your head.
    Obsess much?”

****

Got you to comment on it, lol.
    Which is funny when you think about it. You, a Pat fan, read a story about the Broncos, scrolled all the way to the bottom to comment not on the story, but on my comment. Who obsesses?
    That I care how a player on my team performs against a player on another team isn’t so much indicative of them having “space in my head” as it is me being a fan. Since our division rivals seldom pose a serious threat, and since Brady and the Pats are one of the best teams in the NFL, yes, I think it’s awesome that Von plays so well against them. And since most of you are total dbags, I think it’s fun to jab you as much as I can.
    Cheaters.

7. orange and blue own the nfl says:
    Jul 28, 2016 10:18 AM

“NE owns a 100,000 acre lot in your head.
    Obsess much?”

****

Got you to comment on it, lol.
    Cheaters.
    ————-
    CUE the hater Pat fans 😉

8. crewchief15 says:
    Jul 28, 2016 7:59 AM
    Indybear says:
    Jul 28, 2016 6:35 AM

@boogerhut, et al.

———————————–

Get away from what? knowledge, a grasp of the english language, intelligence. People who can’t spell irritate me, those who refuse to use spell check are hopeless morons.