Chad Johnson is coming back to the Browns

Getty Images

His departure didn’t last as long as his initial stay, apparently.

Former NFL receiver Chad Johnson tells Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that he’ll be returning to the Browns after a short absence to continue working with the team. And he doesn’t plan to leave again.

You really thought I was leaving?” Johnson said. “This is the funny thing. Hue Jackson allowed me to come in as an intern. I never told Hue I was leaving, so he’s stuck with me until they force me to leave. I’ll be here through January.”

Johnson’s explanation conflicts with Jackson’s, who downplayed Johnson’s departure as something the head coach was expecting.

Johnson said he left because he needed to fly to Houston to explain to his 12-year-old daughter that he couldn’t be at the Junior Olympics this week. Cha’iel Johnson, via Cabot, is one of the best sprinters in her age group in the world.

“I had to explain to her, ‘You’ve got to go out there and run well and be able to do so without me being here because I have to be in Cleveland,” Johnson said. “That’s something I needed to be able to tell my daughter face to face, not over the phone, not via text and she has to understand that Daddy has to work. She’s one of the fastest in the world and it would kill her for me not to be there.”

That’s fine, but if Johnson is going to coach on a full-time basis he needs to realize that plenty of personal sacrifices will have to be made, because the hours are much longer, the pay is much lower, and the glory is much more scarce than it is for players.

47 responses to “Chad Johnson is coming back to the Browns

2. Board Member 1: I’ve never heard of half of these guys and the ones I do know are way past their prime.

Charlie Donovan: Most of these guys never had a prime.

Rachel Phelps: The fact is we lost our two best players to free agency. We haven’t won a pennant in over thirty-five years, we haven’t placed higher than fourth in the last fifteen. Obviously it’s time for some changes.

Board Member 2: This guy here is dead!

Rachel Phelps: Cross him off, then!

3. The Truth says:
    Aug 1, 2016 7:42 PM

——————————
    Belicheat? Very, very original! How long did it take for you to come up with that? Pure genius!

4. Seriously, go to the friggin’ Olympic meet you clown! Daughter happiness < your happiness. This type of selfish behavior from AA fathers is the main reason black kids are disadvantaged in this harsh world.

5. So he missed work to fly and tell his daughter he can’t go to the track meet because he can’t miss work. Interesting logic.

6. He just can’t stand not being the center of attention, so much that he’s going to miss his daughter run in the Junior Olympics. Just when you thought he couldn’t be more of a tool he proves that he is.

7. The Truth says:
    Aug 1, 2016 7:42 PM
    ————
    This is the type of hater, where even dedicated, long time haters say ‘ I hope I don’t sound that dumb’ .

8. The Truth says:
    Aug 1, 2016 7:42 PM

First off You Moron tell me where in this post it says or has anything to do with the Patriots .

Wow some of these moron haters go to the extreme to show just how badly the jealously & Envy still reigns supreme.
    Dam the Patriots own you losers

9. Chad probably needs a paycheck. Probably broke or near it like many retired players.

10. Wouldn’t it be better to fly out to see his daughter running, rather than disappearing for a couple of days to tell her that…he won’t be able to travel to see her running????

11. Kinda backhanded remark about sacrifice when apparently he did by telling her…to her face, that he needed to work. If he calls or texts, he’s a bum, but he did a loving thing and he’s still a bum? He’s an INTERN…interns generally receive no pay, but he still gets dumped on for being fatherly and starting at the bottom. Wow.

12. Yea these fans commenting every chance they get about the Pats cheating is pathetic…I’m glad people are starting to realize how lame these people sound

13. This comment thread is everything you need to know about Patriots haters. Not one mention of the Patriots were made about a guy who spent ONE year on the team on the back nine of his career, and you STILL can’t keep their names out of your mouths. Belichick/Brady own luxurious beachfront property in all of your heads.

14. Wow we rip NFLers for not being good role models but CJ gets.ripped.for having a family first mentality…very sad

15. I don’t think Chad is close to being broke, he’s pretty frugal with his money. If you don’t believe me, give him a follow on Twitter. He’s proud of his frugalness. Probably just needs to work like the rest of us to keep from going broke. Crazy concept right?

16. The Truth says:
    Aug 1, 2016 7:42 PM

Have you ever heard of Wes Welker or Randy Moss?

17. This is exactly what the Browns need. A selfish, erratic diva to show them how to be a professional. It will put them that last bit over the top.

18. Isn’t this the same guy who couldn’t remember any of the plays when he was on the Patriots roster? I wonder why.

19. Rachel Phelps: I’ll have to start feeding Chow Chow some real dog food.

20. nolesshabitual says:
    Aug 2, 2016 6:06 AM
    The Truth says:
    Aug 1, 2016 7:42 PM

Have you ever heard of Wes Welker or Randy Moss?

———–

How about Julian Edelman?

21. Another great belicheat signing. With the one exception of gronkowski belicheat wouldn’t know a great receiver he got run over by one

Let’s see, how many teams would want, Welker. Amendola, Branch, Givens, Rice, Edelman. In most of those cases the receiver either went to other teams after their career with the Pats or had interested suitors during FA. The question really should be how many receivers have left the Pats and excelled elsewhere? Pretty much none.

They have an extremely complicated route tree. many receivers cannot grasp it and Johnson was one of those. That is no slight to the receiver either. If all you have been exposed to is one type of system, and it fit your skill set so you excelled in it who is to say whether you can excel in a different one.

22. ispeakthetruthraiders says:
    Aug 1, 2016 7:58 PM

I think he fully knows the sacrifies that he has to make as played for many years.. No need to talk down to him as your last pargraph does
    __________________________________
    Assuming he informed Hue about this quick trip, I’m with you 100% with you. There are clowns on here saying he’s being a bad dad for missing, and Florio is calling him a bad coach for leaving to tell his daughter face to face that he’s going to miss the biggest event of her young life. That’s being a good coach and a good father at the same time.

For those saying he’s putting himself before his daughter…Chad Johnson is just about broke. He cannot financially (I’m betting his child support payments are huge) support his daughter without finding a job, and his best bet at a job is finding one in football. Parents miss stuff all the time to work to put food on the table. That’s the real world.

23. Wow we rip NFLers for not being good role models but CJ gets.ripped.for having a family first mentality…very sad

—–

it’s sad that you think his willingness to not be there to support his child in the Jr. Olympics , so that he can work as an intern is having a “family first” mentality.