Michael Bennett calls Cam Newton to apologize for “taking the dollars” comment

Getty Images

When Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett made his call to action to NFL players, the one he seemed to single out by name for not being vocal enough was Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

But Bennett has since made another call.

A source close to the situation tells PFT that Bennett has since called to personally apologize to Newton for dragging him into the conversation.

“Our great players are sitting back just taking the dollars, whether it’s Cam Newton, all these guys,” Bennett said while discussing the need for athletes to be more outspoken on social matters. “They’re not really on the forefront of trying to change what’s going on.”

Bennett also referenced Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, but in the context of the “Black Lives Matter” t-shirt he was wearing, mentioning Newton so explicitly was harsh.

While Newton has certainly made himself available to be a marketing machine, he’s also been extremely active in his own community. Often, those measures are taken quietly, such as his visit to the families of victims in Charleston after the church shootings there last year.

While Bennett’s greater point has some validity — too many NFL players and the league as a whole only take safe, easy to sell positions — singling out one player for anything he does or not do dilutes the point.

And Bennett seems to have realized that.

57 responses to “Michael Bennett calls Cam Newton to apologize for “taking the dollars” comment

1. Bennett should just call it what it is. He doesn’t care if Cam Newton is active in the community or actually trying to help people. He just wants Cam to be an advocate for HIS agenda.

2. if one where to question the seriousness of Cam Newton and his concern for social issues one merely need to look at the somber, non-clownish picture included with this article. #non-ironic

3. Black Lives Matter is a complete fraud. There are 5,000+ black lives that get killed by gun violence, but there’s nothing political to be gained so they just ignore that and focus on something that is .1% of the problem. BLM should be re-named to:

“Black Lives Matter ONLY in the case they are killed by a white cop in a questionable shooting, otherwise we can care less”

At least then they would be honest with everyone. If there was a TRUE BLM movent that protested the violence in their communities and care when a 4 year old black girl is innocently killed playing in her yard while caught up in a drive by, then I’d be in the protest line with you.

But don’t call athletes that don’t buy in to all this BLM propaganda lazy greedy players. And don’t call those whites who don’t support BLM “racist”… I think we just have a little more discernment and can see through a lot of the “malarkey”.

4. Mr. Bennett… I trust that he now realizes that it is not his place to call out others and I am glad that he made the call. That show his owning up to a mistake.

On another note…. players who have a venue to voice a cause should do so more on a grass root level… not in the press, or TV… work the streets, hospitals, churches, and put in the actual time and effort to get down to the working level that these and other causes require in order to be truly supporting.

just my 2 cents.

5. Ladanlian Thomlinson was talking about this too on NFL Network, saying they needed the white players to start standing up and addressing the issue. It’s hard for society to come together when one side is expecting that everyone has to have their view or they are racist.

I was gladly surprised to see the entire Dallas Cowboys organization stand behind the Dallas Police Department.

6. Cam has his nose so far up in the air that after the word GREAT he didn’t hear a thing !

7. As someone that has worked with many high level younger athletes, it is safe to say that the majority of these kids told have the knowledge base to meaningfully speak about serious issues. Some do, but most do not. Why expose your ignorance when you don’t have to?

8. Cam should apologize to football fans everywhere for showing his true colors at the biggest moment in the biggest game of his career. Like Dan Marino, he will never get a second chance….

9. Sure, Cam has maturity issues, but the dude’s very active and impressive in Charlotte’s community and beyond. The thing that impresses me most is that he does a lot of his community outreach work quietly, without the cameras.

– Titans Fan in Charlotte

10. Props to Bennett for manning up and apologizing. Everyone makes judgements of these athletes, that they should be more vocal. A lot of those that are outspoken have made a lot of money and have financial security. If you grew up poor and had the chance to get your whole family out of it….I think it would be very difficult to do anything that would jeopardize that. I haven’t walked in their shoes….who am I to judge?

11. I’m not a big Cam Newton fan, and I am a Bennett fan. The fact is Bennett was out of line drawing Cam in to that conversation without Cam walking in to it.

Cam has been hyper analyzed on many levels from his facial expressions to how he wears the towel on his head. I am confident he contributes back to society in the ways that mean most to him. Yes, he also makes a lot from money from endorsements. But how and when he applies his name to opinions, that’s still up to him.

It is notable that Bennett wants to wade in to this issue, but I’m sure he recognizes it paints a big bullseye on his back. I’m glad he recognized this and admitted his mistake bring cam in to it.

12. Mike is right. Camera is a non-stop, self-promoting marketing machine. That comes before anything else. Thinking that he would be a credible representatI’ve for public affairs is laugjable.

13. Play football. I dont want to hear your commentary on social issues. There are enough “entertainers” sharing their social issue opinions and I dont care what their friggn stance is. You are paid well to play a sport so entertain me.

14. What Bennett meant was he wants more black superstars to take a very negative stance and be more divisive with the black lives matter movement.
    Shame shame….

15. He is only “apologizing” because of the storm he created.

It has nothing to do with “saving” blacks from the police, as Bennett even stated. He said ” It’s about social change and change economically. “

16. Easy for Bennett to say. Companies aren’t banging down Bennett’s door with endorsement opportunities like they are with Cam. Black Superstar athletes have to be more careful about what they say and who they support. If Cam says something surrounding BLM that is or comes off as racist against white people, his endorsement deals and the money that goes with them get suspended, possibly severed. In the NFL, it could all end tomorrow from one crushing hit, so Cam should keep his mouth shut, make that money, and become a social activist after his career (if he wants to).

17. If this was most anyone else then it would be easier to just move on from his comments but Bennett has proven time and time again what a turd he is. It was a whopping month ago that he was bashing Steph Curry for charging so much for a camp. On the field he is undoubtedly a supreme talent but off of it he shows zero ability to stay out of the news.

18. 13% of the population commit 52% of the murders….

Yet cops kill more whites and hispanics as a % of crime….

Why no outrage?

If I was beaten up by a cop for stealing a candy bar and told my dad, he would have whooped me…taken me to the PD station and made me apologize to the cop then taken me to the store made me apologize and clean the parking lot with a toothbrush to pay for my theft….

Blacks would just protest the cop….

Play a stupid game….win a stupid prize

19. mutohasaposse says:
    Aug 1, 2016 9:41 AM
    ======================

But here is the conundrum. And facebook gives everyone an opportunity to see this first hand. I have seen it multiple times. When a well intentioned white person tries to help, the response is some form of “You don’t know what youre talking about, you didn’t grow up like we grew up”. So to recap, the black community wont fix their problems from within, because there is always someone or something that can be blamed, and there is a refusal to accept help from white people “who don’t know what its like to be black”. So what options remain??? I’m not ok with people getting gunned down in the streets (whether the shooter is police or anyone else), and it seems many white people who would like to help feel this way. But we feel prohibited from helping in a meaningful way. And that’s fine, I don’t want to be “cold” about this, but if you dont want my help, its no sweat off my back, my life isn’t going to be altered if my help is refused. The other major factor in these discussions is that there are a large percentage on both sides that feel like you have to be all in on that side. And anyone that isn’t “all in” on that side, is not welcome. How can you have meaningful discussion if you refuse to meet in the middle? My way or no way is going to get you nothing.

20. I’ve always thought it was very arrogant for any celebrity to call out any other celebrity for not sounding off on issues such as this.
    No one should be telling anyone else how they should or shouldn’t react on issues such as this.
    I remember years ago when Elvis was the top entertainer in the world and he was asked why he hadn’t taken a stand against the Viet Nam War. He answered that he was just an entertainer and he didn’t think it was right for him to take a stand for or against it. He was right. Just because you’re famous, it doesn’t mean you have to put yourself in the middle of a controversy and it doesn’t make you smarter than anyone else.
    I’ve seen countless actors, actresses, and musicians offering their opinions on a long range of subjects and they are often so wrong it isn’t even worth the time to listen to them. But they get the platform because they’re famous and use it anyway.
    If someone wants to put themselves in the middle of an issue, go for it. But they have no right to criticize anyone who doesn’t want to.
    As for Black Lives Matter, yes they do. But so do police officers’ lives, and everyone else’s, too.
    The lesson no one seems to get in all of this is there is more than meets the eye with what is happening in this country. Racism exists from all parts of the spectrum and everyone needs to take a hard look inward to see how they can be part of the change, if there is to be one.

21. nhpats says:
    Aug 1, 2016 9:56 AM

———————————————-

NHPATS – you are such a D-bag. Just like Brady showed his true colors when he destroyed his phone and lied like a rug about deflate gate. His run will soon be over and you will have to crawl back in the hole where you came form.

22. The only thing Michael Bennett is known for is talking in the offseason. He holds out less than halfway through his contract, but then blames others for doing the same. The guy’s a hypocrite that worries about everyone else’s business instead of handling his own.

23. Eight years ago, I was so excited that we Americans actually elected a black man for president. I thought that America could finally start the healing process. Was I ever wrong! Race relations in America are at their lowest point in 50 years. I just sense so much anger and hatred from the black community. Could it be that our president is the divider-in-chief? It seems he’s done nothing but turn the entire black community into one huge white-hating hotbed of racism. I used to feel guilty for being white…now I see that’s silly. Black people will use the race card forever, even when it’s no longer justified. No matter how much the media tries to tear down the white race, I’m going to start being proud of my race again.

24. I’m really getting tired of all of this racism stuff. I used to be a huge Bennett fan. NO MORE!!! I’m going to burn his jersey and badmouth him to all of my fellow fans until they all burn the jerseys of this racist too.

Bennett, BLM is inherently racist. It implies that the lives of cops, whites, Latinos and Asians do NOT MATTER. Your support will accomplish nothing but get more innocent cops get killed. I hope it makes you happy. The black comunity has become obsessed with an insane perceived victimhood. I’m done with all of this racism. I wish the Seahawks would cut you, and I hope no other team wants your cancer on their team. Your mouth will likely result in your team not making the playoffs this year. I hope your teammates end up hating you for all of your silly distractions.

25. pantherfan4life says:
    Aug 1, 2016 11:11 AM
    nhpats says:
    Aug 1, 2016 9:56 AM

———————————————-

——-
    You want to compare Cam to Brady? Brady took a pounding from the Broncos and just kept getting back up and playing. Cam cowered in the fetal position. Brady has already been to six and won four SBs. Cam will likely never return. Please do not ever compare Cam Newton to Tom Brady. Brady is a first ballot HOFer. Cam will be long forgotten….

26. Or you’re going to do what, Michael? Blow a 4th quarter lead by letting Cam run all over the place, or just fold in the first half by letting Cam run it up to 31-0?

27. Bennett is a narcissistic big mouth. He deems a matter important so everyone else has to as well. I’m tired of him always talking bad about someone. Amazing player and complete jerk.

28. What did he say to Cam? Hey man everything i said is true but i’m sorry for just calling out your name. At the end of the day what he says is still true right lol. Kind of a weird call to make.

29. willyeye says:
    Aug 1, 2016 11:30 AM
    ——–
    That man won election due to the white vote. And the very week he took office the GOP hit the ground with the TEA PARTY race card. Obviously that was the strategy created by the powers that be to limit his presidency from the outset. The race card worked. We all saw it happen…at least those of us without blinders on. So if you want to complain about race carding be careful, for every time you’re pointing a finger at others there’s 3 more fingers pointing right back at you.

30. Bennett is definitely an antagonizer, I don’t know about you but I know a lot of people are getting soooo sick of the double standard where only certain people can be activists or complain …where rules only apply to certain people…where you’re not allowed to tell the truth, if you are you’re considered racist.

This is why Trump can win the Presidency, people don’t believe the liberal media anymore

31. What peaceful protest group calls for, and I quote, a weekend of rage? Oh yeah, that’d be BLM. How many cops died after that “peaceful” call? Yeah.

32. Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

There are 30,000 people killed in US each year and 20,000 are African American because you insist on guns and crime happens when guns are around! Everybody is up in arms when a policeman is shot but how about the 30,000 civilians killed every year because of you yahoos! Do you care about that?

33. pantherpro says:
    Aug 1, 2016 1:55 PM

Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

————————————————————–

Who is more likely to pull the trigger of those 20,000 murders you mentioned, a NRA member or a black lives matter supporter? I wonder how many of those gun used are legal anyway.

I think the laws for guns in this country can be changed, ridiculous some of the things that are out there. But you can’t blame the 20,000 deaths on NRA members because they aren’t pulling the trigger and claiming Chi-raq.

Your logic is nonsensical.

34. Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

There are 30,000 people killed in US each year and 20,000 are African American
    ***********************************************************
    Ever wonder what % of those 20K are killed by our own color ? Take a good look – you’d be stunned !
    If your going to fan the racial flames -do your homework!
    and NO – I’m not an Uncle Tom!

35. pantherpro says:
    Aug 1, 2016 1:55 PM
    Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

You do know what kills so many black people right? Here’s a hint: it’s other black people.
    Almost every single person I know owns guns, yet there’s been zero gun violence from any of them. Clean your race and culture up and it’ll solve a lot of those murders you’re so worried about.

36. pantherpro says:
    Aug 1, 2016 1:55 PM
    Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

—————-
    That majority of those 20,000 black people are killed by other black people. Why do you think that is? Could it possibly have to do with the glorification of acting “gangsta” in today’s society? Could it possibly have anything to do with glorification of acting like a punk? Could it possibly have to do with 70% of black kids growing up with only a single parent?

Nah…..It must be the NRAs fault….

37. Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

————————————————–

And once again a comment from the uneducated liberal left ,democrats, progressive, elitists etc.

When will they learn that they only make fools of themselves when making comments like this?

38. I don’t blame someone with as little actual talent as Cam Cheating and who has no personal integrity of any kind to go out and to cash his paychecks while he can. Considering that this jerk violated at least one school’s honor code by cheating several times and acted like a coward and fled and who stole a laptop, I don’t fault this jerk getting all he can before he ends up in prison.

39. peytonwantsaflag says:
    Aug 1, 2016 9:29 AM

——————————————————————————-
    That’s like someone taking a picture of you celebrating something and using it as a stock picture over articles of ISIS attacks. Has nothing to do with Cam or how he feels about the issues. I’m glad MB apologized and I’m as over it as anyone.

40. collectordude says:
    Aug 1, 2016 5:50 PM

Hey all you NRA clowns and BLM haters,

————————————————–

——————————————————————————
    And it’s a foolish comment because……? Because people like you are set in their position and find immense amounts of deaths completely acceptable as long as it’s happening to someone you don’t care about. *drops mic*