Adele passes on Super Bowl halftime gig

Getty Images

Never mind, the NFL will find someone like Adele. (And that’s the extent of the puns for this one.)

Amid rumors that Adele will headline the Super Bowl LI halftime show, Adele confirms that, yes, she was asked to do it but that, no, she won’t be.

“First of all, I’m not doing the Super Bowl,” Adele told an audience during a show, via Variety.com. “I mean, come on, that show is not about music. And I don’t really — I can’t dance or anything like that. They were very kind, they did ask me, but I said no.”

Super Bowl halftime had become one of the most desirable gigs for performers, given the immense exposure provided. And the NFL eventually figured that out.

Previously done for free, a report from 2014 suggested that the NFL asked Katy Perry (who performed at halftime of Super Bowl XLIX), Rihanna, and Coldplay (which performed at halftime of Super Bowl 50) to “contribute a portion of their post-Super Bowl tour income” to the NFL or to “make some other type of financial contribution.” The reaction from the acts reportedly was “chilly,” but the NFL nevertheless has a significant amount of bargaining power, which the league consistently uses as much as it can to get what it wants.

Adele didn’t mention the possibility that she said “no” because the NFL wanted her to say “yes” to coughing up some cash. But if that’s what the NFL is doing, look for the best options to decline and only those acts that are desperate to seize upon the boost that comes from the Super Bowl stage to gladly give up X percent of whatever they realize post-Super Bowl, since that’s always better than keeping 100 percent of nothing.

147 responses to “Adele passes on Super Bowl halftime gig

1. Thank you for declining Adele, no matter the reason. That whooshing sound you just heard was the collective relieved sigh of millions of NFL fan husbands and fathers. Now somebody get the Foo Fighters in there

2. Two points here. I’d rather “listen” to a Mime than her at halftime. Secondly I love that she was asked and said no. Always nice to see someone is able to stick a shiv in the ribcage of the NFL and get away with it.

3. Good.

How about somebody that football fans who actually watch football all year want.

Not some dumb chick who appeals to women
    who watch about 5 minutes of football all year (that game being the superbowl)

Carrie Underwood sucks too and i don’t know who thought she was a good idea either.

4. Yes find artists that are so desperate that they will give up tour revenue to the NFL. That will lead to a watchable halftime show :s

That’s why the 50th Superbowl halftime was a crap show, instead of something that was befitting a 50th Superbowl anniversary. The NFL should have been embarrassed by that 50th anniversary halftime.

5. jag1959 says:
    Aug 14, 2016 4:24 PM

———————————

The Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands but I love Adele. How could you not? Most talented musician in the last 20+ years. Speak for yourself lol

6. I can’t believe people care this much about the halftime show. It’s a ten minute concert that mostly just shows rubes dancing on the field, it’s completely irrelevant to true football fans or to the value of the game.

7. Yes, Katy Perry and Coldplay are such struggling artists that they would gladly give up part of their tour money…

8. adele is a legit talent that makes good music. That being said im tired of the UK obession this country has. It should only be an american, as a matter a fact all the shows in america should only be americans.

9. “thegreatgabbert says:
    Aug 14, 2016 4:29 PM
    Oh well, there has to be a Hank Williams III coming along.”

You do know there IS a Hank III, don’t you? He’s more likely to tell the NFL to stick it. And not politely.

10. Most of the halftime shows are rubbish. A lot of screaming and shouting and costume malfunctions, who cares? Good for Adele, that’s anything but her scene.

11. If a singer or group is big enough that they’re asked to perform the Super Bowl, odds are that the rest of their year is already booked, and the league had nothing to do with that.

12. BRAVO!!!

NFL Marketing Department is trying to draw in non-football fans (they already have us). I understand that, but what about us? The loyal core of NFL fans would watch halftime instead of hit the fridge if Skynyrd, Foo’s or any number of American acts would perform. This is American Football after all…..NOT futbol or Rugby.

skol4life says:
    Aug 14, 2016 4:26 PM

Maybe try an American? Ya think? Nothing against Adele but I would rather see Metallica or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

13. Thank god she declined, has a great voice but like watching paint dry. Maybe the NFL and what ever entertainer they get can donate the proceeds to a “REAL” charity other than the United Way where only 10% makes it to the ones who need it.

14. Spoken like a guy that did not have to contend with adolescent girls invading the man cave for Katy Perry on the surround system and big screen then hanging around shrieking about it into the 3rd quarter.

15. Thank You for passing Adele…nobody wanted to hear what would have sounded like ” someone torturing a cat ” anyway.
    Not that I watch that half-time stupidity anyway – just saying Thanks from all the fans that don’t really care for you.

16. LOL at the NFL antics – billionaires are billionaires because they try not to pay for things. But Adele is an uber-serious songstress in her prime, not a desperate publicity-seeker, and doesn’t need some over-the-top tackiness to sell her records/tours.

I’d rather the owners just got in some top college marching band for half-time – maybe a competition winner – AND PAID THEM.

17. Wait, I’m not sure which is more offensive. The fact that the NFL would have the stones to ask performers to just contribute some portion of their income to the NFL for the exposure…

….or because the NFL thinks that Adele might be a musician that truly is the one to represent this year’s fan base. Sigh,

18. Why are people upset that the NFL is able to charge performers to perform? They have a product that practically 1/2 billion people tune in to watch. They charge advertisers like $5,000,000 for a 30 second slot. If someone is getting 12 minutes of airtime during that show, it is very valuable.

Am I supposed to feel sorry that “poor” Beyonce was charged some money so she could go out there and spew her anti-police rhetoric in front of 500 million people?? These performers have no problem charging $150+ a seat for some of their shows… are they “greedy performers”??? Sorry, but it’s just business, and it goes both ways.

19. Good!

Only teenages girls with low self esteem, over emotional housewives, and packer fans would have enjoyed that halftime show.

Get the Foo Fighters in there!!!!

20. The halftime show is an abomination to the game they cut in half and placed on either side of it. I just personally don’t like the kind of people who just tune into the biggest Football game of the year to specifically watch some jokers flop around, only because other people I personally do not like also tune in for that specific reason.

Subsequently, I propose we get Nickelback to play the halftime show, not only are they Canadian, but its the football fans revenge at those clowns who tune in for it and turn the game into a side show. Ill be waiting in line for the bathroom during the halftime show or outside catching a smoke anyways, but ill have a little smile on my face knowing those types of people are going through such thorough disappointment.

Mwahahaha….MWAHAHAa…MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

21. Foo Fighters should do it, and do their Prince (he had one of the best performances, BTW) cover song since he won’t be able to get mad.

But more likely, you’re going to end up with something like Journey with their 3rd replacement singer.

22. thegreatgabbert says:
    Aug 14, 2016 4:27 PM
    All 11 NFL fans who listen to Adele on a regular basis are disappointed.

_________________

I take it then that listen to a lot of Katy Perry.

23. No one has been hyped more over such a limited body of work than the Miss Piggy of music.

And the real reason she isn’t doing the Duper Bowl is that there is no stage that can support her that can be assembled in the allotted time.

24. There’s no way anyone with the status that allows them to be asked to perform at the super bowl will kick down money from their subsequent tour. That’s absurd.
    I know I’ve enjoyed maybe one or two halftime shows over the years, but I honestly can’t remember who they were.
    That’s about how important it is, I think.
    Mostly guys are grabbing foods and beverages during the show.

25. Too bad….I might have actually watched the halftime show for the first time in decades. She has a better voice than anyone the Super Bowl has put on in a very long time.

26. “as a matter a fact all the shows in america should only be americans.”

Really? All shows should only have American performers here? Are you really that tiny minded or actually being sarcastic?

I’ve toured many times overseas doing the lighting on concert tours and I’m certainly glad I was welcomed in the countries I visited and have had the chance to experience. And that they didn’t have such an ignorant attitude.

Hey do you shop at Target, Walmart or any of 100 other chains in the US that sell goods almost exclusively made overseas at the expense of American jobs?

Do you really think the likes of the Beatles, Stones, Who, the Police and thousands of other musical artists should be or should have been prohibited from touring here because they aren’t ‘Murican enough for you?

Do you see how insanely silly your statement is?

27. laserw says:
    Aug 14, 2016 5:32 PM

—–
    I’m sure you’ll be able to have a stage worthy of holding up 50 tons if you call in the crew that constructed the bleachers at Lambeau.

28. Maybe not everyone’s cup of tea. But she is a very successful entertainer. It was obvious to her that playing at Superbowl halftime is a non-event.
    Eventually that will become common knowledge just like eventually, people will realize this watered down version of what used to be football, is fast becoming a non event.

29. What football fan watches the halftime show? In my house that’s when all the people that like the halftime show instead of football get the couches.

30. Let me use this space to tell every one that as a very macho man I do not like Adele and I don’t want adele singing half time during a football game. Also, she’s not American, which is a prerequisite to being good because how else would I be able to validate myself in the face of my obvious inadequacy.

31. Stop saying Foo Fighters! They are an average band, pimped out mercilessly at any chance by the spotlight/drama loving Dave Grohl.

32. What a crock. Co they expect the players to start paying them as well?
    NFL keeps that kind of attitude they’ll be making a last minute call to “Up With People”.

33. truthfactory says:
    Aug 14, 2016 5:11 PM
    ~~~~~~~
    Really? Yeah, the exposure is valuable. That is how the NFL can get many performers to do the show for free. Asking the performers to pay the NFL is absurd. You seem to forget that the NFL is asking the performers to provide a service, not the other way around. The advertisers are asking the NFL for a time slot, hence the extravagant prices.

34. I’m sure you aren’t the only one who turned down an offer when we were young. They’ll likely just find someone like you who is looking to be rolling in the deep cash.

35. @TruthFactory
    “Why are people upset that the NFL is able to charge performers to perform? …..

1) Well first off, the halftime show was Cold Play. The NFL probably begged Beyoncé to join them, because they saw that the halftime was going to be terrible(and it was).

2) The NFL will only get second Tier artists, if they are asking performers to pay to play the show. Top Tier artists do not need the Superbowl to sell out their concerts.

For Superbowl 50, I was expecting a good show and instead we got clips from Halftime shows of yester-year.

36. laserw says:
    Aug 14, 2016 5:32 PM

2 12

A lot of room temp IQ males voicing their opinion about a successful female vocalist. It’s said that you are so insecure you can’t accept a talented women at the super bowl….unless she was Janet Jackson….it’s obvious racism has many colors other than white.

37. 4 months ago – “Prince had the best half time show ever”

now – “Adele is chick music”

You idiots. Go back to your Trump rally

38. Nothing against Adele, but I’m glad she herself is aware enough that she would’ve been a terrible choice to do the halftime show. Does the NFL have any kind of a pulse on what would work for a good halftime show? Apparently not.

39. realtruthteller100 says:
    Aug 14, 2016 5:50 PM
    ______________

Finally something true out of one of our many ‘truthtellers’, the inadequacy has been obvious for some time

40. Whats with people thinking the foo fighters and Metallica are where it’s at? Maybe 20 years ago but it’s 2016 for crying out loud and those bands suck now!

41. I hope all these guys trashing Adele and proposing other acts realize they sound just like a bunch of pageant queens talking about how tacky Janelle’s dress is

42. Why don’t they just forget the musical acts, and just play a clip with the hardest hits from the just finished season?

Get those “Jacked Up” bozos in there to narrate it.

43. abninf says:
    Aug 14, 2016 6:57 PM
    Who? Is the NFL trying to attract teenage girls or something?
    _______________

Uh, yes actually…Pinktober or Katy Perry ring a bell?
    They want daughters and moms in the fold, duh

44. Saw Guns & Roses a few weeks ago. Still insanely good. That’s who should do the halftime show. No question.
    Sadly, Goodell’s NFL is only interested in appealing to soccer moms and 13-year-old girls. So I’m sure it won’t happen.

45. autumnwind999 says:
    Aug 14, 2016 7:45 PM

————————–

That would certainly explain some of the comments I read here at PFT.

46. Wouldn’t it be nice if all bands/performers of notoriety told the NFL to stuff it! Maybe we’ll see some garage band from Podunk

47. ctiggs says:
    Aug 14, 2016 4:43 PM
    …im tired of the UK obession this country has. It should only be an american…
    ———————–
    We don’t have a “UK obsession” in our music tastes, we simply have a taste for great music and the Brits just happen to be pretty darn good at it. But, you know, maybe the Brits should provide the stadium beer as well, and the paint! Hell, stadium food is so bad I’d let them do that too – at least their fries are those proper thick wedges.

48. Why does it have to be music?

The NFL has no imagination.

The halftime show is a tradition of meh

49. If the league can’t get Foo Fighters, they can get the Canadian Foo Fighters: Nickelback.

Same band, different hometown.

50. Put someone out there who actually represents the demographic who makes up the majority of the NFL.

Get out of here with the foo fighters.

51. This would have been an aweful idea by the NFL. At my work they have the same music overhead every day and you hear Adele enough you just wonder how all these people at her shows don’t just off themselves right there at the show, it’s so heartwrenchingly dreary.

And you thought of that for a halftime show???

52. I didn’t read all the comments but enough that I think we need some ground rules about who should NOT be invited.

1. Anyone who needs the batteries in their pace makers replaced. That lets out anyone from the 60s, most from the 70s.

2. Any group with a large part of the band no longer living – there goes Lynard Skynnard, the Allmans, etc.

3. Anyone that used to be Rock & Roll and is now
    “Country”. So long ZZ Top.

4. Any band with fat old farts that insist on wearing tight leather pants, etc. – Guns & Roses

5. Any watered down rap, hip hop, etc – see Black Eyed Peas.

6. Pop “Princesses” – AKA Katy Perry (too late I know) Taylor Swift, Britney Spears, etc.

Who does that leave ? I don’t know, I don’t follow this stuff anymore.
    What I do know is anyone that has to PAY the NFL for the privilege probably isn’t worth seeing.

53. Hows about the best 3-4 college bands in the country. The half time is over-hyped. The real fans are getting their food and going to the bathroom. Does anyone think the ratings would suffer…..really!!

54. Really, really glad the anti-America Liberal Brit said no to the NFL.

Americans should stop embracing those who look down on us and who consider Americans to be a lesser class than Brits, as well reject the majority of Brits who have forgotten that we paid in American lives and freely given precious resources to save their pompous and incompetent selves and nation from Hitler.

55. … Based on your logic here:, since my house is on a corner lot and seen by many local consumers driving by I am offering the local landscaping businesses the opportunity to take care of my yard. Whichever business offers me the most cash gets the job.

Actually, you’re close and on the right trail. If you owned land near a freeway, the towering Sign Builders would fight to lease your land. Decades ago my Dad started buying up land outside Las Vegas, once he saw the route of I-15. Did real well with it. Put it up for auction in. Lives off the lease income.

56. 2016StockMarketCrash says:
    Aug 14, 2016 7:42 PM
    Iron Maiden also puts on a great show, should be a candidate

———————

With a 150 foot tall Eddie spitting flames. And special guest stars Slayer and Danzig.

57. How about you pair her up with that hoodlum Justin Bieber to do a duet at half-time and at the end of the song the pervert can rip her top off.

58. Well that just sucks. I was hoping the NFL would get a multi talented, relevant artist that just rocks. Someone who’ll just blow us away and amp up the excitement for the second half of the game. Someone just like Adele. Yeah, Adele. The Boss and the E Street Band? Forget about ’em. Prince? Forget about ‘im. Bruno? Forget about ‘im. Adele. The NFL needs Adele. She is so… who am I kidding? Ha! Adele… heheheheh…. yeahhhhh. Adele. They actually thought… “yeah, let’s ask Adele!! She’ll be PERFECT for the half time show!” Wow. Hehehhehehe. Ha! Ok ok ok…. Thanks for passing Adele. Now let’s fire the shmuck who thought that was a solid idea and get someone that REALLY would be awesome. “Taylor Swift!!” NO!

59. Acts big enough to play the Superbowl don’t have trouble selling tickets or selling out their tours.

Why would they pay the NFL when they already sell every ticket they can without the NFL? Why give up money when you don’t have to?

The NFL is nuts here. Only second tier acts need that sort of publicity. At least with a big act the ad revenue will stay high during halftime, right?

Get Guns N’ Roses. Slash, Duff, and Axl are back together and just sold out Foxboro on back-to-back nights and sounded incredible (to my surprise, Axl is back in singing shape).

60. Idiot nfl. Last year it turns out was the last chance for acdc with Brian Johnson and Malcolm Young still involved. You only hear their stadium anthems at pretty much every sporting event ever. Most professional band out there as well. No stupid dancing and ridiculous political correctness. Just honest hard driving rock and roll. But no lets get Miley Cyrus or Taylor Swift. There you go. Fkwits.

61. If I enjoyed listening to a depressing woman whine during football games I’d still be married.

62. The half time show is about maximizing viewership. Football for the men, crappy music for the ladies. It’s obviously what they’re going for. More eyes on the TV, the higher they can charge for next year’s commercials.

63. jetsarestacked says:
    Aug 14, 2016 9:04 PM

Get out of here with the foo fighters.

Do you mean the 1500 or so players or the 15 million viewers?

What makes you think the majority of fans want to watch what you seem to be selling? Kinda race-centric thinking. Kinda pathetic.

64. Foo Fighters, Van Halen, Hank, Skynard, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, ZZ Topp, Guns N Roses, Allman Brothers, etc are the bands listed in this thread.

LOL, it’s pretty clear about the demographics of PFT readers: middle aged white men.

65. bastardfromhell says:

I prefer to watch fat dogs catching frisbees.
    ———————–

Now that is a halftime show I would watch.

66. Just have a Texas Cage Match between DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell.

The winner gets to make two changes to the current CBA.

67. streetyson says:
    Aug 14, 2016 5:04 PM

Get the 2 biggest college bands from the states representing the teams in the Super Bowl. Lets have a simple halftime show.

And I must be one of the few people alive who doesn’t know who Adele is. Or really care to be honest.