Dez Bryant: Dak Prescott isn’t playing like a rookie

Getty Images

The Cowboys have opted not to make an addition to their quarterback group following Kellen Moore’s broken ankle with owner Jerry Jones saying that fourth-round pick Dak Prescott has done enough in practice to get an opportunity to serve as Tony Romo’s backup this season.

Prescott’s performance in Saturday night’s preseason opener in Los Angeles is unlikely to lead the team to rethink that plan. Prescott completed 10-of-12 passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns with the two incompletions coming on drops by tight end Geoff Swaim. Two of the completions went to Dez Bryant, including a 10-yard touchdown, and the veteran receiver said that Prescott didn’t look like he was playing his first NFL game.

“I think the best thing about Dak is that he is extremely calm,” Bryant said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “It’s like he’s been here before. He’s not playing like a rookie. He is going to be very good; he’s special.”

Prescott, who also had a 14-yard run to set up a field goal, should get plenty of playing time against the Dolphins this Friday as well and another strong outing will likely quiet some of the calls for the Cowboys to look outside the organization for quarterback help.

59 responses to “Dez Bryant: Dak Prescott isn’t playing like a rookie

1. The way Dak played reminded me of a taller version of Russell Wilson. He still has a ways to go, but Dak shows promise. Now, Dallas should be more worried about their defensive line, or lack thereof, than the backup qb situation.

2. Not a Cowboys fan but they got the much better QB in round 4 then the Rams who gave up the farm for a bust in waiting Goff…

3. Once again Dallas is winning the pre-season Super Bowl. Their rookies are all All-Pros, their veterans are all shoo-ins for the HOF. Normal pre-season, then, they fall on their butts in the regular season.

If Prescott is so good (per Dallas fans) then they should advocate with billboards and threats to not show up for games if he does not start the regular season and Romo start warming the bench.

4. LA Rams fans could careless about Goff being a bust or not. We finally got our team back after almost 22 years. That is the biggest things to us right now and probably for a while. We know they kinda suck and will probably finish 6-10/7-9 but they are our LA Rams again.

5. I will never understand why anyone cares or pays attention to what Dez has to say. This guy is a third grader in a man’s body. Whatever comes into his head comes out his mouth. Get some quotes from somebody who didn’t beat up their own mother.

6. This kid has the same mentality as another #4 who hailed from Southern Miss over 20 years ago.

To this day the Atlanta Falcons regret trading him.

Let’s see if Jerry Jones has enough common sense to let this kid develop because he’s going to throw a lot of interceptions in this league. However, he’ll throw a lot more touchdowns.

7. Whoa; first preseason game. Yes, this is the right way to have a smooth transition at the most important position on the field. But he is not Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young or Tom Brady to Brett Favre or Joe Montana or Drew Bledsoe just yet. But Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick and Russell Wilson a 3rd (Steve Young was a USFL castoff and we all know about Brady).

8. Way too early to get excited. He is showing some composure, accuracy
    and movement skills. So we will see. Remember the league is brutal
    just like a pitcher in baseball the more they see of you, the more they
    recognize your weaknesses. Let see him up against a Belichick defense
    a couple of times. Despite the difficulties ahead I hope him success.
    He seems like he is a good guy. Maybe the scouting department finally
    made a good call in a later round.

9. Dak had a nice first effort. IF he can keep it up and keep improving thru camp I’d prefer him as the #2 than some over the hill, never could play QB. We tried that last year and didn’t work. I’d rather he get the experience in practice with the first team. IF Romo were to go down At least we’ll see if Dak has a future.

10. And with the #1 pick the Rams chose a quarterback that they have to teach how to simply run a huddle since he’s never done it before. I’m sure even the Rams players were looking at Dak, looking back at Goff and thinking “what the hell did we get”.

11. This is awesome, 1 preseason game and he is the best QB in the draft and being compared to Farve. You cowboys fans are very realistic and levelheaded. You were correct about Claiborne and Randle. So you are probably right again

12. Prescott appears to have a calmness and maturity about him that shows a potential to become a player like Montana or Brady, both of whose greatness lay in their grace under pressure. There were no signs of the jitters or indecision usually seen on rookies making their first few starts. His touch on passes was impressive. His only incomplete passes were two drops by a hands-of-stone receiver. While calling the guy great would be a ridiculously premature statement, saying he has the potential to be great is right on the mark. He’ll have worse days ahead, but the good days will outnumber the bad.

13. thefirstsmilergrogan says:
    Aug 14, 2016 10:31 AM
    hope jerry buys in to the preseason fool’s gold….

==========================
    I know you will lose sleep over what Jerry Jones thinks, so let me clarify for you…lol..A quote from JJ…”I’m pleased with his performance, but let’s not go putting him in the HOF.” There, now you won’t lose any sleep over what Jerry buys into and what he doesn’t 🙂

14. dcapettini says:
    Aug 14, 2016 11:45 AM
    ==========================
    Wow, I did not know that you knew Dez on a personal level!!!! Perhaps, you would rather hear quotes from his teammates or coaches?????? Btw, do you believe everything you read in the media?? Sad for you, I would say and you are really going to be upset the entire season, as Dez will be quoted numerously 🙂 Also, you do need to research all the community work Dez is involved in, before you are so quick to judge…just saying….

15. Encouraging…yes. But keep in mind that Ryan Leaf, EJ Manuel, Tim Couch, Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell & Johnny Manziel all looked good in preseason too.

16. mclennon99 says:
    Aug 14, 2016 2:22 PM

******************************************************************************************************************

17. famundacheese says:
    Aug 14, 2016 1:20 PM
    ———————————-
    Take a look at the last 8 first rounds picks for Dallas. 5 have made the probowl. Let us know how it’s worked out for your team

18. Geez, another spring training HOFer against a bunch of backups and guys fighting to make an NFL roster. At least wait to see how he does with a Fletcher Cox or Pierre-Paul breathing down his neck before crowning him the future of the Dallas Cowboys. Not saying that he won’t eventually be good but that time is not now yet.

19. Dak wears #4 to remind him that he was the best QB in the draft but was picked in the fourth round. The fact that he was going up against Goff motivated him.

20. 2016StockMarketCrash says:
    Aug 14, 2016 10:09 AM
    Doesn’t matter Dez, Cowboys will be 5-11 at best this season.
    —————————————————————-
    Dude, seriously??? 5-11??? I’d like to take some of that action…boy, folks are stupid until they have to put up funds.

21. @Vikingsdefineaverage he isn’t a 1st round pick and they have been average at best since 96. So what is your point? 2 playoff appearances in those 8 years. Their are 6 other rounds in draft. Maybe you should let Jerry know.

22. When a non white QB does well in a small sample size, he is exceeding expectations. When a white QB performs the same, we don’t want to rush ourselves because we need to see more.

23. No fan at all of the Cowboys here but it would make me extremely happy if a QB taken in the 3rd day wound up being a better pro than two guys who two GMs overpaid by a ridiculous amount to draft #1 and 2 overall. This insanity of 2 or 3 QBs being top 5 picks every year just because they’re QBs has got to stop.

24. I’m a cowboy fan and honestly y’all are embarrassing me. Stop with the hype. I guarantee the kid is no where near as good as what you saw in first preseason game. Tap the breaks! Stop boasting on one preseason game. We have a lot to be excited about as a team but Dak is still a pup and we need a much larger sample size than that to know his true game. On that note I will say our defense is going to be better than advertised everyone rides the media hype train especially the media. Our corners are much better than most realize. I promise Claiborne has awoken and it’s about time. I guess his football IQ had to catch up but he’s ready Carr and getting our slot guy back Scandrick we are good. Healthy dez Ezekiel romo all you haters talking 4-12 you know that’s a lie. Our offense is too good for that. Although I hope for worse record if romo gets hurt this year for deshaun Watson but I’m not going to write off Dak but I’m sure as hell not going to compare him to favre yet either

25. Going 10-12 139 yards.. 2tds with a perfect passers-by rating is hard to do in 7 on 7 passing league let alone in real live situation so I won’t scoff at it…kid will have growing pains just as every player does.. the bar was set pretty low for Dak and Jameil that I believe we are pleasantly surprised by the performance… especially when everyone is expecting Goff to steal the show as the more polished of the two. It’s something that at least raises a eyebrow…

26. It is what it is, a good start to learning how to play QB in the NFL. Nothing more, nothing less.

Still think they should watch the waiver wire come cut down time.

27. Vince Young went to the PRO BOWL and was R.O.Y. So please, maybe his career petered off but to act like he was a bust on the level of those others you mentioned is simply ASININE!!!

—————————————————-
    A bust is a bust is a bust. You obviously missed my point. What did he have…one good year?

28. Well I am not going to say he’s the greatest. He is just starting and I believe he can learn a lot from Romo. By the time Romo retires in the future than he will be great. Just take your time dax and learn as much as you can from Romo and you will be great later. I will say he is a lot better than kellen Moore.

29. To all you StL fans, say whatever you want be WE in LA have a NFL team nd you don’t. No matter what their record is, we have a team and you don’t. I get to got o games and you don’t. Best part they discounted all the games in the Coliseum until new stadium opens. I bought two seats for $820 for all nine games. I would love for them to go to the playoffs but I get to talk emu kids to game after 22 years. Make all the fun of the Rams, Goff, Fisher, LA and anything else that makes you ma cause they are our NFL team. Go Los Angels Rams. BTW, league is not expanding and besides the Raiders and Chargers no other team is looking o move and those two teams don’t even want to have anything to do with StL. Sour grapes, you should have tried harder for an expansion team in 1993 versus first trying to jack the Browns, than the Pats finally stole the Rams from LA after 49 years.

30. When Dallas drafted Dak, I thought he had a chance to be rookie of the year. I still do, because I don’t think Tony Romo will be healthy enough through the whole year.

Dak was a solid quarterback in college. When the Cowboys drafted him, I thought he was the steal of the draft!

Although this is only one NFL preseason game, but having watched so many of his Mississippi State games, I’m not surprised at his success. He’s going to be a star in the NFL.

As for Goff, well, the people here in LA are hoping he’s the real deal, but I still believe Dak was the best QB in the draft. He just didn’t have the Goff/Wentz hype.

31. mclennon99 says:
    Aug 14, 2016 2:22 PM

______________________________________

Which one of those where 4th round value picks?

It’s only one half of football, but he looked like a veteran in command. I was expecting him to take off running more often like he did in college, but he hung in the pocket and delivered. That was the part of his performance that was the most impressive to me. The only time he took off was a 14 yard run on 3rd and forever to set up a 44 yard field goal try instead of a 58 yard try. Very smart.

Again, just one half, but especially compared to the #1 overall pick, fairly impressive

32. I don’t understand why more teams don’t do this plan. Unless you can get a backup that you are CONFIDENT can steal you some games why bother grabbing mediocre veterans?

Play your young QB and see what they have. You may even find a much cheaper and younger starter for next year.

33. As a lifelong Cowboy hater, if that preseason game is any indication, you guys have QB sorted out for the next 4 to 10 years.. Going into the draft I considered Prescott a wasted pick unless it was round 5 or later. 4 plays into the game, I’m willing to say I might have been wrong on that one. He plays well, looks poised and (mostly) put the ball in the right places. He could be the next Russell Wilson. I’d venture to say there are more than a few Cowboy fans hoping for a Romo injury so they can usher in a new era. It’s still super early but as of now, I’m a fan..