Le’Veon Bell deletes video in which he admits smoking after arrest

AP

Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell posted a video on Friday in which he took responsibility for the missed drug tests that resulted in a three-game suspension. But Bell has now deleted that video.

Presumably, the reason he deleted it is that he said in the video that “I haven’t smoked since December 2014.” Bell’s two-game suspension at the start of last season was for an arrest for marijuana possession and DUI in August of 2014.

Bell tried to sound in the video like a man who has learned his lesson, but if he was still smoking pot in December of 2014 after an arrest for marijuana possession and DUI in August of 2014, that won’t endear him to the Steelers or the NFL.

The Steelers will be without Bell for Weeks 1-3, and he’ll return in Week 4. Assuming he doesn’t run afoul of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy again.

79 responses to “Le’Veon Bell deletes video in which he admits smoking after arrest

1. Since both Bell and Dareus were suspended for the same “Missed Drug Tests”, why would Bell get his suspension reduced and not Dareus? Special treatment from the NFL as always

2. Suspending these guys for something half the country is doing legally now, whether in states where its fully legalized or with a medical card is ridiculous.

Goodell’s NFL Reich is disgusting.

3. Whether a dude smokes weed shouldn’t be the NFL’s business. Shouldn’t be ANYone’s business.

4. Between this guy, Jared Goff not knowing that the sun rises in the East, and that other Rams player not “believing” in dinosaurs, maybe the NFL should think about having some mandatory common sense education for these players.

5. In fairness to Bell, it’s easy to accidentally say the wrong month when you are talking about something that happened two years ago.

6. I’m still so glad I don’t tweet or Facebook or any of that, it seems to be full of drama, life complications and they help you do stupid things. Le’veon, please stop and never start it back up again. You’re just making it worse for yourself lol

Next man up, and let’s all of us forget Le’veon Bell for a few weeks. Just like he can forget that new contract he wanted and several million dollars a year in discount for whoever eventually does give it to him. Next man up!

Go Steelers!

7. The key news here is this is just hours after his suspension was reduced from 4 to 3 games. It wouldn’t surprise me if posting an apologetic video was one of the conditions for getting a game knocked off the suspension. Well done NFL.

8. Nobody isn’t telling him he can’t smoke. He just can’t smoke while playing in the nfl. Kinda like how dudes get canned for saying racist things. You can say it just might get fired tho

9. scarletmacaw says:
    Aug 20, 2016 9:17 AM
    ______________

Particularly when you are stoned

10. seattlerogueburner says:

It’s an herb. Just a plant. That’s all.
    ==================================

Coca and poppy seeds are just plants. Let’s just make cocaine and heroin legal, huh, Smokey? As you and Bell show, dope smokers aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer.

11. Get rid of potheads in the NFL no matter what the NFLPA says or thinks. There should be zero tolerance for drug abuse in the NFL. No exceptions should be made no matter how talented the player.

12. The NFL reduced his original suspension. The NFL reduced his second suspension and most importantly granted him immunity from the accelerated discipline protocol for his next offense.

We’ll see what the NFL does about him admitting other offenses. My guess is the NFL pattern of leniency for Bell will continue.

Personally I believe players should have unfettered access to pot but the NFL has rules against it’s use. The massive inconsistencies of how they punish players is head scratching at best.

13. dreadnok89 says:
    Aug 20, 2016 9:35 AM

____________________________________
    Just like working for me. You can smoke if you want, you can drink if you want, but, the NTSB says if you get caught, you lose your CDL. My insurance company simply will not cover any accident you are in if you been smoking pot or drinking alcohol and it shows up in the mandatory post-accident blood test. Financially, I cannot have anyone fail a drug test after an accident because I am completely liable with no insurance coverage.

14. This guy just gets dumber and dumber as the years go by, keep it up you will be out of the league in no time, don’t worry you will never get that 15 a year you keep rapping about. Why would you let some weed derail u millions of dollars…. Idiot

15. I’d like to smoke weed too but I value my job more. Seems very simple when looking at the big picture and Bell stands to lose a boatload more money than I do.

16. About 30 percent of posters… Types “Le’Veon Bell is a loser.” Then takes a swig from his mountain dew and hollers up from the basement for mom to bring down some meatloaf.

17. It’s not surprising, nor does it bother me that he smokes weed, I imagine most athletes do, what’s amazing is his unwillingness to even pretend to be discreet about it

18. The average NFL players time span is so short it’s a shame they just can’t keep both feet on the ground.

They sacrifice so much money with stupidity. It happens on every team just about every year.

Oh well! You can’t fix stupid. LOL

19. so brady gets supsended 4 games for destroying his cell phone. ray lewis gets charged with obstruction of justice for destroying his blood stained suit. me thinks leveon deserves a proportional punishment for deleting this video. unfortunately, the governor of pensylvania has suspended the death penalty for now.

20. Sing along with Leveon Bell…

“I was heading for a long term deal, but then I got high!”

“I was gonna get huge signing bonus, but then I got high!”

“I was gonna be a Steeler legend, but then I got high!”

“…then I got high, then I got high, then I got hiiiiigh!!!”

21. Cant abide by rules.
    Screw him. plenty of others can and do
    There are other RB’s available. Maybe not as productive, BUT cwertainly good enough and without the baggage.
    One more of the Steelers who think they are special.
    Steeler fans look the another way, but ALWAYS blame Brady and/or others.
    Jerks.
    Mighty Steelers, SUCK

22. Too many judgemental people. Bell was 22 years old in 2014. How many of you acted like mature responsible adults at that age?
    I’m not happy about this situation but I have forgiven Bell. I made a lot of mistakes when I was younger and was given another chance. Don’t listen to these idiots Bell, people who have actually been through hard times understand, it’s not our fault they are ignorant and never had to face any adversity in life. The best thing to do is take it in stride.

23. He figure tough guy Tomlin will have his back. Or the Rooney’s to make things well in the league office. But he’s stating to wear on those guys and Tomlin could turn his back on him as he did Ariana back when.

24. abninf says:
    Aug 20, 2016 9:51 AM
    seattlerogueburner says:

It’s an herb. Just a plant. That’s all.
    ==================================

===================================
    You’re comparing weed to cocaine and heroin? Come on, man.

25. lenthevikesfan says:
    Aug 20, 2016 10:29 AM
    …………………………………………………………………..

LOL. That is hilarious.

26. Wow, Steeler nation how do you feel? A pot head and an alleged rapist (alleged twice) on your team. I guess the Rooneys are not so high and mighty after all.

27. Not even the nfl can shield this troglodyte from further incriminating himself. They’ve been. Many morons to play this game but he is quickly proving to be special.

28. Did this guys BRAINS fall out.

Foolish… or stupid. Man… the guy is producing continued and mounting convincing evidence to the latter.

Get a clue dude… get some Life Counseling or something . STOP that mess.

29. Yet you can drink alcohol and smoke cancer sticks and nothing will come of you! Crooked DEA and government officials, it’s only illegal because they can’t make money off of it. What a great country america is!

30. logicalvoicepft says:
    Aug 20, 2016 8:57 AM
    Let him smoke and play. As long as he’s not a threat to society who cares? I thought this was the United States not the People’s Republic of America

Smoke and drive? Drink and drive? Text and drive? All 3 impair your ability.

31. Loser don’t smoke weed.

Champions do.
    M Phelps.
    _________________

Phelps calls that the lowest point of his life. He quit smoking dope years ago. You stoners will come up with anything to justify your addiction. It’s no better than being an alcoholic. I’ve seen pot ruin just as many lives as alcohol….and no one has ever accused beer of being “the gateway drug”.

32. abninf says:
    Aug 20, 2016 9:51 AM
    seattlerogueburner says:

It’s an herb. Just a plant. That’s all.
    ==================================

———-

Yeah coca and poppy seeds are just plants. But the difference is they are processed over multiple times by chemicals, thus controlled substances, weed remains in its plant form. So theres a vast difference and while illegal the law makes that distinction as well. Yes, Bell and many stoners aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer but many sober people (like yourself it would self as it seems by your statement) can still prove themselves also to not be the sharpest knives in the drawer.

33. Lenthevikesfan, you don’t know me sir. I was in my bedroom and yelled down to mom for some mini pizzas. You did get lucky on the Mountain Dew though.

34. “me thinks leveon deserves a proportional punishment for deleting this video. ”

He deleted it off a public forum, he has every right to do so. He has every right to delete the video from every device he has and make sure the portion of the memory it was in is written over, unless law enforcement has a court order preventing him from doing so.

Goodell could only invoke his article 46 bs if the league had already told him not to delete it.

The question of how stupid is it for an athlete to post anything in a public forum these days is a different one.

35. How do you know he just didn’t mean August instead of December 2014. Thought so. Bell will be back by week 4 no matter how much the haters don’t want him playing. Carry on with this lame news.

36. trailerparkking says:

========================================

At 22 I was an airborne infantryman in charge of a rifle squad with one war under my belt.

37. I don’t care that he smokes, but this guy should be suspended for a year for being a Class A dumbass.

I’m annoyed his reduced suspension will allow him to play week 4 against the Chiefs.

38. I thoroughly enjoy witnessing the deterioration of the Steelers franchise. Tomlin is a joke. Ben is getting old and is always hurt. Drafts are getting worse. Troy, Keisel, Heath, Hines and Ike, the guys that were capable of going deep into the playoffs are all gone. They haven’t drafted Ben’s replacement and time is running out. The defense is atrocious. They only have 4 really good players and the rest probably wouldn’t even be starters on most good teams.
    Ahhhh…music to my ears. The Steelers of 1945-1971 are slowly making a comeback and that is a song we can all dance to.

39. He probably lit up just after he was injured that year and knocked out of the playoffs. Must’ve figured that was the best time to do it.

40. Coca and poppy seeds are just plants. Let’s just make cocaine and heroin legal, huh, Smokey?
    ==========
    Coca and poppy seeds by themselves aren’t toxic drugs. They have to be processed into cocaine and heroin.

41. What happened to the Bell who swore he’d play week one? What happened to the team who swore he’d play week one? I guess they were too busy on their knees begging (again) for a lighter sentence. This team has no shame or pride, does it?

42. Team doctors give players Vicodin, Torodol, Lexapro, Ambien, Flexiril etc… so they can play on game day and function during the rest of the week. The long term effects are horrible on the liver, kidneys and heart. Protect the shield, screw the players.
    Some players, 60-70% by some estimates, self medicate with cannabis. Others use alcohol. IMO it should be up to the player if they’re going to give up a good portion of their lifetime.

43. I Understand The Catch Rule says:
    Aug 20, 2016 12:34 PM

abninf says:
    Aug 20, 2016 9:51 AM

seattlerogueburner says:

It’s an herb. Just a plant. That’s all.
    ==================================

———-

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

abninf <<<<<<<<<is a goofy, homer Cowboy fan and isn't very smart to begin with, cut him some slack. He thinks that the Cowboys are America's team. How could you possibly expect him to understand logical thought and rationale when it comes to differentiating between hard drugs and a plant…?

44. I can’t believe that I just read Goff did not know the sun rose in the east. How is that possible?
    Leon Bell is going to do what is right for Leon. Leon smokes when Leon wants to smoke. Man this kid needs his parents to intervene badly.
    Pittsburgh… your becoming the laughing stock of the NFL. Practice is going to have to be held at the House of the Crossroads.