Giants owner says there’s no reason to cut kicker Josh Brown

Getty Images

Giants owner John Mara decided Wednesday to not leave his first-year head coach as the organization’s sole spokesman on the topic of Josh Brown.

Mara stepped out to talk to reporters today, and said the team was aware of their kicker’s 2015 arrest in Washington for domestic violence when they signed him to a new contract this offseason.

We did our homework here,” Mara said, via Paul Schwartz of the New York Post.

The initial charges against Brown were dropped, but his ex-wife told police of more than 20 incidents of violence against her and her teenage son. There were also reports that she kicked him in the ribs during an incident in New Jersey, but no charges were ever filed there.

The league suspended Brown for one game (rather than the new baseline of six) because his ex-wife did not cooperate with their investigation.

Mara said he wanted to give Brown a chance, saying that domestic violence “is such a complex and emotional decision.”

They’ve brought veteran Randy Bullock to cover them for a week, and Mara pointed out that the easy course of action would be to simply find a new kicker. But they’re apparently confident in Brown’s side of the story, and Mara is finally willing to attach his name to that endorsement.

74 responses to “Giants owner says there’s no reason to cut kicker Josh Brown

1. Ravens build statues, Giants turn a blind eye, Cowboys coddle, Patriots immediately cut and disavow but they are the evil ones. Right Roger?

2. Really Giants?? Just a matter of time before he swats somebody else again. You are fools, for protecting a batterer.

3. What is known for sure? He grabbed her wrist, and she claimed that he had done twenty previous things that she never reported.

Yeah, let’s ban him from earning a livelihood. And let’s schedule interviews with the Commissioner’s Office to investigate whether any other player may have ever grabbed somebody’s wrist or arm, and if they did, ban them from the NFL.

This would be the logical conclusion for anyone who thinks Brown should be cut.

4. Patriots continue to invent ways to circumvent every rule in the book, and whine when they get caught. That’s more like the truth, eh Chucky?

5. If Mara doesn’t want to cut Brown that’s fine (his team his rules), he just can’t point his skeleton finger at other teams on moral issues going forward nor should giant fans be able to call out any other fanbase.at the end of the day this is a business and I hope it is clearing up for some of you

6. of course they won’t cut him, Giants brass already gave hand puppet Goodell his marching orders. Commish works for the owners, remember? Some owners more equal than others

7. perfect pic of the beady eyed creep
    the mara never lived that had an ounce of integrity lol

8. I don’t know what everyone is upset about. This is well within the lines of the Giants’ “22 strikes and you’re out” policy. Stop being so sensitive.

9. Brown is lucky he doesn’t play for the Pats. If he did Godell would have him burned in effigy in front of the NFL HQ, then have the charred remains serve a 6 game suspension to protect the ‘integrity’ of the game.

10. and a player would “Never” intimidate a witness in order to get a 1 game. so now the new policy is 1 game i guess. well now we know

11. Mr Wright…Goodell burning tapes and Giants and Ravens enabling woman beaters..You are actually comparing the two?…you should be working at 345 Park Ave.

12. johnnnnyfootball says:
    Aug 24, 2016 12:43 PM
    Why is it that the man in these situations is always guilty without knowing any of the details?
    ——————————————-

I’ve never hit a woman, but my wife did a lot of stuff years ago that technically would be assault. If we got in a fight tonight and the cops were called and I said “Oh yeah she hit me 20 times over the past 10 years” I doubt I would be given the benefit of the doubt. I would be accused of exaggeration and/or asked why I didn’t report all the previous incidents. Now personally, I wouldn’t want my wife to go to jail for leaving a scratch on my wrist or shoving me lightly in the heat of the moment or something.

I’m not saying the guy is innocent, but I think it’s absurd that the media and readers are just running with it and taking it as fact that he hit her 20 times because that came up during 1 incident that we really don’t know the facts about.

13. I agree with Mr Mara that dv is an emotional and complex issue. However, I think that the NFL and NFLPA must insist on an automatic 6 game suspension, no appeals allowed. They need to send a message that a push = a pull = grab = a slap = a hit = a punch = a toss. All these instances are all examples of the same thing, putting your hands on another person in anger. Yes, there are two sides to every story but there is no justification for domestic violence.

14. JackedUpSports says:
    Aug 24, 2016 12:45 PM
    bad owner

There are no bad players……just bad owners

15. I can’t stand this sorry excuse for a human.

I can’t decide who I despise more Mara or GODell, and I’m not even a Patriot fan.

It’s sad what the my the NFL is becoming. I love the game of Football but I hate the NFL.

16. “More like burning tapes that would have been grounds for the Patriots to be permanently banished from the NFL, and you’re pulling this?”

Your tinfoil hat might be on too tight. No team would be banished for taping defensive signals the year after all of the teams were asked to knock it off.

Meanwhile, that sound you hear is the moral high ground collapsing under Mara’s feet.

17. Sure seems to be a double standard being applied here. Greg Hardy’s victim didn’t cooperate either, but that didn’t stop the league from suspending him. Mara is quick to get on the high ground in all these social issues, yet when it hits his team he says domestic abuse is a complex issue.

18. if the pats had a player with a domestic history like this, they would be strung up and chastised daily on espn and all over the internet 24/7.

19. Josh Brown grabbed his wife’s wrist, he did not beat her. One person here that NEVER grabbed someone please stand up. As far as 20 other times per his wife ? I don’t believe her. Listen to her 911 call. She sounds like the unstable one and you can hear Nosh Brown also and he does not raise his voice once. Anyone that is divorced knows 90% of the time the X is going to crucify you when they are talking about you

I read the posts and man, you people really know how to extrapolate a subject. Get real.

20. Remember when the Giants organization (Mara) had the Skins give up salary cap money for their own gain? I do…and it did nothing for them. I cannot wait for the Skins to take their lunch again this year.

21. the fact that he will still employ someone found to be as abusive towards women as Brown as been found to be says all you need to know about POS Mara!!!

22. The Giants are strongly against domestic violence until it gets complicated and they’re not anymore. Mara is second to only Roger Goodell as the most reprehensible executive in the league. They both are embarrassment and a stain on the NFL.

23. eazeback says:
    Aug 24, 2016 1:12 PM

white privilege…

===============

Nah. If he was on tape doing something, he’d be gone in a flash. There are lots of domestic violence incidents on NFL rosters.

And I say this as someone who thinks Ray Rice got a raw deal.

24. mongo3401 says:

Aug 24, 2016 1:12 PM
    Josh Brown grabbed his wife’s wrist, he did not beat her.

One person here that NEVER grabbed someone please stand up

Well I’m Standing and I know I’n NOT alone

25. My ex-wife has slapped me 10 times. There. That’s about what you all have now to decide whether her employer should fire her.

26. His wife never accused him of actually hitting her. It’s why he was never charged.

You people are so dumb I’m embarrassed for you 🙂

27. Charges were filed but didn’t stick and the ex-wife refused to cooperate for her side of the story when given the opportunity. There are always 2 sides to every story and we have limited details on one side. You HAVE to use the innocent until proven guilt for these suspensions. Was Ray Rice guilty? Absolutely. Was Greg Hardy guilty? Absolutely (he was convicted). The only thing that Josh Brown is proven guilty of is that he was in a very volatile marriage and now that is over….

Playing devils advocate here – now that the NFL has incorporated a baseline 6 game suspension for domestic violence – how many women have threatened NFL players with filing a claim of domestic abuse when the relationship has gone sour? Any gentleman knows that you do not hit a lady but how many women have used this as leverage?

28. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Aug 24, 2016 12:43 PM

Turn blind eye?

—————————-

Oh my. What could have been on those tapes that would cause a team to get banished from the NFL?

29. kevpft says:
    Aug 24, 2016 1:21 PM

eazeback says:
    Aug 24, 2016 1:12 PM

white privilege…

===============

And I say this as someone who thinks Ray Rice got a raw deal.
    —————————————————-
    I disagree because if he was a 37 year old black player, kicker no less, he would be let go

“because this sort of thing cant be tolerated”

just my opinion tho

30. Brown should be cut, there should be zero tolerance on this type of behavior.

I thought the G-Men were better then this. I was wrong.

31. Another thing to consider….the subject is a kicker. In my best Allen Iverson voice….a kicker. Mara wouldn’t stake this franchise’s reputation on a kicker if there was an ounce of confirmed truth to these rumors.

Like I said above… my ex-wife slapped me 10x while we were married. Now you have just as much to go on to get her fired from her job as the NFL has on Brown.

Just Giants’ jealousy here is all. I get it. We’re the flagship. The standard bearer. The team with 4 straight decades of having a Lombardi. We’re used to it.

32. justintuckrule says:
    Aug 24, 2016 1:22 PM

———————-

Her employers, like most people here, would likely find it to be justified behavior.

33. If you think smacking around your wife and child is okay, then you have a problem and should have NO PLACE IN THE NFL.

I don’t care how talented you are or how big of a star you are. If you feel like you can’t handle life and smack your family around, then you shouldn’t have the PRIVILEGE of being in the NFL.

NFL = Not For Lowlifes

There needs to be a stand made by BOTH the NFL and NFLPA on domestic violence. Words are not actions.

34. Domestic violence against the wife… one game. Unproven allegations of deflated footballs that betrays the law of science… four games. This is one seriously messed up league!

35. No reason to cut Josh Brown, except the current head coach and most influential player on the team said they will not tolerate any player involved in domestic violence on team. Easy stand to take, but both McAdoo and Eli both folded when it came time to put action behind their comments.

36. No reason to cut Brown? Domestic violence isn’t reason enough, apparently, and you signed him anyway.

Whatever, Frankenhead. This is the same guy who kicked and screamed that the Cowboys and Skins should lose draft picks a few years back for spending more $ than other teams in an UNCAPPED year. Yet, you sign a player who was arrested for domestic violence AND you won’t cut him now because there is “no reason” to do so? Yeah, that makes total sense.

Mara is a complete and utter tool.

37. Aug 24, 2016 1:38 PM – waynefontesismyfather says: Someone should beat old man Mara and see how he likes domestic violence. Wanna bet he cuts Josh Brown after that?

I think you should march over there and grab his wrist RIGHT NOW!

38. To the people saying they dont believe the wife – she called the cops on him over 20 times. If she truly was lying and trying to set him up, he would have dumped her by the 4th or 5th time fore sure – nobody would stand for that! The only way they stayed together is because he was at fault and begging her not to go through with charges.

39. bunch of garbage.

Greg Hardy’s sat out 15 games – then had his case tossed out – then was suspended 10 games – and reduced to 4 on appeal.

he lost 19 games for a single incident where the charges were dismissed.

Brown had 20 incidents – also charges were dropped and he loses out on 1 game

40. Way to weasel under that morality bar Mara….I can see NO reason to keep someone on a team (player, coach, assistant, waterboy….etc.) who would hit their wife and child.

Oh wait we need a kicker and there was never any charges filed….domestic violence is such a complex and emotional decision….and his wife said she kicked him in the ribs….

Stay classy New York…..the KARMA train is a coming down the tracks…..

41. Ray Rice got a raw deal? Punching a woman unconscious should put him in prison, not on suspension.
    Keeping Josh Brown without even a meaningful suspension is weird: even if you overlooked the legal/ethical problems (which the Giants seem to be doing) and looked at it from a “strictly football” perspective, why do you need this distraction when kickers are easily replaced?

42. Ya’ll feign outrage, owners included. But let it be one of your guys and all of a sudden the tone changes. Mara and Jones, two of the gang of owners who demanded Goodell level the playing field and railroaded Tom Brady and the Patriots. Hypocritical turds. There’s not enough bad karma to pay back what those whiney losers perpetrated on an innocent man.

43. I can’t wait to see the vaunted New York press corp bring Mara to his knees.(sarcasm) Also, it’s pretty interesting watching all the Giants fans showing their true homer colors. Like I have said, wait till it’s your team or your guy. If this were an Eagle, Redskin or Cowboy player like say, Greg Hardy, Giant fan would be all righteously indignant if the owner of those teams came up with complex and emotional as an excuse. They’d want heads on a platter.

44. I am a lifelong Giants fan who has lost a lot of respect for John Mara. This isn’t the first time he’s sided with one of his players who was too rough on his wife. The fact Brown was suspended for even just one game indicates there was some kind of abuse. He’s bright enough to realize his wife was afraid to lose a big portion of her support and also drag her family into an ugly court battle if she testified. She was intimidated and Mara put his stamp on it.

45. chuckshontaspads says:
    Aug 24, 2016 12:36 PM
    ========================================

You guys are “evil” because you cheat. Giants don’t cut a guy who was never charged where there is no real evidence of wrongdoing. Let’s hope an ex never says you did anything wrong or you’d lose your job according to your logic. Salem witch trials much? He hit me once! Fire that man!

When there is evidence, you cut. When there isn’t, you get suspended 1 game for no real reason.

46. “You HAVE to use the innocent until proven guilt for these suspensions. ”

That didn’t seem to apply to Brady. Or the Saints.

47. ““You HAVE to use the innocent until proven guilt for these suspensions. ”

That didn’t seem to apply to Brady. Or the Saints.”

Or the Fins.

48. It must be a lot of woman in this forum. Anyone can accuse you of doing something wrong. If that something is not proven then that something can not and should not be held against you. This public lynching is ridiculous. Let’s stick to the topic. Other situations is not this situation. And the DV rule is not a point blank 6 game suspension rule. So a one game suspension should be enough to say “don’t get yourself into these types of situations.” .