Kam Chancellor “a little surprised” by Ezekiel Elliott’s physical play

Getty Images

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might not like that running back Ezekiel Elliott was photographed at a legal marijuana dispensary in Seattle, but he probably likes that there wasn’t any sign of a mellow Elliott in his first game action of the preseason.

Elliott ran for 48 yards on seven carries against the Seahawks and showed no qualms about initiating contact with Seattle defenders in an effort to grind out a few more yards at the end of runs. Some of those collisions came with Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor, who said after the game that he was surprised by Elliott’s willingness to take on contact.

“I was, because there was no film on him,” Chancellor said, via the Seattle Times. “I didn’t know if he was going to juke me or not, so I was a little surprised. But not the second time. Second time you know I’m bringing that wood. I was a little surprised the first time, but he has a lot of courage for that. I’ll give it to him. But if it was a full game, it would have been a bloodbath.”

Chancellor picked up a personal foul for hitting Elliott late on an incomplete pass, something he said wasn’t meant as a “Welcome to the NFL” moment for a rookie who wasn’t showing any fear of getting hit. Chancellor might not have been sending a message with that hit, but Elliott was — “I had to let them know I belong here” — and it’s unlikely that any defenders will face him in the future without knowing that there’s going to be a lot of hitting.

97 responses to “Kam Chancellor “a little surprised” by Ezekiel Elliott’s physical play

1. as an eagles fan, I can appreciate a tough nosed back for any team, even the cowpies.

2. Kudos to Ezekiel.

Side Note: “Nobody was the ‘least bit surprised’ Tony Romo’s back lasted just 3 snaps.”

3. A high first round pick is probably going to show what he’s got, even in a preseason game. Sounds like Zeke won the battle with Kam last night.

4. You can do that for 10-12 games at the collegiate level with only about half your games against legit opponents.
    Let’s see how he holds up doing that for 16 games against NFL defenses.
    I like the aggressiveness, but it doesn’t bode well for long term bodily health.

5. Bush league the way the Shehawks D was playing last night. Glad to see Elliott give it back to them.

6. Funny how if it’s your GUY, “man the guy’s a beast”, if it’s the other team ” It’s only Pre-season”, just face it Prescott is really, really good and Elliot is a beast in waiting, Also you know it’s only Pre-season for the Cowboys too, can’t wait to see when the lights turn on…

7. RB’s have a short shelf life anyway, so I’m curious to see if double E has a similar career path to Ricky Williams. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took some time off to smoke some weed after signing his next big money contract.

8. the seahawks seem very insecure to me.

I had to laugh at them keeping their starters in against the third string defense and the announcers boasting about their ability to move the ball in the third quarter.

9. Elliot did good against a great D in a preseason game…. It’s too bad the Hawks don’t play the Cowgirls again this year, because I can promise Kam will get the best of that battle in the end. (Over a whole game or even a half)… Maybe in the playoffs… They can come back to Seattle. See you in January.

10. RB’s have a short shelf life anyway, so I’m curious to see if double E has a similar career path to Ricky Williams. It wouldn’t surprise me if he took some time off to smoke some weed after signing his next big money contract.

—–

And why would that be any business of yours?

11. Chancellor got rocked, no excuses.

Like somebody else alluded to, he’s not big enough to play like that all the time.

12. cobrala2 says:
    Aug 26, 2016 9:04 AM

Kudos to Ezekiel.

——————————————————

Any QB would have left the game getting hit awkwardly like that. And your comment doesn’t make any sense, hes fine. So the back has lasted beyond 3 snaps.

13. Nobody had even broke a sweat yet by the time Elliot was pulled. Who knows how he would have fared down the stretch.

Dam Prescott was the real story I think. He was looking like a year-two Russell Wilson out there, and I would bet he’s seen every snap of Russell’s career and studied what makes him successful. Looks to me like the Cowboys might have struck gold with that kid.

14. The main thing I look for in the preseason is how the rookies fair with NFL speed. Elliott looks like he is plenty fast enough for the NFL game. And his blocking was fantastic. If healthy, I think he is going to be one of the great ones.

15. Major props to Elliott for going head to head with arguably the hardest hitter in football. With that being said he needs to be smart enough to learn how to avoid tackles far more than trying to plow through a defender or his body will break down far too soon. Marshawn Lynch is a perfect example.

16. he needs to be smart enough to learn how to avoid tackles far more than trying to plow through a defender or his body will break down far too soon. Marshawn Lynch is a perfect example.
    ===============================
    Marshawn Lynch lasted 9 years, I think he did ok without avoiding tackles his entire career

17. The Seahawks defense is not what it once was. Remember when the bandwagon “12s” were proclaiming themselves a dynasty?

18. Run like Earl Campbell and end up like Earl Campbell.

Eventually they will get him more than good. Be smartrt and know how to make your body last.

19. Seahag player cannot stand not being the bully, so he resorts to late hits and tough talk from the locker room. Window closed Seahag fan, 9-7 team by the looks of it.

20. herkiethehawk says:
    Aug 26, 2016 9:22 AM
    the seahawks seem very insecure to me.

________

Welcome to football. In the NFL, most teams play most of their starters for 3 quarters in the 3rd preseason game. Next week, the Seahawks won’t play any of their starters. Will you come back and say that they seem very secure because they didn’t play their starters?

Aside from that, as a Seahawks fan, Elliot looked awesome and will be a good one. I can understand why he’d want to go out and try to make a statement that he belongs. For his own sake though, I hope he learns to avoid some of those hits instead of running straight through them. 16 games is a long season and even the worst linebackers and safeties in the NFL are bigger and better than the best he saw in college. He looks like a stud though, Cowboy fans have a lot to be excited about.

21. Too bad Seattle doesn’t want to pay you Kam. So you’re sacrificing your body for nothing. I hope you can still remember your name when you’re 40.

22. How typical of Kam to get run over then show how tough he is by hitting him late like he did. That’s a real tough guy there.

I wonder if he’s going to hold out for more money if he promises not to commit any more personal fouls like that.

23. I’ll give Elliott credit for lowering the shoulder against Kam Chancellor, but he’s no Derrick Henry.

24. Kam Chancellor “a little surprised” by Ezekiel Elliott’s physical play

Translation:
    I better some mo PED’s cause dat boy is strong!

25. sb44champs says:
    Aug 26, 2016 10:04 AM

===============================

Lynch was hurt most of last year and for the 3 years prior be was being tended to by a trainer on the sidelines when the offense wasn’t on the field. Take away his back problems and he could have lasted another 2-3 years easily.

26. Behind that O-line he will have an awesome year — provided he runs smart and isn’t on IR after 6 games.

27. Zeke says clearly that he wanted to set a tone and let people know that he belongs. This was his first time on the field in an NFL game. He’s not going to be out there trying to bull thru everything every time he gets the ball, but he is not going to shy away from contact. He IS a beast as a blocker though. He’s a smart, tough kid who has the potential and talent to be a really, really good back in this league. Especially behind that damn line.

As a Buckeye fan and a Steelers fan I am torn by wanting to see him do well but hating the Cowboys.

28. Everyone should go to a Marijuana store once. Even if you aren’t going to buy anything. Out of towners should especially go to them.

I went when ours first opened in Everett Washington just to see what they had. When I got inside though, I had a profound experience.

When you stand in the middle of a store, and consider that there has been Millions and MILLIONS of people arrested, jailed, lives ruined, families broken up, people killed by police for possession and attempting to flee, or people killed because of its black market status…

It is an amazing feeling to stand in the middle of a dispensary. Amazing that people are allowed medicinal and recreational freedom. Everyone should go. It is freedom, something Americans are so used to losing for too long now.

29. Bloodbath??? He ran right threw Chancellor twice… I hate the Cowboys but I loved it!!!! Ezekiel is legit!

30. I’m not a Cowboys fan, but what a great attitude for your rookie running back to have. Very impressive.

31. nosleeptilsb says:
    Aug 26, 2016 9:24 AM
    He and Romo both on the PUP list by week 3.

____________________

If you’re going to be a troll then at least be a knowledgeable one, or learn the rules before you make yourself sound stupid again. A player that practices in training camp CANNOT be place on the PUP list. There is a huge difference between PUP and IR, so learn the difference

32. Easy to see why Trump has so many followers. Cowards, sniveling name calling trolls–ALL of which would do none of it if they had to face anyone for their words. I just keep wondering what crap mothers/fathers raised all your wilting daisies? It’s a true disgrace.

33. I saw one highlight where they stood each other up. Supposedly this happened twice, but I have yet to see another highlight proving it. Not impressed, not even by the wishful trolls who have nothing going on with their own teams.

34. Cowboys do have a true up and coming superstar HB. Its nice to know that with the Beast Mode and All Day retiring or hitting the last leg there will be guys like him and a few others to take the ball and run.

35. nhpats says:

———————————————————
    Yeah, they’re returning 9-11 starters and 10-11 backups on the defense that’s been #1 in the NFL for the last 4 years, plus they added Jarran Reed a couple of other young studs in the draft. I’m sure they won’t be #1 in the NFL again.

In other news, the Seahawks quarterback is NOT suspended for 1/4th of the season for cheating.

36. r502 says:

———————————————————
    That hit was NOT late. Call was a joke but we’re used to getting jobbed like that as Seahawk fans. Dallas OL are HOF in the holding department too, which helped Zeke look better than he otherwise would have.

As for 9 wins, the Seahawks will have that by Thanksgiving.

37. richndc says:
    Aug 26, 2016 11:13 AM

———————————–
    Anyone who still votes or believes in politics is clueless.. That would be you.. Go somewhere else with your garbage..

PS Trump is controlled opposition… Hilary was picked and groomed to be president years ago…

38. But cowboy fans don’t care. Just like the last time the Redskins played Dallas, Farren McFadden lead with his helmet desperate for more yards in garbage time injuring two of our players. One may never play again. But go right on ahead Zeke. You will be knocked out by game 5.

39. After reading these comments I had to re-watch all of Zeke’s runs over and over again. I guess they erased the film of him “trucking” or “running through” Kam in last nights game. I didn’t see a single instance of Kam getting trucked or ran through. I saw them collide into each other one time after a lowered shoulder by Zeke but would hardly call that a trucking. Believe me, I don’t want to give the Seahawks anymore credit than I have to (Packers fan) but come on…hyperbolic much?

40. RegisHawk says:

———————————————————
    Daniel Jerimiah posted the highlights. Zeke gained 1-yard after contact on two hits by Chancellor. It’s just that most other backs crumple like an Ikea chair when Kam hits them so it makes Zeke look better.

41. As a collegian, Elliot was awesome without the ball in his hands. He would destroy defenders with his blocks. It will be interesting to see if he can continue that pattern in the NFL.

42. Should Jerry hire Michael Irving to babysit Bong Boy Zeke? Man, shopping at a MJ Dispensary on game day is not a good look. JJ sure knows how to pick em!

43. Elliot = 7 carries – 48 yds

Michael = 7 carries – 58 yds

But if you read the internet… Elliot is Jesus second coming.

Tip your hat, the kid played well. But come on people…

44. And Romo sure takes a beating for having the “greatest offensive line ever” blocking for him.

45. Thought both Ezekiel and Dak looked great. Definitely *not* a Cowboys fan, but I think Dallas fans have a good future to look forward to (now, only if Jerry would get his hands out of it all…).

Go Hawks!

46. galaxybeing says:
    Aug 26, 2016 11:29 AM
    r502 says:

———————————————————

As for 9 wins, the Seahawks will have that by Thanksgiving.

————-

If it were not for the refs helping out the Seahawks they would not even have made the postseason last year….. The Cardinals are the class of the AFC West……Seahawks will be lucky to eke out a wildcard.

47. richndc says:
    Aug 26, 2016 11:13 AM

Easy to see why You’re a Trump follower. Cowards, sniveling name calling trolls–ALL of whichdescribes you and Trump to a tee.I just keep wondering what crap mothers/fathers raised wilting daisies like you and Trump? It’s a true disgrace.

48. These NFL players are so stupid. It’s so simple, yet they just don’t get it. They are playing in the NFL with the chance to make in a few years more money than a whole bunch of us won’t make in our lifetimes, even if we pooled our money together.
    The NFL rules say you can’t do weed. Case closed. I don’t care what any player or fan thinks about it, it’s the rule.
    So — these nitwit NFL players must abide by it. But how many players have to be suspended before it sinks into their thick skulls that they must stay away from it?
    Elliott was photographed in a shop where it’s sold legally. So, technically, he’s done nothing wrong. But come on! Why even give an inkling to the NFL that he’s even the slightest bit interested in doing it?
    Once it becomes legal all over and the NFL changes the rule about using it, I won’t care if they hand it to the players on the bench during games. But until then — anyone of them who uses it is just stupid. Period. And anyone who whines that it’s unfair is also stupid. A rule is a rule and that’s all there is to it.

49. – Chancellor picked up a personal foul for hitting Elliott late on an incomplete pass, something he said wasn’t meant as a “Welcome to the NFL” –

No, it was meant as a desperate, flailing defense of “the world is watching a rookie take my lunch money”. Hey, someone get the window – oh, nevermind, it’s CLOSED.

50. Elliot = 7 carries – 48 yds

Michael = 7 carries – 58 yds

But if you read the internet… Elliot is Jesus second coming.

Tip your hat, the kid played well. But come on people…

_______________

Elliot did his damage against starters. Michael did his against guys that are fighting to make the roster of 75

51. Kudos to the kid for being willing to stick it in there.
    But let’s face it, didn’t look much like Earl Campbell v Isaiah Robertson, either.

52. We are SB bound so look at NFL. Zek is a beast and McFadden and Morris are above average. We finally have a strong backup to keep this stud team going all the way to the SB.

HOW BOUT THOSE COWBOYS!!!!

JJ BEST GM IN NFL AND WEASEL SYNDER WISH HE HAD 1/10 TH OF THE FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE AS JJ.

53. galaxybeing says:
    Aug 26, 2016 11:25 AM
    nhpats says:

———————————————————

————-
    The Broncos had the #1 defense last season. And who cares anyway, if it were not for the refs throwing games to the Seahawks, they would not even have sniffed the playoffs last season.

Brady exposed Seattle’s secondary in the SB and they haven’t been the same since. And he will do so again when they meet in Foxboro later this season. The only question is, will Richard Sherman cry again this time?

54. Liked what I saw from the rookie last night (especially his blocking) but I do have one concern. Zeke shouldn’t be so eager to run over everybody without regard for his body. Its a long season and he will be better served to avoid “the big hit” on every carry….especially if he wants the big contract in 3-4 years. That being said, I love the never back down attitude!

55. Kam is full of it. Zeke is a premier back in this league, and hasn’t even played a down (Ravens fan, not a Cowboys fan). And, yeah, he is going to bring it for 4 quarters. You are a quality player in a great system. But, nothing more.

56. Seahag player cannot stand not being the bully, so he resorts to late hits and tough talk from the locker room. Window closed Seahag fan, 9-7 team by the looks of it.
    ———————————————————

As for 9 wins, the Seahawks will have that by Thanksgiving.

————-

———–

Agree that the Seahawks are no longer the class of the NFCW. The Cardinals are clearly the better team. I see 9-7 as well.

57. Rdog says:
    Aug 26, 2016 10:34 AM
    ____________________________________
    You are right about that. Zeke has an NFL future beyond 3 years and will going to the ProBowl while Derrick Follows the path of Trent Richardson

58. Seattle will win 9 games max, simply because of Russell Wilson. The defens is nothing to talk about. It was hilarious seening Zeke bounce of Kam with a spin move and then Richard Sherman tries to talk trash once he brings him down after a 9 yard carry.

Seattle fans are milleniall dbags

59. LOL @ the Seahawk fan complaining about the holding by Dallas’Oline…

Hawks’ DBs have been getting away with holding for the last 4-5 years.

60. as a viking fan its great to watch the run game return with gurley and elliott.

techmo-bowl shootouts make for boring football.

61. hustlelikerussell says:
    Aug 26, 2016 11:36 AM
    Elliot = 7 carries – 48 yds

Michael = 7 carries – 58 yds

But if you read the internet… Elliot is Jesus second coming.

Tip your hat, the kid played well. But come on people…

_____________________

Elliott = 7 carries – 48 yds. Against SEATTLE 1ST TEAM defense.

Michael = 7 carries – 58 yds. Against DALLAS 2ND-3RD TEAM defense.

There I fixed it for you

62. Alfred Morris would make a Pro Bowl with that awesome OLine. Zeke Elliott may be the league MVP if he can hold up. Good luck to you Dallas fans this year. You got yourself a player there in #21.
    Hope we meet you guys in the playoffs in CLink in November!!!

63. Elliott has played 0 reg season games and already has a ticket to the HOF? He shouldn’t risk injury then and just collect checks til the enshrinement…..think about being able to walk at your child’s graduation.

64. I would like to see Kam Chancellor not hurt himself with meaningless hits early in the season so that he is available in December and January

65. No dog in the fight here – but Elliott obviously looked good, and Kam just told the truth – that he went at him a little soft and got tagged. He didn’t say Elliott was garbage, or weak, he basically just said he didn’t realize what was coming. If he denied getting tagged, or said he lost his footing, or whatever, you guys would eat him up. Let’s just get to the regular season already!! Finally..

66. jaxon51 says:Hope we meet you guys in the playoffs in CLink in November!!!

…………………..

Playoffs in November this year huh……you are hurting hawk fan street cred here

67. packer fan talking about the refs helping the Seahawks win games last year. Kettle meet pot. hahaha. packer fans must have been too drunk to recall the ending of the Lions game.

68. nhpats says:

——-
    Wait a second! For 4 years straight all you haters have said the Seattle D was never anything, even after leading the NFL for 4 straight years…and now you’re saying “it once was” what? For you haters have never claimed it once was anything, even though the stats proved you wrong.

I’m confused. You can’t have it both ways bud.