Vikings shopping center John Sullivan

Getty Images

It’s apparently time to trade a center. Or at least test the market for potential trades involving centers.

The Vikings are shopping veteran center John Sullivan, PFT has confirmed.

On the same day Bryan Stork’s failed physical restarted the Redskins’ search for help at the position and rumors surfaced that the Seahawks will listen to offers for Patrick Lewis comes news that the Vikings are willing to trade Sullivan.

While Lewis has slipped to No. 2 on the depth chart in Seattle, the Vikings still list Sullivan as their starter. Sullivan, 31, missed all of last season due to a back injury and the Vikings still have Joe Berger, who started all 16 games last year at center, on their roster.

Sullivan started the first two preseason games but was held out of the third.

46 responses to “Vikings shopping center John Sullivan

1. It’s so frustrating watching a well coached and managed team when we have Mike and Ted. Berger is obviously the superior option. I’m not sure what the trade value is for a back up center with a bad back that just missed a full season. But, the Vikings should keep him around if they can’t trade him in case injuries along the line ruin their season like last year. Berger can play anywhere in the interior and Sullivan can fill in at center if/when injuries occur.

2. Berger looked really good yesterday.

Still, very strange to see this headline. Sullivan has ranked out as the best Center in the NFL on multiple occasions, just has to stay healthy.

3. Depth and experience is a goodnthing for offensive lInes to have.

I do have a question though what’s up with field level seats? To stare at the backsides of camera men coaches players and cheerleaders?

4. I’m going to hate to see Sully go. Great character guy who has been a very good player. That’s the kind of guy you want on your team, but he makes more money than Berger and isn’t as versatile.

That’s the problem with having one of the most talented teams in the NFL. You have to lose a lot of good players at cutdown time.

5. shaggytoodle says:
    Aug 29, 2016 6:45 PM

_____

Probably mostly the cheerleaders.

These people must just want to be really close to the action. There are TVs in the suite and two huge video boards if they want to actually see the game.

6. I don’t think the center competition was really about Sully vs Berger. I think it was more about Sully vs. Easton. It was obvious in the preseason games that Berger is much more physical. Soprano wants maulers and Sullivan’s game was always more about smarts and positioning, more of a finesse game. But Sully was a good Viking for many years. If he does get traded or cut, he will be missed in that o-line room.

7. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Aug 29, 2016 6:53
    Probably mostly the cheerleaders.
    ________________
    I am guessing there are TVs in a lot of their homes too… paying big bucks to be close to the action doesn’t do much good, to be mostly walled off by the team seems silly.

8. If Sully’s back holds up he is still a very good center. The Vikings have Easton to back up Berger, and maybe eventually be the starting center. But the Vikes need a RT.

The Bears need a center, but I don’t know if they have anybody at RT worth taking in trade. Washington obviously wants a center. Not sure who else out there needs one.

9. I don’t think we have both sides of the story. Sullivan might have an interest in winning a Superbowl and is demanding a trade. His knowledge of Norv Turner’s inept offense might be his over riding motivation.

Either that or he just wants to get out of Minnesota.

10. shaggytoodle says:
    Aug 29, 2016 6:45 PM
    Depth and experience is a goodnthing for offensive lInes to have.

———————————-

Some of them are in the endzone, which would be out of the way of the sidelines. Why do you care anyway?

11. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Aug 29, 2016 6:51 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waitaminute. You’re constantly whining about the O-line as one of the reasons young Theodore hasn’t done much. Now they’re so deep with talent on the O-line, they’re forced to lose good players? So which is it?

12. I would be surprised if this it true. I think they are probably some players that are going to be cut that the Vikings are trying to get something for, Wright, Patterson, Ham but I doubt very seriously Sully is one of those.

13. The Vikings have one of the worst OLs in in the league in 15, but manage to look good against one of the worst front 7s in the last 10 years for one quarter of a PREseason game and suddenly they have “quality depth.”

You’ve got to love Vikings fans. So bloody irrational it’s downright comical.

14. whatjusthapped says:
    Aug 29, 2016 7:46 PM

Jordy was talking about leaving GB yesterday. He was saying if he got cut he would move on like some other recent packers have done before him. I didn’t think he was in line to be cut. He is one of Aaron’s favorites. But he is 31 coming back from a ACL injury.
    Either that or Jordy just wants to get out of GB.

15. ad296 says:
    Aug 29, 2016 7:50 PM

________

That’s exactly the kind of answer I would expect from someone who has NO CLUE why they have those stupid seats either. They have some in the end zone, they have twice as many on the sidelines and those are the ones that have you looking at the backs of players and team logos on the coaching staff.

16. In Teddy We Trust says:
    Aug 29, 2016 6:51 PM

———-

Apparently you missed Boone’s turnstile imitation on Sunday.

17. I would hate to Sully go but Berger played OK last year and has looked good in preseason. Im sure they will look to draft a center next year but I hate to give up depth on an offensive line that is questionable at best headed into the season. Granted we looked good yesterday against San Diego but a preseason game against a 4 and 12 team isnt selling me enough to get rid of a veteran on the OL.

18. Maybe he can play nose for GB….the way that D has looked, they’re gonna get gashed all year.

19. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Aug 29, 2016 8:52 PM
    Told you Vike fans that Sully was done. I know more about your team then you do, and it’s not even my team

In addition- I don’t know the difference between than and then.

20. Bears please do this. Ted Larsen is not getting the job done at either G or C. In fact very few of Ryan Pace’s FA signings are really working out right now.

21. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Aug 29, 2016 7:50 PM

_______

No doubt the offensive line is the weakest unit on the team, but they’ve added a lot of players since last year. Sullivan didn’t play last year and that gave Berger the opportunity to show he can do the job. Center wasn’t the problem with the line, it was pretty much every other position.

22. zerotrophiessince1961 says:
    Aug 29, 2016 8:25 PM

You’ve got to love Vikings fans. So bloody irrational it’s downright comical.

You’ve got to love Cheeseheads, so bloody bored with their downward spiraling team they’ve got to troll a Vikings article.

23. shaggytoodle says:
    Aug 29, 2016 7:12 PM
    ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

You can watch the game at home with a back on your seat too … paying big bucks to sit on aluminum benches in 2016 seems really silly.

24. shaggytoodle says:
    Aug 29, 2016 7:12 PM
    In Teddy We Trust says:
    Aug 29, 2016 6:53
    Probably mostly the cheerleaders.
    ________________

———————-

There are also actual stocks you can purchase that yield dividends and growth. It’s their money, they can spend it on whatever they want.

25. This is surprising to hear, especially after all the deserved criticism the OL took last year.

The only reason the Vikings would be doing this is if they are satisfied that Easton or Kerin are performing well enough to fill in should Berger get hurt, and that Sullivan’s current performance level isn’t worth $11 million over the next two years.

I doubt they’ll have any takers though.

26. greenbaylibrarybreathalyzer says:
    Aug 29, 2016 10:03 PM
    /////////////////////////////////////

I know it’s only preseason and I know it’s mostly second, third, and fourth stringers, but where is this stupid opinion coming from?

The Packers preseason squad is ranked #1 in defense.

I know, I know….I don’t care either. But I’m not the one that made the clueless comment.

27. When you’re 3 quality deep in virtually every position you can’t keep them all. Speilman, Zimmer and co. have done a great job getting premiere talent and backups. It truly is next man up as compared to next girl up to the east…

28. fmc651 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 7:43 AM
    ///////////////////////////////////////////

I have season tickets at Lambeau on the ten yard line 30 rows up and rent a seat with a back, all for less than $120.00 per game, all-in. Great seats, great atmosphere, close to restrooms and concessions. Wouldn’t trade it for anything.

I just bought tickets for Opening Day at US Bank against the Packers. They couldn’t be more nosebleed if they were on the roof. $390.00 all-in.

You want to talk silly? Let’s talk.

29. ariani1985 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 10:20 AM
    come to green Bay! we thrive at playoff failure!
    ///////////////////////////////

arianal……you’re embarrassing yourself again. Everyone knows there isn’t team in the NFL that has lost in the postseason more than the Vikings. And I’m not even talking about the most one-and-done appearances.

You need some new material.

30. Sully was getting pushed around in 2014, the season before his back injury, and was getting pushed around all summer too — particularly in the Bengals scrimmages. He’d be great to keep around, but the problem is he has no position flexibility, only playing center. Combine that with Berger playing so well at a fraction of the cost, and the decision is made. Berger is 33 or 34 though, so they’d better really like that Easton kid.

I agree those field level suites are stupid — the only advantage is the club/restaurant amenities — but what the hell is the point? Overall, the stadium sight lines and experience are pretty damn nice — love my 10 yard line seats that apparently run about the same cost as Lambeau end zone seats.

And a cheeser overpaying for tickets on the open market to an away game for his team? Is that supposed to be surprising news?

31. stellarperformance says:
    Aug 30, 2016 10:46 AM
    fmc651 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 7:43 AM
    ///////////////////////////////////////////

You want to talk silly? Let’s talk.

—–

You might want to talk more about your timing on ticket purchases. My buddy bought GB -vs- MN for $140/ticket and I can buy nosebleeds right now for $280 on stubhub.

32. fmc651 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 7:43 AM

_____________

At least you will be able to see the game from those aluminum benches. Those who want to bring up the stock fans know what they are getting when they purchase that, I would rather spend 250 on “stock” than hundreds more to stare at the back of APS head.

33. We aren’t “stuck with” the bleachers by any means. We like them and we want to keep them. They’ve been voted on a few times over the years and every time, the vote has been to keep them.

If you don’t want to sit on the bleachers, you should stay home. Take the money you would have spent at Lambeau and put it towards enjoying another home game at your shiny new stadium or maybe even a home playoff game. I’d like to see you guys get as much enjoyment as humanly possible out of it because let’s face it, you’re only going to be able to do so for about 15 years before Ziggy starts strong arming you for its replacement.

Yeah, I can live with the bleachers.

34. I know I paid a lot for those tickets, a lot more than if I sat and watched the computer for a month straight, or if “my buddy” did it for me.

But you know what? It’s the Packers. There’s a reason Viking management wanted the Packers for this game and the NFL wanted the Packers for this game. It’s because everyone wants the Packers. Even you guys wanted the Packers. You gotta pay for that privilege.

The tickets will go back down to normal levels for the rest of the season, as soon as this game is over.