Bridgewater has torn ACL and dislocated knee, but no nerve damage

Getty Images

As expected, Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater has suffered a significant knee injury that will end his 2016 season before it began. But there’s some reason for optimism.

The Vikings released a statement this evening saying that Bridgewater does not appear to have any damage to nerves or arteries and should be able to make a full recovery.

“Teddy Bridgewater suffered a non-contact injury today at practice,” Vikings head trainer Eric Sugarman said in a statement. “The injury was quickly identified as a dislocated knee. The injury was stabilized, and he was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment and evaluation. After undergoing an MRI, it was determined that Teddy suffered a complete tear to his ACL and other structural damage. Fortunately, there appears to be no nerve or arterial damage. Surgical repair will be scheduled within the next few days. Although the recovery time will be significant, we expect Teddy to make a full recovery. I would like to thank all of the medical professionals and our athletic training staff for all of their help today. Teddy has already displayed the attitude needed to overcome this injury and attack his rehab.”

Although the statement didn’t specifically call Bridgewater’s season over, it’s impossible to imagine that he could play this year with a complete tear to his ACL, a dislocated knee and other structural damage. The lack of nerve damage, however, indicates that Bridgewater will play in 2017.

143 responses to “Bridgewater has torn ACL and dislocated knee, but no nerve damage

1. whew. Glad to hear that. Dislocated knees are gruesome looking, which explains teammates reactions. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is back on the field week 1 of the 2017 season.

2. Packer Fan Here:

My deepest sympathy to the Queens. Basically the same injury that Jordy had.

Hopefully he will be back for next season. I truly wish him the best.

3. Hate to see this happen, but this is the best case scenario under the circumstances. He’s getting hurt early in the year and doesn’t have the dreaded nerve damage. With him being a pocket passer, he should be back to be playing well in 2017.

4. poor vikes

my friend is a minn season ticket holder and he is beside himself. expectations and excitement were sky high this year. and new stadium too.

5. You get Ponder but you Must take Kaepernick or “no”. Two for one deal ,it must include your 3rd round pick.

6. Hate to see anyone go down with an injury like this but glad to hear there is no nerve damage. Hopefully surgery goes well and he gets on APs rehab plan and is good to go next season.

7. Packer trolls have already shown their classless takes on previous Bridgewater updates.

Totally classless……remember pack fans what they say about KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. holmatic says:

Any chance this injury occurred on his long run and juke move on Sunday on the new field turf?

Yea, he just walked around with a dislocated knee and a torn ACL for 2 and a half days before he realized it.

9. Wow, I guess, considering the description of the injury, this is about as good an outcome as could reasonably be expected. The first person that came to my mind was Marcus Lattimore.

Hopefully, surgery goes well, and he indeed does make a full recovery.

10. holmatic says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:30 PM
    ——————————————————–
    Highly unlikely. Teddy played another whole quarter after that run without a hint of injury.

11. Tough break for everyone, fans included.

This will be a test to see what the team is made of. I still think they will surprise some people.

I wonder how it happened. Did the sod give way or what? I’m sure will find out.

12. Would this happen if he sat with Kaepernick?? I’m pretty sure he was standing when this happened. If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything. Good luck and see you in 2017!

13. Don’t be afraid to trade for Ryan Tannehill. He’s really, uh, special. We’ll miss him tons, I swear.

Dolphins Fan

14. killitandeatit says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:29 PM

————————-

No one “gets” ponder…always inconclusive. However, if it’s Christian Ponder – no need “to” ponder

15. holmatic says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:30 PM
    ————————————–
    Asa Vikings fan, I don’t think your comment is intended as trolling. I think it is a perfectly legitimate question. Guys said the turf was slippery, and San Diego lost a RB on a freak accident Sunday. There could be something to it, especially since they didn’t practice yesterday.

16. realfootballfan says:

Agree it could be worse if there were more damage or nerve damage; however, this is far from the best case scenario. Losing your starting QB 12 days before the season starts is not ideal. At least if it had happened in OTAs or training camp, the Vikings could have brought in a QB and had a chance to teach him the offense and had him gel a little with receivers. Now, they must roll with Hill and Heinicke and maybe a third option who can learn the system in the next 2 or 3 months.

17. duece5 wrote: “Totally classless……remember pack fans what they say about KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

That karma isn’t real, and you you don’t know when to stop using too much punctuation?

18. Pack fan here. Tough pill to swallow for my fellow NFCNorth brethren. These non-contact injuries are a mystery. It was mentioned earlier that this was the same basic injury that Jordy Nelson suffered. It may seem like semantics to some, but Jordy walked to the locker room after his tear…..Teddy B., was no where near able to do the same today. Glad to hear no nerve or vessel damage. Something tells me, Zimmer will have his team ready to play regardless. I’m not ready to sell the Vikings short…..I’m old enough to remember a young Jason Garrett embarrassing the Packers on a Thanksgiving Day game in Dallas in the 90’s. Get well Bridgewater.

19. I feel bad for Bridgewater.
    Viking trolls who loved to spend time laughing about how “little Erin” and other Packer players who went down with injuries were “soft” or “made of glass” – I don’t feel bad for them at all.

20. God bless you Teddy. Get well soon. Looking forward to your return.

OK Shaun, next man up. Do it for Teddy and the team.

Go Vikes.

21. Every team, player, and fan deals with injures. Its part of the game. Move on, not as if the Vikings were going to win anything this year anyhow.

22. duece5 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:33 PM

Totally classless……remember pack fans what they say about KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ________________

Every real Packer fan feels for the Teddy – especially after last year with Jordy. Unfortunately, Packer fans have their trolls, like you are with the Vikings. Give it a rest one time, we feel bad for Teddy, no young player should have to go through that.

23. duece5 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:33 PM

Totally classless……remember pack fans what they say about KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ________________

24. I don’t think it’s going to happen, but would be funny to see Favre come out of retirement. They can’t delay his HOF induction anymore since it already happened.

Seriously though, Shaun Hill is not a bad QB. He’s a good game manager, something Bridgewater was last season, so I don’t think there’s going to be much dropoff.

As someone else mentioned, if they’re going to make a trade, it should be for Mike Glennon. He still has a lot of potential, but stuck behind Jameis Winston. But I don’t think it’s going to happen though because I’m sure the Bucs are happy having a young cheap reliable backup QB.

25. Mental damage could be worse than the physical. Apparently all he did was drop back to pass and planted his foot. Crazy freak injury.

26. sewalters79 says:

Poor guy but that $100k the Browns spent may have been worth it now…

Yes, that $100k was totally worth it to draft an alcoholic and/or a drug addict who is no longer in the league instead of a promising young QB that tore his ACL.

27. I’m thinking Fitzpatrick is regretting his decision to sign with the Jets. I would guess that right now he would have his choice between Dallas and Minnesota, and probably more consideration from Denver. We haven’t even reached week one yet, and 2 starting QB’s are down. I hear Jeff George is still looking…

28. As a longtime packer fan, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I really feel for the Vikings fans and players. We’ve been fortunate to have the gun slinger and Aaron at the helm, which has led to success. It seems Teddy could be that for the Vikings and they were dealt a significant blow for this season. They’ll still be a force but I think Teddy will be a difference maker when he recovers. He seems to have the support of the players and the community and because of that I’m happy for the team…there are good days ahead for the Vikings.

29. Tough injury to a tough kid. Hopefully he comes back strong next year, and I’m sure he will. He probably couldn’t have a better coach in Mike Zimmer to have his back through all this.

That being said…..SKOL? Right, Vikings fans? Am I using that correctly? So quick to talk smack about any other team on here. Gonna be a pretty defensive season for them both on and off the field. But they’re defending NFC North champs and they basically beat Seattle in the playoffs, so they got that going for them.

30. How in the hell does someone injure their own knee by dropping back to throw a pass, in practice? Weak knees?

31. I read all the comments and the Packer fans have been wishing Teddy the best. Not the same sentiments are expressed for the Viking fan base but for the most part, they were merciless heaping scorn on Jordy last year so I can hardly feel any sympathy for them now. Play on.

32. Terrible but good news at the same time. Get well soon TB. Vikes have a nice team in place and need to make a move to get a back-up plan going now just don’t get desperate and overpay for someone just to try and fill that hole. Be smart yoy have a good D and still have AP.

Wishes for a shocker of a seaso
    Go Vikes

Bronco Nation

33. How does that happen? The human body is sometimes the toughest thing around, and sometimes as fragile as an eggshell.

34. Felt this when Flacco went down last year. It’s a hollow feeling for everyone, knowing the goals for the season are crushed. But the Vikes will have some good wins to keep it interesting because they have a good team. Bridgewater will be back for camp next year.

35. Packer fan here. I was looking forward to seeing Teddy play this season. It was looking like he was going to be pretty good this year. Hopefully the Injury doesn’t stunt his development and he can be effective coming back next season.

36. Good news on a day where it seemed all hope was lost. Football aside, let us remember this kid in prayers.

Strong storms moved through Minneapolis last night dumping a lot of rain in a short period of time. I believe the practice field had patches of saturated soil that gave. Moving forward all fields (practice alike) should be thoroughly accessed prior to any football activity to ensure players’ safety.

Speedy recovery Teddy. We all love you!

37. The Queens are a better team without Bustwater! You people talk like he is a star. Well he wasn’t and is not one of the top 28 QB’s in the league!

38. I think it would be nice if all the Viking fans that come to the game Thursday wore a #5 Jersey if they have one.

39. This is terrible news, I despise the Vikings (as any true Packer fan should), but you never want an injury like that to hit the competition. Bridgewater is fun to watch and I hope he makes a full recovery.

40. Nfl should eliminate practice, pre-season games, regular season games, playoffs and the Super Bowl.
    That way no one gets hurt.
    Good Luck Teddy. Shows you can get hurt anytime, anywhere.
    Hoe this shuts up the new generation.

41. I’m a long time Raiders fan and I just want to say Get Well Soon Teddy! This is a tough break for you, the team and your fan base but hang in there folks as better times are just around the corner. Even if that means next year.

42. You guys can have garappalo we don’t need him….nfl you have a 4 week head start….and go! Not sympathetic towards anyone losing their starting quarterback, karma is a bitch for the rest of you.

43. Men, this may be our darkest hour. Our GOAT Super Hero has fallen and is unlikely to rise again this season or maybe forever. Remember the 4 humiliating Super Bowl Losses? This is worse. remember when Gary Anderson gagged in 99? Wide left? God, that one hurt. And how bout last year? What the heck was that?? Poor Walsh never had a chance.

But men, with each devastating setback we have always been able to come back and defecate ourselves on even a grander scale and so it shall be. With Hill at the helm, greater disasters await us. We must stand together, shoulder to shoulder, pull for our division brethern, and drink hard (very hard) for we are the lost souls of the Purple Boat and so it goes……………

44. tjacks7 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:56 PM
    __________

RG3, Vince Young, and Sanchez were also young promsing QBs at one point. It’s nice to look to the future and I can understand that the Vikings have been doing that alot rebuilding since going all in with Brett Favre, but at some point things need to start clicking.

The silver lining is that Theodore was a game manager, and its quite possible that the gap between “Overthe” Hill and Teddy isn’t all that big.

45. Bills fan here wishing Teddy a full recovery! Such a promising talent. I hope he’s able to 100% recover.
    I tore my ACL, MCL and Meniscus. So I know what a tough injury that is.

Man I feel for all you Viking fans. I’ll now be rooting for you guys this season. Just think though, worst case scenario you suck and draft a top end talent. Not the end of the world… I’m hoping that the Vikings are able to surprise some people this season though.

46. My heart goes out to Teddy Bridgewater and Vikings fans. Teddy seems like an extremely nice and likable guy and you hate to see things like this happen to those types of people, especially when he was so close to breaking through this season …

47. A lot of people were sleeping on the purple anyways. Said teddy wasn’t that good, and figured GB would be better this year. But, it won’t take much for hill to match teddys 14 td’s from last year. We run the ball and play real good defense. That’s Zim’s formula for winning. I had high hopes that teddy was going to grow from last year. I was feeling closer to 25-30 td’s this year. But, can’t do anything but hope for the best for teddy now. I wouldn’t run out and mortgage the future for some cast off from another team. I’d run with hill, and work on stave! Hill won’t be around much longer, and we are going to need to groom a Backup or future. Stave has some positives. And all he needs to do is not have turnovers, and move the chains…..

48. PAYTON MANNING comes out retirement and brings the vikings a SB ring and him the title of back to back SB wins with 2 different teams

they could and should do that it would be historical

shawn hill cant go 16+ games and stave isnt good enough.. sandcheese isnt a option “i hope” and idc kaeprnick would be ok maybe great

i hope the best for teddy and he is in my prayers “i never talked trash about romo nor any injurys”

49. Not a Viking fan but good luck this year Minnesota. I hope Bridgewater heals up and you surprise the league with some success with your replacement QB. Time to evolve NFL. Bigger faster and sgronge means more injuries, not less. Find a new way to evaluate your rosters and cut the preseaso down to 2 games max.

50. I am just wondering how or why people are giving thumbs down to people wishing TB well and for a full recovery. Really?

Bucs nation wishes him good health and a full recovery.

Also, wouldn’t mind seeing you guys pick up Glennon. He deserves the shot and has been a model citizen here. Of course, if that happens Winston fingers crossed that Winston stays healthy.

51. Well the Browns paid $100,000 and were told Teddy should be their pick, we all know how that worked out.

Sad day in Viking country, love how Zimmer handled it and you can tell how much he cares about Teddy as a person. I think the main reason I am taking it so hard is this was going to be his year to make that leap and have Norv open up the offense down the field. Now it’s Shaun Hill time.

52. That sucks for the Vikings. Always hated preseason too long and too many terrible injuries happen during it. They should really cut preseason to about two games.

53. I wish Teddy Bridgewater , the Vikings,and their fans all the best. I remember how I felt as a fan when Brady tore his ACL. When the shock wears off you just have to go with the “next man up” mentality.

54. Sad as a fan but full of hope for this young man. It’s not right but life often isn’t. If this is a character test he’ll ace it. Come back bigger and stronger Teddy.

Peterson could play a huge factor here, and I expect he will. Who better for TB to rehab with then the best football player in the NFL? Advantage Teddy.

Hill will play. AP will carry them. People say Minnesota can’t do that again but they will. I see McGown helping but he doesn’t know the offense.

Gah. Play defense and give it to #28.

55. Best wishes to this bright, talented athlete! Many prayers have been said for you since this afternoon!

56. Good luck in your recovery Teddy. You are a talent I enjoy watching and fingers crossed here we will see you in 2017 fully healed

57. philcodean says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:45 PM

______________________________________

Sorry but no, while Nelson completely tore his ACL he didn’t dislocate his knee, if he had he wouldn’t have been able to hobble off the field, his leg physically would not have been able to hold him upright. While they are not saying much about it, based on what little we know “other structural damage” probably means that Bridgewater’s other knee ligaments (PCL, MCL and LCL) were most likely injured as well as likely meniscus tearing from the bending that would have ensued.

A few people have compared this to the gruesome knee injury Marcus Lattimore suffered against Tennessee that ultimately ended his career. Bridgewater has luckily avoided nerve damage, unlike Lattimore, but this is going to be a very big hurdle for him to overcome. Still, Eric Sugarman has a long list of success stories with knee and leg injuries (EJ Henderson, Cedric Griffin, AP and Rhett Ellison) but there are always guys like Greg Childs (who tore both his patellar tendons in a pre-season scrimmage) and Lattimore who aren’t able to come back.

58. Most likely the damage was done on Sunday to either weaken the ligament or slight tear then additional stress on it today caused a complete ACL tear.

59. That’s a tough injury to come back from, Marcus Lattimore is the most recent one I remember, but also Robert Edwards after his rookie year at the pro bowl. Hopefully Bridgewater has a stronger recovery then those guys. I was excited to see what the Vikes would do this year, this just stinks for all NFL fans.

60. Haven’t stopped crying all day. I guess it’s just karma kicking us Viking fans in the arse for all the times we made fun of Jordy last season!

61. Remember when all you Vike fans said it was Aaron’s bad pass that caused Jordy to tear his ACL? That was super classy. I don’t know a single Packers fan that ripped on Teddy. I’ve seen them rip Spielman for putting you in this position with Hill as backup, but that’s totally deserved.

Hope Teddy recovers fully!

62. maiphatdong says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:43 PM
    …and thats why you don’t draft till the the end of preseason

———————————–

Who drafts Bridgewater as their QB? I wouldn’t even want him on my fantasy bench.

63. Wow! Bad timing for the Vikes. First their promising #3 QB goes down with an off field injury, then they lose Teddy to a non contact freak injury. Oh, and they open a new stadium in less than 3 weeks to play their biggest rivals. Ouch. I watched their games this preseason. Hill does NOT look like a QB who belongs in this league anymore. His throws have not looked crisp and none had any zip. That game Teddy didn’t play, Hill’s throws mostly looked floated and often behind the receivers. They honestly probably need 2 QBs. I’d send the Chiefs a 3 and/or 4 for Foles. And I’d do it tomorrow. Then grab Mettenberger or next young promising QB available in FA at least until their 3 comes back.

That said… Get better fast Teddy. You are a class act and definitely have your game going in the right direction. You’ll be back better, stronger, and with more desire than ever. God bless.

64. Lesson learned – stop hanging around with Sam Bradford, when you do, stuff like this happens.

JK.

Best wishes and a healthy recovery to a very promising young QB.

#EaglesFan

65. Best wishes Teddy, I think he will recover well. The Vikes still have one heck of a defense and oh yea a certain RB who can still move the ball. You can also count on the generosity of the Lions for a win or two.

66. Thank goodness everybody is sending him best wishes in the comments section here. I’m sure he’s furiously refreshing his browser on this thread to see them all.

67. This is a complete gut punch. I won’t say the season is toast, but the bread is in the toaster oven. With stellar defense, and a good running game, we can still do something. (What can I say, I’m an eternal optimist).

Other options will not, and should not, include Favre and Manning. They are done. Retired. Out of the game. Any conjecture otherwise is purely that, conjecture. We all should just leave that alone.

Kaepernick is NOT an answer either. Not a good player anymore, and costs way too much money for a one year stop gap. Not too mention, they have a player who has played with him before, so they have a good idea of what he can/can not do.

Tha doesn’t leave much. A whole bunch of has been’s and never was. Hoyer, Weeden, McCown, Glennon, Mettenberger, and dare I say it…..Ponder.

68. That really sucks for Bridgewater.

The Vikings however were last in passing attempts and 2nd worst with 2928 passing yards.

Let’s not act like Bridgewater was carrying this team. Much like the 2015 Broncos they were relying on their running game and defense to carry them and that isn’t going to change with or without Bridgewater.

69. Get well soon TB! To you sour Vikes fans:

Is it really all that unreasonable to think that Hill can throw for 3200 yards, 14TDs and 9 INTs? Don’t throw in the towel as all you need is a decent game manager with Peterson and that defense. In fact, I think an injury to Peterson would hurt the Vikes more than TB.

Here’s to a speed recovery, Go Pack Go!

70. Glad to see many fans wishing Teddy well, as I do too. As a Pats fan I remember some classless Dolphins, Jets, and Bills fans during that first game of 2008 who were cheering when they heard Tom Brady had gone down with a torn ACL.

71. One of these headlines will happen:

Kaep Attack!

Vikings ready to raid for booty, sign Johnny Football

Michael Vick gets another chance!

Mark Sanchez???

Matt Hasselbeck gets yet another opportunity

John Kitna reluctantly dragged out of the classroom, wonders if he’ll EVER get tenure at this rate

Nick Foles wants to prove it wasn’t all a dream in 2014

Brett Favre found mowing lawn, declines to re-enter league, but throws the ball 70 yards for Lolz

Jeff Garcia, ready to get out of arena league play and re-energize the Vikings

Vinny Testavarde still knows the fundamentals as a pocket passer

72. duece5 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 8:33 PM

Totally classless……remember pack fans what they say about KARMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ///////////////////////////////////////////

Guess you forgot about the Vike fans that were yucking it up when Jordy Nelson went down last preseason. For sure Karma is a bitch.

73. Why is Teddys injury considered one that will surely take the Vikings out of playoff contention by nearly everyone? the Vikings were not a pass first team,in fact they led the league in least passes thrown per game last season with Teddy and almost made the SB.as long as they have AP and a great defense they will be just fine.for proof look at when Aaron Rodgers went down for all those games with a broken collar bone and they are certainly a pass first team they still made it to the playoffs thanks to Lacy and the running game and a defense that wasnt as good as this years Vikings defense. no teams on the schedule will take the Vikings for granted.

74. Looks like some people are confusing a dislocated knee and a dislocated knee cap (patella). A dislocated knee is a whole ‘nother level. Good luck to Teddy on the recovery, this will be a tough one to overcome mentally.

75. I remember Viqueen fans calling the Packers SOFT because of injuries
    Does this mean TB is soft ?
    Or
    Are only Packer players SOFT when hurt ?

76. As a mom of 3 boys, 2 of whom had torn ACLs playing basketball, it puzzles me how these non-contact injuries occur so often. They are so tough to overcome.

77. People only read what they want to read and the comprehension is severely lacking. The vast vast vast vast majority of the posts are expressing sympathy for Teddy and the Vikes. There are maybe a handful of negative posts, counted on one hand.

Get over yourselves with the whining about “all those trolls”. Here’s to a speedy recovery for Bridgewater.

78. I think 95% of the comment on Teddy are on point here from Viking and Packer fans alike.

To compare it to Rodgers injury, however, is inaccurate. Rodgers got hurt when he held onto the ball forever (as is his wont) and got sacked and driven to the turf in Week 10 (not preseason practice).

Teddy got hurt Vinny Testeverde ’99 style and Dan Marino ’93 style (non-contact). It just happened.

Lots of decisions for Vikes in 2017. In 2016, goal is playoffs only.

79. I don’t see this as a reason to count the Vikings out. They throw the ball less than anybody. Their team will play hard for Zimmer and rally around whoever the qb is. They’ll be a tough out, and with the Lions and Bears a question mark, they could be in the thick of the division.

80. Teddy Bridgewater as a patriots fan i wanna wish you lots of luck and good health to you and hope you will be able to overcome this terrible injury and that you may come back stronger and better than ever keep your head up young fella

81. Right now there are two comments – one says “Good news that it is not career ending.” and “Get well soon, Teddy” – that each currently have 26 thumbs downs…. What is wrong with you people?!?! I understand rivalries and what not but to thumbs down well wishes and thankfulness for a non-career ender is over the top. Trolling is stupid but it is normally harmless and can even be comedic. I get that as much as the next guy but this is not that. Seriously, get away from football and get your heads checked if you take it that far.

I really thought Bridgewater was going to show the nay-sayers that he has what it takes to lead… its a darn shame but the season will go on and I am not about to hang my head in surrender mode. If they get someone who can come in and take care of the football, they can still contend. All is not lost.

82. Viking fans asking us for sympathy now. Which is interesting, since they were laughing about Rodgers and Nelson injuries.