Vikings stop practice after Bridgewater goes down, clutches at left knee

Getty Images

The Vikings called off practice Tuesday when quarterback Teddy Bridgewater suffered what those on hand called a non-contact injury.

About 25 minutes into practice, Bridgewater went down and trainers rushed to talk with him. Bridgewater was reportedly grabbing at his left knee.

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press tweeted that some players threw their helmets down and cursed, and that some knelt in prayer around Bridgewater. Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press called it “a bad scene.”

PFT will provide further updates as they become available.

174 responses to “Vikings stop practice after Bridgewater goes down, clutches at left knee

1. I would never want to see a player injured but the guy averaged fewer than 1TD per game last season. How much are the Vikings really losing if he is injured?

Maybe the Vikings will make a play for Kaep.

2. Man I feel terrible for him and Viking organization, the NFL so much better to watch when the best players are out on the field.

Sad when guys go down in practice and pre-season.

3. Unreal.

I hope Teddy is ok. Great kid and was showing lots of promise this preseason.

Of course this WOULD HAPPEN to a Vikings fan.

4. Sorry to hear it, but if that happens in a game do they just take their ball and go home? Why stop practice? You’re sending a message to the team that one player is the difference. The Rams didn’t do this when Green went down, They just plugged in the backup.

5. That does really suck (I dont root for any NFC team). The vikings have a chance to make the playoffs with their defense and run game.

6. As a Packer fan, I don’t wish any injury on any player or team, even if it’s the rival Vikings.
    I hope it’s not to serious.

My fellow Packer fans, don’t be negative.
    I’d rather play the Vikings at full strength than not.

7. I’m sure nobody appreciates it considering my username but this really sucks. As a Cowboys fan I have always loved Mike Zimmer and enjoyed watching the Vikings defense last season. Hopefully it’s nothing serious, Bridgewater seems like he’s got a great head on his shoulders

8. Well, there goes the season. First time as a Vikings fan that there’s been a heart-breaking collapse before the post-season. Crap.

9. Ya know when Romo went down, I read some really horrible comments on here, hope Teddy was not your QB, cause Karma is a bitc/

10. Well that sucks! I was really hoping to crush the Vikes twice this year at full strength. It wasn’t fun watching the Packers w/out Rodgers after the shoulder injury.

Tough break Vike fans but at least a Badger if your back up:)

PLEASE GOD GIVE ME A FAVRE COMEBACK!!! Rachel Nichols better be at the end of that Hattiesburg driveway in no less than 5 hours.

11. I guess Depth Charts don’t mean anything to most teams these days. The types of injuries seem to derail most team’s season before it even begins.

12. grogansheroes says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:14 PM
    _________________________________________
    Maybe they have a great team culture and people were genuinely upset?

I know this is a mans game, but this is a young team outside of AP, and people do care.

13. Man that sucks…
    Hopefully nothing too serious.

I dislike the vikings and their fans, but No team should have their Superbowl aspirations dashed before the season even begins… This sucks, hard.

This really sucks, it’s not often you have a Superbowl caliber team – ready to rock.

14. That really sucks. The reactions and the cancelled practice kind of tell you what you don’t want to hear. If confirmed, it’s a tough break for this team.

15. Horrible. Everything I heard about him this off season was pretty good. Don’t like to see any player from any team injured. Their coach has been around a long time and he knows injuries. For him to stop practice. Wow feel bad also for the other players on the team. Best of luck to the young man

16. we will rally around Shaun Hill and play really good football…

but in the mean time, I’d start looking at the kids stocking the shelves at the local Hy-Vee

17. Damn, I had them down as a serious contender for the SB this year too. Teddy seemed to have taken a good step forward. They just need a qb who won’t turn it over much and they’ll likely still be a playoff team, but if it’s the ACL then maybe next year, teddy can focus on building more arm strength while he rehabs.

18. fyi everyone, Winter Park is minutes from me.
    He was taken off the field via ambulance. It’s not looking good for TB. Sounding like a season ender.

19. Cancelled practice? What’s the use of a depth chart anyway.

*********************************************************

Season over 8 days before it starts……unless they trade for Geno…..

20. I hope it’s not as serious as some are speculating. Everybody, just wait for the MRI results. The vast majority of Packer fans want to play your best team this year, since we’re both so close in overall talent now.

21. Shaun Hill is a veteran that can step in and play. At least he has in the past. However, he’s 36.

22. If I was a Vikings fan and this happened to Rodgers I’d call him weak, light, fragile, a wuss, or any number of things to boost my online ego.

But since I’m not, man I was looking forward to a good Vikings v Packers rivalry this year since the Lions and Bears are gonna be average at best. Hopefully it’s not that bad and he’s at least able to play somewhat well next season.

23. TB12RALLYCRY says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:13 PM

sorry to hear it but you get no sympathy from me..Brady went down against KC in 2008 and people cheered , clapped and laughed……..

————————

Some people did cheer when Brady went down, and some people were cool about it as well. Just like some people are cheering with Bridgewater going down and some people are cool about it.

Your using some other people’s bad behavior to justify your own bad behavior. At least own it if you’re gonna hate.

24. Hate to see anyone get injured, and I hope he gets better. The bright side of this is that maybe we can stop seeing Vikings fans go nuts about Teddy Bridgewater for a few weeks, as if he’s anything more than an average QB.

25. diveleft says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:12 PM
    Dammit, season over before it begins.

———-
    I was at the game that Mo Lewis almost killed Bledsoe and I said to my bro “there goes our season”

I couldn’t have been more wrong. Tough break for sure but you guys have a solid team and a good HC…I think you’ll be just fine.

26. well, the Vikings are now either going to need to bring some one in or pay for rolling with Shawn Hill who is just awful. Lets see if could get a foles, Kapernick for a draft pick, not likely id guess.

27. That’s too bad. Our fan bases may have an unhealthy back-and-forth relationship that often deteriorates into juvenile comments and insults, but I’m sure no Packer fan wants to see this. Hope he’s OK. If it’s as bad as it sounds, hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

28. Whenever things start looking good, we know as Vikings fans that the worst is around the corner. I was just talking to someone about this today… Man this sucks.

29. As if Green Bay didn’t have a cakewalk already. They are this year’s Carolina. Practically won’t play any quality opponents until the playoffs.

30. Good call above on Mettenberger – I think that might be the first call I make, since Kaep is a bit of a head case and Sanchez stinks… I might also consider giving the Chiefs a 7th rounder for Aaron Murray…

31. That really sucks for Vikings and Bridgewater. Prayers out to him.

Sadly, Tavaris Jackson may be the best QB on the open market. Can you see him coming back to Minny?!?!?!

32. Sounds like a “Jordy Nelson” type injury… Certainly not a viking fan but hate to see things like this happen…

33. C’mon now, didn’t Harbaugh just say we could avoid these injuries by not having preseason games. Hey John, players get injured in practice too, didn’t you just get back Perriman who was injured twice in practice and has yet to set on the field for a real game after two years. Eliminating preseason games will have about as much effect on injuries as tying a yellow ribbon on a tree. It is just non-nonsensical.

34. I’m beginning to think my vikes really are cursed. At least we will know if the Vikes are in the playoffs that we probably have the best coach and defense in the league because anything short of that is going to make this a very long, depressing season.

35. That sucks, bugs me badly every time a player goes down before the season even starts. Its that time of year. Bring on week one!

36. Ugh…My sympathies to Teddy, the Vikings and all of their fans. This stinks…for Teddy, for the team, for their fans…what a bummer. Boo injuries!

37. my condolences, Vikings fans. get well, Teddy. as a Packer fan… i only wanted him to fail as a Viking qb. not to get injured. :/ he’ll be back.

38. Unreal, usually we get to the playoffs before our hearts are ripped out. Cant play a full season with Hill, they will have to make a trade.

39. Can you imagine if it happened during a preseason game?

What else can you do? Football is a cruel mistress.

40. Aww man, injuries suck anytime but you really hate the hear about them in the pre-season. Hope he is OK – just brutal.

41. We are cursed. I don’t even know what to do.

Getting that jersey out of Canton might be a start.

42. Happy to see most fans of some of the Vikings’ rivals take the high road on this one.

Hope the best for Teddy.

Anyway the excitement in MN can now focus to see if the Twins can complete their trek to 100 losses.

43. Truth is Favre could step in and play this weekend and do twice what Hill could accomplish. I’m thinking they go with the rookie Stave, at least he can throw further than 30 yards.

This IS the worst thing that could have happened to this team this year. Even if AP went down we have capable backups to step in, but our QB situation is dismal. Guess my Vikings vs. Packer opening night tickets just lost half their value. Its not even Monday, this sucks!

44. Seriously – if he’s just a game manager QB, and the Vikings are sooooooo good like everyone (Vikings fans) says, then this can’t be that big of a loss, thinking in terms of football.

45. Joel Stave is a winner and has great size and athleticism. I watched him for four years. Unfortunately, and maybe it can be corrected, but he has Favre-like tendencies for ill-timed turnovers. I think he just made the roster.

46. nomar8477 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:39 PM
    Gooddell: “Teddy got hurt? That’s it..suspend Brady 4 more games”
    ______________
    Can you Patsies* girls just stop it already?
    Every article doesn’t need to be turned in to a cheat fest.

47. I’m not sure what I think of the canceled practice. This stuff happens in games – the games you are practicing to prepare for. Assure everyone Teddy’s getting well taken care of and put the backup in. See who can focus under adversity.

48. The juke move he put on Chargers safety Phillips on Sunday must have caused some damage. Another reason why QBs should not try to look like RBs.

49. As a Cowboys fan, I feel for y’all
    But then I remember reading all those negative comments about Romo.
    As it stands we go in to the season with a promising rookie, in the Vikings case if teddy is going to be out a while, shaun hill becomes yalls savior

50. Taylor Heineke would be kicking himself right now if he hadn’t severed his tendon on a broken window.

Shawn Hill is a decent back-up, but this changes the landscape of the whole season. I bet we’ll see a trade, just please not Butt-fumble, Colin X, or Ge-nopay!!!

51. evilhoodyshoody says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:31 PM
    diveleft says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:12 PM
    Dammit, season over before it begins.

———-

My thoughts exactly. But I did warm up to TB12 in about 8 plays that day. It’s horrible to say but Mo Lewis is responsible for the birth of a dynasty, the best team in the last 20 years, no contest.

Now, he asks expecting an onslaught of hater replies, where is that guy who said excuses are for losers?

Bring it 🙂

52. purplepackerhater says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:37 PM

///////

Cut your team and yourself some slack. You’re asking Hill to replace 14 TD tosses. If anyone could lose a QB with less impact it’s the Vikes. Sorry, but true.

53. That’s a bummer, but Zim is a really good coach and this team is strong enough to rally around whomever is under center. The North won’t be the same without him though. Go Pack Go.

54. As a Packer fan, and as much as I dislike the Vikings (in a competitive sense), I truly do feel bad for what happened here. I don’t like seeing any star player go down. Praying things go well for him!

55. I feel terrible for the Vikes and their fans and by no means as I’m trying to be disrespectful but replacing a QB who threw 14 tds last season is not impossible. The Vikes defense is one of the tops in the league and they have the ability to keep opposing offensive scoring to a minimum. All they need is to pick up a game manager who can keep mistakes down and they can still potentially do some damage in the NFC. Denver used the same blueprint last year and it worked out pretty good for them.

56. And in related news, nobody’s fantasy teams were affected in any way by this shocking turn of events.

Sorry to see the kid go down, wanted the Queens at full strength.

Godspeed in your recovery Teddy.

57. Good luck to TB from Packer fans. We don’t want to see injuries. Its hard enough to win even without injuries.

58. terrible news if true

It sucks to be a fan of an up and coming team like the vikes who could be really good this year and with one misstep and an injury your season just went completely down the drain

might as well tank and hope for a high draft pick in 2018

59. Teddy is by all accounts a good man & a young player that is growing. This sounds like something bad did in fact happen in practice.

We hope that’s not the case. Something we never want to see is a player getting hurt. Hope it’s not serious.

Look forward to our teams competing against each other this year. You deserve to be there to defend what you’ve earned so far.

Best wishes –

60. I hope the guys cussing and throwing their helmets were far enough away from the prayer circle not to drown out God’s voice saying “Sorry, you should have asked me yesterday when I wasn’t so busy with important stuff!”

61. If it’s serious, it’s not going to affect them that much. That team isn’t QB reliant and Hill is a pretty good back up. In fact, Shaun Hill may actually end up performing better than Teddy normally would have.

62. Hope he has a quick recovery. Don’t like the Vikes, but hate it when seasons are ruined by injury. Same kind of non contact injury to Jordy Nelson last preseason.

63. It’s weird to see civility in the comments here on this website. As a Seahawk fan, if Russell Wilson went down with an injury, it’s guaranteed that trolls would be bashing him and the Seahawks without mercy.

64. Hope it isn’t as bad as it sounds. But unless it was just first-team offense or something I can’t figure out why practice would get called off. I can’t remember hearing before of a practice totally halted due to a single player being injured.

65. Would it be too much to ask commenters to read their comment over before hitting “Submit”?

66. Funny that the Vikings’ fans would call Jordy Nelson soft because of a non-contact football injury. They even called Rodgers soft, even though he recovered from his broken collarbone faster than Romo did or AP did in college.

Guys who get injured aren’t soft. Even in non-contact situations. Maybe Vikings’ fans will begin to recognize that.

67. Lions fan here: I really hate to see a young player like Bridgewater hurt. I hope he recovers fully.

68. sweetnlow44 says:
    Aug 30, 2016 5:23 PM

=================

That’s because Wilson has been the best QB in the history of the NFL through their first four seasons.

#HATE
    #FEAR

69. PAYTON MANNING comes out retirement and brings the vikings a SB ring and him the title of back to back SB wins with 2 different teams

they could and should do that it would be historical

shawn hill cant go 16+ games and stave isnt good enough.. sandcheese isnt a option “i hope” and idc kaeprnick would be ok maybe great

i hope the best for teddy and he is in my prayers “i never talked trash about romo nor any injurys”

70. Packer fan here,
    This is terrible news as we don’t want to see any star player hurt and have a season ended. We know what it’s like losing a vital piece and it showed last year.
    Hoping Teddy only has a sprain and back on the field within a few weeks. Terrible News !!

71. TB12RALLYCRY says:
    Aug 30, 2016 3:13 PM

90 367

—-

Leave it to a Patriots fan to see their own persecution in a random injury to a guy.

72. The Vikings have a great roster and only require a game manager at QB. Don’t be surprised if the Vikings rally around a replacement QB, and the sky is the limit. I hate to see Bridgewater go down, but I don’t think he’ll be difficult to replace. The timing isn’t exactly what you want, but don’t count the Vikings out. Remember when The Rams lost Trent Green right before the season started and they were forced to go with some guy named Kurt Warner? This Vikings roster is much stronger across the board than those Rams. Oh, and they won the super bowl.

73. Did today’s injury occur on the same field where Brandon Oliver tore his achilles last Sunday without being touched?

That field looked awfully slick during the Chargers @ Vikings game.

Isn’t that a brand new field?

74. I am a Packers fan — extremely unhappy to hear this news.

Wishing Teddy a fast recovery — hope the injury is not serious.

75. I understand the that it isn’t easy to see a friend and coworker get injured, but injuries are going to happen on game day and the team needs to keep its focus and finishing the game. This is the second time in a few weeks that Zim cut practice short, after an injury, now these players are missing valuable reps.

76. frank booth says:
    Aug 30, 2016 5:37 PM

^^^^^^^^^^

I also like how they have been calling Rodgers soft because he hasn’t been practicing as much this year. Yesterday is the reason why a lot of the Packer vets have been resting.

Hopefully Teddy has a quick recovery

77. “I understand the that it isn’t easy to see a friend and coworker get injured, but injuries are going to happen on game day and the team needs to keep its focus and finishing the game.”

===

This was an injury of the same scale or possibly even worse than the infamous Theismann/Taylor leg break back in the ’80s. Although a different type of injury, the visuals were of a similar impact if not worse (if you have ever seen a dislocated knee it is very ugly and disturbing). Zimmer did the right thing.