Fans buying Colin Kaepernick jerseys in big numbers

AP

Colin Kaepernick has faced plenty of criticism for his refusal to stand for the national anthem. But he’s also getting plenty of support.

In fact, Kaepernick jersey sales are skyrocketing since he took his stance. The NFL Shop best sellers list shows the Kaepernick white jersey as the No. 2 best seller and the Kaepernick red jersey as the No. 6 best seller. The only player in the NFL selling more jerseys than Kaepernick right now is Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott.

A month ago, before Kaepernick sat out the anthem, his jerseys were hardly selling at all. And that makes sense, as he was a backup quarterback coming off a terrible year whom the 49ers would have traded if they had been able to find any team willing to take his $11.9 million guaranteed salary.

But now that Kaepernick has spoken out against police brutality, a lot of people want to show their support. And putting Kaepernick’s name on your back is an easy way to do that.

UPDATE 7:37 a.m. ET: Shortly after we posted this item, Kaepernick’s jersey moved up to the No. 1 best seller spot.

131 responses to “Fans buying Colin Kaepernick jerseys in big numbers

1. The ex-wife of Mohammad Ali has sensationally called on San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick to ‘get off his high horse’ and apologize for refusing to stand during the national anthem. Khalilah Camacho Ali, who was married to the late boxing legend and civil rights icon from 1967 to 1977, said she would love to speak to Kaepernick to help him protest in ‘a better way’. ‘What he’s doing right now is not heroic,’ she said. ‘If he is willing to get off his high horse and humble himself, we could do a lot of good together.’

Y’all are pushing this story 24/7 and its nothing more than a story about a spoiled brat with a ridiculous ‘Afro’ from the sixties basically holding-his-breath for attention.

2. This is not really a surprise. There are alot of angry people down on their luck that choose to blame the government for their problems rather than look within. I would for these people to spend even a week in a 3rd world country. I would be willing to bet their level of gratitude and respect may increase. If not, they are welcome to stay there. Maybe they will find happiness there.

3. You won’t catch me running out and buying a Kaepernick jersey. However, I will defend to the death his right as an American to refuse to stand during the national anthem.

4. Of course. That was the idea from the start. He knows he’s not long for the 49ers, this is the same thing Kluwe did before he got cut. Make some noise, sell some jerseys, then when you get cut it fits in with the victim complex you present to the world. Other people with low motivation and large victim complexes buy your jersey, and you profit.

5. Total publicity stunt to get attention by a player that is no longer relevant. There is no “I” in team. This protest should have been done on his own personal time or have a agreement with your team that you all do something together.

6. Good news for jaworski and the Niner fans that are kaperchoke apologists that keep thinking he’s gonna light the league up. You’ll be able to find a surplus of cheap kaperchoke jerseys on eBay in about 6 months when people realize while his message was noble, he’s not a good QB and besides his valid message he’s an unlike able guy. Also, when does Baalke get fired? Aldon smith, Ray McDonald, Bruce Miller….. As a hawks fan I’ve swayed from wanting Baalke to be with the Niners forever because he’s made them awful to wanting him gone because he’s an embarrassment to the NFL. These issues are serious enough for me almost to not say “everyone has it better” because it’s so true.

7. How about you donate 1 million dollars to a local charity for African American development or how about creating a scholarship fund to support African Americans college tuition.
    I’m creating a pair of pink socks with the 49ers logo on it and all the proceeds will go to a worthy cause.

8. iceracer2015 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:46 AM

——————————————————————–

1. NO ONE is questioning his right to refuse to stand,
    2. People disagree with a $12 Million per year athlete who gives NOTHING to the community claiming oppression

3. Why would you defend HIS right to anything to death? Do you think he would do the same for you?

4. He has the right. No one argues his right. People argue his motive and his actions.

5. Let’s see him do something meanngful rather then simply kneel for a song that honors a country that gives him the ability to make $12 million for playing a sport.

9. I have no issue with his stance against police brutality, but he is only doing this because he became irrelevant on and off the field. He was also about to lose his starting job. I never heard him talking about any issues before.

10. Unless it’s a national event or national final (such as the Super Bowl is on both counts) or on a national day (such as Thanksgiving, 9/11 etc), I don’t understand why the national anthem is played anyway. Nor should people be forced to stand or sing in a free country – but I also think that protesters should not do anything further than that during the couple of minutes whilst others are choosing to observe the anthem – so that observers’ freedoms aren’t impinged either.

And btw, the NFL is in breach of the Flag Code by aggrandizing their helmets with national flag decals. A small lapel pin or patch over the left breast is deemed respectful. But in sports that normally means a breast badge for the national team and not a helmet decoration for every local team.

11. iceracer2015 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:46 AM

Best post ever. We need to stop idolizing symbols and start idolizing the Constitution. I don’t even like Kap. At all. But I respect his rights.

12. Many purchased his jersey as a collectors item. Others purchased it because they agree with Kaep. This is not surprising because a very large segment of our population are ungrateful, resentful, and hate filled just like Kaep.

13. Nice to see that “oppression” support involves forking over $99 for an officially licensed jersey. Kap gets richer and the truly oppressed stay the same. A perfect reflection of the past 8 years.

14. iceracer2015 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:46 AM

– – – –

Stay on topic.

In all the hoopla surrounding Kaepernick, I haven’t seen or heard one person say he doesn’t have the “right” to do what he did.

The only real question is whether you support what he said or not

15. iceracer2015 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:46 AM
    ========================================
    His rights are private rights and do not extend to the workplace. Of course, the NFL isn’t going to suspend him for this, but could. In any case, this isn’t going to end well for him or the 49ers. If there’s one thing that kills NFL teams, it’s distractions. Backup quarterbacks should not be seen or heard from.

16. Sure, you have the right to sit for the anthem. But you shouldn’t, and I think that is what is being list here.

I’m not down with it being chic all of a sudden to not stand for the anthem and I want no part of it. I’ll be a home mowing my lawn.

If you don’t like whats happening in this county nowadays, I suggest you stay home and mow your lawn too.

17. Of course he has the right to not stand for the Anthem. The bigger story here is the continual erosion of respect and support for the country of America. Individual and corporations are both involved. We have lots of new citizens and non citizen residents who want to enjoy the freedoms of America with embracing American values. They want to wave their own flag or protest our waving of our flag. Corporations send their manufacturing jobs to other countries to boost their profits and no longer care about American workers. If this continues, we will slowly dissolve into chaos. Sorry to have to use this forum but politics is a staple of sports these days.

18. Mrcneff says……. Wanting Police reform is not the same as hatingPolice

………………………………………………………………..
    Wearing socks that portray the Police as pigs is Police reform???

19. No surprise, he’s the new hero of the anti-American marxist millennials. Most don’t even watch football. Thy find a new hero every few months.

It’s amusing that he complains of the USA being oppressive and yet he wears a shirt of a communist dictator in charge of a totalitarian state and citizens who risk their lives to flee to our country.

20. It’s not like they’re spending that much money on them. Clearance racks in the Bay Area have been packed full of Kaepernick jerseys now for awhile.

21. @conciselogic – “Great, cops will exactly who the anti-law enforcement jerks are.”

How does being opposed to police brutality make one “anti-law enforcement”? What does that phrase even mean?

Despite all this alleged training, most individuals are merely given a badge and a gun and told “here you go, you’re a sheriff’s deputy, whatever”. Most sheriffs are elected, many have zero law enforcement experience or expertise.

How about saying you support “fair, effective, and professional law enforcement “?

22. Standing for the flag shows Decorum, Courtesy, and good Manners…

Standing for the flag does not mean one supports Police Brutality…like Kap is insinuating!…

With these facts….one can deduce Kaepernick is very immature and certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed!…

23. On the other side of the oppressed black cop haters find their standing, by killing 5 Dallas police officers and others, in addition to there ‘own’ brotha’s and sista’s

help us obi wan Kap, we’re waiting for your move off your ass. You’re our only hope…

24. reddzen says:
    Sep 6, 2016 8:34 AM

iceracer2015 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:46 AM

Same here. I am a long time vet and I fully support his right to do this even if I don’t like it personally.

Now what I want to hear from Kaepernick is what next? What is your plan to lead in the discussion about this issue or what is your plan to help?

Oh and spending over a $100 on his jersey is just idiotic in my book.

25. This is all political. Kaepernick got paid well to do this… And Obama commenting on it from China tells me all I need to know….

Most NATIONAL NEWS is manufactured and or just fake!!!

26. Hopefully this all just brings awareness. I completely understand his cause as do many others. Even if you cannot relate. I think the most important part is you have to look outside of the sensationalism that you see on the news and realize that this stuff police brutality happens every week. There is legit oppression going on whether or not you fully understand the scope and brevity and most of it is not related to policing but financial and housing opportunities.

And far as the flag, goes with symbolism standing for the flag does show some decency but I think that is point of the protest and the people buying his jerseys feel this way too….

Not because they are “down on their luck and trying to blame the government”

27. abninf says:
    Sep 6, 2016 9:38 AM

George Soros probably bought a few thousand to hand out to his hired protesters.
    —————————–
    Amen…. Just another manufactured political stunt.. You can tell by how the liberal media uses kid gloves on Kaepernick…

28. metalman5150 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 9:42 AM
    Praying the Rams destroy the 9’ers this week
    —————————————————————-

Then Kap will be named the starter even sooner. Its inevitable. Gabbert is just holding the spot until Kap gets healthy. I wish I could bet money on this.

29. andydlev says:
    Sep 6, 2016 7:01 AM
    ————————————————————–
    ain’t no “we” either.

30. iceracer2015 says:
    Sep 6, 2016 6:46 AM

to the death? really? How about defending to the death police officers rights not to be subjected to summary judgement and execution by people outside of the law? How about defending to the death the rights of store owners not to have their livelihood erased by opportunistic slugs? Slugs whom evidently are supported by Colon? How about defending to the death the rights of children to be safe in their homes from these “social justice warriors”?

That’s what is worth defending to the death. But you weren’t trumpeting that while innocents were being robbed, brutalized and murdered by those sympathetic to the BLM “cause”.

31. bobleblah says:
    Sep 6, 2016 8:46 AM
    Up-vote if you support Kap

Down-vote if you just don’t get it
    —————————————-
    I am proud to say I don’t get it and I don’t support him.

32. f1restarter says:
    Sep 6, 2016 8:10 AM
    I’d wonder what the racial breakdown is of all the people who are buying his jersey nowadays.
    __________________________________

Good question. And I wonder what the racial breakdown is of all the people who disagree with his protest.

33. I’d be buying one as well, but for one thing–he simply refuses to see that police also brutalize white people!

Ok, I’ll “check my privilege” now!

34. By “big numbers” they mean “slightly over 100”, which is more Kaep jerseys in the past eight months.

35. A) let’s not pretend that there aren’t way too many police out their abusing their power and brutalizing people. It’s real, people. And it needs to stop.

B) He already committed to donate a million dollars to the cause. Stop calling on him to do it, and take a few minutes to learn the facts before spouting out,

36. Damn it! Kaepernick jerseys were on clearance too!… Who knew…His play certainly wasn’t going to elevate that value.

37. Y’all are talking all of this crap about Kap, won’t acknowledge the NFL’s Patriotism for Pay. Yeah we love the GAME, but you better start looking at the greedy ass owners who want to jump on their high horse now & bash Kap for so-called NON-PATRIOTISM! I love the game, but I’m no sheep…but apparently many of you are because they’re pulling the wool over your eyes as I type!!! And for you making this a race issue…YOU’RE what’s wrong with this country! Let the hate start in 3…2…1…GOOO!

38. Headline: “Customers buying Colin Kaepernick jerseys in big numbers”

There… fixed it. The people buying the jersey are not 49ers fans, or Kaep fans. They’re most likely people who heard about him on the news and want to show that they support civil rights and such.

39. I can’t believe people are buying into this. The initial backlash was because nobody likes colin kapernick. It had nothing to do with his message. He’s just a d bag and its fun to rip on him.

Then the media decided this was a good opportunity to make themselves look like compassiinate people and all the dummies followed suit.

40. djbooshmanzada says:
    Sep 6, 2016 12:02 PM

You’re a little behind schedule, the hate started the moment your fingers hit the keyboard. No need for the countdown.

But you can’t see that can you?

41. There is whole lot of Kaep jerseys being pooped on, defaced, and burned.

You only need to read the blogs on the tailgate party activities go on out there.

Betcha the sales wither away after the novelty of disrespecting his jersey dies down.

42. letsberealpeople says:
    Sep 6, 2016 11:37 AM

They do and always have, to people of all colors. Just convenient to leave that out I guess.

Just like people need to stop generalizing about what “old white guys” think or do.

You guys really need to look in the mirror once in a while.

43. djbooshmanzada says:
    Sep 6, 2016 12:37 PM
    jjackwagon says:
    Sep 6, 2016 12:24 PM
    When did the NFL shop start accepting EBT cards?

———————–

POINT PROVEN…THANKS BUDDY!
    ——————————————-
    The only point is Kaep knows about oppression like I know about the NFL. That is, he may have seen it on TV.

If he would like to see some REAL oppression, I can offer a few places for him to travel. Once he has done so, I might give some regard to his opinion about oppression.

44. “F-A-N” = fanaticism

another term for all sorts of insanity

insanity, idiocy, ignorance and incompetence are the very

DEADLY blasphemy of the female Holy (Whole, Absolute) Spirit (Mind) and O-N-L-Y transgression that kills

45. why is it that roughly 7% of the population (black men) commit over 50% of the murders in this country?

police officers killing unarmed civilians is a problem, however there aren’t enough statistics to say if this is a growing problem or as i suspect like everything else now a days, it just gets more attention because of the 24 hour news cycle and access to information is so much easier via the internet.

and tell me do people really want equality of opportunity? because it sounds like the BLM movement wants equality of outcomes with racist policy initiatives disproportionately slanted towards minorities

46. Proving once again, that America has one of the dumbest populations in the world.

It’s how you get somebody like Obama in office for anything but dog catcher.

47. George Soros is buying them. Period. This is another rigged situation where every last person I know hates this Colon Pimpleneck yet he is “popular” – and he is a horrible player to boot.

48. No laws have been broken and no one has been harmed during any of this. They are all entirely within their rights to do this if they wish. Let them do their thing and move on.

Many have fought and some have died to allow this freedom of expression so get over it.

This has nothing to do with disrespecting America and the flag but is about an anthem that if I’m not mistaken is not enshrined in the Constitution.

Just because you don’t approve of something doesn’t make it wrong.

49. Remember when the Raider jersey was the go to attire for gangs? Is this the replacement? It’s a fair question that Santa Clara has to ask itself.

50. My son is 28 years old and a lieutenant in the US Navy. He is also very white. He is also a fan of the Washington Redskins but he’s now also a fan of Kaepernick. Not that this matters but it’s at least as pertinent as the overwhelming majority of comments on this page.

51. George Soros is buying them. Period. This is another rigged situation where every last person I know hates this Colon Pimpleneck yet he is “popular” – and he is a horrible player to boot.
    __________________________________________

Which tells us that you either need to diversify the people you associate or that some people don’t want to share their true opinion with you for whatever reason.

52. Look – you guys have this all wrong…

It’s just really HARD for him to stand up after what Kam Chancellor did to him.

53. Kap haters are smoking mad and I think that’s a good thing.

I’ve never been a fan of his, but I respect him and his right to protest what he believes.

The idea that you have to be a cop hater to believe in freedom, justice, and the pursuit of happiness is a false idea being promoted by racists, bigots, killers and human rights abusers.

Good LEO’s have nothing to fear from his protest, only immoral criminal actors hiding behind behind the badge doing dirty deeds should fear the light.

54. Genius.

If you went to war for a flag, instead of giving a citizen the right to burn the flag, you went to the war for the wrong reason.

55. Golly, what a lucky development for Kap!

It seems that getting suddenly and inexplicably political has been a Godsend to his career….

And by sheer accident, i’m certain.

56. Sitting during the Anthem isn’t a good way to decry police brutality. Cops cross the line of fairness and justice and “protect and serve” every day- to Americans of all skin tones.

Here in my white part of America small-town cops shoot locals in the chest 3 times for acting “weird” and “refusing to drop the butter knife he was holding-but not brandishing” at a distance of 10 feet from the Taser-equipped cop who CHOSE to shoot the kid 3x’s instead of Tasering him.

And all this happened right in front of more than a dozens VFD witnesses, who – of course- supported the cops’ shooting an 18yo in the chest 3 times for ” acting weird and showing a kitchen knife” (even tho it was a butter knife and the kid was stumble-drunk).

So yeah- cops are violent and brutal to whites too. Black Americans DO NOT have a monopoly on sadness.

races are BS., There is only ONE race that matters here-

The American Race.

57. This whole Kaepernick thing is pretty controversial but Antonio Brown isn’t. You can buy his jersey for your toddler on Groupon right now for 27% off ( bit.ly/2kmmMAk ) #Ad