Kaepernick says he’s not a Muslim, decries rumors fueled by Islamophobia

Getty Images

Colin Kaepernick said today that he is not a Muslim and believes the rumors that he is are fueled by Islamaphobia.

“I have great respect for the religion, know a lot of people that are Muslim and are phenomenal people,’’ Kaepernick said. “But I think that [rumor of conversion] comes along with people’s fear of this protest, as well as Islamophobia in this country. People are terrified of them to the point where Trump wants to ban all Muslims from coming here, which is ridiculous.”

Kaepernick said his girlfriend, Nessa Diab, is a Muslim and has had an impact on his views, though he has not converted.

“The impact is just conversations that we constantly have,’’ he said. “This is an open discussion that I have with many people, not just my woman. She is Muslim, her family is Muslim, I have great respect for them. I have great respect for people’s right to believe what they want to believe. And I don’t think anybody should be prosecuted or judged based on what their beliefs are.’’

Kaepernick has become the NFL’s most-discussed player since his refusal to stand for the national anthem became publicized following the 49ers’ third preseason game. He will continue to kneel for the anthem before the 49ers’ opener on Monday night against the Rams.

132 responses to “Kaepernick says he’s not a Muslim, decries rumors fueled by Islamophobia

1. Enough of this crap. Put it in a political forum. Football is entertainment. Football is my ‘Safe Space’ to get away from this kind of garbage.

I want my Safe Space back!!

2. Maybe this is getting all blown out of proportion, he knows he’s gonna warm the bench all game and all season so he probably was just used to sitting.

3. Seems like Colin has dropped a lot of weight (less muscular), become a vegan, changed his hairstyle (he may need a bigger helmet), become a lot more political and less popular since he started dating his new girlfriend.

4. If this was never publicized (which it wasn’t in the beginning), nobody else would be sitting during the national anthem. But now other players in the league and other sports are doing it. We live in such a social media/media, follow-the-leader driven society that it’s sickening.

Whether you agree with him or not, he believes what he believes. Just as we all do. It’s really that simple at the end of the day.

5. Gotta feel bad for 49er teammates and their fans with Kaep’s circus in town.

Meanwhile, the Browns are all like, “Thanks, Santa Clara!”

6. “…discussion that I have with many people, not just my woman.”

“My woman.” Pretty sure that’s not gonna fly with any feminists that previously supported Kaep.

7. Sorry Kap, but if the PFT commenters say you’re a Muslim, then you’re a Muslim. After all, they know as much about your private life as you do.

8. In stating that Trump says he wants to keep out all Muslims from this country, Kaepernick exposes himself as an uninformed fraud.

Trump never said that.

What he said was that he wants to keep out all Muslim terrorists, of which not all Muslim immigrants are.

Kaepernick has just lost all credibility

9. wagon151515 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:32 PM
    trump doesn’t want to ban “all muslims”. ignorance is bliss. and the youth is full of it these days.

———————–
    People hear what they want to hear. I agree 100%

10. I do think rumors that Kap is “the most hated player since Rae Carruth”, (who murdered his pregnant fiancé) among NFL execs are fueled by “Kapearnickophobia”. I feel a bit sick and think I’m coming down with it as well.

11. “My woman”

Yep, there’s all kinds of enlightenment right there.
    He may not be one but he’s at least got that part of the fundamentalist Muslim approach to sexual equality down pat.

12. Conservatives have disgraced themselves. This country was founded on freedoms to speak out and practice whatever religion (no, not just Christianity). The Conservatives have yelled at him to leave even though military folks fought and died for people like Kaepernick to speak out and for religious people like his girlfriend to practice her religion.

13. Where did he get this from? This disrespectful individual now has fifth graders kneeling. what do they know of Colin police phobia, despicable actions from one called a professional.

14. Muslim fear is only for the Fox News fed people who have never seen or talked to a Muslim. I live In A city with people from all over the world. I’ve had Muslims as professors and drivers, they cook good food. Go to work, pray to God five times a day and care for their families. Good people and fine Americans, when Given the chance.

15. People are terrified of them to the point where Trump wants to ban all Muslims from coming here
    ===================================

Uh, no he doesn’t. This just goes to show how ignorant Kaepernick is on the issues he talks about.

16. bleedingfacemask says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:29 PM
    This is the first time that I’ve heard this rumor.

Let me guess…started by a twitter-jerk?

______________________________________

it was a fake story on Facebook that got picked up and repeated by Sean Hannity

17. Kap is clearly one of the most ignorant, low information, MSM-parroting people I’ve ever heard. I can’t believe he actually went to college. And that it wasn’t Mizzou or De Paul. Total lack of knowledge and education on every topic he’s commented on.

18. His “woman” lives in New York. And when it was rumored Denver wanted to trade for him, he floated the idea that he wanted to play for the NY Jets.

So, he’d rather go “play” for the Jets (with Fitzpatrick likely to resign there) than go play for the defending SB champs in Denver so he can be closer to his “woman”. Sounds like she’s taken over his mind and his will to be a good football player. I haven’t even heard him voice his strong desire to be the starting QB. I think he’s just along for the paycheck now and has lost interest in football, which is probably driven by his “woman”.

19. I have always seen the patriotism directed toward the flag and anthem as acknowledgements of the ideals we strive for as a country and not just how well or poorly we are currently doing at reaching those ideals. Because of this Kap’s method of demonstrating seemed misplaced to me. It seemed he should be honoring the flag and anthem, while using his platform to say he feels we have work to do to fully reach those ideals as a society.

These comments here are presented better here in my opinion. I am glad he has used his platform this time to support tolerance and diversity in easier way for people to hear hopefully.

20. My god. If he’s a Muslim, who cares. This division in this country is getting damn scary. If we don’t change the narrative, America will be weakened, maybe irreparably. This whole Kap thing needs to end, and end NOW.

21. “my woman” sounds like he’s already bought into the fundamentalists dogma. How do you feel about the LGBT community? T the earlier “jingoist” comment..this conversation is about the oppression of a people not flag waving.

22. Obviously the man is still ignorant about many things. Don’t tell me that muslims are not eating this up. They would do what he’s doing based on everything about this country, not just the issues he pointed out. It’s not islamophobia, not afraid of that religion. But that religion makes certain assertion and many of which include women no exercising certain freedoms.

23. If you disagree with what he has to say, more power to you. If you think he should be punished for it, or feel his (or anyone’s) religion is cause for different treatment by our society you have a much bigger problem with the fundamental values of our nation than he does.

24. Hitdog18 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:49 PM
    bleedingfacemask says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:29 PM
    This is the first time that I’ve heard this rumor.

Let me guess…started by a twitter-jerk?

______________________________________

it was a fake story on Facebook that got picked up and repeated by Sean Hannity

2 5

_________________________________

why are people “down voting” this?? google it yourself, but it is absolutely true that it was A) a fake news story and then B) picked up by Fox news (first Hannity and then Bolling). Man i cant stand fox news fans.. they dont want to ever come out of the bubble

25. badmoonrison says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:53 PM

—————————–
    Well speak up then. They down the truth. Demonstrate your higher education with actual conversation besides just saying he’s ignorant.

26. One more thing, if he had a daughter with his girlfriend, she better be his wife or else according to that religion. Also, said daughter would be denied half the rights her brother would be entitled to. Speak to that Kaep.

27. You can’t blame people for not keeping up with Trump’s flip flopping. Every new poll makes him change his tune. Nobody really knows what he has on his agenda.

28. Yes, “Islamophobia”, of course. Not that it’s reasonable to assume he’s Muslim because who knows where that’s coming from, but the fact is, his use of the word is just another indicator of the garbage with which his mind has been poisoned.

29. Just want to point out that Nessa Diab used to be Aldon Smith’s girlfriend and is now dating Colin Kaepernick.

I believe there was a scuffle at practice two years ago over the issue. Colin also slept with Matt Barnes’ wife.

Oh wait, but Colin Kaepernick is the moral authority these days? Am I right?

30. Its kinda like going to a Bruce Springsteen concert and having to sit there for 15 minutes in between songs so he can bloviate on his political opinion that he formed that morning sitting on the porcelain throne. I mean, shut up already and sing, we didn’t pay good money to hear your latest rant.

Same thing with Kap, I get it, he wants to make a statement. Try making it on the football field first and then maybe we might pay attention.

31. He’s wrong of course about President Trump banning all muslims for entering America. He wants to do a better job at vetting them so the terrorists don’t slip through.

32. There’s just nowhere to escape anymore but video games. I can’t even watch a football game anymore without being subjected to more drama of this type. I don’t want to see class warfare wherever I look.

I’m not a racist, I’m not a sexist, and I’m sick and tired of people saying I am these things simply because of my skin color. I know these accusations aren’t true, but it still hurts to be called these things. Even the most vigilant spirit gets worn down after years of being told something that isn’t true.

33. Ever notice that when the topic of Trump comes up the number of those opposed to him is half the number of those with him? An indication of what is to come on November 8 people!

34. granadafan says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:44 PM
    ——————————————————————

And those freedoms have allowed him to casually sit on butt on the sideline like a little child. Not the point. The point is, anyone with that large a platform should absolutely expect the subsequent scrutiny, particularly when your impetus is a complete abortion of fact and reason.

35. Leftists love using “phobias” to slant anyone who has a different view.

I guess this means Kap has “flag-o-phobia” and possibly “really-bad-haircut-phobia.”

36. abninf says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:48 PM
    ===================================

—–

Eh, he’s not much more ignorant than Trump is himself lol

37. granadafan says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:44 PM
    ————–

First off, the first amendment doesnt protect you from being wrong and sounding like an idiot. It just just means you cant be arrested for it. Secondly, the irony behind calling conservatives disgraceful for voicing their opinons while arguing Kaps rights but ignoring their rights to disagree with him just makes you look stupid. As a 13 year vet I find it absolutely disrespectful but understand his liberties. Plus forcing people to stand would just take the respect out of standing. But before liberals aline themselves with Kap maybe you should become informed, this guy wore a Castro shirt while speaking out against opression, he also is the most recent person to be fined for using the N word at another player. This of course doesnt mean he should arrested for using his constitutional right but it does mean he is a hypocrit.

38. poundtherock says:
    Sep 7, 2016 7:26 PM

Oh wait, but Colin Kaepernick is the moral authority these days? Am I right?

————————————————–

Does not make him any less right about the issue he is bringing up. When he runs for office, then those cases could be relevant.

39. And now you guys are lying for Trump…YES, his first statement on the subject was, and I quote, “Donald j Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on” HIS WORDS EXACTLY

40. Who cares if he is a muslim or not?

I care that he’s seen part of a problem and is using his stature and visibility as an NFL player to be racist about it.

It’s not racism. It’s policy.

Kaepernick can’t figure that out, nor can he figure out the policies which came from a militarized police not only effect EVERYONE, but has been enforced by Barrack Obama.

Isn’t it funny too, that Obama, the war criminal he is, came on to support Kaepernick.

Maybe because Kaepernick isn’t pointing the finger at him.

So what gets solved by ignoring who and why these situations are taking place, while at the same time being racist?

Well simple, the situation goes unaddressed, gets worse, and new problems emerge.

Thanks Kaep! It’s not about muslim anything, it’s about you being a moron about everything.

41. The League should just tell the networks to go to commercial during the anthem from now on, and to not report on any protests, or else. It will die down and go away. Article 46 should cover that.

42. “The impact is just conversations that we constantly have,’

Constantly have? Must be a great romance. Sounds like a great date.

43. WTF is “Islamophobia”? How can you be afraid of a religion?

Is Kaep’s ‘fro growing as far inward as it is outward? Because somebody might want to check his IQ level and see if it’s falling.

44. Wasn’t he raised by a white couple after his black father abandoned him? Who had the phobia and thought a black life didn’t matter in that scenario anyway?

45. ryanw822 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 7:55 PM
    Great respect for that religion?

He obviously knows nothing about that religion’s teachings and doctrines.
    ——
    most idiotic comment ever! You speak as if you’re not a descendent of your forefathers and mothers, many of whom at one time believed in burning witches at the stake.

Stop speaking as if you know Islam, or personally have ever known anyone, i.e. friends of the Islamic faith. You come across as a complete and total fraud.

46. Kap is right–Trump’s rhetoric is advancing Islamophobia. Refer to March 22, 2016: Trump calls for police to patrol and secure Muslim neighborhoods before they become radicalized. Really? This is America and the last I heard, we don’t target people based on their religion, and I can add “millitarily” targeted. What’s next? Internment camps? We’re all Americans no matter our color, our religion, our political beliefs. . . We’re all in this TOGETHER. Don’t you people see how un-American this mindset is?

47. Even if he was a Muslim. And…?

There are a lot of Muslim players in the NFL and NBA. And two of the greatest all time were Muslim: Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Muhammad Ali.

Now what…?

48. His religion makes zero difference, except to the haters who pretty much are going to hate everything he says no matter what.

Also, really loving your country includes admitting there are issues that need to be addressed and getting that conversation started. The biggest problem most of his haters have is that he’s talking about issues that they prefer to ignore.

Couple of months ago a black kid was shot by Fresno PD while he was laying on the ground. Last month in Los Angeles, an unarmed and completely innocent black teenager was shot by LAPD — the big news on that shooting is that the police admitted the error. And that’s because of the Black Lives Matter movement forcing people to have this discussion.

Also – an unarmed white man (homeless guy) was shot by police in Castaic (a very wealthy area). Black Lives Matter protesters also rallied about this shooting — and obviously the guy isn’t black.

There’s a problem out there that needs to be addressed. Kap is forcing the discussion, even though it’s an unpopular issue. That’s what a patriot does.

49. Also — if you’ve stated that you hate violent protests, Kap is engaging in a peaceful protest that only lasts a few minutes. Doesn’t interfere with the game.

But if you’re a jingoistic hater, it probably gets under your skin (as it should).

50. I like this guy. This country is great. Where else can you express yourself like that? Got some big balls.

51. “And I don’t think anybody should be prosecuted or judged based on what their beliefs are.’’”

This!

However, the one(s) who start rumors based on hate should not be able to hide in anonymity. Example: several months ago, the statistics/economics professor on the plane who was tossed because an ignorant woman thought he was writing threatening Arabic on a legal pad. The innocent prof was publicly identified but the ignorant bigoted woman was not and probably went to her next Trump rally to be treated as a queen.

52. Krap is just a racist IDIOT! Maybe too many hits to the head and not enough hits to his rear end as a child! Also called a brat with no discipline!!

53. In the same way that Tebow wasn’t really good at pro football and his in your face beliefs got him blackballed from the league, may you suffer the same fate Colin.
    Cheers!

54. Attention NFL and Direct TV, if the NFL allows this garbage to continue much longer we shall see how many billions of dollars you lose!!! Direct TV, you should also pay attention because the only reason football fans pay for your service is for the NFL ticket. If proud United States Citizens decide we are tired of this BS you will also lose billions of dollars. This is not a political platform, and if the NFL and Direct TV want to make it one, I am out!

55. Ironically, he now needs to answer for the same stereotypical BS that’s entered into the presidential campaign…. and has its roots in the same damn thing he’s protesting.

The more the idiots that open their mouths, and are blindly followed by the sheep that buy their t-shirts and keychains, the more they’re actually proving this cat’s point. You’re making it easy.

Keep going, Colin. The more you need to answer to ignorant BS like this, the more likely it will be that this 14-year military veteran will start kneeling next to you during the National Anthem. By the way, thank you for the decision to kneel instead of sitting on your ass. Took it to another, more poignant, level.

56. rcali says:
    Sep 7, 2016 9:01 PM
    He’s the “#2” Qb. That’s funny.
    ———-
    You realize that’s one of the most desired jobs in the world. If it weren’t, they wouldn’t all be millionaires.

57. His “woman” seems like she may have pulled a Yoko Ono and really messed this guy’s head up.

Here is an idea….. All of your beliefs and protests, etc would be a lot more interesting to people if you were actually good at doing your job and considered to be a “star”. No one really cares what you have to say right now. No different than what that jobless guy on the corner is trying to preach. Keep it all up along with your lack of quality play and you can soon share that corner with him Colon. Smh…this guy is irrelevant at this point in time. I hate to say it, but I actually feel a little bad for Chipper right now. Not only is he hated and considered a joke among fans, but now he has to deal with this distraction while trying to coach a new football team and put a quality product on the field.

58. Interesting that he’ed out his Muslim gf and family like that. Muslim women are forbid from dating anyone who is not a Muslim, unless they’ve converted.

Could be a liberal family, I suppose.

59. whodatnhollywood says:
    Sep 7, 2016 8:37 PM

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Was Muhammad Ali in the NFL or NBA before or after his boxing career??? I must have blacked out for a few years, because I missed that.

60. Want this to go away…turn the station the moment you see someone kneel during anthem. Nothing kills a a bad message as quickly as low tv ratings. Guarantee TV networks will stop it if it hurts thier viewership.

61. jchipwood says:
    It only took 8 years for America to become so full of idiots. Imagine what will happen if we have 4 more.

——–

Absolutely. The horror of people exercising their First Amendment rights is truly repugnant and morally offensive. Why can’t it be like the good old days, when we had eight years of an administration that lied to the country in order to start a war that killed tens of thousands of people, destabilized an entire region and solved nothing? Ah, those were the salad days.

62. concord148 says:
    Sep 7, 2016 6:39 PM

I have a solution – Replace the National Anthem with Yakety Sax and everybody will be happy.

Thanks a lot! My coffee came out my nose when I read this. Imagining them running around a 2x speed is hilarious.

63. Just wait until Gabbert comes back to reality.. Every team has film on this kid now its a reason he stunk for years.. Then Kaep will srart @QB again & the media frenzy will triple!! 49ers are in for it big time!

64. “Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on,” a campaign press release said.
    12-7-15

Dear, Trump fans he’s changed his stance since then but did want to stop all Muslims at one point.

65. Colin Kaepernick courageous stand has exposed one thing about the long list of scoundrels we see hiding behind the American flag which is their limited knowledge of this nation, it’s Constitution and what it stands for. I think MLK said it best.”‘Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.’

66. Islamophobia lol another made up word. How do you talk about the oppression of people of color and then say you have respect for islam, the same religion that started the African slave trade? Lololol. This guy blows.

67. I think US Hockey Coach John Tortorella said it best “If any of my players sit for the National Anthem, they will sit there the rest of the game.”

Of course in this case, Kaeperdink was going to ride the bench all game anyway. But the point is, freedom of expression does not give you freedom from the consequences of your actions.

68. “He will continue to kneel for the anthem before the 49ers’ opener on Monday night against the Rams.” He will also continue to ride the bench as he is a second rate player as well as a second rate human being.

69. Why is everyone calling “my woman” into question?

You people are ridiculous, you freak out when you hear the temptations “my girl”?

Muricans need to grow up and quit being such pansies