Report: Shaun Hill will start Sunday for Vikings

AP

Vikings players were informed Friday that Shaun Hill will be the team’s starting quarterback in Sunday’s opener at Tennessee, NFL Network reported Friday afternoon.

Earlier in the day, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that he had made a decision on who would start but wouldn’t share until Sunday for strategic reasons. The team has made no formal announcement.

The Vikings traded for Sam Bradford last weekend, and he’ll eventually take over as the starting quarterback unless Hill plays exceptionally well. But Bradford is still catching up to the team’s playbook, verbiage and line calls, so Hill starting this week and possibly next wouldn’t be a surprise.

Titans Coach Mike Mularkey said this week he expected Bradford to start.

105 responses to “Report: Shaun Hill will start Sunday for Vikings

1. Shocker. I mean did anyone really think they were going to play Bradford after 8 or 9 days in Minnesota? I’d be surprised if Bradford plays before week 4 unless Hill single handedly loses a game or two.

2. Gee, what a surprise. They just gave up next year’s #1 pick to win this year with someone else’s starting QB, but they start the second stringer after all whom they didn’t trust to lead the team in the first place.

What happens with Shaun comes out and stinks it up? Fans (and the owner) will ask why they didn’t just start Sam?

And no, don’t make comparisons to Josh Freeman coming on and starting his first week in MIN in 2014.

3. “Remember when little Erin Rogers missed 6 games with shoulder discomfort? He could learn a lot from Hill on toughness!”

Well then, I guess little Teddy could too.

4. I kind of want them to dress Stave and have him run the first running play before switching out just to see the chaos that comes of it.

5. Sep 9, 2016 6:29 PM
    0-1 start so.Hill is awful
    ————–
    Shut up, Cheesehead. Worry about ur own suspect team. Go Jags!

6. So who is the guy who leaked this info? I see trouble for someone. Zimmer is not going to like this at all.

7. Lindacaseidiot says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:39 PM
    Sep 9, 2016 6:29 PM
    0-1 start so.Hill is awful
    ————–
    Shut up, Cheesehead. Worry about ur own suspect team. Go Jags!

////

Wow, now be nice…..

8. I think it’s good that we are starting hill. He knows the whole play book, and it’s not like he will have to light it up against the Titans. Our defense is gonna control the game.

Vikings win 28 -6

9. As easy as it was to win the division last year I believe we will have it wrapped up by week 6! Bears and lions are rebuilding and green Bay has the defense of a good high school team. Let’s not forget all of the arrests and now Mccarthy is bribing cops with money! So many distractions in cheeseville!

10. bucsorbust says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:32 PM
    ———————

Just this side of little ari. The next sensible thing you post will be the first. It would be considerably less than realistic to expect Bradford to be up to speed in that short a period of time.

11. tokyosandblaster says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:59 PM

Titans by two scores.

*********************************
    JACKSONVILLE by 4 scores.

12. cribbage12 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:00 PM
    Lindacaseidiot says:
    ————–
    Lol. I love it! Obviously I hit another Cheesehead paranoid nerve by your infantile moniker of me. Keep it up, and I will too.

13. ariani1985 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:26 PM
    ///////////////////////

who?

14. ariani1985 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:02 PM
    ………green Bay has the defense of a good high school team.
    ////////////////////////////////////

Well, I guess the same thing can be said about the Vikings then. Everyone knows they’re about equal on defense.

15. If only Zimmer was coach when Josh Freeman was traded. No way should he have started a primetime game being on the team for like a week. Clearly knew none of the plays

16. lindacaseauthor says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:13 PM
    /////////////////////////////////

Why don’t you just come right out and say it?

“I know you are, but what am I?” That’s what you’re saying, Junior.

17. the Vikings better be the best team on the planet to win any game with Hill starting. Just watch what happens when Titans mix things up…the guy is a human apple turnover.

18. h0metownzero says:

Geezers like Shaun Hill are why the Vikings have become the 2nd oldest team in the NFL.

—-

This is actually hometown’s most accurate comment ever. The Vikings have a very young team outside of a couple guys like Hill and Newman who skew the overall age.

19. racksie says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:57 PM

__________________________________________________________

Are you serious? Nobody in their right mind, especially a NFL coach believed Bradford would actually start. It was just a bunch of smoke and games. Zimmer would be a fool to start a QB who has been on the team for 8 or 9 days.

As to Mularkey saying he expected Bradford to start, that’s just more games. He knew it was Hill all along.

20. stellarperformance says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:20 PM
    ariani1985 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:02 PM
    ………green Bay has the defense of a good high school team.
    ////////////////////////////////////

___________________

Nobody thinks they’re equal.

Not even you.

21. dinodimes69 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:22 PM
    Jose feliciano could throw for 225 against this titans “D”

Which is oddly enough, very and I mean VERY close to what Teddy B averages per game.

Not a good look…..

22. The comments section on Vikings articles is getting unbearable to read anymore. Packer trolls have become so nonsensical and crass, I’m starting to think they were more tolerable before they became the second best team in the division. Good thing the season is finally here!

As for actual football talk, I’m glad to see Hill will be starting. I think Lebeau’s defensive schemes will require a lot more audibilizing and changing of protections than Bradford is currently ready for. But definitely have a couple dozen of plays ready for Bradford, just in case Hill gets hurt. Bradord may be ready in time for the Packer game, but if Hill plays ok, no need to rush it.

23. chris1cat says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:45 PM

The most important starting info is all 11 Viking Defenders are starting. Period.

bridgeh2o says:

One of the smartest posts on this thread.

The Cheeser trolls are truly worried this year.

Worried if they will be victorious in holding on to their 2nd place slot this year.

We beat gbay, even with Hill.

We are the true package. Ready to wipe up the league!!!!

24. beer4guy says:
    Sep 9, 2016 8:09 PM
    The comments section on Vikings articles is getting unbearable to read anymore. Packer trolls…
    ———————–

That’s hysterical. I’m an AFC guy and check in on Packers & Vikes articles just to see the yahoo portion of your fan base make fools of themselves. When the much smaller proportion of Packers trolls return the favor there’s always a few Vikes fans that are shocked that they are reaping what their brethren have sown. Look to your own house for the cause, every fan base has trolls but yours has a higher quotient than most.

25. lindacaseauthor says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:13 PM

cribbage12 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:00 PM
    Lindacaseidiot says:
    ————–
    ===================================
    That means you hit a nerve with Linda. Trust me, though, calling her an author is far more offensive to the literary world than calling her an idiot.

She’s angry tonight. Must have hit the box of white zinfandel early today.

26. My fellow Vike fans have the same attitude like they did last year prior to the 49ers game. Not good. Not good at all.

27. filthymcnasty3 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:50 PM
    I can’t believe they’ve given up on Pam Bradford already.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let’s see if Erin Rogers can work magic with one-legged Jodie and a fish net O-line at best.

28. I was at Maryland when he was. I have to give him a lot of credit because I doubt anyone thought he was even going to make the NFL, let alone be starting a game this far into the future. I don’t feel old but I AM old and realize most of the athletes I went to school with are long retired (and usually not by choice). Backup QB in the NFL is one of the best jobs in the world.

29. frank booth says:
    Sep 9, 2016 8:55 PM
    lindacaseauthor says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:13 PM

cribbage12 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:00 PM
    Lindacaseidiot says:
    ————–
    ===================================

She’s angry tonight. Must have hit the box of white zinfandel early today.

//////////////

Thanks Mr. Booth and Stellar. As you suspect, my nerves are intact. Glad clear minds prevail. I admit, though, that I sometimes feel quite badly that the Vikes fans simply can’t match our wit and knowledge. I guess the closest would be Ariani and Codymeister.

30. If AP was the snitch, not a problem. anyone else, not so much.

Reminds me of the Jimmy Johnson quote about if a player fell asleep in a meeting, he’d cut him; and when someone asked what would happen if Troy Aikman did it, and Jimmy replied, “I’d get him a pillow”.

31. patsfan4lifesbchamps says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:12 PM
    Derrick Henry > Ageing Adrian Peterson
    ————————————————–
    How many times will Adrian Peterson be underestimated?

32. Any viking fan who posts about how the vikings are going to pound other teams is foolish.

We lose a starting quarterback and you think we are going to pound other teams?

Please wait for a few weeks.
    If the vikes start out 3 – 1, then have some fun.

I think Zimmer is the right coach to pull off a good season under this scenario, but it’s all speculation.

33. mnvikes1961 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:44 PM
    Nobody thinks they’re equal. Not even you.
    ////////////////////////////////

The people that work with statistics at NFL headquarters do, well, “about” equal. So do I. I never said equal…….but pretty damn close.

34. I would argue that the Packers offense (ranked 15th) and the Vikings offense (ranked 16th) are much closer that the Packers defense (ranked 12th) and the Vikings defense (ranked 5th) in scoring (aka the stat that matters).

35. stellarperformance says:
    Sep 10, 2016 8:52 AM
    mnvikes1961 says:
    Sep 9, 2016 7:44 PM
    Nobody thinks they’re equal. Not even you.
    ////////////////////////////////

______________________________
    Rodgers’ 2015 QB Rating was 92, Bridgewater’s was 89. So by your logic, they are “about” equal.

36. Watch. Vikes will win and Hill will be the new Queen Nation Superhero. Tiny will be forgotten. Queen Nation desperately needs a Superhero at all times to justify their putrid lack of self esteem.

37. Did any of you REALLY think Bradford would be starting 8 days into a new system?

Hill looked fine in pre-season. He doesn’t need to do anything special. He actually looked really good against the first string Seahawks Defense.

Seems like the Vikes are damned if they do, and damned if they don’t in the eyes of Packers fans.

According to them, Bridgewater sucks, Hill sucks, the Bradford Trade was a terrible idea, etc. No matter what happens the Pack fans will try and downplay it as a terrible idea.

As long as our Defense stays stout, and our O-Line doesn’t collapse every other play, we will have a successful season, even without TB.

After all, TB “sucked” last year, right Packers fans? Shouldn’t be tough to replace him if that’s the case.

38. beer4guy says:
    Sep 10, 2016 10:11 AM
    //////////////////////////////////////////////

It would appear that way, wouldn’t it? Rodgers had a very poor year and Bridgewater was a pro-bowler, so yeah, they were about equal……for one season.

39. tjacks7 says:
    Sep 10, 2016 9:33 AM
    /////////////////////////////////

You can pick and choose whatever enables you to sleep at night. After all, Viking fans are noted for splitting hairs and missing the point since 1961.

But the fact remains: The NFL has determined the manner in which teams are ranked, not me.

Yardage produced and yardage prevented.

40. The Vikings will be fine. This team reminds me of the old school teams built on running and solid defense. Should be a fun game on Sunday… My favorite thing about the comments is when people give the players different names like Erin, Pam, and Bustwater. Classic 3rd grade trash talk lol.

41. Because of the run-first Viking offense, they faced the third lowest number of offensive drives in the entire league last year. If you tally the points-per-drive, a much better indicator of point-stopping power, the Vikings rank 14th.

Surprise, surprise. Right about where the NFL had them ranked.

42. And I thought the nfl ranked teams based on who won more games…. In which case, the Vikings and Packers were “almost” equal last year too.

43. Ahhh….I see now. You guys are choosing to not understand. And here I thought you just didn’t get it.

44. It pains the trolls to admit that the Vikings were as good as the Packers last year, if not better. Although I can’t recall any of them actually admitting it. Obviously, the Vikings were just “lucky” last year. “Lucky” to win 11 games and very “lucky” to dominate them, in Lambeau, in a game in which their own QB deemed “for all the marbles”.

45. tjacks7,
    The scoring defense can be miss leading, that’s why they use the yardage to rate defenses.
    Scoring defenses you have to consider, pick-6’s, fumbles deap in there own territory. Kickoff and punt returns. Safety’s.
    They’ve been using the yardage stat, for at least 50 years.

In college they use points, but this is the NFL. that’s all that matters!!

46. It must be very embarrassing for both Viking & Packer fans, that make up a lot of these childish comments. (I’m a Packer fan)
    After I read some of these, I shake my head, and wonder how these people survive through the day, without some kinda assistance.
    I’m sure someone will comment about my comment, and further embarrasse themselves.

Again, It hurts to lose your starting QB, but at least it happened early enough in the season, where you can still make adjustments.
    It will be very tough to win the division again, but not impossible.

47. beer4guy says:
    Sep 10, 2016 12:36 PM

——————————

And yet the Packers made it farther, again.

48. Sure, the Packers limped into the playoffs and the Redskins won their division by default. The worst two teams in the playoffs. Somebody had to win.

49. I think the draft order is indicative of best-to-worst teams in the playoffs. Who drafted first, Packers or Vikings?

There’s your answer.

50. Look at it this way:

The Vikings choked in every conceivable way in their HOME playoff game.

They couldn’t score a TD. They had a 10 point lead but the defense couldn’t hold a two score lead.

Their star running back had 45 yards.

They missed a chip shot field goal.

When the going gets tough, the vikings leave whimpering, and their fans make excuses.

51. Stellar, the better team does not get smoked in the final game, at home, “for all the marbles.” The Packers are merely a second place team that drew the easiest possible playoff opponent.

Scrotum, yes, we had one player, our kicker, choke. The Packers had their whole defense choke last year, and their entire team and coaching staff the year before that. Which is easier to fix?

Shaggy, are you serious? Packers lost 6 out of their last 10 games, and needed a phantom face mask call followed by a Hail Mary to do that. If that’s not the definition of limping in, I don’t know what is.

52. stellarperformance says:
    Sep 10, 2016 5:38 PM

There’s your answer.
    _________________________

Actually the only REAL way to compare two teams is to have them play each other. They didn’t play each other in the play-offs.

So it must have been part of McChunky’s mastermind plan to LOSE the division at Lambeau so he could get a LESSER draft position?

Wasn’t he aware Erin was putting all her marbles on the line?

We all know the better team in fact won that game. There’s your direct comparison.

53. So…having a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter isn’t having your defense and offense choke? All you needed was one more field goal. Your “all star” RB couldn’t get you into field goal range.

I’m sorry, but add up the Packers points vs the Vikings last year, and then add the Vikings points against the Packers.

Who scored more?

Thanks.

54. Did you just really go to the total points scored card? That’s hilarious! In what sport, in what country, in what stratosphere, is that even relevant? That has to be one of the biggest reaches I’ve ever seen by a troll. Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.

55. beer4guy says:
    Sep 10, 2016 8:51 PM
    /////////////////////////////////////////

And not relevant? I’m afraid it is. It’s #10 in a two-team tie-breaker. You can’t say it’s not relevant.

56. mnvikes1961 says:
    Sep 10, 2016 7:20 PM
    /////////////////////////////

The point being made had nothing to do with who was the better team (was, past tense.) It was about how the NFL ranked teams for draft position based on how deep they made it in the playoffs.

The Packers did better.

57. No, he didn’t. You guys did. You can’t handle the fact the NFL ranks teams by yardage. You’ve been insisting points is the most important statistic, so he provided an example for you.

—————-
    0-3 at Lambeau in the division, 0-2 against the Lions. There’s some 2015 stats we can munch on for a while.

58. skol4life says:
    Sep 10, 2016 9:38 PM
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////

Yeah, very down year for the Packers. All the division opponents won at Lambeau. It tells me the Vikings are in the same company as the Bears and Lions, not the Patriots or Broncos.

You’re about to find out.

59. stellarperformance says:
    Sep 10, 2016 9:36 PM
    mnvikes1961 says:
    Sep 10, 2016 7:20 PM
    /////////////////////////////

The Packers did better.

_________________

Basically- better than the Redskins. Wow.

60. Not stellar
    ))))))))))))))))))
    Actually nobody has said that about the packers defense. People that have played in the league and cover talk about the Vikings defense. They do not say that they are the same as the packer defense. They say top 5 defense some say it could be the best in the NFL. You guys have Fabio who goes 2 weeks without making a tackle.

61. Not stellar

Broncos 23- Vikings 20

Broncos 29 – packers 10

Arizona 23 – Vikings 20 (on a short week)

Arizona 38 – packers 8

The Vikings are closer to the elite teams than your packers. Both were road games like your game was too.

62. h0metownzero says:
    Sep 9, 2016 6:33 PM

)))))))))

Newman, AD and Hill are the reason but this stat is misleading. And it is not really important as the studs on defense are young guys – Bar, Kendricks & Smith So go ahead and call them geezers. They do not care.