Aqib Talib not expected to face league discipline from shooting

Getty Images

When last we heard about Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib’s offseason shooting, both Dallas police and the NFL were said to have ongoing investigations into what happened before a bullet found its way into Talib’s leg.

Talib was shot in June and told police that he didn’t know who shot him, although there were reports at the time that he told people that he’d shot himself accidentally in a replay of the Plaxico Burress situation. The police report of the situation made no mention of that or of Talib having a gun without ruling out either possibility.

The NFL could issue discipline to Talib for violating the Personal Conduct Policy even if the police didn’t find anything to warrant criminal charges. It appears that won’t happen, though.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Talib is not expected to face any discipline unless new information comes to light. Given how little the picture has changed since Talib was initially shot and that PFT has learned, via sources, that no one who might have witnessed the incident is talking to police, that makes it likely Talib will be available to the Broncos all year barring an injury.

34 responses to “Aqib Talib not expected to face league discipline from shooting

1. He’s a Bronco what do you expect?

Goodell, the most corrupt sports commission of any league in modern America.

Double standards abound and corruption rules the day.

2. It’s about time the NFL held off on punishing if they have no evidence. I’m looking for our guys to beat the Broncos this year and I even suspect Talib was too playing around with things he had promised not to, enough circumstantial to make me pretty sure. But until there is something real in hand I would rather the example be that he stays on the field unsanctioned. So this is the actually NFL doing the right thing, finally.
    #ADayLateAndADollarShort
    #Better late than never.

3. Plaxico Burress admits that he shot himself and is suspended for 4 games.

Ben Rothlesberger is convicted of nothing, gets 6 games (reduced on appeal).

Talib, shoots himself, lies about it gets 0. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Her Roger the Dodger, about that integrity and transparency thing?????

4. taintedsaints2009 says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:47 PM
    What?! He fired a gun in a public place! How is that not punishable?

————————–

5. greenlargo says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:49 PM
    ++++++++++++=

Agreed but that certainly hasn’t stopped the NFL before.
    Some teams are just (ahem) ‘lucky’ I guess

6. greenlargo says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:49 PM
    It’s about time the NFL held off on punishing if they have no evidence.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    No evidence? The path of the bullet is enough to prove he shot himself and lied to police/investigators.

7. Talib has a very long criminal history, and was shipped out of Tampa for such antics. Adderall use, fighting, Assaulting a cab driver in St. Pete, aggravated assault with a weapon on him and his mom. I can’t believe he still has a job in the NFL, and its only a matter of time before something else (worse?) happens. Some people just do it to themselves.

8. FinFan68 says:
    Sep 18, 2016 1:05 PM
    greenlargo says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:49 PM
    It’s about time the NFL held off on punishing if they have no evidence.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

—————————

Sadly it’s not. It’s circumstantial only. It makes you suspect it in your gut yo ve sure, but it’s not proof. The lack of GSR on his hand is a factor too.

9. You are preaching to the choir here. I’m a Pat’s fan. But I also don’t think 2 wrongs make a right. Even on a player I hate and wish to see gone.

10. chippysbinky says:
    Sep 18, 2016 1:02 PM
    greenlargo says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:49 PM
    ++++++++++++=

Agreed but that certainly hasn’t stopped the NFL before.
    Some teams are just (ahem) ‘lucky’ I guess

———————

You are preaching to the choir here. I’m a Pat’s fan. But I also feel that two wrongs don’t make a right. Even on a player I hate and would love to see gone. (I really would)

11. greenlargo says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:58 PM
    taintedsaints2009 says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:47 PM
    What?! He fired a gun in a public place! How is that not punishable?

————————–

—————————-
    —————————-

Actually they DO know. A self inflicted gunshot wound in and out wound to the leg is beyond obvious. I’ve seen a few and they all look quite similar. BUT prosecution depends on location.

Plax was IN a nightclub (the charge is reckless endangerment) in a city that had a Mayor who got up every day with gun control as his first thoughts.

Most jurisdictions are not going to prosecute this (if it happened at home, it is not even a crime). Talib is famous and had he not been this would have been just another idiot shooting himself in the leg.

Every single one says the same thing . ” I was walking down the street and felt pain and went to the hospital.”

The process to get a conviction is insane and not even remotely worth it in most jurisdictions. It really does happen 2 or 3 times a week in a big city and no one is ever prosecuted except for Plax and that was because he was famous.

12. backintheday99 says:
    Sep 18, 2016 1:21 PM
    greenlargo says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:58 PM
    taintedsaints2009 says:
    Sep 18, 2016 12:47 PM
    What?! He fired a gun in a public place! How is that not punishable?

————————–

—————————-
    —————————-

—————–

The “I was just walking and felt a pain” we all know is BS 9+ times out of 10 but it’s still near impossible to disprove (to your point how hard it is to get a conviction). What would have been telling would have been GSR from his hand. It doesn’t prove he shot his own self but that’s fine, it would prove he fired a gun which is all that’s needed. I’m not sure though whether their not having that evidence is because they didn’t look or did they test and he had none?

13. People shooting themselves in bars has got to stop. I’m going to protest at work tomorrow by “replying All” to every email I send!

14. All you guys act like you were there and have all the facts smh. No evidence at all he used a gun or had one. Seriously What can they do without any evidence at all? That’s right he’s a bronco doesn’t matter they get away with everything wah wah wah.

15. rcali says:
    Sep 18, 2016 2:02 PM

———————-
    Maybe you should start a #YourOwnLifeMatters movement to draw attention the the out of control self shootings in the country.

16. The Broncos getting a pass…what a shocker.

BTW, nice to see the league is easing Trevor Siemien’s transition to the NFL by making sure he gets all the same phantom pass interference calls that Manning used to get.

17. Give him a break. He only carried an illegal gun into a club, shot himself and then lied about it. It’s not like he let some air out of a football.

18. look at all the comments , what a bunch of crybabies ,, go watch the kardashiens and then shop at one of there dash stores . that should give you all that warm fuzzy feeling .

19. When are the owners gong to fire Goodell? Gives a four game suspension for alleged deflated footballs, but nothing for a guy shooting himself (yeah, sure) in public???

20. In response to poster Green

you posted the following: “This is a great example, we actually don’t know that. Sure we all suspect it strongly, but there is not evidence to back up what we all feel in our guts. So until they get that hard evidence he should go unpunished. I think he is scum and I would love to see him out of the game, but if they just arbitrarily do it to make the general public happy that hurts the game more than Talib does. (He does)”.
    ———————————-
    And this is different from suspending Tom Brady, exactly how? He was “suspected strongly, but there is not evidence to back up what we all feel in our guts. So until they get that hard evidence…” Goodell is a fool, a tool for the owners.