Sam Bradford returns to Philly with better knowledge of Vikings offense

AP

At one point, it appeared the Vikings and Eagles were on a collision course for a battle of unbeatens. But Philly failed to hold up its end of the bargain, losing a pair of games after the bye.

The Vikings now emerge from their own bye, with quarterback Sam Bradford saying “hello” again to the city where he spent 2015. The extra two weeks gives him more time to learn the offense — and the Vikings more time to tweak it.

For example, Vikings play-by-play announcer (and half of the PA and Florio podcast) Paul Allen said on Friday’s PFT Live that offensive coordinator Norv Turner has used more shotgun formation in order to give Bradford more time, so that he can minimize big hits.

Still, the big hits have happened. Bradford absorbed a hard shot from Texans linebacker Whitney Mercilus in Week Five, taking a helmet to the chin and the turf to the back of the head. But Bradford got up and kept going.

Whether that continues remains to be seen. The Eagles surely will come after him, focusing on weaknesses in the offensive line and perhaps sending extra defenders to overwhelm the pass protection. Whether Bradford can stand tall in the face of the pressure and deliver accurate throws and can keep getting up and doing it again will go along way toward determining whether the only undefeated team in the NFL can extend their record to 6-0.

54 responses to “Sam Bradford returns to Philly with better knowledge of Vikings offense

1. Out of the bye I think the Vikings start slow and are like down 10-3 at the half. Then a little halftime yelling and adjustments and it is shut-down time.

Vikings midway in the 3rd will be leading 13-10 and from there will go on to have 2 defensive TD’s and a safety and another TD from the offense. Eagles corners have a bad day. Final 36-10

Neither team goes over 100 yards rushing.

2. jackedupboonie says:
    Oct 21, 2016 11:33 PM
    Minny is last years panthers. Can’t wait to see how the Hawk game goes in the playoffs.
    =============================

I’d say they look more like last year’s Broncos but with a better QB.

3. The vikings are going to roll right over the tweety- birds. Zim going to give Wentz that ” welcome to the nlf moment” with the best defence in the league, NorvaCain will find all the holes in the Schwartz Defence and Sammy B will it exploit it.
    He will get used to it again vikings beat the Kitty-Kats alot when he was head coach.

Skol Vikes

6 – 0 baby

4. The Bradford trade, despite the claims of some, has worked well for the Vikings.

I’m excited to see what the extra week will bring to the playbook.

It just keeps getting better and better…

5. Vikings and Bradford would be a nice story if it were any other team. Vikings fans deserve Teddy Bridgewater though, after telling us how he is so great. So when they inevitably collapse in the playoffs and then resume stinking next year I think a lot of people will enjoy that.

Oh and the Vikings defense is better than most but they are nowhere near Denver or Seattle. Win a super bowl or lead the league in points allowed for FOUR straight years, then you can brag about your D.

6. aj66shanghai says:

_________________________________________

No? Well, the stats show we’re right there with them, if not better at this point. Have to start somewhere…..

7. The one guy to feel sorry for here is Bridgewater because if Bradford takes the Vikings to a Super Bowl, then he’ll be a Dolphin next year.

8. alfredogarciashead says:
    Oct 22, 2016 8:14 AM
    Blair Walsh hiding in the wings ready to break Vikings fans hearts in the playoffs with a disastrous miss. Can you say Gary Anderson?

can u say robert smith running out of bounds and not eating the rest of the clock up?

9. Why is Bradford getting so much praise for the VIKINGS success ? He’s doing a ” decent job ” seems a lot of people want to rate. Him among the elite qbs LOL . He’s an average. Qb at best , just in right place at righ time . If te VIKINGS defense has a bad game. Bradford is not going to win the game . Plus with his history , the VIKINGS line your 1 hit. Away from him being hurt again. Viking fans hold your breath every time he’s. Sacked , or comes up limping.

10. Just play as a team Vikings, complimentary football at its best, and you’ll be just fine. SKOL.

11. skol4life says:
    Oct 22, 2016 12:10 AM

“Thanks Philly for Bradford. You might have handed us the SB”.

Your welcome sko4. That means we also get Minnesota’s 2nd round pick to go along with the #1 in our pocket. Not to mention Wentz is a already better then Bradford will ever be.The Vikes are winning because of their defense but a smart guy like you already knew that. Right.

12. Your attempt at writing sentences is adorable Phil. You should print that out so mommy can put it on the fridge for you.

Eagles fans, no one ever said they were smart.

13. So why is the headline about learning more of the offense and then the story is about hard hits he takes with a shoddy line?

And as for the haters… keep on hating it’s exactly what us and Zimmer wants. Give us a reason!!!

14. Again, I’ve said this from opening day and this will continue………………….
    All that matters are the 11 guys playing Defense each different play.
    Rock n’ Skol !

15. aj66shanghai says:
    Oct 22, 2016 5:17 AM

————————
    The Vikings would be 5-0 with Bridgewater and blowing teams out in dramatic fashion. We caught a glimpse of it in the Chargers pre season game but fate pulled the rug out. Bradford hit the ground running and I don’t know how he did it but he’s been playing off of the defense by not turning the ball over. As for the defense go ask Newton and Rodgers who is the last team the want to see ever again. #keeptryingtoiceskateuphill

16. This should be a good game. The Eagles fans are already tailgating and will be loud and drunk for the whole game. Both offenses and special teams are “middle of the road” good but the Vikings defense is on another level. I think it will be a low scoring game. Vikings 17 Eagles 13

17. mwcarolina says:
    Oct 22, 2016 9:44 AM

_____

Regardless of how this season turns out, Teddy is going to be just fine. He’ll be a good starting quarterback in this league for many years, maybe with the Vikings. We’ll just see how everything turns out and go from there. I think he’ll be here next year regardless of how things turn out this year because the Vikings aren’t going to trade a damaged asset. They may still need him once he’s able to come back.

18. I expect the Vikings to win tomorrow but I know that they won’t win every game this year. That makes this game one of a handful that they are in danger of losing. They aren’t going to lose at home, so any road game against a quality opponent is something to worry about. Nevertheless, the Vikings coming off a bye and a rookie QB facing that defense, I don’t think it looks good for the Eagles.

19. When did Vikings fans go so down hill?? I remember them always being chill and now they are putting two decent seasons in a row together and think they are the patriots or something. All the crap you guys talk is going to come back to haunt you again like last year in the playoffs. Be humble no need for all the trash 6 weeks in to the season and lol u better pray Bradford stays healthy.

20. alfredogarciashead says:
    Oct 22, 2016 8:14 AM

6 22

————————-

I really feel sorry for people that try to do things they apparently are incapable of. And it’s really pathetic when one is incapable of doing something low level such as trolling.

You see, you don’t have to “Say Gary Anderson”. Blair Walsh, due to his gimme miss last year, already is a “thing” in the long list of Viking disappointments. Or you could point out that we’ve had only one playoff win in more than a decade. Or of course ten0-4 in Super Bowls and the 0-5 in NFC championship games since then. Or the metronome collapse, or Tice scalping tickets. And let’s not forget the love boat.

The Vikings have a rich history of trolling worthy events. Try to do a bit better,OK? And please set aside how much of a failure you are in having to get trolling instructions from one of your targets.

21. it’s raining in phila today. and temple played at linc last nite. field condition could be a factor

plus 20 mile per hour winds tomorrow.

vikes offense probably struggles in the elements.

22. As a Vikes fan, I am pumped up for this game. The games to enjoy are the ones against quality opponents. Wentz may be a rookie but has shown he is more than capable of helping his team win. Philly’s team looks like a solid team this year. I think our defense is going to make it hard on the Philly offense, but against a quality team in the NFL anything can happen. Should be a really exciting game to watch! I can’t wish Philly fans good luck this week, but I can say I will enjoy seeing our two teams on the field to duke it out.

SKOL!

23. I’m surprised, and glad, to see the insanity at an all-time low. Very few inaccuracies, only a little paranoia, and no yip-yapping from the porch.

We’ll start with the paranoia… someone said (paraphrasing) “The Bradford trade has worked out great, no matter what some people say.” I haven’t seen anyone say it hasn’t worked out and if they did say it, they’re insane.

Woeful inaccuracy 1… someone else said (again, paraphrasing) “Bridgewater is done because of this trade.” No… Teddy’s done because of the injury that prompted the trade. I survived a similar injury that was, believe it or not, even worse. I tore EVERY ligament except the LCL, I “pocketed” the meniscus, AND I snapped the Tib-Fib INSIDE the joint. My lower leg was LITERALLY hanging from my upper leg by one ligament and some skin.

After 5 brutal reconstructions, I still ended up with a total knee replacement, although I still have my natural kneecap. Because of this, I know just a bit about knees, how they work, and what they can come back from. Teddy will likely walk just fine. He might even run a little. He’s not playing football again. He’s just not, and that’s a shame. Purple lunacy notwithstanding, I’ve always liked Teddy.

Inaccuracy 2… this may not be woeful but I think it’s way overly optimistic. Someone said (again, paraphrasing) “The Vikings would still be 5-0 with Teddy.” Hmmmm… Maybe…? I’d say they’d probably be 5-0 IF Teddy made the huge jump most of you just assumed he’d make. Oddly enough, it would have taken every bit of that huge jump and then some for him to throw as well as Bradford is throwing, without getting spooked and running every other play, thereby getting himself crushed.

Bradford is right now much better than anything we ever saw from Teddy. Teddy may have gotten there, but he may not have. We’ll probably never know. I hate it for Teddy, but I like it for Bradford. I always like it when a “bust” proves his haters wrong.

24. officialgame says:
    Oct 22, 2016 10:37 AM
    skol4life says:
    Oct 22, 2016 12:10 AM

“Thanks Philly for Bradford. You might have handed us the SB”.

————————
    I don’t need to be told how good Wentz is. I’m a NDSU fan and watched almost every game he has played and even a couple High School games. The day after the draft I was trying to tell Eagles fans that where mad about giving up those picks that he was already the best player on the team. I also said the rest of the offense sucks. I guess I am smart because I was right on both counts

25. Didn’t the Redskins just beat the Eagles? The Redskins?

I like the Vikes chances in this one.

26. Vikings win by 2 TD’s sack Carson 4-6 times and pick him off at least once, and cause a fumble.
    (lets see if this gets modded out like my last 4 posts)
    If it does I’d love to know why?

27. ni1985 says:
    Oct 22, 2016 1:44 PM
    Thank you for the 2016 season turd bay trolls! ALWAYS NEXT YEAR!
    //////////////////////////////

The season is over? The Vikings won the SuperBowl? Just like you predicted?

Congratulations. I guess.

Oh………one last thing……don’t skip your meds tonight.

28. Stellar,

Please don’t engage the lunatic. It’s like our mom’s always said “Ignore it and it will go away.” If nobody responds, or even bothers with thumbs down, it will get bored and go bother the fans of some other sport. Yay for us.

29. The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Oct 22, 2016 7:18 PM
    Stellar,

————————
    A Packer troll telling another Packer troll to ignore a Viking fan on a Viking post… Classic!!

30. The fact that you’re pouting over the lunatic pretty much tells us all we need to know about you. And I have never once trolled the Vikings. It’s called integrity. Sadly, kids like you are unable to grasp that.

31. Bradford’s familiarity with the Eagles D should be a plus. The Vikings need to really get the run game going- and I think it can be done against the Eagles. They really spread the D line (hook-9 or something like that)- leaving some nice seams to run through- and haven’t been real good (to this point) at stopping the run. The O-line needs to step up big. Then roll with a heavy-dose of play-action.

Steve- I hear ya about pumping the brakes- but last years Falcons didn’t have a D like the current Vikings. But yeah- let’s pump them a bit.

Here’s to no injuries. Skol!

32. skol4life says:
    Oct 22, 2016 7:51 PM
    The Almighty Cabbage says:
    Oct 22, 2016 7:18 PM
    Stellar,

————————
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I can respect a fan posting for their team, but when someone who has insulted the Vikings AND their fans as many times as this guy, I have ZERO, (0), Zip, NADA
    respect for them whatsoever! I don’t want a fair weather fan
    cheering the team that I have supported and loved through DECADES of good seasons and bad. Go away, we don’t want you AllMinorLettuceLeaf……..
    Viking fans unite with me on this!

33. You don’t have to have respect for me. I get it… I’ve helped you make a fool out of yourself more than most. You just… make it so easy.

I show up, offer some solid thoughts, and even asked Stellar not to rile up the lunatic. All was well… until a purple wanted to talk crazy at me about the lunatic. And now here you are. Well, okay, if you really want me to help you make a fool of yourself yet again, we can do that. It won’t go any better for you this time but go ahead… give it your very best.

34. mnvikes1961 says:
    Oct 22, 2016 8:39 PM

Please- don’t get the Cabbage excited.

He’ll post endlessly about how intellectually superior he is to everyone.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is typical. All was well until one of the purples wanted to talk crazy at me. I put it in its place and now you want to cry about it.

35. Do you kids REALLY live in a world where you think you can talk to people any old way you want to and then you boo hoo when the big meanies talk back to you? Boy, are you in for a rude awakening…